PDA

View Full Version : American Werewolf in London coming

Brian Gaddis
06-30-2009, 05:28 PM
An American Werewolf in London is coming out this summer, according to blu-ray.com:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3000

Landis raved about the transfer, but the line "the negative has been digitally cleaned up" still scares me. I'm much more afraid of the Noise Reduction monster than werewolves.

Ian Jane
06-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Awesome news.

Vincent Pereira
06-30-2009, 07:48 PM
"Digital cleaning" doesn't necessarily mean excessive DNR/grain reduction. In the case of AMERICAN WEREWOLF, there are lots of rather nasty looking opticals in the film loaded with printed-in dirt, etc. I imagine these have been brought into line visually with the rest of the footage for the Blu-ray.

Vincent

Don May Jr
06-30-2009, 08:31 PM
You know, I have the HD-DVD of AMERICAN WEREWOLF and I have yet to even watch it! I wonder if it's the same transfer that will be used for Blu? If it's Universal, I fear the BD version may suffer the same fate as THE THING did. The HD-DVD of THE THING was nice, but additional DVNR and noise reduction was applied when it hit BD. Let's hope they don't do this with AMERICAN WEREWOLF.

Griffin B.
06-30-2009, 08:41 PM
Landis intervened when the technicians at Universal did 'too good' a job on ANIMAL HOUSE so I wouldn't worry about this one.

Anyone know if the new AWIL doco will be on this disc? I recall hearing that Universal weren't interested/were against it and the only reason it got made was because the rights to the movie belong to another company in the U.K. who gave their blessing.

Bill Piper
06-30-2009, 10:00 PM
The HD-DVD is actually pretty good contrary to some reviews out there. I watched it just the other week and thought it looked great. My only beef is that the audio was way too low. I had to literally turn up my receiver to full volume and it yet, it didn't seem as loud as it should.

William D'Annucci
07-01-2009, 06:43 AM
Are they still going to screw-up the sound mix like before? Once again, I'm amazed that I seem to be the only one pissed that gunshots in a classic movie get replaced by this modern macho RAT-TAT-TAT nonsense.

Brian Gaddis
07-01-2009, 07:47 AM
THE THING was nice, but additional DVNR and noise reduction was applied when it hit BD.

You just drove a stake through my heart. I was wanting to pick that disc up. :(

Ian Jane
07-01-2009, 09:58 AM
I never got around to picking up the HD-DVD, my player choked before I got to it, but was it really that bad?

Don May Jr
07-01-2009, 10:38 AM
THE THING HD-DVD vs BD pix via AVS FORUM.
Be aware, these pix take a while to load on slower connections.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1071469

Let's hope they don't soften WEREWOLF like this.

Brian Gaddis
07-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Sickening. I was excited about The Thing Blu-ray based on the positive reviews from what are obviously incompetent review sites. Are there any sites or reviewers who actually know what they're talking about when it comes to this stuff?

You saved me some money, Don.

cworkman
07-03-2009, 04:56 PM
I've kept my HD of THE THING, and may do the same with AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON. I'll just have to wait and see what the finished product looks like. There are too many films out there on BD I don't have on HD to worry about "upgrading" on films that aren't going to look better...

Jeffrey Allen Rydell
07-03-2009, 05:54 PM
I'm sure Don would agree that the THING BD is still a major step up from the last DVD release.

That said, I've got the HD DVD, and it does indeed look extraordinary.

Bill Piper
07-03-2009, 09:09 PM
The Thing HD-DVD is probably my favorite HD disc of both formats (I own around 100 discs).

Dick Ringeisen
07-03-2009, 09:56 PM
... the THING BD is still a major step up from the last DVD release...

Exactly. The HD-DVD of The Thing may be a bit better and more correct than the BD, however both are still better than the DVD.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare6/thething.htm

Jeffrey Allen Rydell
07-03-2009, 10:40 PM
Exactly. The HD-DVD of The Thing may be a bit better and more correct than the BD, however both are still better than the DVD.
And just to drive the point home - *quite a bit* better than the DVD. The BD is not in any way a weak transfer, taken on its own terms. It's not smeary or videoish in the slightest.

