PDA

View Full Version : Mad Max..

Jennifer S.
02-09-2003, 10:25 PM
So which soundtrack do you think is best?

The original Australian language track or the English dubbed track?

I've heard about the dubbing issue for years & everyone saying the Australian track is far superior.

So i've finally had a chance to check it out when i bought the MGM dvd.

Well i was disapointed.Since i've seen the film countless times over the years since i was 12 or so.I'm just so used to the English version.

I didn't like how Goose or the Chief sounded,they seemed lazy..while in English it seemed more enthusiastic. The other charecter's didn't sound that bad,but then Johny the Boy & the main leader of the gang just seemed to speak so quietly that they did not seem menacing.

Though the worst part about the track both 5.1 & mono in Australian was the extreme lack of punch in the sound FX.Everything from the roar of a engine,screeching tires,the music & everything seemed so subdued no matter how low i turned up the volume.

Yet when switching it on the mono English track,it was louder & packed quit a punch just how i like it & remember.

So naturally i prefer the English track though some may disagree with it. In fact the dubbing is actual good & matches with there mouths unlike other dubbings.

+ I find it ironic that the Australian track seemed so subdued.Usualy it's the dubbed track that does for some reason.

Great example are the Fox Lorber John Woo dvds of Hard Boiled & The Killer.While i've only seen these dubbed before on video years ago.I remember them sounding alright & packing a punch.Yet on the dvds,the dubbed tracks have ALL the sound FX & music pushed down to inaudible levels in the backgroud.It's like a silent film with dialogue & the gun fire sounds like it's coming out of a tin can.Yet the original Cantonese tracks are loud as hell & full of power & atmosphere.So of course i watched the films subtitled with no problems.

Anyway after not seeing the film in a few years.It still kicks major ass & is a action masterpiece that seems to be overshadowed by it's awsome sequel.

Bill M
02-10-2003, 10:29 AM
I only saw the dubbed version up until I got the DVD ..I think the Australian soundtrack is the way to go..dubbing just cheapens films

Ian Jane
02-10-2003, 01:16 PM
The Aussie track is definitely the way to go.

Christoffer S
02-10-2003, 02:05 PM
As Ive only seen it in its Aussie form, and gotten used to it, you could imagine my surprise when I popped in my DVD, and everyones voices(I know the dialogue by heart) were changed. So I looked at the back of the cover and understood why. Thankfully both tracks were included :)

peterbliss
02-10-2003, 06:10 PM
IMO It is sacriledge to prefer the American dubbed version of "Mad Max".

The Australian version is the original and the best.
The dubbing version misses out on all the nuances of the performances.
For example the main villians dialogue is sometimes quieter because he is expressing controlled anger at what is happening.This to me is more disturbing and effective.

Dubbing to me sometimes is cinematic vandalism.Its like colourising old movies.

Its not like people in Australia don't speak English?
(nb I am from Australia)

AIP effectively dumped Mad Max on the drive in market and dubbed it with an American track because they thought the audience could not understand the Australian dialect (treating the audience members with contempt).Naturally the film flopped but went onto huge overseas success (bar the US).

It is also interesting to note that The Road Warrior and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome included an original dialogue track and went on to be modestly successful in the US.

Its good that the MGM DVD includes both for comparision flavours but please endorse the origianl because George Miller vision did not have American accents in mind.It is an Australian film with an unique view of that countries culture in a future mode.

Jennifer S.
02-10-2003, 06:14 PM
Like i said.I'm just used to the dubbed track.Thus whether right or wrong is how i like the film.

I have no problems with the sequels.+ Had i only seen the undubbed version of Mad Max over the years.Then of course i would be used to that & prefer that.

JamieC
02-11-2003, 09:33 AM
Whilst it was strange that they felt the need to dub over the Australian soundtrack it does lend a spaghetti-western type feel to the move. I quite like both soundtracks, but what do I know?

