PDA

View Full Version : Gangs of New York (Scorcese)

mark t
01-26-2009, 03:18 PM
I picked this blu-ray title up last week because it was on sale, but i've already been warned by one fellow maniac that the transfer is very lacking. I haven't opened it yet, and i'm wondering if anyone else has seen the film, and would like to comment on the transfer? I think that if it's that inferior, i may exchange it for another title.

I love the film, but don't want a crappy copy of it.

Troy Howarth
01-26-2009, 03:41 PM
Glad to see you like the film, Mark - I adore it, too. :) (The inevitable barrage of posts calling it crap are bound to get rolling soon, so thought I'd add to the love while still possible. :D )

mark t
01-26-2009, 03:53 PM
I'll admit, i didn't like it the first time that i saw it...ditto with THE DEPARTED, but moreso for GANGS. Diaz still grates on my nerves, but it is, IMO, worth it just for Daniel Day Lewis. :)

Troy Howarth
01-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Diaz is adequate, nothing more. DiCaprio's performance isn't so inadequate as I used to think it was - I think it was Vincent P who pointed out that the last minute addition of the voice over really does his character a disservice. Daniel Day Lewis is mesmerizing - some call him hammy here and in There Will Be Blood, but they remain my favorite performances by any actor in any film in any time frame. Period. :)

mark t
01-26-2009, 05:04 PM
We will definitely agree on that, sir. :) I thought that he was amazing in IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER, but hammy would be the last thing from my mind...cept for the pig butchering scene, of course. ;)

Kristian R
01-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Daniel Day Lewis is mesmerizing - some call him hammy here and in There Will Be Blood...

That would include me.

mark t
01-26-2009, 05:13 PM
So you don't have GANGS on BD, Kristian?

Kristian R
01-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Nope. I often like bombastic entertainment, but this one rubbed me the wrong way.

Troy Howarth
01-27-2009, 08:26 AM
That would include me.

Good for you!

Kristian R
01-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Good for you!

Thanks!

mark t
01-27-2009, 10:25 AM
Oi! Talk about the goddam Blu-ray already! This is not a Daniel Day-Lewis thread! :)

Troy Howarth
01-27-2009, 05:12 PM
Why isn't it?!

Kristian R
01-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Mark wants it to be a Leo thread.

Troy Howarth
01-27-2009, 05:16 PM
I keep telling Mark, if he really needs a Leo fix, I'm sure nude photos are obtainable on the web.

Vincent Pereira
01-27-2009, 08:16 PM
Although I love the film, I haven't bought the Blu-ray because it's widely regarded as one of the worst (if not THE worst) Blu-rays on the market. The screen shots bear this out- GANGS on Blu-ray exhibits probably the worst DNR and edge-enhancement of any High-Def release to date. The only titles that look worse are the few upconverts.

incent

Steve R
01-27-2009, 08:23 PM
I'm a big fan of the film too and think DDL was killer in it.

For anyone who has seen the Blu-ray, how is the sound. In particular when the gang is coming up from the depths, collecting people with the drums drumming and various percussions and all kinds of people talking and yelling, gong throughtight passageways, opening into large cavern like openings and Liam talking calmly to his son - how does all that sound?

People always tallk about the visual, and rightly so, but sound is a huge part of the mix to me. (good pun, that)

Whadya say.

Troy Howarth
01-27-2009, 08:26 PM
I can't talk of the BR audio, but the use of sound in that sequence and others is extraordinary - I love, love, love that music.

I wonder why the film has been so poorly treated on BR? Even the DVD release wasn't of such terrific quality.

Ian Jane
01-27-2009, 08:38 PM
I'm with Vincent on this - the edge enhancement is really noticeable on the transfer (it really stood out for me and I'm not nearly as susceptible to it as some people are). I remember the audio being pretty strong on the BR disc though.

mark t
01-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Alright, i'm exchanging it then. Dammit. I like the film, but I don't want to end up with a bunch of "early" BDs that look like ass.

Kenneth English
01-30-2009, 06:54 PM
Probably not what anyone wants to hear, but as someone who owned the original on DVD I have to say that the Blu-ray IS an improvement. Bearing in mind that the same master was used on both (meaning edge-enhancement halos and all), the BR still looks better to these eyes. Not a WHOLE LOT better, but better all the same.

My two cents.

Vincent Pereira
01-30-2009, 10:30 PM
"Better than DVD" isn't what Blu-ray is supposed to be, though. It's supposed to be "Beyond High Definition". Recycling a transfer as flawed and ugly as GANGS OF NEW YORK's doesn't cut it and needs to be discouraged, lest the studios think they can get away with this shit.

Vincent

mark t
01-31-2009, 11:43 PM
Anyone care to comment on PAYBACK: STRAIGHT UP DIRECTOR'S CUT and SLEEPY HOLLOW? They're two similarly priced discs i was thinking of exchanging for. Transfers, i'm speaking of, i'm familiar with the films and like them both.

Vincent Pereira
02-01-2009, 01:37 AM
Anyone care to comment on PAYBACK: STRAIGHT UP DIRECTOR'S CUT and SLEEPY HOLLOW? They're two similarly priced discs i was thinking of exchanging for. Transfers, i'm speaking of, i'm familiar with the films and like them both.

I have SLEEPY HOLLOW on HD-DVD and it looks very natural and film-like. I'd imagine the Blu-ray looks almost identical.

Vincent

mark t
02-01-2009, 01:52 AM
Thanks, Vincent. :) Much appreciated.

Derrick King
12-31-2009, 09:45 PM
WOOHOO! The Gangs of New York Blu-Ray that is coming out on 2/2/10 is going to be a remastered version (http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=2713668&postcount=15)and not a simple repackaging of the awful first Blu-Ray.

Fred Anderson
01-01-2010, 03:55 AM
Every movie with Giovanni Lombardo Radice is a good movie, so of course I will buy this blu-ray!