PDA

View Full Version : The Wall in HD...

Ian Jane
04-20-2009, 09:42 PM
...is playing on Palladia right now and it looks pretty damn good.

I'm not a huge Pink Floyd fan but I would buy this in a heartbeat.

Jeffrey Allen Rydell
04-20-2009, 10:08 PM
Me too. I think its an incredibly underrated, massively influential film. Probably the best thing Alan Parker's ever done.

Oh, and I like Pink Floyd fine, was never one of the 'cultists', but probably enjoy the Roger Waters 'genius years' the least. And he kinda is a genius. I just like the first genius better, and really enjoy the mid-period space rock stuff the most for sheer listenability. The Waters manifestos are great, but get exhausting.

Which the film version of THE WALL most assuredly is as well. It ain't for all moods.

Ian Jane
04-20-2009, 10:37 PM
True dat on all accounts. I like'm enough, after years or not liking them at all, but yeah, I'm not a member of the cult of Floyd, just a casual fan at best. I really like the movie though. It's beautiful and macabre and the music fits so well with the visuals.

mark t
04-20-2009, 10:46 PM
I'll pick that up on Blu Ray in a heartbeat if it makes it's way to Canada.

Ian Jane
04-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Well it's not been announced or anything, but the HDTV broadcast is at least a good sign. It looked like it had been quite well restored.

Jeffrey Allen Rydell
04-20-2009, 11:50 PM
Oh, it's a natural for Blu-ray. Eye candy, super-ear candy, a cult movie on two fronts, ready-to-go special edition content, and MGM/Sony/Fox/Whoever's never been shy about getting it out there. It'll happen, and soon.

mark t
04-20-2009, 11:52 PM
Looking forward to hearing that uncompressed soundtrack as well....drool. Looks like a new receiver is in the immediate future.

Jeffrey Allen Rydell
04-20-2009, 11:55 PM
Looking forward to hearing that uncompressed soundtrack as well....drool.
Exactly the reaction they'll be counting on from Floyd fans. It'll be the lynchpin of the marketing.

Vincent Pereira
04-21-2009, 12:05 AM
...but yeah, I'm not a member of the cult of Floyd, just a casual fan at best...

I am a member of the "cult of Floyd" and proud of it :)

Probably the most influential "pop" music I've ever heard has been the Floyd. I can still remember the first time I heard 'Welcome to the Machine' (the song that broke my Pink Floyd cherry) blasting in my older brother's car stereo while I was being given a ride somewhere when I was 12. The way I looked at music was never the same. I never knew that sound alone could affect me emotionally the way that song did to me.

In any case, if Alan Parker's film of PINK FLOYD THE WALL turns up on Blu-ray, count me in :)

Vincent

Vincent Pereira
04-21-2009, 12:07 AM
Looking forward to hearing that uncompressed soundtrack as well....drool. Looks like a new receiver is in the immediate future.

Interestingly, the DVD is one of the few that has an uncompressed soundtrack. It actually has a 2.0 PCM digital track along with a Dolby Digital 5.1 track.

Gilmour* has also been at the forefront of audio purity when it comes to Floyd DVDs. The DVD of PULSE actually has a 640 KB/S Dolby Digital soundtrack, even though 640 KB/S Dolby Digital isn't a part of the 'official' DVD spec and thus isn't compatible with all players.

Vincent

* Seeing a how THE WALL is (mostly) Roger Water's baby...

Jeffrey Allen Rydell
04-21-2009, 12:14 AM
Interestingly, the DVD is one of the few that has an uncompressed soundtrack. It actually has a 2.0 PCM digital track along with a Dolby Digital 5.1 track.
Forgot about that!

mark t
04-21-2009, 01:09 AM

Gilmour* has also been at the forefront of audio purity when it comes to Floyd DVDs. The DVD of PULSE actually has a 640 KB/S Dolby Digital soundtrack, even though 640 KB/S Dolby Digital isn't a part of the 'official' DVD spec and thus isn't compatible with all players.

Vincent

* Seeing a how THE WALL is (mostly) Roger Water's baby...

Gilmour is the man, pushing the envelope even at his age. :)

I love the 2.0 PCM soundtrack, but like all nerds, i want that shit SURROUND. Just like hearing DARK SIDE in quad for the first time....orgasmic.

Goddam, do I love Floyd....favourite band of all time.

Jeffrey Allen Rydell
04-21-2009, 03:56 AM
Gilmour is the man, pushing the envelope even at his age. :)
Well, it's that or suffocate*.

*Sorry. Too easy?

Todd J
04-21-2009, 08:19 AM
Yeah I watched a few minutes of it and it does look nice. I don't like the movie though. I dig the band, but the movie left me cold. Maybe it's the whole "you gotta see it while your stoned" or something. Turned me off in college. Maybe I should give it another chance sometime.

There's lots of movies that they play on the HD channels that don't have even a decent DVD release let alone an HD release. Humanoids From The Deep comes to mind.

Ian Z.
04-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Me too. I think its an incredibly underrated, massively influential film. Probably the best thing Alan Parker's ever done.

Isn't it generally accepted that Roger Waters pretty much controlled everything while Alan Parker was essentially a hired hand with film experience? That is, Alan Parker's name may be on it, but I didn't think he really felt he made the movie.

Steve P.
04-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Yeah I watched a few minutes of it and it does look nice. I don't like the movie though. I dig the band, but the movie left me cold. Maybe it's the whole "you gotta see it while your stoned" or something. Turned me off in college. Maybe I should give it another chance sometime.

