PDA

View Full Version : Gojira on Blu, baby!

Kristian R
05-06-2009, 06:36 PM
September 22

http://www.fangoria.com/home/news/16-dvd-a-blu-ray/2356-gojira-stomps-onto-blu-ray.html

cworkman
05-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Awe-some!

Jocke_A
05-07-2009, 03:10 AM
Ok. Now I have to get a PS3. I promised myself that the starting point for my serious bluray collecting would be Gojira. And here it is.

Chuk H
05-07-2009, 05:02 AM
Not a surprising release since $ony released the dvd.

Ian Jane
05-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Fuck. That's super rad.

Jason S
05-08-2009, 10:52 AM
They better use the new restored version that was shown on a Japanese HD channel.

I LOVE this film, but would prefer just about any other Gojira film on BD over the original, especially since Godzilla:King of the Monsters WILL NOT in this set.
Fuckers.
Jackson's Kong, Carpenter's The Thing, The Host. All BD titles that had incomplete extras compared to their dvd counterpart.

Monster movie fans are getting the shaft on BD.

Sorry about shitting in the punchbowl.

cworkman
05-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Now that they've announced this won't contain GODZILLA KING OF MONSTERS, I'm going to boycott it. Not because I love it over the original GOJIRA (I really like them both), but because they have the capacity and capability of releasing this easily onto Blu-ray, yet they aren't doing so. That's ridiculous. So it's boycott time. These studios have to learn that they can't screw over fans and get away with it.

Jason S
05-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Now that they've announced this won't contain GODZILLA KING OF MONSTERS, I'm going to boycott it. Not because I love it over the original GOJIRA (I really like them both), but because they have the capacity and capability of releasing this easily onto Blu-ray, yet they aren't doing so. That's ridiculous. So it's boycott time. These studios have to learn that they can't screw over fans and get away with it.

Agreed, unless I find a used and preferably "screener" copy, no sale.
And that depends on the reviews of the transfers, I have a bad feeling it's not going to be from the recently re-mastered version.

J.L. Carrozza
05-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Toho has restored and remastered the film for high def (a 720p version is on various torrent sites), so hopefully CM will be using that.

King of the Monsters, a far inferior cut anyways of Honda's brilliant masterpiece, is not on the BD for a reason. If you think the materials for Gojira are in bad shape, the US version is even more dire straits. Classic Media only has SD materials and they couldn't even afford to get their hands on a 35mm print of the US Rodan and do a new transfer for their DVD set of it, so they cannot do the same for this either. Granted, I wish they had tossed it on the disc in standard def, but more as a curiosity and special feature.

I personally can do without it anyways, once one has gone Godzilla with no Raymond Burr, one truly cannot go back.

What this means, hopefully, is that more are a comin'. Mothra vs. Godzilla, Invasion of Astro Monster and War of the Gargantuas would all look smashing in high def. Hopefully Toho did some string blurring for their HD remasters, though. Even seeing them on DVD makes the piano wire Eiji Tsuburaya's unit used to make things fly and Godzilla's tail swing all the more visible.

Steve R
05-08-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm a purist. Godzilla with no Raymond Burr? Doesn't do it for me.

I know that may sound absurd but that was the original I grew up with and the one I respond to better. Rodan, Mothra, too.

J.L. Carrozza
05-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Actually, you're a purist if you like the Japanese original. Fans of King of the Monsters are more nostalgia fans. I first saw the King of the Monsters version as a kid and always found it rather dull save for the very nightmare-inducing human carnage stuff that was left in. I didn't even like the original Godzilla that much until I saw the Japanese original as a kid. It definitely felt much more *like it* to me from the get go.

Honestly, some will disagree, but I feel similar toward Godzilla, King of the Monsters as I do toward the Argento "Zombie" cut of Dawn of the Dead. Inherently and objectively they're still good films, but they gut out too much of the originals' very deep political subtexts.

