PDA

View Full Version : My very metal night with Overkill and Metal Church at BB Kings

John G.
01-29-2007, 11:14 AM
I drive down to the city at 5 PM and I'm VERY lucky to find a parking spot on 42nd street about two blocks down from the venue, making for a very easy exit after the show and not having to pay ludicrously high fees at a parking garage. I line up with some very metal dudes (you know the cliche, long hair, metal shirts, jean jackets patched up with cool band logos) and I buy my tickets.

Me and a buddy have about an hour to kill so we head over to Virgin Megastore at Times Square and I blow my week's pay on a shitload of those Roadrunner reissue imports...

Atrophy - Socialized Hate / Violent By Nature
Crimson Glory - Strange and Beautiful
Pestilence - Mind Reflections
Toxik - World Circus / Think This
Xentrix - Kin
Znowhite - Act of God

The show starts at 7:30 when a band who aptly call themselves Red Right Hand take the stage, as their performance is about as useful for humanity as masturbating. A couple of weak half-thrash tracks, and they end with a cover of Slayer's Black Magic, which is pretty sad when your best song is a cover. Musically they were alright, but the vocalist seriously sucked.

Next came Meliah Rage... I don't know what the hell happened to these guys. They used to be a pretty decent traditional metal band in the late 80s, but apparently they got sick of playing good music and instead peddled this groove thrash, very weak vocalist, some decent moments to be sure, but I longed for the old school stuff.

Belladonna of Anthrax took the stage next... I saw Anthrax a few months back in New Jersey for the taping of their recent live DVD, but I was completely unfamiliar with his solo stuff. Turns out it's pretty good melodic heavy metal, some thrashy moments... very nice. He ended the setlist with Indians, which got the crowd very excited.

Metal Church was next, and boy did they deliver... Vocalist Ronny Munroe was phenomenal, hitting all the high notes, great stage presence. The band was tight and confident. Best of all, though, was the setlist, packed with classics from the band's first two albums, including Beyond the Black, Metal Church, Gods of Wrath, Start the Fire and Ton Of Bricks. After the show, I got a chance to talk to Munroe briefly... he was very cool.

Overkill were the headliners and they gave an intense, high level performance. Some of the mid-era to later stuff I'm less than familiar with, but there were plenty of classics from the golden years. The highlights for me were Deny the Cross, Wrecking Crew, Powersurge, Hello from the Gutter, Elimination, Thanks for Nothing and Nice Day for a Funeral. The band ended their first set with their punky Old School, and the last show of the encore was, of course, Fuck You, Bobby Blitz ending the performance by diving into the crowd.

Overall it was a fantastic show. If you get the chance to see Overkill live, don't miss it.

Ian Jane
01-29-2007, 12:50 PM
I've seen Overkill three times now and will continue to go see them whenever they come to town - they're always a kick.

William R.
01-29-2007, 01:02 PM
I was going to go that show, but I caught my death that afternoon. I'm a bit bummed, but I've seen them so many times now (most of which at the Birch Hill) that I'm not crying in my beer. It seems John had enough fun for the both us. :D

Dave Starry
01-30-2007, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the review John. Metal Church are heading my way soon (playing in Coeur d'Alene ID on Feb. 23), so I'll have to make an effort to check them out. I've seen the band twice in the past -- in June of '84 opening for Slayer in Portland, OR, and then in June of '92 at a Rock the Environment festival in central Washington. I'm not too familiar with their newer material, but if they're playing lots of old tunes, I'll be lovin' it.

John G.
01-30-2007, 12:57 PM
No problem Dave. I was in the same situation as you... I love their early stuff to death, but haven't gotten around to picking up their newer stuff. They only played two newer songs off their latest album (you just gotta plug) but everything else was strictly off the first two albums. It was pretty incredible.

Oh, and the two new songs came across very good live, but I've heard mixed things about the album. I'm going to give it a shot eventually though...