PDA

View Full Version : The definitive book on Peckinpah?

John G.
09-06-2008, 02:30 PM
I'm kind of on a Peckinpah kick lately and I was wondering what books about the man are worth reading. There are a couple of choices currently in print. Anyone read any of these, or can comment on any others that I've missed?

Bloody Sam: The Life and Films of Sam Peckinpah by Marshall Fine
The Films of Sam Peckinpah by Neil Fulwood
If They Move... Kill 'Em! : The Life and Times of Sam Peckinah by David Weddle
Peckinpah: A Portrait in Montage by Garner Simmons
Peckinpah: The Western Films: A Reconsideration by Paul Seydor

Steve R
09-06-2008, 05:30 PM
John, You've read my thoutghts on these before.

If They Move is a very good read and focuses more on the man. I just read it this Summer and would give it a very high grade.

Portrait in Montage gives you more on the productions.But not enough and many for my taste. That's still a void. Killer Elite, Getaway., Junior Boner - real volatile actors on those and a surprising lack of stories have come out. James Caan and Sam - there had to be some conflicts there. Duvall, he's a funny guy, and McQueen was never one to keep his opinions to himself ... never found any Sam book that gave that up.

I'd be curious to hear about Bloody Sam. Never read it.

Chad Haden
09-07-2008, 01:58 AM
Bloody Sam is my pick out of the bunch, I've got it, the Weddle book, the Simmons book and one other whose title I forget but Bloody Sam is the best bang for your buck

Steve R
09-07-2008, 04:45 PM
I'll hafta check out Bloody Sam. But gotta give it a little space, after the Weddle book.

Paul A J Lewis
09-09-2008, 07:35 AM
For critical commentary on the films, I'd plump for Seydor's book (or the Cambridge Film Handbooks book about THE WILD BUNCH).

For biographical information, I'd go for either BLOODY SAM or 'IF THEY MOVE... KILL 'EM!'

I like PORTRAIT IN MONTAGE, but I have to confess that the critical commentary on the films is a little undisciplined and overly-descriptive, for my tastes at least.

Steve R
09-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Hey Paul, welcome back. Just like you to make you're arrival back over here with us at the bar toasting Sam again.

Hope you've got a good semester coming up, a killer syllabus, students who talk back, a stock o' good DVDs waiting at home and off in the horizon, still cloudy behind the fog..a stunning beauty to take your breath away and get your heart beating again.

Best,
Steve

Alfred Chamberlain
05-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Anyone have anything to add to this 18-months-dead thread? I want to read a Peck book next, and am having a tough time picking one. Some of these writers are on the great DVD commentaries, but I can't choose! I'm leery of Marshall Fine, as his Cassavetes book paled in comparison to those that came before it.

Does Bloody Sam still reign?

Paul A J Lewis
05-02-2010, 05:08 PM
For biographical detail, I'd go for Weddle's book; for critical comment on the films, I don't think you can beat Seydor's tome. (Having said that, SAM PECKINPAH'S WEST: NEW PERSPECTIVES is an under-discussed book and contains discussion of some of the Peckinpah films that tend to fall by the wayside.)