PDA

View Full Version : Blaxploitation Cinema - The Essential Reference Guide (Josiah Howard)

Richard C
05-09-2007, 08:38 AM
Anybody heard anything about this book? (From FAB Press website):

http://www.fabpress.com/artwork/large/FAB082.jpg

'Josiah Howard's book is frankly the best guide on the subject that I have ever seen.'
- Jack Hill, director of blaxploitation classics Coffy and Foxy Brown.

Dazzling, highly stylized, excessively violent and brimming with sex, blaxploitation films enjoyed a brief but memorable moment in motion picture history. Never before - and never since - have so many African American performers been featured in films, not in bit parts, but in name-above-the-title starring roles.

Twenty five years after they first thrilled audiences the body of films known as blaxploitation are enjoying a renaissance. Not only do the pictures continue to captivate film fans, but the entire genre, with its bevy of colourful, utterly-contemporary film characters, irresistible soundtrack albums and catchy film titles, is finally taking its rightful place among the entertainment industry's most enjoyed, and influential, movies.

Directly answering the call for a new and appreciative look back at a distinctly American motion picture phenomenon, Blaxploitation Cinema: The Essential Reference Guide is the first truly comprehensive examination of the genre, its films, its trends and its far-reaching impact, covering more than 240 blaxploitation films in detail.

Blaxploitation Cinema: The Essential Reference Guide will become the primary reference book on the genre, covering not just the films' heyday (1971-1976) but the entire decade (1970-1980). From Aaron Loves Angela to The Zebra Killer, they're all here in one indispensable volume.

Complimenting the text of Blaxploitation Cinema: The Essential Reference Guide are many of the vivid, highly-theatrical, motion picture posters and ads that promoted the films. Blaxploitation's rich and colourful poster art has been the sole subject of a number of coffee-table books. The hand-painted, elaborately illustrated posters and ad campaigns associated with the genre represent a now-gone golden era of sensational motion picture representation. Also features page after page of stunning action stills and original newspaper admats.

Terry Carpenter
05-09-2007, 09:17 AM
Blaxploitation is one of my favorite sub-genre's. I'll be sure to pick this baby up!

Jonathan Daniels
05-09-2007, 02:34 PM
This is a book that is long overdue. There isn't a lot of insightful critical information on these films or the genre. I'm a fan of Jack Hill's films so I'll heed his advice - I need to get a copy of this! Thanks for the information Richard. :)

Tom R
05-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Looks great. I hope its a little more 'technical' as I was underwhelmed by the other blax books I have. Too many stories by the actors/actress and not enough about the actual movies imo.

thanks for the info!

scott favareille
05-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Looks like another book to pick up.

Paul Casey
05-09-2007, 06:13 PM
Awesome. I need this. Good thing I get paid tomorrow!

Richard C
05-10-2007, 05:27 AM
It didn't have a release date over on the FAB Press website so if anyone hears when it is due out make sure to let us know :D

Tom R
05-10-2007, 09:13 AM
Its on Deepdiscount.com for $17.46 and it said released on May 15.

Richard C
05-10-2007, 09:40 AM
On the FAB Press website they just say June but I guess it's soon :D

Linn Haynes
05-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Its on Deepdiscount.com for $17.46 and it said released on May 15.

wow, that is a great price with free shipping! And their price for Nightmare USA is great as well!

Andy Copp
05-10-2007, 06:51 PM
Fucking FAB Press...I'm gonna go broke buying all their books this year!

Chris Poggiali
05-20-2007, 01:42 PM
I just pre-ordered this one also. I'm looking forward to a comprehensive and intelligent look at these films. I hope it also delves into the related books that came out during the period, from the Iceberg Slim and Donald Goines books from Holloway House and the Black Samurai and Superspade series to all the Mandingo/Falconhurst rip-offs and some of the obscurities below.

Chris Poggiali
05-20-2007, 01:50 PM
A few more.

Murder on the Wild Side became BLACK EYE, a Fred Williamson movie directed by Jack Arnold.

The Face of Night became HANGUP (a.k.a. SUPER DUDE), directed by Henry Hathaway.

Trick Baby got made as a movie, but its sequel -- Long White Con -- did not.

The Black Exorcist could've been a movie, but ABBY got there first!

