PDA

View Full Version : Illmatic - I don't get it

Matt A
01-30-2007, 12:56 PM
Why is this album considered a classic? I first bought it in '98 and couldn't understand the fuss (didn't it get 5 mics in The Source?). Bought it again last week thinking I might get something out of it that I missed the first time - still don't get it. It's like a sub par Gang Starr album.

Josh S
01-30-2007, 01:20 PM
Maybe you just suck at liking rap.

Scott Ruhl
01-30-2007, 02:43 PM
Nice beats and clean rhymes, what else is there?

All the songs are good and there's no filler, like alot of early to mid 90's rap it isn't overcooked. That's not to say the production is simple but it has a nice melody that's easily likeable.

Matt A
01-30-2007, 02:50 PM
Maybe you just suck at liking rap.

A long time ago a man gave me a mission - write an essay on BAT PUSSY. Now I am giving you a mission, Mr. Stuckey - write an essay on Illmatic. I'll look for it next Friday. Is that enough time?

Scott Ruhl
01-30-2007, 02:58 PM
It's like a sub par Gang Starr album.

I like Gang Starr better, they consistently put out good albums, but I would think anyone who's a fan of them would like at least Nas' first album. I do think Nas is a more interesting rapper than Guru, but they both got good flow.

Matt A
01-30-2007, 03:44 PM
Don't get me wrong - it's a good album, just not the classic of the form that some people make it out to be. It wouldn't make my top 25, much less top 10.

Don Guarisco
01-30-2007, 04:15 PM
You should play the Illmatic album during your SUPER BOWL PARTY! I know it throws off the Paul Simon musical theme but DAMN! It will be even twice as cool as the Super Bowl commericals and three times as cool as your new widescreen t.v.! YOWZA!!!

Matt A
01-30-2007, 04:19 PM
You should play the Illmatic album during your SUPER BOWL PARTY! I know it throws off the Paul Simon musical theme but DAMN! It will be even twice as cool as the Super Bowl commericals and three times as cool as your new widescreen t.v.! YOWZA!!!

HAIL MARRY, BROADWAY JOE!!!

William R.
01-30-2007, 05:42 PM
You're from Colorado. There's a lot of things in life you don't get.

Chad Haden
01-30-2007, 05:49 PM
Is that why you called me at midnight and woke me up?

Matt A
01-30-2007, 06:06 PM
Is that why you called me at midnight and woke me up?

No. I was calling to see if I should go to the liquor store even though I was already drunk.

Ian Jane
01-30-2007, 06:17 PM
A long time ago a man gave me a mission - write an essay on BAT PUSSY.

I think it's time I gave you a new mission. You have too much free time on your hands.

Chad Haden
01-30-2007, 06:20 PM
No. I was calling to see if I should go to the liquor store even though I was already drunk.

Oh, did you go?

Matt A
01-30-2007, 06:29 PM
Yes. I had had a 40 of Mickey's and a shot of Jack. After I called you I went and bought a 24oz. Tecate. I feel like shit today and I'm not drinking again until Chicago.

Chad Haden
01-30-2007, 06:43 PM
Sounds like a quality evening to me

Scott Ruhl
01-30-2007, 06:57 PM
Yes. I had had a 40 of Mickey's and a shot of Jack. After I called you I went and bought a 24oz. Tecate. I feel like shit today and I'm not drinking again until Chicago.

You might say that now but I said that three days ago and am now drinking homade cherry brandy so you better not call me a liar!

Don Guarisco
01-30-2007, 07:11 PM
...am now drinking homade cherry brandy...

Homade? You mean like, made by hos?

Man, you need to bottle that and sell it. Snoop Dogg would endorse it and you could put Bishop Don Magic Juan in the commercials.

Scott Ruhl
01-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Excuse my faux pa.

Josh S
01-30-2007, 08:01 PM
A long time ago a man gave me a mission - write an essay on BAT PUSSY. Now I am giving you a mission, Mr. Stuckey - write an essay on Illmatic. I'll look for it next Friday. Is that enough time?

My first post was my essay.

Matt A
01-30-2007, 08:10 PM
More wise apples like that and I'll make you write one on the Boo-ya Tribe too.

John G.
02-08-2007, 03:09 PM
*bump*

Well Matthew, I'm sort of a rap newbie compared to most here, but I've been getting increasingly into the genre as of late, and so I've started seeking out some of the undisputed rap classics. I viewed two videos from this album on youtube, and I got to say that I'm really impressed by it (which I wasn't expecting to be... I've heard some of Nas' later stuff and it seems very commercial and blah).

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/80x6x3Bc1yM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/80x6x3Bc1yM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I dunno Matthew... it sounds pretty amazing to me. No-nonsense stuff, very laid-back smooth delivery, reminds me a bit of the alternative-rap stuff like A Tribe Called Quest and early Roots. Am I wrong in thinking his later stuff sounds NOTHING like this?

Don Guarisco
02-08-2007, 03:18 PM
Excuse my faux pa.

I know it's late for a comeback but I just remembered an old line from DIFF'RENT STROKES -

"You did what to yo pa?!?"

