PDA

View Full Version : Art of Darkness: The Cinema of Dario Argento

John W
07-26-2008, 04:35 PM
Though its not dvd related it surely belongs to the euro cult section since we´re in for some dario

i keep on thinkin about buiying the book
Art of Darkness: The Cinema of Dario Argento
from author chris john gallant

has anyone got that book
how is it/is it recommendable
?????

i already have profondo argento, which i really dug

Craig Hatch
07-26-2008, 04:47 PM
I personally found it a little pretentious in it's first few chapters but once the reviews come in (which are written by different writers) the book picks up a notch. Pick it up if you're interested in analysis and reviews but ultimately in my opinion you won't learn anything you didn't already know from Profondo Argento.

M Sanderson
07-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Much better book than Alan Jones' and Maitland McDonagh's. It incorporates many more perspectives & will open your mind up more. Chris Gallant's early chapters are very strong, and a lot of the reviews on individial films (particularly STENDHAL, DEEP RED, etc) are good.

Troy Howarth
07-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Sadly, it doesn't seem to be available any longer... I'd love to read it, myself.

Chad Haden
07-26-2008, 05:43 PM
I think I've got a copy somewhere, it's a decent little read

dave hartley
07-26-2008, 06:22 PM
Sadly, it doesn't seem to be available any longer... I'd love to read it, myself.
The last copies are available discounted from publishers Fab Press (http://www.fabpress.com/vsearch.php?CO=FAB029).

Paul H
07-26-2008, 07:05 PM
Looks like Luminous has copies of it.

http://www.lfvw.com/artofdarkness.html

martin nunez
07-26-2008, 09:29 PM
Its a good one, a bit over analytinc sometimes. Oh, and suits very good with the other Director Series book on the shelf.

tom foster
07-27-2008, 04:33 AM
I don't like it very much at all - personally, I prefer Jones and McDonagh's books. I remember pre-ordering the hardback about 18 months before it was eventually released. As a goodwill gesture, the publisher sent me a free copy of the paperback, as it was published first.

The analysis chapters are way too pretentious and the review chapters are lacking in insight. The chapter on INFERNO, my favourite Argento film, is especially poor IMO. To be fair, it's a very handsome tome, with lots of pictures and an expensive feel to it. I'm glad I have it, but I wouldn't recommend it over the aforementioned Jones/McDonagh books.

Troy Howarth
07-27-2008, 12:13 PM
Placed an order for it through Luminous... I like analytical tomes, personally, so it should be up my alley.