BUT - it does lack the 'bite' of the HD DVD's deepest detail - and a bit more of its filmic texture. It certainly could (and should) have been left as it was.

But it's not to be avoided, either.

Vincent Pereira
07-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Hey Don, since you've been ripping HD-DVDs and Blu-ray and playing with re-encoding, how about ripping the HD-DVD video of THE THING and syncing it with the lossless audio from the Blu-ray? :)

Vincent

Don May Jr
07-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Hey Don, since you've been ripping HD-DVDs and Blu-ray and playing with re-encoding, how about ripping the HD-DVD video of THE THING and syncing it with the lossless audio from the Blu-ray? :)

Vincent

Vincent, you are a mind-reader, I think! I was thinking of doing JUST that a couple days ago. Right now, I've been gung-ho on backing up my HD DVD collection, so I haven't had a chance to do any BD yet.

cworkman
07-04-2009, 10:39 PM
My only problem with the HD for AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF is the amount of grain in the first ten minutes or so.... After that it seems to settle down.

Otherwise, the film has never looked better. On DVD I was never able to read all the details on the signs and posters in the subway or in the phone booth, etc. But on BD it's all there in such terrific detail that it pops right off the screen.

Jeffrey Allen Rydell
07-05-2009, 01:09 AM
My only problem with the HD for AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF is the amount of grain in the first ten minutes or so.... After that it seems to settle down.
Opticals - titles and dissolves. Ain't no avoiding it.

Still lots of room for improvement in that transfer aside from them, however.

Brian Gaddis
07-13-2009, 05:59 PM
More details up from Digital Bits:

Here's a great one: Universal has just set John Landis' An American Werewolf in London: Full Moon Edition for DVD and Blu-ray release on 9/15 (SRP $19.98 and $26.98). The Blu-ray is a loaded BD-50, while the DVD is a 2-disc set. Extras will include two completely new bonus features: The 100-minute Beware the Moon retrospective documentary (featuring Landis and Rick Baker) and the I Walked with a Werewolf featurette. You'll also get the previously released features, including audio commentary with cast members David Naughton and Griffin Dunne, 4 featurettes (Making An American Werewolf in London: An Original Featurette, An Interview with John Landis, Make-up Artist Rick Baker on An American Werewolf in London and Casting of the Hand), outtakes, storyboards and a photo montage. The Blu-ray will also feature BD-Live access. Audio is Dolby Digital 5.1 on DVD and DTS-HD MA 5.1 on Blu-ray.

Mike T
07-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Is it just me or does this cover...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/whitedragon68/awlbd.jpg

...look suspiciously like one esteemed Maniacs "personality" Mr Allison mocked up in one of the "worst dvd cover" threads a while back (which has now gone)? The use of Big Ben was what gives it away. Has someone been moonlighting? :D

Pete Bogh
07-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Wow, that's fucking awful!

Griffin B.
07-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Its no worse than this:

http://www.rankopedia.com/CandidatePix/29038.gif

If a giant rubbery wolf's head isn't enough, its also got "dynamite direction and script!".

Perhaps they should have gone with this:

http://www.horror-movies.ca/albums/userpics/An_American_Werewolf_in_London-German-Poster.jpg

...or my personal favourite:

http://www.moviegoods.com/Assets/product_images/1020/401289.1020.A.jpg

Mike T
09-06-2009, 10:18 AM
DVD Beaver now have a review up, and frame grabs...

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews46/an_american_werewolf_in_london_blu-ray.htm

...but as always with DVD Beaver, if you haven't seen the film then there's spoliers galore in the frame grabs they've selected. Otherwise, those who have seen the film might be suitably impressed by what they see -- am certain that I'll be buying this one on release :)

Todd J
09-06-2009, 11:05 AM
You know, I have the HD-DVD of AMERICAN WEREWOLF and I have yet to even watch it! I wonder if it's the same transfer that will be used for Blu? If it's Universal, I fear the BD version may suffer the same fate as THE THING did. The HD-DVD of THE THING was nice, but additional DVNR and noise reduction was applied when it hit BD. Let's hope they don't do this with AMERICAN WEREWOLF.