I'm a lifelong Floyd fan but I never like The Wall film much either. There's some wonderful visuals to be seen, but I've always found the film to be relentlessly busy and over the top.

Jeffrey Allen Rydell
04-21-2009, 06:54 PM
Isn't it generally accepted that Roger Waters pretty much controlled everything while Alan Parker was essentially a hired hand with film experience? That is, Alan Parker's name may be on it, but I didn't think he really felt he made the movie.
Well, Parker's all over the DVD extras, so he's certainly not distancing himself by any means.

Waters was heavily, even heavy-handedly involved, but I've never gotten any indication that Parker feels the film is any less his for Waters' participation. Waters had initially planned for the film to be primarily a live document of the band's stage show.

Vincent Pereira
04-22-2009, 12:52 AM

No. In fact, when it became clear during pre-production that Waters and Parker were just not going to be able to work together during filming, Waters reluctantly agreed to go "on Holiday" during the entire shooting of the film, leaving Parker alone to adapt Water's magnum opus. Waters returned during editing, but by that time the film had become Parker's baby, so to speak. The fact that Waters has voiced his own reservations about the film for many years now pretty much concedes this point- that the film had ceased to be Waters, and became Parker's baby. If Waters had truly been the man in charge all along, I doubt he'd have anything bad to say about it.

Vincent

Vincent Pereira
04-22-2009, 12:56 AM
Well, Parker's all over the DVD extras, so he's certainly not distancing himself by any means.

Waters was heavily, even heavy-handedly involved, but I've never gotten any indication that Parker feels the film is any less his for Waters' participation. Waters had initially planned for the film to be primarily a live document of the band's stage show.

Kind of. The film was supposed to be a mixture of a filming of the actual live concert (which actually took place during the Wall shows in London, but that footage has never been seen publicly), combined with Scarfe's animations and some newly shot material. When it was decided that the concert footage wasn't up to snuff (apparently due to the concert lighting not being able to be adjusted for photographing it in 35mm during the live shows), the original idea was scrapped and we ultimately wound up with the film we have now.

Oh, and re: Parker being on the extras- let's not forget he did a commentary for PINK FLOYD THE WALL on LaserDisc, but that commentary was not carried over for the DVD. I still have that LD (thank you, Don May!) :)

Vincent

mark t
04-22-2009, 07:00 AM
Kind of. The film was supposed to be a mixture of a filming of the actual live concert (which actually took place during the Wall shows in London, but that footage has never been seen publicly), combined with Scarfe's animations and some newly shot material. When it was decided that the concert footage wasn't up to snuff (apparently due to the concert lighting not being able to be adjusted for photographing it in 35mm during the live shows), the original idea was scrapped and we ultimately wound up with the film we have now.

Oh, and re: Parker being on the extras- let's not forget he did a commentary for PINK FLOYD THE WALL on LaserDisc, but that commentary was not carried over for the DVD. I still have that LD (thank you, Don May!) :)

Vincent

The concert footage is a little rough...granted, i think that i have a 5th generation copy of it. :) I just checked my DVD, certain that it had a Parker commentary, but alas, it is GERALD SCARFE. Dammit. I'm envious of your laserdisc copy, Vincent. :)

Jeffrey Allen Rydell
04-22-2009, 03:36 PM

Vincent
Yeah - this is all a bit garbled in my memory. For one, I thought that Parker commentary *had* been carried over, but am obviously thinking of my old LD - which I *don't* still have, myself!

Vincent Pereira
04-22-2009, 08:30 PM
I could always make a DVD-R of the LaserDisc with the commentary if anybody is interested in it.

Vincent

Ryan O
04-23-2009, 03:57 PM
I have to stick with my initial reaction to this film when I saw it as a kid: the whole thing should have been animated. The Gerald Scarfe scenes are the best parts. It's a cool movie, but could have been so much better.

On a similar note, do any Floyd fans here know if the animations Scarfe did for Floyd's live shows ever made their way onto DVD or laserdic, other than as part of the live concerts? There is a promo for "Welcome to the Machine" that plays on VHI Classics all the time, but it's all grainy. Seems like it's taken from an actual film that the band probably carted around to gigs in the 70s.

Ian Jane
04-23-2009, 06:24 PM
I could always make a DVD-R of the LaserDisc with the commentary if anybody is interested in it.

Vincent

I'd actually really like to hear that.

Jeffrey Allen Rydell
04-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Much appreciated, but I'm gonna hold out and see if it pops up on my fantasy 'upcoming BD' - One of the aggregate pleasures for me in listening to a commentary is to also get to experience a film's visual elements outside of the intended context. And if the HD transfer's good, that's the way I'll wanna go.

Ian Z.
04-27-2009, 01:47 PM
No. In fact, when it became clear during pre-production that Waters and Parker were just not going to be able to work together during filming, Waters reluctantly agreed to go "on Holiday" during the entire shooting of the film, leaving Parker alone to adapt Water's magnum opus. Waters returned during editing, but by that time the film had become Parker's baby, so to speak. The fact that Waters has voiced his own reservations about the film for many years now pretty much concedes this point- that the film had ceased to be Waters, and became Parker's baby. If Waters had truly been the man in charge all along, I doubt he'd have anything bad to say about it.

Thanks for clearing that up. Obviously my memory failed me, which wouldn't be the first time!

mark t
04-27-2009, 02:42 PM
For sure, Vincent, if this makes it's way onto BD and doesn't include that commentary, i may come a-callin'. :)