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/E/recall_marycarey_coleman.jpg

Matt A
02-08-2007, 03:34 PM
*bump*

Well Matthew, I'm sort of a rap newbie compared to most here, but I've been getting increasingly into the genre as of late, and so I've started seeking out some of the undisputed rap classics. I viewed two videos from this album on youtube, and I got to say that I'm really impressed by it (which I wasn't expecting to be... I've heard some of Nas' later stuff and it seems very commercial and blah).

I dunno Matthew... it sounds pretty amazing to me. No-nonsense stuff, very laid-back smooth delivery, reminds me a bit of the alternative-rap stuff like A Tribe Called Quest and early Roots. Am I wrong in thinking his later stuff sounds NOTHING like this?

I think that what I really take exception to is the whole 5 mics rating and the similarities (to my ears) between Illmatic and the Gang Starr albums from around that same time, which I think were much more dynamic and hook-laden than Nas' debut but working from the same framework. I don't hate it, I just think it's overrated. I also think Jay-Z and Eminem are overrated so what do I know. I like KISS. :D

John G.
02-08-2007, 03:37 PM
You are not alone in your indifference to Jay-Z.

William R.
02-08-2007, 04:12 PM
Back in school, during the early hours of our mornings in class, the teachers used to sit kids six at a table. Each table had a tape recorder set up in the middle and six sets of headphones per table. Now, I don't know if this was because it was easier to have a tape go over our EWT workbooks with us or if the teacher simply washed her hands of us like Pilate did of Jesus. Where am I going with this? Well, one spring morning one of the young men at my table brought in a tape and switched out the EWT drone with his. A common occurrence this was, but that particular morning was different. The tape we all listened to was a new hip hop album by an emcee named Nas, who popped up once or twice in the past. Not long after the record started, it was like someone set of a bomb in the room. Halfway through "N.Y. State of Mind" we were convinced we were listening to God's gift to lyricism. It just spoke to us. More so than Rakim and Kool G. Rap ever did. That was our older brother's shit. Nas was ours. Black Moon was ours. Wu-Tang the year before was ours. Every time I play the record I'm instantly brought back to that overcrowded classroom and a bunch of bobbing heads.

What was the point of all that crap? I'm bored and I like the album, and all in all it was a good year for buying records.

Illmatic
Hard to Earn
Blowout Comb
Niggamortis
To the Death
The Sun Rises in the East
Ill Communication
The Most Beautifullest Thing in This World
Ready to Die
Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik
Dare Iz a Darkside
Do You Want More?!!!??!
Tical
Resurrection
Play Witcha Mama :D

Matt A
02-08-2007, 04:35 PM
That was our older brother's shit. Nas was ours. Black Moon was ours. Wu-Tang the year before was ours. Every time I play the record I'm instantly brought back to that overcrowded classroom and a bunch of bobbing heads.

You hooligans and your head bobbing music! :D

I get what you're saying. I had a similar experience with Guns and Roses. I had a math class with this stoner kid with tinted prescription glasses and he would let me listen to all his new tapes. One day he pops in the Live ?!*@ Like a Suicide EP and I had never heard anything like it. A few months later I'm listening to the radio and the DJ says she's gonna play a song by a new band called Guns & Roses. It was "Welcome to the Jungle" and I immediately recognized it as being the same band on that tape. The next day they were all anyone could talk about.

Have I ever mentioned that I grew up in suburban Colorado? :p

William R.
02-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Have I ever mentioned that I grew up in suburban Colorado? :p

I knew this dude from Denver (Montenegro, Montebello or some shit). He listened to all that West Coast crap, what were the radio stations like there? I'm wondering what you were most turned on to by the media in the area. Did your hip hop stations mix it up or was it lopsided?

Matt A
02-08-2007, 05:16 PM
I knew this dude from Denver (Montenegro, Montebello or some shit). He listened to all that West Coast crap, what were the radio stations like there? I'm wondering what you were most turned on to by the media in the area. Did your hip hop stations mix it up or was it lopsided?

We had no hip hop stations until about 5 years ago. Now we have one, KS 107.5, and they stick to whatever is playing on MTV at the moment - Young Jeezy, Chingy, Three 6 Mafia, etc... Before that they were an R&B station that would throw in whatever top 40 hip hop was hot in between Mariah Carey and Destiny's Child and play it to death, mainly Snoop and Eminem. Our hard rock/metal station had this promo in the late 80's where they would play the opening to "Hit it Run" and then have a guy say "We don't play that crap!" followed by some Jackyl or something. The jocks I went to high school with liked Too Short, 2 Live Crew and N.W.A. but nobody listened to East coast rap except me and my nerd friends.

My girlfriend ended up going to school in Kansas City in 1992 and met a lot of kids from the East Coast who turned her onto different hip hop groups. She'd make me mix tapes and that was how I would find out about different artists.

Matt A
02-08-2007, 05:18 PM
...Montenegro, Montebello...

Montbello. That's where I am right now. It's what most redneck Coloradans consider to be the "ghetto".

Josh S
02-08-2007, 07:26 PM

I wouldn't describe early Roots as smooth, but rather a group that you can see moving in that direction. But, yeah, other than maybe LOST TAPES nothing sounds like ILLMATIC that Nas has done.

William R.
02-09-2007, 08:04 AM
But, yeah, other than maybe LOST TAPES nothing sounds like ILLMATIC that Nas has done.

This is why the baby Jesus cries.