PDA

View Full Version : Sony PS3 player questions

Wayne Schmidt
02-27-2009, 03:13 AM
The thread on the new Oppo blu-ray made me start mentally comparing whether it or the cheaper PS3 would be a better buy. I don't really care about it's game capability, only as a player. I was wondering will it play avi files? And I'm assuming it won't play PAL and is region locked but are there any hacks for it? And do the newest ones play SACDs?

Patrick B.
02-27-2009, 04:38 AM
The thread on the new Oppo blu-ray made me start mentally comparing whether it or the cheaper PS3 would be a better buy. I don't really care about it's game capability, only as a player. I was wondering will it play avi files? And I'm assuming it won't play PAL and is region locked but are there any hacks for it? And do the newest ones play SACDs?

Yes, PS3 can play AVI files.

Steve P.
02-27-2009, 07:08 AM
The newest PS3s do not play SACDS. I don't believe there is a code to hack the player either.

My biggest disappointment with the new OPPO Blu-Ray is that I was hoping it would be a truly universal player. It's not quite as you can't play BD from other regions. However, you can play both PAL and NTSC standard def discs on it. At the moment, it won't play DVD Audio either, but I believe it is being worked on. I was shot down in flames for even suggesting disappointment at this player in another forum at its $500 price tag, but I guess I live in a different world.

Another thing to consider is that there are rumors that Sony will be knocking another $100 off the PS3 in April, making it an even more attractive buy for BD first timers. I'm not sure how true the rumor is, but it was put out there a few weeks ago. And if the PS3 ends up retailing for $299, it will be an absolute steal.

Don May Jr
02-27-2009, 07:18 AM
I'm really digging my PS3 as a DVD/BLU-RAY/AVC file player. I rarely turn my other DVD player on anymore and, while I have a handfull of PS3 games, I hardly ever play games with it. The PS3, for the money, is the best player out there for BLU.

Also, with the ability to attach an external hard drive, or even copy files to the PS3 hard drive itself, the PS3 has the ability to play AVC/MP4 or Divx/Xvid files, which is really convenient.

Wayne Schmidt
02-27-2009, 01:31 PM
The newest PS3s do not play SACDS. I don't believe there is a code to hack the player either.

My biggest disappointment with the new OPPO Blu-Ray is that I was hoping it would be a truly universal player. It's not quite as you can't play BD from other regions. However, you can play both PAL and NTSC standard def discs on it. At the moment, it won't play DVD Audio either, but I believe it is being worked on. I was shot down in flames for even suggesting disappointment at this player in another forum at its $500 price tag, but I guess I live in a different world.

Another thing to consider is that there are rumors that Sony will be knocking another $100 off the PS3 in April, making it an even more attractive buy for BD first timers. I'm not sure how true the rumor is, but it was put out there a few weeks ago. And if the PS3 ends up retailing for $299, it will be an absolute steal.
Normally I would have seriously considered the Oppo (and still haven't ruled it out) but that lack of ability to play BR from other regions at that price is a big disappointment. I assume it will play discs that are not region locked, but will it play the extras that are standard def? Many of the discs I'd like to get have PAL formatted supplements, but if it won't play them it defeats one of the big advantages of the machine.

Steve P.
02-27-2009, 06:40 PM
Normally I would have seriously considered the Oppo (and still haven't ruled it out) but that lack of ability to play BR from other regions at that price is a big disappointment. I assume it will play discs that are not region locked, but will it play the extras that are standard def? Many of the discs I'd like to get have PAL formatted supplements, but if it won't play them it defeats one of the big advantages of the machine.

Wayne, you might want to take a peak at the thread below. There's some pretty interesting information here:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=175667

Wayne Schmidt
02-27-2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks Steve. It was an intriguing read!

Gary Miller
03-02-2009, 09:12 PM
I kick myself hard for trading my PS3 for a new Sony 350 last summer. With it's odd shape, I couldn't find a place for the PS3 in my tight equipment rack. I didn't realize at the time though, what a great player the PS3 is. I could grow a beard in the time it takes the 350 to load some discs (particularly the Bond's). Unlike the 350, the PS3 played everything without hiccups, and loaded 'em quickly.

In short, Wayne, if you can accomodate the PS3, you won't go wrong.

Wayne Schmidt
03-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Thanks, Gary. It's what I'm seriously considering when the time comes, not just for the BR capabilities but for the media center hub qualities it's capable of. I haven't even seriously explored those, but they sound sweet.

When it comes to PAL standard def discs, I guess I'm stuck with a second machine. <Sigh> One of these days I'd like to have only ONE player in my equipment rack instead of two or (if you include a recorder) three.

mark t
03-03-2009, 07:10 AM
The lack of the ability to play PAL discs is a drawback, and i have noticed that depending on the codec, a good amount of avi files come up as "Unsupported Data". Still, after seeing the load time on some of the other players, and doing cost comparisons, the PS3 seems to be a great deal. I don't play games on it that much, but having some games in 1080p with 5.1 surround makes the gaming experience that much better.

Don May Jr
03-03-2009, 11:52 AM
I don't play games on it that much, but having some games in 1080p with 5.1 surround makes the gaming experience that much better.

Yep, but the one big drawback of the games on both the PS3 and XBOX360 is that, most of the time, the games are rendered in only 720p, but the systems "allow" the games to be upscaled to 1080p (the XBOX moreso than the PS3, has more "capable" 1080p games than the PS3 product does). For example, it's being reported that the upcoming RESIDENT EVIL 5 game will be 720p on PS3, but 1080p on the XBOX360.

mark t
03-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Yep, but the one big drawback of the games on both the PS3 and XBOX360 is that, most of the time, the games are rendered in only 720p, but the systems "allow" the games to be upscaled to 1080p (the XBOX moreso than the PS3, has more "capable" 1080p games than the PS3 product does). For example, it's being reported that the upcoming RESIDENT EVIL 5 game will be 720p on PS3, but 1080p on the XBOX360.

You learn something new everyday. :) I guess that i was off on that....my daughter's game, Chronicles of Narnia, displays at 1080p, but my Resistance game comes up at 720. So, the PS3 may be upscaling the Narnia game? Weird.

Oh well, the games still kick ass. :)

Wayne Schmidt
03-03-2009, 12:53 PM
The lack of the ability to play PAL discs is a drawback, and i have noticed that depending on the codec, a good amount of avi files come up as "Unsupported Data".I get that occasionally with both my Philips and Oppo decks. I've also noticed that larger (and therefore better looking) avi files can "stick" or freeze frame quite a bit. That's too bad, and I end up having to bump them up to dvd just for stable playback. Both of my players are a few years old, and I was hoping the new ones were a little more advanced in that area.

Darcy Parker
03-03-2009, 09:02 PM

You actually have that backward, Don. The PS3 has more native 1080 titles, the 360 relies on a hardware scaling chip to get 1080, and in a lot of cases even 720, video. Some notable games for 360, like Halo 3 and Gears of War 2 run in 576p and let the scaler pump them to the desired HD rez. There aren't a lot of native 1080p games, but some notables are Ridge Racer 7 for PS3, Virtua Fighter 5 for both, Virtua Tennis 3 and Sega Superstars Tennis for both and Wipeoupt HD for PS3. Wipeout actually has a dynamically scaling horizontal resolution to keep the vertical locked to 1080p at a constant 60fps.

Most of the PS3's exclusives coming this year are 1080p, as developers are getting used to the hardware now.