PDA

View Full Version : The first true Region Free Blu-ray player?

Ian Jane
03-24-2009, 11:11 AM
According to HK Flix, the Momitsu BDP-899 will play any DVD reglardless of region, and any Blu-ray disc, regardless of region.

http://www.hkflix.com/hardware/xq/asp/pid.176/qx/details.htm

K.O. Svines
03-24-2009, 11:47 AM
Looks similar to a Tecsonic player, which was sold in Norway a while back. I think they're both no-name OEM's which are branded. The Tecsonic one was confirmed region free on both BD and DVD

mark t
03-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Nice one. I'll look forward to picking one of these up when the price drops some more.

Patrick B.
03-24-2009, 12:04 PM
$349.95 ain't bad for a region free blu-ray player.

mark t
03-24-2009, 12:38 PM
It ain't bad, but since i just bought a PS3, i'll wait before i pick up the all region everything else player. :)

Patrick B.
03-24-2009, 01:19 PM
It ain't bad, but since i just bought a PS3, i'll wait before i pick up the all region everything else player. :)

I understand. I bought the PS3 when it first came out, so I really want a region free Blu-ray player.

Darryl M
03-24-2009, 02:28 PM
$349 is a great price for Momitsu's all region blu ray player, but i'm going to wait a few weeks more to purchase Oppo's all region BR player. I'm very pleased with the Oppo 981 all region DVD player, so I can imagine their BR player will be outstanding as well.

Ian Z.
03-24-2009, 03:19 PM
I'm pretty sure the Oppo will NOT be region-free. Last I heard, they were very specific about that. For obvious legal reasons, they can't release a region free player and don't care to take the risk to include a hack to do so.

Just statin' what I've read from a reliable source (i.e. a beta tester of the upcoming unit).

Alyss N.
03-24-2009, 04:58 PM
Ordered. :D

Ian F
03-24-2009, 05:23 PM

Damn, I knew I should have posted a link of that with my affiliate code. :D

Darryl M
03-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Ian,

You're correct - I had just spoke with customer service at Oppo, asnd their BR player will NOT be region free. I think I'll pass on the Momitsu for now - I don't know anything about the company, and I haven't seen any reviews on the player. I'd be curious to know if it is worth a shot though!

J Fresta
03-24-2009, 06:45 PM
it's $329.99 here:

http://www.xpcgear.com/momitsu-bdp-899-sony-blu-ray-dvd-stand-alone-player-1080p-up-converting-bd-live-hdmi-usb-host.html

cworkman
03-24-2009, 07:26 PM
After someone gets this, he or she will have to post how good it is. I'd be interested in buying such a player, especially if it also plays region free standard DVDs.

Ian Jane
03-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Damn, I knew I should have posted a link of that with my affiliate code. :D

Yeah, please don't. Affiliate codes are for your site.

Eric B
03-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Please share your thoughts about this player after you play with a while. Do you have any region B Blu-rays?

Mattias Karlsson
03-28-2009, 07:15 PM
I'm pretty sure the Oppo will NOT be region-free. Last I heard, they were very specific about that. For obvious legal reasons, they can't release a region free player and don't care to take the risk to include a hack to do so.

Yes, but you can probably unlock it if you I.C.O.S modify it. I'm waiting for the Oppo player.

Zane C.
03-29-2009, 03:30 AM
I'd love to get this player, but I'm concerned about the build quality...HK Flix offers some "name" region free BR players as well, don't they? Or is this Momitsu a better player?

I want a player that will play everything that I throw at it, and not be obsolete in a year. This has BD Live, etc, correct?

I don't mind forking out the $$, but I want something good.

BTW: Has anyone ordered anything like this from HK Flix outside the US? Just curious. I've ordered DVD's from them before, and it was ok, but this is a different ballgame.

Zane C.
03-29-2009, 06:03 AM
Hmmmm....after some more research, I found out as much I could about this player (well, as much as is out there).

