PDA

View Full Version : Slaughterhouse magazine?

Henri K
02-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Hello

I have some old slaughterhouse magazines and when one day I tried to search some info about them (how many issues etc.) I couldn't find anything. Just some old ebay auctions.. does anyone know what's the deal with that magazine?

Here's some info about that magazine:

Slaughterhouse Magazine is published by HCS ASSOC.

Editor in chief Jim Whiting

Any info about that magazine would be great!

Thanks!

Mike Howlett
02-17-2009, 05:43 PM
According to Michael Pierce's MONSTERS AMONG US guide (from 1995), 5 issues came out in 1988 and 89.

Tom K
02-17-2009, 05:58 PM
I had one issue...the one with Jason on the cover...

From what I remember, it was a cool mag...

KennethR
02-24-2009, 02:58 PM
I have multiple copies of all the issues. For some reason every single mixed lot of "horror mags" I bought in the late 90s trying to get Cinefantastiques, Fangorias and Gorezones would have a ton of copies of Slaughterhouse in them.

Andy Copp
03-28-2009, 06:32 AM
I loved this magazine back in the day. I bought every issue off the newsstand (for some reason I could have sworn there were six issues, I'll have to dig around and see). Sometimes the writing was HORRENDOUS and without any merit, the layout was stinky, but they were always fun and had a lot of attitude. It was like a DIY zine that managed to get into major newsstands. Plus because they were tiny and independent they ran stories on small movies and underground stuff, so they actually covered things like DEADBEAT AT DAWN, NEKROMANTIK, BEWARE CHILDREN AT PLAY (when it was still called GOBLINS), THE SUCKLING and FLESH EATING MOTHERS. They did a great color story on SLIME CITY that made me want to see that movie for fifteen years until I finally saw it when POP CINEMA put out the special edition DVD. They also did a great article on the comics of HIDISHI HINO and his PANORAMA OF HELL comic as well as UROTSUKODOJI which was the first place I read about either one and immediately tracked them both down.

what I always heard was the Starlog press pushed them off the newsstand by putting out their own TOXIC HORROR magazine to take up shelf space and use their corporate clout to push both SLAUGHTERHOUSE and HORROR FAN magazines off shelves. I used to buy both of them, believe it or not, at the local Kroger grocery store. From what I have heard TOXIC HORROR was a concerted and calculated effort to run those other indie mags out and then once that was done the mag was canceled. Which was a shame because it wasn't too bad either as they covered some interesting exploitation, true crime and was the first place I remember reading about the book APOCALYPSE CULTURE.

Steven Millan
03-30-2009, 05:50 PM
I loved this magazine back in the day. I bought every issue off the newsstand (for some reason I could have sworn there were six issues, I'll have to dig around and see). Sometimes the writing was HORRENDOUS and without any merit, the layout was stinky, but they were always fun and had a lot of attitude. It was like a DIY zine that managed to get into major newsstands. Plus because they were tiny and independent they ran stories on small movies and underground stuff, so they actually covered things like DEADBEAT AT DAWN, NEKROMANTIK, BEWARE CHILDREN AT PLAY (when it was still called GOBLINS), THE SUCKLING and FLESH EATING MOTHERS. They did a great color story on SLIME CITY that made me want to see that movie for fifteen years until I finally saw it when POP CINEMA put out the special edition DVD. They also did a great article on the comics of HIDISHI HINO and his PANORAMA OF HELL comic as well as UROTSUKODOJI which was the first place I read about either one and immediately tracked them both down.

what I always heard was the Starlog press pushed them off the newsstand by putting out their own TOXIC HORROR magazine to take up shelf space and use their corporate clout to push both SLAUGHTERHOUSE and HORROR FAN magazines off shelves. I used to buy both of them, believe it or not, at the local Kroger grocery store. From what I have heard TOXIC HORROR was a concerted and calculated effort to run those other indie mags out and then once that was done the mag was canceled. Which was a shame because it wasn't too bad either as they covered some interesting exploitation, true crime and was the first place I remember reading about the book APOCALYPSE CULTURE.

SLAUGHTERHOUSE and HORRORFAN were both very excellent magazines from the late 80s that covered a lot of films that neither Fango,Gorezone,or old school Famous Monsters ever bothered to touch,and that DEEP RED couldn't yet catch up to,for according to my personal research SLAUGHTERHOUSE was backed by the ECCO magazine folks(which explains that zine's underground/indie horror coverage/roots)and HORRORFAN was partially backed by Bill George(which explains the coverage of older genre titles,and a few years before he moved onto FEMME FATALES),for too bad they both still aren't around anymore since they were a nice alternative to the other corporate-backed zines of the time.

And,SLAUGHTERHOUSE only put out around five to six issues(although there were plans for another issue which would have featured articles from Brinke Stevens and Linnea Quigley,which never came to be).

Brian B.
04-09-2009, 04:07 AM
I got all but one of the SLAUGHTERHOUSE mags. I'd have to look and check. I did buy all the HORROR FAN and TOXIC HORROR mags, too. I remember being a bit shocked with that nude pic of Linnea Quigley in the first issue of HORROR FAN (at least I think it was the first one; I'd have to dig that one out, too!)