PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Trouble, Need Help!!

Jennifer S.
01-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Alright I just got a complaint notice from paypal about an unhappy customer demanding a refund,claiming he was lied to about the item.

My older brother who I should know not too trust was using my account to sell some of his stuff,since he didn't have an account. And it all started when he wanted to sell a couple of his PS2 games,then tossed in various sports jerseys,dvds,and a couple gold chains he has.

The item in question is one of the gold chains. Here is his email

this goldchain is not real it is gold bonded i asked you specifically if this chain was real gold ,not filled , bonded ,or plated.before i got into a bidding war and you said it was real gold.i would like a refund or i will have to take the steps to put in a complaint.you might not know much about jewelry so i will give you a chance to refund me and i will send you back this poker chain

My brother is telling me since no refund is offered,to not worry about this. But I'm sure paypal could still take the $112 out of my bank account in order to do the refund correct? If that happens,then my brother has to give me back the $112,which he now does not have. Since he spent the $300 he made on the last auctions already.

He is currently selling his Xbox360 which is up to almost $300 now and one more sports jersey. So I guess once that money is deposited into my paypal account. I just subtract the $112 and give him what's left. But I know he'd try to weasle his way out of it. And I know after his last two auctions end,this will be the final time I let him sell stuff on ebay with my account.

Now the chain in question was just advertised as 18K gold poker chain and no refunds offered and showed the photo of the item,so it's pretty basic and the exact item as shown in the photo was what was mailed. Now maybe my brother didn't know it was not '100% gold' and assumed a gold coating made it 'gold'. And when he bought this himself a few years ago for $120 at a fair. He was lead to believe it was 'gold' as well. I don't really know much about this stuff myself. So maybe the customer is just being confusing to get money back?

But here is the one thing that concerns me the most(other than potential first ever negative feedback) is the customer(who is from Canada btw) in questions first ever ebay purchase was the gold chain in my auction. So he had 0 feedback when he won it,and that concerned us. But he did pay us and we mailed him the item.

So far out of the many items(12 total) we mailed a couple weeks ago along with the gold chain,have all received positive feedback. And then today I see an email from paypal and the customer on the issue.

I don't know if my brother emailed the guy or not,since no messages are shown in my message folder. Unless he erased all the messages from the previous auctions,since only new messages are shown including replies to those messages.

So what can I do in this situation?

Alyss N.
01-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Think about it... if it were you buying something on ebay only to find out it was not the "real" thing... how would you want the seller to handle it?

I say tell you brother that when the stuff that's there sells you're deducting the $112. If he doesn't agree cancel the auctions now. You'll be stuck with a few dollars worth of seller fees but hopefully you won't actually have to do that. It'd be really unfair to screw the buyer out of their money when they're so justified in their complaint.

Paul A J Lewis
01-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Sounds like your problem isn't with eBay or with your customer, Chris...

Kenneth M
01-26-2007, 03:40 PM
As soon as PayPal gets the $ from the xbox 360, it will hold $112 for that guy. The only way you can get around it is if you request the buyer for the xbox to pay without using paypal. I know this because just after I sent a $100 item to an individual from canada, he filed a dispute and as soon as I transferred funds to my bank account, paypal stopped the transfer and witheld the $100. Because he wasn't a verified buyer, he ended up getting his money back, and the item I sent to him. Anyway, if you don't want to pay the guy you need to empty (or close) your bank account, set up another one (tell the bank that someone might have stole all your bank info), tell the winners of your auctions to pay by check or money order instead of using PayPal and don't pay the guy. Or, just pay him. It kind of was his responsibility to research what he was selling before he sold it (i.e. take it to a pawn shop or jewelers) and not just take the word of the guy that sold it to him.

Scott Ruhl
01-26-2007, 03:42 PM
... the customer(who is from Canada btw)...
So what can I do in this situation?

I think that's your problem right there. Fucking commies.

Kristian R
01-26-2007, 03:42 PM
Awesome. A new Chris Keonig thread for the weekend. :cool:

Take the chain back from the buyer. Then refund his money. Take your brother's money from the other auction to cover your costs and then give him a fat lip if he complains.

Alyss N.
01-26-2007, 03:43 PM
Sounds like you're problem isn't with eBay or with your customer, Chris...

Yes, indeedy.

Troy Howarth
01-26-2007, 03:46 PM
This isn't brain surgery, Chris - your brother is responsible, so it's time for him to step up to the plate and deal with it. That's the long and the short of it.