Travis Sheldon
02-12-2003, 02:30 AM
I remember paying $25 for a copy of the original Aussie dub from a guy that used to place ads in Comics Weekly.
When the SE DVD came out, I nearly did too!

Cam F
02-18-2003, 05:01 PM
I saw Mad max years ago. And I always hated the dubbing. The generic American voices were just so irritating to me. I knew the film was Australian and I knew what mel Gibson's voice sounded like so I knew I was missing out on something. In fact, I didn't really like Mad Max all that much when I first saw it because of the dubbing. It was distracting to me.

Then I heard the original track on the MGM dvd and... Holy Cow. I knew it would make a difference and it did! I love the film now.

The dialogue was recorded on the set and sounds so much better when spoken by the real actors when they are really interacting. Horray for the MGM dvd!

The commentary is fun too!

mark t
02-18-2003, 10:59 PM
I haven't seen this movie in years, and i'm pretty surprised that they would actually do English dubbing. I know quite a few people from Australia, and never had any problems understanding them....very strange, indeed.

peterbliss
02-19-2003, 05:33 PM
I for one am a little skeptical with Mad Max 4 and this is purely to do with my disappointment with Beyond Thunderdome which was a strangely muted and a little interior for my liking.

There is word on the street that George Miller is goind to sprinkle the film with cameos of previous actors - Like Tina Turner etc.

Personally I would like the gyrocopter pilot to make another appearance (Bruce Spence) or perhaps the resurecction of the goose (Steve Bisley from Mad Max 1 ).

Apparently George Miller has worked on the script for over a year and the word from Fox studios is that it is the most completed script they have seen in years.No re-writes required.Just onto filming.

I hope that the vision is as original as The Road Warrior and just as exciting.Not just another generic watered down action flick.

Jennifer S.
02-19-2003, 06:26 PM
Another interesting 'cameo' would be Maxes wife!

Remember she was not killed right away when we last saw her in the hospital.Said she was in a coma or something while the baby died right away.

So what if she recovered...& they ran into each other years down the line?

Could make for a interesting tragic story.

Bill M
02-20-2003, 09:00 AM
I have no hope for this..Thunderdome was the americanization of the whole series...The first two were awesome then Mel became a star and they went big budget and dumbed it down for the typical movie goer..i knew Thunderdome was gonna suck when the Gyro captain came out with CLEAN teeth..cant see how a 4th one will be any better

peterbliss
02-20-2003, 05:51 PM
I think that Mad Max 2 alludes to maxs wife being dead....if she was alive the complexion of the story of this one would have been different

Jennifer S.
02-20-2003, 06:17 PM
Oh...well i always thought basically he just drove off into the wasteland & kept on going leaving the past behind him.

Of course i saw Road Warrior long before the original.So i was always wondering what the footage durring the begining was from & how many movies in the series were their since there were many different covers for part 1 when i was a kid,mainly various Goodtimes releases.

Al Edwards
07-10-2005, 07:18 AM
Its revenge driven climax is my favorite part of the film.

John Winters
07-10-2005, 07:29 AM
Like i said.I'm just used to the dubbed track.Thus whether right or wrong is how i like the film.

I have no problems with the sequels.+ Had i only seen the undubbed version of Mad Max over the years.Then of course i would be used to that & prefer that.

Count me in as someone who like the dubbed version better. I saw the dubbed version about 15 times, at the theatres in 1980, and then on cable, and video, then on LD, so naturally, seeing it in its original Australian version is off putting, as all I have in my brains and memory are the U.S dubbed voices. I also prefer Bubba's voice better in the dubbed version over the aussie version. I guess I am one of those old timers who prefer the mono mix of JAWS over the 5.1 I guess......

John Winters
07-10-2005, 07:31 AM
Another interesting 'cameo' would be Maxes wife!

Remember she was not killed right away when we last saw her in the hospital.Said she was in a coma or something while the baby died right away.

So what if she recovered...& they ran into each other years down the line?

Could make for a interesting tragic story.

Or Goose, even though he was cooked, he could show up with a burned face, like THE BURNING!