Can the everyday schmo really tell the difference between the two? I mean, where you do that stuff for a living your more aware of what's what. But someone like me, who just likes to watch the movies and isn't as concerned with things like this as much, would I really notice the difference to such a point that I'd be disappointed? I thought the Thing looked great, but I was fine with the DVD release om years back.

cworkman
09-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Methinks the cover is an attempt to emulate the look of the new THE WOLF MAN...

Ian Jane
09-08-2009, 01:38 PM
I watched the BD last night and yeah, it looked pretty good to my eyes. I didn't have the HD DVD so I can't say how it compares to that but the BD looks pretty decent.

Patrick B.
09-08-2009, 02:06 PM
The rB cover is far better then rA:

http://www.thehollywoodnews.com/thn/assets_c/2009/08/an-american-werewolf-in-london-blu-ray-thumb-500x767-1132.jpg

Luis Domenech
09-09-2009, 01:22 PM
'American Werewolf' will be the release that will become the "make-or-break" factor in deciding if I should jump into the format. I've been contemplating picking up the BD version of everything I buy from this point on, starting with this movie, after initial skepticism but I gotta say I'm not 100% convinced that EVERYTHING will look substantially better on BluRay. I have a high-end Denon DVD player hooked up to a Panasonic 720p plasma TV via an HDMI cable and I've been really impressed with the PQ of most of my SD DVDs, so much so that I still remain a bit reluctant to join the BD club. Part of that may be because I have a large DVD collection. Yet another issue is the possibility of me becoming so impressed with BluRay that I'm never gonna want to watch another SD DVD and I don't want that to happen. And now with some reviews of AWIL coming in a little negative on the PQ I'm not sure what to do.

Dick Ringeisen
09-09-2009, 01:45 PM
'American Werewolf' will be the release that will become the "make-or-break" factor in deciding if I should jump into the format. I've been contemplating picking up the BD version of everything I buy from this point on, starting with this movie, after initial skepticism but I gotta say I'm not 100% convinced that EVERYTHING will look substantially better on BluRay. I have a high-end Denon DVD player hooked up to a Panasonic 720p plasma TV via an HDMI cable and I've been really impressed with the PQ of most of my SD DVDs, so much so that I still remain a bit reluctant to join the BD club. Part of that may be because I have a large DVD collection. Yet another issue is the possibility of me becoming so impressed with BluRay that I'm never gonna want to watch another SD DVD and I don't want that to happen. And now with some reviews of AWIL coming in a little negative on the PQ I'm not sure what to do.

Don't bee too concerned. if you already like DVD's, BD won't maek you dislike your current collection. About the worst you'll think is, "It would be nice if all my DVD's were BD......"

If there were BD equivalents for all my DVD's, and I could exchange my DVD's for those BD's, I would.

I also have a high end DVD player, the now disontinued Oppo 983. It plays DVD's as well as their new BD player. Still, upconverted DVD on this high-end DVD player is not as good as most of the BD equivalents out there.

Myself, I rarely buy DVD's for more than $3-$5 a piece anymore. Partially because I have most of what I want, I also rent, and also because I'd rather wait for a BD release. The only exceptions recently have been with Code Red, since they act as though they may fold soon. I did buy their recent DVD releases of Strangeness, Choke Canyon, etc for about $12-$14 a piece. Both look ebtter than I saw them on VHS, so I'm OK with those purchases. Still, I rarely pay that much for DVD anymore, so it was an exception.

I recently watched the BD relase of Creepshow. It was nice. A favorite movie for me, and seeing it on BD was great. Though the Region 2 DVD has a 5.1 mix and the BD doesn't, I'd still rather watch this BD over the R2 DVD. The picture quality is noticeably better.

I have thousands of DVD's. I won't be getting rid of them, and will continue to watch them. I paid for them, the quality is good and better than VHS, they don't take up much space, and also resale value is pretty much shit. ;) I'm stuck with them. They'll be with me for a while. But BD is a better format, and it's pretty much all I buy and rent now. Only exceptions are if it's a rental and there is not a BD yet available, it's a DVD going OOP that I want and I don't see a BD release on the horizon, or if the DVD is about $5 or less used or new.