It appears Momitsu HAS been around for a while, though not a "huge" name in the DVD world. They apparently had some good upconverting players in the early days, and there's some folks out there giving them kudos. However, it is unclear if this player will be updated by Momitsu...meaning if content on BD's change, this may not be able to support the disc/content. This is an issue, it would seem, and seeing as there's not much info out there right now about this particular player, who knows? This is my understanding of the player as of right now...I could be wrong.

The advertising for it sounds good, but I'm very curious to see if this player will perform up to its claims. If so, it would be fantastic to have a BD player that supports standard DVD, no matter the region, and also BD, no matter the region. Couple this with the fact that it is under the $400 mark, and it's not a bad deal....if it lives up to its own hype.

Right now, this is looking like a budget BD player with region free capabilities...perhaps the first in a string of RF BD players that would be something similar to the region free standard DVD players we have seen flood the market after the mass market selling of DVD players.

I don't know, I may purchase this, but I'm still unsure about build quality and capabilities. For under $400, though, it might be worth a try.

Alyss, please post your thoughts when you get this unit! We're all very curious! :D

Ian Jane
04-01-2009, 05:01 PM
OK, so the player arrived today, though we don't have any Region B BD discs to test it with (yet - that should be remedied tomorrow or Friday depending on the USPS). The machine is set to Japanese language out of the box but changing that to English was no problem and the instruction booklet is in English. The player isn't so much 'region free' as it is 'region changeable' meaning you have to enter a 5 digit remote code to switch from A to B but the change is instant and it does work (once I changed it to Region B it wouldn't play my Fox Region A I Robot disc indicating that the region was indeed B).

PAL and alternate region DVD playback is problem free. I tested the Region 2 Creepshow, Dellamorte Dellamore and Cannibal Ferox discs, no problems with any of them and the upscaling works well - Creepshow in particular looked excellent. DivX, xvid, avi and mp3 playback is all pretty flawless, no problems there at all.

I'm not in love with the remote yet. It's not bad, but I guess I'm so used to the PS3 remote that it just feels weird in my hand. Also, the on screen display is kinda lame - it only shows running time and chapter, no codec info or time remaining - that's a minor grip though. It was easy enough to hook up and after an afternoon of tinkering with it, I think it'll do the job nicely.

Once my Region B Death Sentence (FUCK YEAH) Blu-ray shows up, I'll test out the Region B playback capability and confirm.

Matt A
04-01-2009, 05:06 PM
You should try out a Region B Blu-ray disc on it. That'd be a good test. Throw one of those in it.

Ian Jane
04-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Good idea.

Wayne Schmidt
04-01-2009, 06:06 PM
I hope you can test a BR region B disc with standard def PAL extras. I'd love to know if it will handle that (although from what you've reported so far I don't see a reason it wouldn't).

mark t
04-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Have you tested a Region B disc with it yet?

Horace Cordier
04-01-2009, 07:13 PM

Jon Stewart got nothin' on you pal.

Matt A
04-01-2009, 07:13 PM

That'd be my first course of action.

mark t
04-01-2009, 07:15 PM
That'd be my first course of action.

I hear that the UK version of DEATH SENTENCE is sweet.

Matt A
04-01-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm going to call Ian and see if he has that one. If so I think he should remove it from it's case, place it in his new player, and see what happens.

Keep your fingers crossed.

mark t
04-01-2009, 07:21 PM
I'm going to call Ian and see if he has that one. If so I think he should remove it from it's case, place it in his new player, and see what happens.

Keep your fingers crossed.

If that doesn't work, tell him to try a Region B blu-ray. That might do the trick.

