PDA

View Full Version : Awful Dr. Orloff

Johan Melle
09-15-2002, 10:53 AM
Hasn't this one been released by Dutch Film Works? I couldn't find any information on this release, so I'm curious; is this the complete Spanish version or is it the same as the Image version which is cut by 10 minutes?

Troy Howarth
09-15-2002, 03:04 PM
Get FACELESS instead? Haven't seen FACELESS yet, but ORLOF is good and essential viewing for Francophiles.

Troy Howarth
09-15-2002, 03:19 PM
Cool. Thanks, Michael. Though the thought of seeing Telly Savalas and Anton Diffring dubbed into French doesn't make me happy. :)

Magnus Wersen
09-15-2002, 03:59 PM
FACELESS better than ORLOF? The film Franco did for a fat French producer to pay his rent? According to interviews Franco absolutely hated doing FACELESS which was more of a mercenary job than anything else.

Troy Howarth
09-15-2002, 04:03 PM
Franco also hates ORLOF, so the point is possibly moot. I've yet to see FACELESS, but it's strange that I've never gone out of my way to pick it up - especially considering that cast (including Diffring's last performance).

John G.
09-15-2002, 04:07 PM
Never trust an artist about his work. Mario Bava considered 5 DOLLS FOR AN AUGUST MOON to be his absolute worst film, but I thought it was a fantastic mystery and very entertaining flick overall.

Troy Howarth
09-15-2002, 04:16 PM
Bava had little positive to say about ANY of his films. He only publicly spoke well of BLACK SABBATH, BLACK SUNDAY, TWITCH OF THE DEATH NERVE and HATCHET FOR THE HONEYMOON.

Troy Howarth
09-15-2002, 05:22 PM
Actually, he didn't. He said it was too much money and too many people to deal with. He said he prefers making films with a crew of like 5 people.

Troy Howarth
09-15-2002, 05:43 PM
A good one - indeed THE ONLY ONE - is OBSESSION: THE FILMS OF JESS FRANCO, by Christian Kessler, Lucas Balbo, Peter Blumenstock and Tim Lucas. It includes some terrific interviews with Franco, Howard Vernon, Jack Taylor and so forth, as well as an overview of his career, reviews, insights, etc. Alas, it's out of print, but you might find it on Ebay.

Joe L
09-15-2002, 09:54 PM
Just saw FACELESS. Pretty good, if an old theme.