Tom R
05-21-2007, 10:24 PM
Great pics, Chris.

Haven't gotten mine yet, so looks like June for this one.

Chris Poggiali
05-21-2007, 10:32 PM
I posted these on another thread, but they sort of relate to this one.

Shelia became the movie HONKY.

Siege is a '70s novel about a race war. Despite what's promised on the back cover, a movie was never made.

God Save the Mark, a wacky novel by Donald Westlake, was to be Bill Cosby's first motion picture. It never got made either.

C.L. James
06-05-2007, 02:12 PM
I love blackploitation, and I'm definitely getting this book. Adding it to my Deep Discount order next week, along with about 15 blaxpliotation titles I haven't been able to find in stores. Thanks for the info!

And thanks for the great pics!!!!

Anyone with some of the rare films in the series should PM me for trades, etc. Especially Boss Nigger and The Legend of Nigger Charlie. Been looking for those for quite some time, and love the radio trailers for those two titles on the highly recommend Super Bad, Super Black: Can You Dig? CD released a few years ago.

Ehren H.
06-05-2007, 02:22 PM
that gray-market dvd company BLAX released Boss Nigger, I saw it listed on some website but cannot for the life of me remember where. You can find it listed on Ebay quite often. I even saw a spanish 1 sheet for the movie! El Jefe Negro!

This book looks fantastic, I will be ordering.

Alex K.
06-07-2007, 06:04 PM
To avoid starting another thread; can anyone recommend some choice Blaxsploitation titles to a newb?

I've all ready seen Dolemite, may check out Shaft. Other's I'll be checking out eventually are: Cleopatra Jones, Welcome Home Brother Charles, Legend Of Nigger Charley, Boss Nigger, and Sweet Sweetback's Badassss Song.

Any others? I'm particularly interested in any stand out Fred Williamson flicks... the man was simply bad ass in Inglorious Bastards.

Graham Smith
06-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Most are worth watching, but the most essential are:

Coffy
Foxy Brown
Truck Turner
Superfly
Shaft
Shaft's Big Score
Black Caesar
Across 110th Street.

Magnus Wersen
06-07-2007, 06:15 PM
Any others? I'm particularly interested in any stand out Fred Williamson flicks... the man was simply bad ass in Inglorious Bastards.

I could recommend Fred Williamson titles all night but you should look for Black Caesar and its sequel Hell Up In Harlem, Bucktown, Hammer and his "black James Bond" flick, That Man Bolt. That should settle you for a while!

Terry Carpenter
06-07-2007, 06:16 PM
Coffy
Foxy Brown
The Mack
Truck Turner
Superfly
Black Caesar
Sweet Sweetback’s Baadasssss Song
Bone
Bucktown

Joshua Axelrad
06-08-2007, 11:19 AM
Vincent-"Willie Dynamite" is pretty tight. The soundtrack isn't anything special, but the lead actor Roscoe Orman (Gordon on "Sesame Street") and his rival Roger Robinson are great.....and the fashions out do "Superfly."

Chris Kewley
06-08-2007, 01:39 PM
To avoid starting another thread; can anyone recommend some choice Blaxsploitation titles to a newb?

I've all ready seen Dolemite, may check out Shaft. Other's I'll be checking out eventually are: Cleopatra Jones, Welcome Home Brother Charles, Legend Of Nigger Charley, Boss Nigger, and Sweet Sweetback's Badassss Song.

You simply MUST see HIT MAN (the cover of this book), above & beyond my all time favorate blaxploitation film.
Gordon's War, Trick Baby, The Spook Who Sat By The Door, Sugar Hill, Cool Breeze, Bamboo Gods & Iron Men.......ect, are all worth seeking out.

Richard C
06-08-2007, 02:00 PM
You simply MUST see HIT MAN (the cover of this book), ubove & beyond my all time favorate blaxploitation film.
Gordon's War, Trick Baby, The Spook How Sat By The Door, Sugar Hill, Cool Breeze, Bamboo Gods & Iron Men.......ect, are all worth seeking out.
I consider myself a fan of blaxploitation films but I have not seen any of those.... I hang my head in shame......

By the way what's happened to Candy Tangerine Man? Wasn't this supposed to get a release a year or so ago? (it seems like I've been asking longer than that...)