Matt A
04-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Wait...I thought this Alyss N. person was the one ordering this new player. What goes on here? :confused:

Zane C.
04-01-2009, 08:00 PM
OK, so the player arrived today, though we don't have any Region B BD discs to test it with (yet - that should be remedied tomorrow or Friday depending on the USPS). The machine is set to Japanese language out of the box but changing that to English was no problem and the instruction booklet is in English. The player isn't so much 'region free' as it is 'region changeable' meaning you have to enter a 5 digit remote code to switch from A to B but the change is instant and it does work (once I changed it to Region B it wouldn't play my Fox Region A I Robot disc indicating that the region was indeed B).

PAL and alternate region DVD playback is problem free. I tested the Region 2 Creepshow, Dellamorte Dellamore and Cannibal Ferox discs, no problems with any of them and the upscaling works well - Creepshow in particular looked excellent. DivX, xvid, avi and mp3 playback is all pretty flawless, no problems there at all.

I'm not in love with the remote yet. It's not bad, but I guess I'm so used to the PS3 remote that it just feels weird in my hand. Also, the on screen display is kinda lame - it only shows running time and chapter, no codec info or time remaining - that's a minor grip though. It was easy enough to hook up and after an afternoon of tinkering with it, I think it'll do the job nicely.

Once my Region B Death Sentence (FUCK YEAH) Blu-ray shows up, I'll test out the Region B playback capability and confirm.

Sweet! Thanks, Ian!

So, is this thing looking like it's worthy of a purchase? I'm gonna have to shell out extra $$ for the crappy exchange rate and shipping to Canada.

How about BD Live?

Oh yeah, try out a Region B disc!!!! :D

Jeffrey Allen Rydell
04-01-2009, 08:44 PM
Wait...I thought this Alyss N. person was the one ordering this new player. What goes on here? :confused:
Sometimes I get the impression they might be in some sort of behind the scenes cahoots. On the down-low, secret style. Strikes me as unethical. Sneaky, even.

However, at this time, I cannot prove any of this, but will continue to hold it against them and the board as a whole, while posting my suspicions as fact. Cuz that's what they get for keeping things from us. It's not right, and I will see them fall.

So, crusade, basically.

Don May Jr
04-01-2009, 09:17 PM
Sometimes I get the impression they might be in some sort of behind the scenes cahoots. On the down-low, secret style. Strikes me as unethical. Sneaky, even.

Alyss and Ian, sittin' in a tree...
Tryin' to watch a Blu-Ray from region B

Jeffrey Allen Rydell
04-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Alyss and Ian, sittin' in a tree...
Tryin' to watch a Blu-Ray from region B
I do not understand this rhyme and, as it was apparently posted in response to my previous missive, can only assume it's meant in mockery of my stated quest. Truly, I am assailed from all sides.

That's how that works.

Alyss N.
04-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Some people don't post in the Off Topic forum. That, I think, is the source of the mystery. :p

Jeffrey Allen Rydell
04-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Some people don't post in the Off Topic forum.
Yeah, why don't we have one of those?

Alyss N.
04-02-2009, 01:12 PM
I don't know. Why do we not?

Barry M.
04-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Yeah, why don't we have one of those?

Aux barricades!

J Fresta
04-03-2009, 12:25 AM

However, at this time, I cannot prove any of this, but will continue to hold it against them and the board as a whole, while posting my suspicions as fact. Cuz that's what they get for keeping things from us. It's not right, and I will see them fall.

So, crusade, basically.

personally... i think they're splittin' tacos! :eek:

Jeffrey Allen Rydell
04-03-2009, 01:27 AM
personally... i think they're splittin' tacos! :eek:
Nah, that's not it. Anyway, at least one of 'em's Canadian.

Aleck Bennett
04-03-2009, 01:46 AM
Nah, that's not it. Anyway, at least one of 'em's Canadian.

Yeah, they can't make margaritas up there, so I don't think they have tacos either.

Jeffrey Allen Rydell
04-03-2009, 02:25 AM
Yeah, they can't make margaritas up there, so I don't think they have tacos either.
Poutine tacos, maybe.

Scott Ruhl
04-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Aleck's back!

