PDA

View Full Version : Book about Hammer Film Studios ?

Benjamin C
09-26-2007, 08:17 AM
I feel like doing some little background research on the Hammer Studios, i always loved their work and the cast and directors assoicated with this famous British studio, but i know little about the history of the studio. So i decided to look for a book which gives a nice global overview of their history and maybe a few interviews with people like Peter Cushing and Freddie Francis and so on and mabye some short reviews. Does anybody have som recommendations which books i should look for ?

I spotted one on Amazon which is called "The Hammer Story: The Authorised History of Hammer Films" by Marcus Hearn. It seems to cover the most basic info's about Hammer and some reviews so i guess it would be a nice buy for a friendly price. But if anyone has some more recommendations then please feel free to post them here. :)

Barry M.
09-26-2007, 08:54 AM
Denis Meikle, A History of Horrors: The Rise and Fall of the House of Hammer, The Scarecrow Press, 1996. Amazon has it for $36.95 -- abe.com has used copies slightly higher, which might mean it's going out of print? Very detailed studio production history, occasionally juicily anecdotal, but the point is the history of the studio, so there's a lot that's less juicy.

You could do worse than picking up as many back issues of Little Shoppe of Horrors as you can -- many many interviews with those involved. They're some kind of wonderful. Check them out if you haven't. Vol. 19 is just out, and is Fisher-riffic -- thanks for reminding me to order.

http://www.littleshoppeofhorrors.com

Gary Banks
09-26-2007, 12:12 PM
Denis Meikle, A History of Horrors: The Rise and Fall of the House of Hammer, The Scarecrow Press, 1996. Amazon has it for $36.95 -- abe.com has used copies slightly higher, which might mean it's going out of print? Very detailed studio production history, occasionally juicily anecdotal, but the point is the history of the studio, so there's a lot that's less juicy.

I'll second this one. Picked it up years ago and it was a great read into the back story of Hammer. Not so much film reviews but all of the troubles and censorship issues are brought up here.

dave hartley
09-26-2007, 02:59 PM
An excellent companion to Denis Meikle's book are the two books by Wayne Kinsey :- Hammer Films The Bray Studio Years and Hammer Films The Elstree Studio Years. More detail on the production of individual films. (And the twenty odd issues of Wayne's magazine The House That Hammer Built forms an encyclopedia of Hammer and the people associated with it).

Still haven't got my copy of the new LSOH - can't wait !

Tim Young
09-26-2007, 03:40 PM
I highly recommend Wayne Kinsey's books. There is also a good book on Peter Cushing by David Miller which has plenty of details about his Hammer work, plus loads else.

Take a look at my film book pages for reviews: http://mondo-esoterica.net/books/index.html

Steve R
09-26-2007, 06:59 PM
House of Hammer was a pretty good entry level look-see book. Great pix,film posters. But for info it's been eclipsed

You may want to check out the documentary, Flesh And Blood. It was made for British Television by Newsom (Newson?). Though he had to use trailers for film clips it gives a very nice overview with some heavy concentration on Frankenstein, Dracula, Mummy pictures. And covers some of the other non-horror fare like the prehistoric and period peices, some of the creepy murderer and the more serious sci-fi efforts at the beginning. I believe it was the last time Cushing and Lee worked together. The film is very enjoyable and though not a slick professional job, it has affection and brimms with detail. Lots of interviews, many directors, producers set design as well as Caroline Munro. It's pretty easy to find or rent -Neflix has it.