The whole point and most interesting aspect of Honda's Gojira is it's very tragic element and anti-war sentiments. The Burr cut takes the majority of this out and brings it down to the level of something like Them or The Giant Behemoth. It was a good business decision, though as most American's in 1956 still vividly remembered seeing footage of the Bataan Death March in US propaganda docs and referred to the Japanese as "the Japs" and the film is not bad, but Honda's original film is true Japanese programmer art to me. Godzilla, King of the Monsters is just an above average B sci-fier.

Ian F
05-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Agreed, unless I find a used and preferably "screener" copy, no sale.
And that depends on the reviews of the transfers, I have a bad feeling it's not going to be from the recently re-mastered version.

You mean the ability to listen to those three wonderful commentators and watching what is most likely an upscaled master (this is classic media after all) isn't good enough! :D

Jason S
05-08-2009, 05:19 PM
What this means, hopefully, is that more are a comin'. Mothra vs. Godzilla, Invasion of Astro Monster and War of the Gargantuas would all look smashing in high def. Hopefully Toho did some string blurring for their HD remasters, though. Even seeing them on DVD makes the piano wire Eiji Tsuburaya's unit used to make things fly and Godzilla's tail swing all the more visible.

Nope, I saw plenty of strings, eye holes and painted backdrops remastered in glorious 1080i. :p

I loved every second.

Ian F
05-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Nope, I saw plenty of strings, eye holes and painted backdrops remastered in glorious 1080i. :p

I loved every second.

Besides on the actual 35MM prints they are even more visible (depending on the color timing), it's like suggesting someone go back and fucking with the prints to remove them.

A bunch of wires isn't going to ruin my love for the Big G.

I think it's just a part of how for many of us, we first saw these movies on TV and VHS, then the move to DVD and HD. I'd be interesting in hearing what people who saw them in theater remembered. I know when I saw Gojira in a theater, I could see tons of wires. It's just part of the fun.

Darcy Parker
05-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Not a surprising release since $ony released the dvd.

Wow, what a rebel! Using a $ instead of an S. You are so cool! Fight the machine!

Tool.

Brad Thompson
05-08-2009, 10:47 PM
If you think the materials for Gojira are in bad shape, the US version is even more dire straits. Classic Media only has SD materials and they couldn't even afford to get their hands on a 35mm print of the US Rodan and do a new transfer for their DVD set of it, so they cannot do the same for this either.

Are you sure they couldn't afford better materials or just didn't care to put any extra effort in locating them? In the past three months I've come across a 16mm print of GKOTM (with extra footage not seen in any home video format) and a 35mm print of RODAN for a few thousand dollars.

once one has gone Godzilla with no Raymond Burr, one truly cannot go back.

Please. I own Toho's 40th Anniversay laserdisc boxset, their R2, a torrent of their new hi-def transfer, have seen it three times in theaters and I'd certainly rather watch the Burr cut.

Hopefully Toho did some string blurring for their HD remasters, though. Even seeing them on DVD makes the piano wire Eiji Tsuburaya's unit used to make things fly and Godzilla's tail swing all the more visible.

But that would mean tampering with Honda's brilliant masterpiece and not appreciating what was originally shown in Japanese theaters! And here I thought you were a purist...

Fans of King of the Monsters are more nostalgia fans.

Some, but not all. I've also seen the film dubbed in French, Italian and German; my favorite version of all being the French cut which is a hybrid of GOJIRA and GKOTM. I guess I'm really living dangerously.

J.L. Carrozza
05-08-2009, 11:53 PM
If Eiji Tsuburaya had computers with digital intermediate back in the 50s and 60s, he would have had a technician at one blurring out his wires in post production as quickly as the film was printed. If I had to guess, I'll bet he did everything he could to hide those wires and was annoyed that he could never fully mask them.

Blurring the wires is not throwing in a sequence where Godzilla battles a CGI Dewback, this is simply enhancing the films in as non-intrusive a way one can. It's not much far removed from digitally removing grain and scratches, which Criterion does every day.

As for preferring King of the Monsters over Gojira, this is coming from a man who likes Godzilla 1985 better than Return of Godzilla (it is a slicker cut, but still). Sounds like someone has a Raymond Burr fetish.