N Boros
04-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Ian Jane,

You mentioned that you played a region 2 version of Creepshow and everything was fine. But, didn't mention a external pal converter or that you display accepts pal so I assume that the Momitsu is converting the pal to ntsc. Can you confirm that the Momitsu converts pal to ntsc?

I have heard from another guy who just purchased this player and says that he has tryed several pal discs and none will play on his display that only works with an ntsc signal. Furthermore, the owners manual for the Momistu says specifically that it won't play pal discs. But, the Hkflix website lists the player as having pal to ntsc conversion. So, hopefully you can help clear this up for me. The Momitsu not having pal conversion may be a deal-breaker for me since external pal converters with hdmi inupts run around $300.

mark t
04-03-2009, 12:41 PM
Ian's away right now. :) But I can answer part of that question. Ian has no external pal converter, and his TV is pretty much the same as mine. It's HD, and it can be assumed that the Momitsu is converting to NTSC.

Of course, i could be wrong. :)

Alyss N.
04-03-2009, 01:16 PM
You could be, but you're not.

N Boros
04-03-2009, 01:33 PM
mark t,

I hope that you are correct because I want this player to be the answer to any of my blu ray and dvd needs from any region. Maybe the guy I was talking with on another forum has a bad player or something if Ian's player is converting the pal to ntsc with no problem. Here is a link to another early purchaser of the Momitsu that is having a problem with pal conversion (even after changing the setting in the setup menu to ntsc ouput).

http://forum.videohelp.com/topic366312.html

Aleck Bennett
04-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Aleck's back!

Did I go somewhere? I might've blacked out.

mark t
04-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Sounds like he's got a bad player....

Scott Ruhl
04-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Did I go somewhere? I might've blacked out.

Yeah for a second there, I closed my eyes and you were gone! What did you bring me from your trip?

Barry M.
04-03-2009, 03:24 PM
A Region B BD movie?

Aleck Bennett
04-03-2009, 03:49 PM
I had a bag of gummi Fu-Schnickens and a Region B BD of DORF ON GOLF for you, but customs wouldn't let 'em through.

Ian Jane
04-03-2009, 04:13 PM
mark t,

I hope that you are correct because I want this player to be the answer to any of my blu ray and dvd needs from any region. Maybe the guy I was talking with on another forum has a bad player or something if Ian's player is converting the pal to ntsc with no problem. Here is a link to another early purchaser of the Momitsu that is having a problem with pal conversion (even after changing the setting in the setup menu to ntsc ouput).

http://forum.videohelp.com/topic366312.html

The Momitsu is plugged directly into our LG HDTV via an HDMI. There's no external PAL convertor being used. It works like a charm.

Eric B
04-05-2009, 11:16 PM
There's a review of the player on DVD Beaver's home page.

EDIT: Um, yeah, looks like I'm buying one from HKFlix. It appears they modify the player to convert PAL to NTSC, which clears my confusion after reading elsewhere that the player doesn't convert.

Now I'll be able to watch that sweet Red Desert Region B Blu-ray. Of course, the day I buy the player every Region B Blu-ray I want will be announced for Region A.:D

Zane C.
04-06-2009, 12:21 AM
Ian, thanks for posting the info for this player...it's appreciated!

I'll be picking one of these up when I'm able to, as it seems to do everything that you could want. I'm not in love with the idea of manually having to change the region code for other region discs every time, but that's not a huge deal. I can live with that!

Has anyone dealt with HKFlix in terms of having stuff like DVD Players sent outside of the US? I would like to order through them (and I have ordered DVD's from them), but I've never ordered something this big from them. Any help would be appreciated!

Also, is anything else known about the updates, ie. firmware, etc., with this player? Hopefully Momitsu will be updating this player if it runs into problems playing Blu-Rays with newer content.

And lastly, does anyone know if this is available anywhere in Canada?

Michael Leslie
04-06-2009, 06:33 AM
It's great news that they are finally starting to get the region free machines out there. Region locking is still the worst thing about Blu-ray technology.

