PDA

View Full Version : I need a good digital camera...

John G.
01-30-2007, 04:18 PM
...but I'm fairly clueless about such things. I was wondering if any fellow members here could help me out. It doesn't have to be anything too flashy. I just want the ability to be able to take halfway-passable pictures (at concerts and such) and be able to upload the images online.

Bård Haugland
01-30-2007, 04:26 PM
I had a Nikon Coolpix L4 until friday. It got stolen then. If you've seen the pictures I had in the photography-thread, they were taken with that camera.

Tim Young
01-30-2007, 04:47 PM
I have a Canon Ixus (its a British model I think, but search on Amazon for the model/price you want!). Very good, solid construction and takes fine photographs. Uploading is easy, either get a card reader, or just plug the USB lead provided, straight into the PC. When you find a good model, just type the name into google, there are plenty of camera review sites out there.

You can upload photos to a site like http://www.flickr.com/ for free.

Eric A
01-30-2007, 07:06 PM
I have a Nikon CoolPix L3 and it works great for taking casual pictures at shows and whatnot. Performance-wise, it's a bit slower during and between shots, but I found that inspite of that, it gives better results than similarly priced cameras. Plus it does 640X480 video at 30fps with sound. That was the deal breaker right there.

Todd J
01-30-2007, 07:32 PM
I have a Canon PowerShot SD600 Digital Elph. It's about the size of a credit card in height and width, and about an inch thick. It is 6 megapixels; it takes great pics and is easy to use and upload. You can also use it as a video camera. I love it a would recommend it to anyone. Mine was bought for $200 at Staples.

Edwin Samuelson
01-31-2007, 03:32 PM
...but I'm fairly clueless about such things. I was wondering if any fellow members here could help me out. It doesn't have to be anything too flashy. I just want the ability to be able to take halfway-passable pictures (at concerts and such) and be able to upload the images online.

I have this one and I consider it the best camera I ever had. I got it because of the excellent review from Consumer Reports:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Camera-Stabilized/dp/B000EN0K94/sr=8-3/qid=1170271827/ref=pd_bbs_3/104-8071488-1077542?ie=UTF8&s=electronics/-dvdmannet-20

John G.
01-31-2007, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the responses so far guys.

Adolph L.
01-31-2007, 04:38 PM
how bout 1 with a good zoom, especially for like wrestling events where u are seated far away?

Tim Young
01-31-2007, 04:49 PM
how bout 1 with a good zoom, especially for like wrestling events where u are seated far away?

Problem with a big zoom is that it can be very hard to keep the camera still enough to take a good photo. It is often better to use the camera on maximum resolution, and edit the photo later on a PC to cut off the unnecessary details.

Most compact cameras are not more than 3x optical zoom, and you should never use digital zoom. The best zoom camera I have is my 18x digital video camera which has inbuild still camera - although they might not let you take that into a wrestling arena.

Edwin Samuelson
01-31-2007, 05:31 PM

The Cannon I listed above has a wide angle lens, which is among one of the only cameras I know in that price range that has that wonderful feature. Plus, the zoom is damn good on it.

Damian P
01-31-2007, 09:33 PM
We get a lot of used digital cameras through my work. Of the many I've tried and tested I'd say Canon makes the best. They also have good resale value in case you ever want to upgrade.