Paul A J Lewis
01-26-2007, 03:51 PM
This isn't brain surgery, Chris - your brother is responsible, so it's time for him to step up to the plate and deal with it.
Hit 'im. Go on, hit 'im...

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/5926/2479817hf4.jpg

'Ave it!

mark t
01-26-2007, 03:57 PM
I think that's your problem right there. Fucking commies.

I hate when Canadians expect you to send them exactly what you advertised, and when you don't, they want their money that they paid for it back. What the fuck is the matter with some countries? When we're finished in Iraq, we should bomb the shit out of that backwards country. :)

Paul A J Lewis
01-26-2007, 03:59 PM
I hate when Canadians expect you to send them exactly what you advertised, and when you don't, they want their money that they paid for it back.
Some people have no fucking manners, do they, Mark? This guy'll be talking about 'customers' rights' next.

Troy Howarth
01-26-2007, 04:01 PM
I smell bullshit.

mark t
01-26-2007, 04:10 PM
I smell bullshit.

thusly so. :)

Chris, your brother ripped some dude off. To say that he's not gonna give the guy his money is retarded. Tell him to do the right thing. If you don't, or he doesn't, I don't know, tell your mom or something.

Fred Adelman
01-26-2007, 04:12 PM
I get these notices by email all the time. It's a phishing scheme. If it's an email from someone looking for an item you never put up, DON'T ANSWER IT.

It just validates that the eBay user ID and email address are valid. That's all a hacker needs to invade your account and start pilfering your good name.

If you are really worried about it, send a copy of the email to eBay's Fraud Department. They will tell you if it is valid or not.

Until then: DON'T REPLY TO THE EMAIL!!!!!

Or you'll be sorry.

Don Guarisco
01-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Chris, Your brother is either lying or doesn't know what he's doing - either way, he's taking advantage of you by doing this stuff in your account. Though you were foolish to trust him - it sounds like you knew he was a liar going into it - you shouldn't have to suffer for his mistakes. Let him eat the loss. And besides, paying the guy back is the only honorable thing to do - he's being extremely patient and civil with you two.

Two final things -

1) Don't get mixed up in any other dealings with your brother
2) Never, ever let anyone do business in your name or using your account.

Paul A J Lewis
01-26-2007, 04:20 PM
If you don't, or he doesn't, I don't know, tell your mom or something.
Or we'll tell your mum... and then neither of you will get supper.

Paul A J Lewis
01-26-2007, 04:21 PM
1) Don't get mixed up in any other dealings with your brother
2) Never, ever let anyone do business in your name or using your account.
That's really good advice from Don, btw.

Ian Jane
01-26-2007, 04:26 PM
That's really good advice from Don, btw.

In all seriousness, I second that. Listen to Don.

Kristian R
01-26-2007, 04:40 PM
Except... if there is a cyborg holding a gun to your head.

Paul A J Lewis
01-26-2007, 04:42 PM
Except... if there is a cyborg holding a gun to your head.
*Nods in agreement*

Alyss N.
01-26-2007, 04:46 PM
Interesting...

Not particularly. :p

Troy Howarth
01-26-2007, 04:52 PM
Go get a room for Chrissakes... I'm about to hurl already. (For the record, I'm just here because I'm fascinated with train wrecks) :D

Troy Howarth
01-26-2007, 04:59 PM
Save up some dollars if you want it that bad!

Troy Howarth
01-26-2007, 05:03 PM
No, sir. I wish you all the best in your endeavors, of course, but there's some shit a man has to walk through alone. :D

Paul A J Lewis
01-26-2007, 05:18 PM
Hey, it's worth it. She's my online cyber love pookie face.

On a seldom and rarely seen serious note, I would like to meet a *lot* of you guys. I'm going to a con in New Jersey and wanted Alyss to hang out and drink beer, but she says "she can't go." But eventually, I'd like to have a DVD Maniacs union in maybe Ian Jane's backyard. I bet he could cook up a helluva steak, and we could sit around a fire and listen to me and Richard C tell fart jokes. You could smack Matthew Allison a few times for fun, Fred Adelman would be the life of the party, William R. would bring his ghetto down, and Paul A.J Lewis' presence would just silence all. Ian Miller and Bill Pissott could bring the stereo, and we could all make fun of Swedish Joe, who wouldn't be there since he wasn't invited to come. There'd be a Chris Koenig or two, and maybe some Kristian R to be had.

