PDA

View Full Version : Necronomicon Author Interviewed (Occult NSFW)

Albert P
01-13-2009, 09:01 PM
Okay, it's probably safe for work, but it sounds spookier that way. Anyway, all you conspiracy freaks, ufo nuts, parapsychology fags, RPG retards and meth addicts who think the president is a reptile... this post's for you!:p;)

An interesting interview with Peter Levenda (the author?) by Tracy Twyman regarding the origins of the Simon "Necronomicon." Yup, that little book filed in the "New Age" section at your local bookstore that always seems to have been vigorously thumbed through by someone wearing sticky black nail polish and patchouli.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54FdHyb1IPY">Part 1</a> - You can follow through the rest from there.

Tim Mayer
01-13-2009, 09:46 PM
I read UNHOLY ALLIANCE years ago and thought Lavenda had about three good books wrapped up in it. It just seemed he was too impressed with himself and there are plenty of better of sources available on the subjects he was trying to tie together.

Albert P
01-13-2009, 10:12 PM
I read UNHOLY ALLIANCE years ago and thought Lavenda had about three good books wrapped up in it. It just seemed he was too impressed with himself and there are plenty of better of sources available on the subjects he was trying to tie together.
There are definitely better written & researched books on those subjects - those by Nicholas Goodrick-Clarke probably being the best. Then there are some of the actual source writings that have recently seen publication - like the Otto Rahn books and The Secret King. However, if one knows nothing about that stuff, I think they could do ALOT worse than starting out with the Levenda book.

Anyway, please give the interview a listen. It's not without interest.

Zane C.
01-14-2009, 12:54 AM
You should read THE NECRONOMICON FILES, which debunks the Simon NECRONOMICON, amongst others, and is an impressively scholarly, but at the same time entertaining examination of Lovecraft's creation. Good read.

Chuk H
01-14-2009, 01:29 AM
You should read THE NECRONOMICON FILES, which debunks the Simon NECRONOMICON, amongst others, and is an impressively scholarly, but at the same time entertaining examination of Lovecraft's creation. Good read.

ditto that. GREAT read with a lot of insight into the 70's occult scene in NYC that spawned that crazy little paper back. Lots of other Lovecraft goodness too!

Tim Mayer
01-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Another book I need to read.

Robert Wilkins
01-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Lovecraft would be laughing his ass of today if he were alive to see that!

Albert P
01-15-2009, 07:03 AM
Yup, probably the best book on this subject. For some additional perspective, there's also these links.

The Doom That Came to <a href="http://www.nypress.com/article-7663-the-doom-that-came-to-chelsea.html">Chelsea</a>

Church of Satan <a href="http://www.churchofsatan.com/Pages/FAQnecronomicon.html">Necronomicon FAQ</a>

Tim Mayer
01-15-2009, 01:13 PM
I've just read the DOOM THAT CAME TO CHELSEA article. I must say, it's the best thing ever written on "neopaganism" and the OTO. Mirrors my brief experiences with these groups too.
So Pete Lavenda was Simon. Haw, haw, haw, as Jack Chick would say.
I did visit The Magickal Childe bookstore menitoned in the article in 1990. What I remember from that day, other than my marveling over all the gee-gaws, was hearing Herman Slater (talking in a thick Nuu Yaak accent) on the phone. The conversation went something like this:

"Yes, our fortune teller is scheduled for this afternoon."
[pause]
"I assume she's reputable."
[pause]
"Look, if you don't want to come and see her, you don't have to!"