Looks like they've almost caught up to where HD-DVD was at before it got killed off.

Chris O
04-06-2009, 08:38 AM
Region coding is one of my biggest issues with Blu-Ray - that and ever changing profiles (although that seems to have settled a bit now). HD-DVD, in my mind, was a finished product and more consumer-friendly. Blu-Ray always seemed incomplete, what with all the profile nonsense and constant firmware updates to play the latest movies, seemed like a complete headache.

Ian Jane
04-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Just for the record, I finally did get a Region B Blu-ray disc. The PS3 doesn't like it it at all, but the Momitsu, when you change the region code, has no problems with it at all. Works like a charm.

mark t
04-20-2009, 10:45 PM
Glad to hear it. The PS3 wouldn't play it, then?

Ian Jane
04-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Nope. It came up with a screen and said it wouldn't play due to region coding.

Wayne Schmidt
04-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the update, Ian. I'm really interested in this machine down the pike. So overall are you still satisfied with it? Any bugs or disadvantages at this point?

Ehren H.
04-20-2009, 11:09 PM
I have been fighting off getting an HDTV just because...well, they're expensive. And I don't have cable, my own XBOX 360, PS3, or Blu-Ray capabilities, so I always avoided it because I couldn't go region free, and I'm not gonna drop that much on a new player and TV if it can't play all my shit.

Looks like I'll be buying an HDTV and this player, now haha.

Zane C.
04-21-2009, 02:20 AM
Thanks again for the update, Ian. This looks like a sure purchase now.

I love the idea of a region free Blu Ray player, and this will hopefully fit the bill for a while down the road. Looks like I'll be buying from HKFlix, unless someone here in Canada is selling them. None that I know of right now, though, sadly. Anyone?

BTW: Is there any indication about whether this thing will handle updates, or BD Live? Also, it will play DVD-R's, correct?

Patrick B.
04-21-2009, 09:27 AM
Also, it will play DVD-R's, correct?

Yes - DVD-R is stated as a compatible media.

NOTE: Playability of self-recorded discs may vary depending on formatting and media type

Ian Jane
04-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the update, Ian. I'm really interested in this machine down the pike. So overall are you still satisfied with it? Any bugs or disadvantages at this point?

The only thing I don't like about it is that the remote, while perfectly functional and so far sturdy enough, feels a little light in my hand. It works fine, I guess I'm just used to a heavier remote. Which is kind of a dumb complaint.

I also don't like that the display doesn't show time remaining on a movie, only time as it progresses. Again, a minor complaint. Load times are a bit slower than the PS3, but it's played everything I've thrown at it so far without any issues at all. I'm happy with it.

Ian Jane
04-21-2009, 08:50 PM
Yes - DVD-R is stated as a compatible media.

NOTE: Playability of self-recorded discs may vary depending on formatting and media type

For the record, I've had no problems at all on this front. I've tried a few different media types and formats and they've all been fine.

Ehren H.
05-12-2009, 05:38 PM
I might be buying one of these in the next few monthes...I've started setting money aside. Next gen electronics finally got me!

Matt A
05-12-2009, 05:53 PM
The only thing I don't like about it is that the _____, while perfectly functional and so far sturdy enough, feels a little light in my hand. It works fine, I guess I'm just used to a heavier ______

:rolleyes:....

Kenneth M
05-12-2009, 06:07 PM
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd198/ADRIEL_69/FUNNY/penis.gif

Jeremy Slate
06-29-2009, 09:10 PM
Just bought one.

Jeremy Slate
07-03-2009, 03:26 AM
Well, this is frustrating. I picked it up from the post office today, plugged it in, got the signal and everything, but I can't get a single disc (of my 2) to load. I've tried resettng it by turning it off at the unit, and unplugging it, but nothing. One disc seems to be loading and then ejects and says read error, the other just says no disc. Dammit.