What an epic.
Sounds like a cool time had by all! And we could build a narrative around it and make a movie about us all. Maybe we could sell this movie on eBay, using Chris' account :p

Troy Howarth
01-26-2007, 05:20 PM
I'd certainly like to meet many of you, too - even Aaron C. :D Not but kidding aside, it's a wonderful environment here, much of the time, and it would be a blast to argue with you all over a beer or two....

Kristian R
01-26-2007, 05:22 PM
Just don't let Allison talk you into "wrestling" after drinking a few beers.

Troy Howarth
01-26-2007, 05:23 PM
Yeah, let's ask Chris for his secret code... think he'll give it up? :D

Paul A J Lewis
01-26-2007, 05:26 PM
Yeah, let's ask Chris for his secret code... think he'll give it up? :D
Think we can guess?

Now, we know he likes slasher movies....

Troy Howarth
01-26-2007, 05:27 PM
...and films in their original mono sound... and Cruising...

Paul A J Lewis
01-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Is it 'theburning'?

Paul A J Lewis
01-26-2007, 05:28 PM
...and films in their original mono sound... and Cruising...
and closed captions...

Ian Jane
01-26-2007, 05:30 PM
I bet it's 'uncutdevilscruisingwalmart.'

Troy Howarth
01-26-2007, 05:32 PM
I think Ian could be correct!

Paul A J Lewis
01-26-2007, 05:33 PM
I bet it's 'uncutdevilscruisingwalmart.'
:D I think I've got a hernia now.

Kristian R
01-26-2007, 05:33 PM
If that's not it it's probably a combination of his social security number and his mother's maiden name.

Jennifer S.
01-26-2007, 06:15 PM
You guys are a riot:)

Anyway back to some seriousness and more suspisous activities.

The Xbox auction just ended with some guy coming in at the very last minute with ZERO feedback and winning the auction($379). This guy then sends an email saying "I won't be able to pay until Monday or Tuesday, I will be back in the country then(i'm in Australia),I live in the U.S.,promise!, I just have to change/update my bank account and will pay,promise!".

Then we get an email from the previous highest bidder,stating if we don't feel safe selling to the person who won,to let him know. So we sent him a second chance offer to buy it at his max bidding price($370). So hopefully he takes the offer,since I don't trust these suspisous zero feeback bidders!

And I emailed the chain guy telling him to send the chain back to us as he said he would,and then we will issue full refund,since it shows him true to his word(since he could claim he sent it back and it was 'lost' in the mail,while still getting our money). So I'll see if he replies and what he says.

Also I got the two chains confused,the other chain my brother sold he bought for $120 at a fair,but he said the poker chain he sold,he bought at a jewlers for $400+ years ago.

Ian Jane
01-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Your brother has a lot of gold chains.

Pimpin!

Kristian R
01-26-2007, 06:25 PM
I'm picturing Chris' brother pimped out with all sorts of bling, rocking his Xbox while ignoring the sound of someone beating the shit out of Chris' car outside.

Paul A J Lewis
01-26-2007, 06:33 PM
I'm picturing Chris' brother pimped out with all sorts of bling, rocking his Xbox while ignoring the sound of someone beating the shit out of Chris' car outside.
Do you think we've found the cause of Chris' car problems?

Kristian R
01-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Do you think we've found the cause of Chris' car problems?

BINGO!

Jennifer S.
01-26-2007, 07:11 PM
Tonight a theater is playing a Chuck Norris Double Feature of Invasion U.S.A. and Missing In Action 2:The Beginning for $8. I've never seen either film unedited from tv before and never seen them from beginning too end. And needing to unwind after a busy week,full of drama and shit. A nice one man army ass kicking action double header(in stereo and mono!) is just what I need:D

Ian Jane
01-26-2007, 07:16 PM
Holy shit? Stereo and mono! What are you doing here!

GO GET IN LINE! (For real. I'd go).

Randy Thomas G
01-26-2007, 07:19 PM
I hope this doesn't come across as racist, but what is a white kid doing with so many gold chains? :p

Alex D
01-26-2007, 07:22 PM
Fuck eBay. Embrace Chuck!

Paul A J Lewis
01-27-2007, 10:16 AM
Did you go see the movies, Chris? Did you go?

Tell us... Tell us...

(More importantly: did you learn any moves off Chuck?)

Your brother didn't buy all the gold chains in preparation for this video, did he?:
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PPjQlkkhDcI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PPjQlkkhDcI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Gary Banks
01-27-2007, 12:31 PM
You can probably get a better brother on ebay.