Tom R
06-20-2007, 09:00 AM
Deepdiscount now says that due to initial high demand for the book, its already backordered. Anybody happen to get theirs?

Richard C
06-20-2007, 10:06 AM
Deepdiscount now says that due to initial high demand for the book, its already backordered. Anybody happen to get theirs?
Amazon UK have put their date back to mid July due to difficulty in getting stock from their supplier.

Chris Poggiali
06-20-2007, 10:28 AM
By the way what's happened to Candy Tangerine Man? Wasn't this supposed to get a release a year or so ago?

I think Subversive was going to do this as part of their Matt Cimber collection -- along with LADY COCOA, which was spoiled for anyone who hadn't seen it by the Millie Perkins interview on Subversive's THE WITCH WHO CAME FROM THE SEA disc.

Richard C
06-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Did anyone in the UK order this with FAB Press? I didn't this time because I also put in a pre-order for the Cinema Sewer book.

C.L. James
12-07-2007, 09:23 AM
According to Amazon, it looks like this book is delayed yet again until March 08.

scott favareille
12-07-2007, 01:54 PM
Will this book ever get released?

Richard C
12-08-2007, 07:13 AM
According to Amazon, it looks like this book is delayed yet again until March 08.
There goes one of my Xmas presents then :(

Adam A
02-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Just watched Soul Vengeance, and realized that it's Welcome Home Brother Charles under a different title. Great film by the way!!

Randy Thomas G
02-03-2008, 04:49 AM
I put in an order for this a long time ago and Amazon cancelled it on me. :mad:

Caz Vincent
02-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Just watched Soul Vengeance, and realized that it's Welcome Home Brother Charles under a different title. Great film by the way!!

That's playing at the New Beverly in Los Angeles as a double feature w/Penitentiary in a few weeks--never thought I'd see a Jamaa Fanaka double feature on the big screen, but I'm pretty psyched!

Richard C
02-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Just put in a pre-order for this on FAB Press.

Paul Casey
02-07-2008, 12:34 PM

He definitely has an interesting weapon.

I have been patiently waiting for this goddamn book to come out.

Joshua Axelrad
02-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Me too, Paul.

As an aside, I constantly hear that the genre encompassed about 200 films but I have never seen more than the usual suspects listed.

Richard C
02-07-2008, 02:42 PM

According to FAB the book will be shipping out from them in "late March" - given they've now put an option to pre-order I'm guessing it's now ready to roll....

http://www.fabpress.com/vsearch.php?CO=FAB090

Paul Casey
02-07-2008, 04:02 PM
According to FAB the book will be shipping out from them in "late March" - given they've now put an option to pre-order I'm guessing it's now ready to roll....

http://www.fabpress.com/vsearch.php?CO=FAB090

Sweetness. I'll prolly pre-order after work.

Tom R
02-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Hopefully it will come through this time. Thanks for the heads up!

Steve R
02-08-2008, 07:26 PM
This looks great!

All the Fred Williamson Films
Calvin Lochart
Across 110th Street
Melinda - Jim Kelly
Cool Breeze
The Final Comedown
What was the blaxplotation remake of the informer called? Uptight?

I thought that the recent Dead Presidents had a lot of that style to it. Good gritty action with a nice politcal undercurrent, great soundtrack and a real feel for the neighborhood.

Adam A
02-08-2008, 09:39 PM

Me too! :D I watched The Candy Tangerine Man this week. Have you seen that one, Paul?

Paul Casey
02-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Me too! :D I watched The Candy Tangerine Man this week. Have you seen that one, Paul?

No, is it good? I haven't ordered any blaxploitation in a while. I may have to finish off the soul cinema line and go from there!

Brian B.
02-13-2008, 04:22 AM
TRUCK TURNER, SLAUGHTER, MANDINGO and DRUM are some faves. As much as I like Fred Williamson, I think he's a bit overrated. Aside from a good look and charisma, his action scenes are pretty lousy especially when he tries to do kung fu moves. His MEAN JOHNNY BARROWS is one of the worst blaxploitation movies I've seen. Some good things in the script but they're wasted along with a terribly wasted cast including Roddy McDowall and Stuart Whitman. Ditto for his ONE DOWN, TWO TO GO.