PDA

View Full Version : Pedicab Driver:WB Property

Al Edwards
09-17-2002, 07:35 PM
I read over at the Sammohung.com that Pedicab Driver is own by Warner Brothers, and there might be a possibility of it comgin out on DVD at least for next year. I hope it wouldn't get the same hatchet job as Hong Kong films released by Disney.

Al Edwards
10-07-2002, 05:39 PM
Pedicab Driver is a Sammo Hung classic that is better than some of Jackie Chan's output from the last five to six years.

Ian Jane
10-07-2002, 06:15 PM
Most of Jackie Chan's output for the last five years has been lame, so that's not saying much.

I haven't seen Petticab Driver though, what's it about?

Al Edwards
10-07-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Ian Jane
Most of Jackie Chan's output for the last five years has been lame, so that's not saying much.

I haven't seen Petticab Driver though, what's it about?

Its a 1940s period piece that takes place in Macau and Sammo plays a pedicab driver who has a crush on a worker at the bakery shop(played by Nina Li Chi), and at the same time goes head to head with some gangsters. Early in the film is a fight scene involving Sammo Hung and Lau Kar Leung, which is considered to be a classic scene.

Here's a link to a review of the film that might give a better summary than the one above(http://www.stomptokyo.com/movies/pedicab-driver.html) and another link to internet movie database page(http://www.imdb.com/Title?0098155). Its an excellent Sammo Hung directed film made around the same time as Eastern Condors and ranks as one of his at least top ten to fifteen films.

Ian Jane
10-07-2002, 07:08 PM
I loved Eastern Condors, thanks for the links. I'll try and get around to checking that out sooner rather than later.

Al Edwards
01-31-2005, 06:32 PM
A film that is still in need of a R1 DVD release.

J Dewey Wallis
02-01-2005, 06:05 PM
This needs a release-period. It is one of Sammo's best films that has become notoriously hard to find. Good to finally know someone has the rights to it, since that has been in doubt over the past few years, thus the film falling into that grey area, keeping it from being seen.

Jeff Nelson
02-02-2005, 02:41 AM
PEDICAB DRIVER is not only a zillion times better than ALL of Jackie Chan's films since 1994, but better than many other Hong Kong films as well. One of the finest Hong Kong action films of the '80s, period, and that's saying a ton. Nigh flawless; my only minor quibble with it is that the survivors are a little too jovial at the end, considering the serious carnage and severe personal loss that occurs a short while before. I really hope that, if WB can be bothered to put this out, that they do it right, meaning an uncut print in OAR, original Cantonese mono soundtrack (in sync) in addition to whatever other shitball 5.1 remix/dub they slap on, and subtitles as opposed to dubtitles. If they do that, they've got my money. If they fail to deliver, I'll continue to make do with my lovely DVD-R of the old import laserdisc. (Beware the boot DVD making the eBay rounds...it is an actual burned DVD, mastered from the LD, and looks fine, but the soundtrack is a hair out-of-sync.)

Mark Savage
02-02-2005, 11:32 PM
My two cents.

Extraordinary Sammo flick. I saw it theatrically four times and have it on LD.

It is sweet, sentimental and brutal. There are almost half a dozen stand-out fight scenes. The opening apes the STAR WARS light sabre duels and Sammo, though considerably weighty, performs some amazing tumbles and backflips.

An attack on a family is incredibly well executed, as is a fast-paced street fight.

Pedicab chase sequence is both funny and amazing.

Pole fight in a gambling den is also way above usual HK standard (even for the period).

Final fight sequence is pretty jaw-dropping.

I have always noticed one visible cut (splice) just after Sammo enters the house for the final showdown. The cut was there in the theatrical print and is on the LD, too.

In my opinion, PEDICAB DRIVER is Sammo's finest; EASTERN CONDORS runs a very close second.

Jeff Nelson
02-03-2005, 12:23 AM
My two cents.

Extraordinary Sammo flick. I saw it theatrically four times and have it on LD.

It is sweet, sentimental and brutal. There are almost half a dozen stand-out fight scenes. The opening apes the STAR WARS light sabre duels and Sammo, though considerably weighty, performs some amazing tumbles and backflips.

An attack on a family is incredibly well executed, as is a fast-paced street fight.

Pedicab chase sequence is both funny and amazing.

Pole fight in a gambling den is also way above usual HK standard (even for the period).

Final fight sequence is pretty jaw-dropping.

I have always noticed one visible cut (splice) just after Sammo enters the house for the final showdown. The cut was there in the theatrical print and is on the LD, too.

In my opinion, PEDICAB DRIVER is Sammo's finest; EASTERN CONDORS runs a very close second.

Re: EASTERN CONDORS: I'm dying to see the scenes that were cut before release reinstated. You can see some of them in the trailer. Apparently a substantial amount of character development bit the dust, which was my quibble with the film -- you really don't get to know the characters very well. Other than that, an absolutely kick-ass flick.

Bruce Holecheck
02-05-2005, 01:23 PM
I agree with most folks in this thread; the film is a real classic of HK action cinema and is in dire need of a real release. (I'd like to see some other Sammo flicks on disc, too, like PANTYHOSE HEROES and DON'T GIVE A DAMN. While they may not be the best movies, the fight sequences are always worth a watch.)