August Ragone
05-10-2009, 03:38 PM
Personally, I like both versions... it's kind of like GODZILLA is the incident, and GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS is a retelling of the story from another character's perspective. Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.

"If Eiji Tsuburaya had computers with digital intermediate back in the 50s and 60s, he would have had a technician at one blurring out his wires in post production as quickly as the film was printed. If I had to guess, I'll bet he did everything he could to hide those wires and was annoyed that he could never fully mask them."

Absolutely true. Tsuburaya and his crew did do their damnest to conceal wires; and if he had today's technology—Tsuburaya was keenly interested in the latest things, hence his purchase of one of two Oxberry 1200 optical printers in 1964 (the other was purchased by Disney)—so yes, he would have indeed removed/blurred them.

Ian F said, "Besides on the actual 35MM prints they are even more visible."

I've seen all of the films in theaters, on both sides of the Pacific, and I can tell you that I've seen more visible wires in the DVD transfers than I have ever seen in the actual 35mm prints. With that being said, in Toho's "International Version" of DESTROY ALL MONSTERS, I could see all of the wires operating the puppet Rodan rising out of the water with his prey, while in the AIP version, there was nary a wire visible.

The bottom line is, Tsuburaya wouldn't want anyone to see the wires... And if we all looking for the "strings, eye holes and painted backdrops", we're not enjoying the films, we're looking for flaws... what's that saying about the forrest and the trees?

To Chuk H, Sony has nothing to do with this release or any of the Classic Media releases. Sony Music was originally a distributor, who got the finished product into stores, and nothing more. CM's current distributor is Genius Products. They have nothing to do with DVD/Blu-ray content, either.

mark t
05-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Wow, what a rebel! Using a $ instead of an S. You are so cool! Fight the machine!

Tool.

Sarcasm is one thing, calling somebody else a Tool is another. I'm sure that you can make your point without resorting to name calling, Mr. Parker.

cworkman
05-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Sarcasm is one thing, calling somebody else a Tool is another. I'm sure that you can make your point without resorting to name calling, Mr. Parker.

Actually, if he was calling you a Tool, he didn't do a very good job of it, since he placed it in the position most would place their signatures. Meaning: He (perhaps inadvertently) called himself a Tool. Perhaps he will choose to be a bit more judicious (i.e., smarter) in the future... :(

cworkman
05-10-2009, 04:21 PM
Actually, you're a purist if you like the Japanese original. Fans of King of the Monsters are more nostalgia fans. I first saw the King of the Monsters version as a kid and always found it rather dull save for the very nightmare-inducing human carnage stuff that was left in. I didn't even like the original Godzilla that much until I saw the Japanese original as a kid. It definitely felt much more *like it* to me from the get go.

Honestly, some will disagree, but I feel similar toward Godzilla, King of the Monsters as I do toward the Argento "Zombie" cut of Dawn of the Dead. Inherently and objectively they're still good films, but they gut out too much of the originals' very deep political subtexts.

The whole point and most interesting aspect of Honda's Gojira is it's very tragic element and anti-war sentiments. The Burr cut takes the majority of this out and brings it down to the level of something like Them or The Giant Behemoth. It was a good business decision, though as most American's in 1956 still vividly remembered seeing footage of the Bataan Death March in US propaganda docs and referred to the Japanese as "the Japs" and the film is not bad, but Honda's original film is true Japanese programmer art to me. Godzilla, King of the Monsters is just an above average B sci-fier.

Actually, you're a true purist if you like BOTH versions and will settle for nothing less than both...

Forgetting the back and forth about which version is better (because I don't care), both versions have merit and offer something different to discerning Godzilla/Gojira fans, and to leave off the American print, which is essentially a different beast altogether and worthy of inclusion, is a sin, despite the quality of the transfer. And it should be placed in the disc in hi-def, not standard def. Why do I feel this smacks more of greed on Classic Media's part than it is a question of quality? They probably think they can re-release it in a year with the additional version, and we'll all go and rebuy it once more. But I ain't even gonna buy it the first time, because I choose not to give these moneygrubbers my money, which they already got with the standard release twice (once as a standalone, and then again when they released the massive box set).

Kristian R
05-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Tools.