PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Alcoholic Beverages

Aaron G
01-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Coopers Pale Ale
Single Malt Whiskey
Bailey's on ICE
..and umm..Merlot with a sexy lady as I end up bonking her 9 times out of 10 in this situation.

Kristian R
01-25-2007, 10:30 PM
Gin and tonic is some of the best stuff you can ever put in a glass with ice.

Kristian R
01-25-2007, 11:09 PM
I've always wanted to try me some gin and tonic.

Good man. And don't forget a fresh wedge of lime.

Alyss N.
01-25-2007, 11:34 PM
I mostly drink margaritas.

Randy Thomas G
01-25-2007, 11:54 PM
A Rusty Nail is so toxic I love it.

William R.
01-26-2007, 01:46 AM
I love tequila and scotch. When I'm with the friends, I find I drink more than my fare share of cognac. I don't care for gin and I could give or take vodka.

I don't really do the whole on the rocks thing. Really the only thing I drink with ice is the mixed drink Caipirinha.

Black Haus is best served ice cold.

I'm not big on Wine at all. I could give less of a shit if it's Boone's Farm or some expensive Sauvignon Blanc. I never got the fever.

I hate Jager.

Irish Car Bombs are good.

My advice to you is to go to bars and just try everything. Become a seasoned alcoholic. You've started late in life, but with a little drive and some luck you could catch up to most people your age by the time you're 25.

Kristian R
01-26-2007, 01:52 AM
I hate Jager.

mmmmm... deer blood... I'm thirsty now.

Howard Farmer
01-26-2007, 02:25 AM
Not drinking now but...

My taste in beer used to change every few years, most recently I preferred Mexican or Japanese beers.
It was European imports through most of my 20's.

Vodka was for mixing or on the rocks but I never had a favorite.

Straight up, it had to be Tequila. Good tequila. No Cuervo Gold or Sauza swill. Top shelf only.

Wine, indifferent, whatever the chick liked...
Never took pleasure from champagne. Not sure why it exists. Yeach... :)

Tom K
01-26-2007, 03:14 AM
Busch Light
PBR

Jagermeister

Paul A J Lewis
01-26-2007, 06:24 AM
My choice:
Brandy (especially apple brandy, such as Calvados): I've always got a bottle of Soberano in the house, thanks to my uncle who got me hooked on the stuff
Whisky (preferably a single-malt)
Grand Marnier (didn't Richard Manuel of The Band drink a dozen bottles a day at one point?)
Guinness (or any other stout will do)
I'm also partial to decent cider or scrumpy

These days, I rarely drink, however. I can't stand wines: they react very badly with me.

Lars Andersen
01-26-2007, 06:29 AM
On the rocks it's a goood whiskey for me. I also enjoy beer and Fernet Branca combined for instant drunkness.

Michael Greenwood
01-26-2007, 08:38 AM
It's tough to beat a Guinness.
And I like the see-through liquors, if I must. Gin and tonic or orange juice. Sublime stuff. Good tequila to sip with a beer chaser. Mmmm.

Jason S
01-26-2007, 09:08 AM
Vodka lemon martinis

Vodka n Red Bull

Vodka with orange and cranberry juice

Beers- Heinkein, Fat Tire(although I am loosing my taste for it)

And I would suggest merlot with a foxy lady. If you lack one of those it also goes well with painkillers.

Christoffer S
01-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Just as a drink I go with White russians
for shots I usually go with Ouzo or similar
on ice I go with Baccardis flavoured beverages or Vodka with any kind of fruit juice mixed in really

as for beers I prefer most lagers that arent to bitter in the taste.

Jeremy Wallace
01-26-2007, 11:59 AM
Skull Splitters

Dark Island

Wee Heavy

Michael Collins on the rocks.

Alex D
01-26-2007, 12:05 PM
I've developed a taste for rum. Mix coconut flavored rum (Malibu, for example) with orange juice

John G.
01-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Now we're talking... Let's start off at the weaker end of the spectrum before we make our way to the heavy stuff.

First off, I'm going to eliminate both extremes... I hate so-called "girly drinks," and that includes flavored martinis (or any martinis really... was never big into them), fruit-flavored impossibly sweet stuff, ugh... I hate em. This also includes those lame Mike's Hard Lemonade garbage drinks that taste nasty and kill my stomach... the general rule of thumb is that mix drinks should never have more than three ingredients in them, four tops. On the other end of the spectrum, I can't stand the stuff that's so strong that it feels like your throat is going to erupt in flames, i.e. 151 or anything of the like. Once liquor gets too strong, there just isn't any pleasure in drinking it. Sorry, but sippin' on gasoline does nothing for me.

OK, with those out of the way, now onto the good stuff.

BEERS

For the "major" generic stuff, I enjoy some Heineken, Amstel (not light, but you can never find it like that here in the states) and Becks. Can't stand your Buds or your Millers. Coors Light is OK if there are no other choices. I also dig PBR. Blue Moon is also pretty good, but it really needs to be served with that orange.

Moving onto more thicker stuff, I got into Guiness in a really big way (Bass, the English equivalent, much less so, but it's alright). The other Irish ale that I enjoy is Smithwicks, which is tasty. For the lesser known stuff, I'll likely risk trying anything labelled a cream ale. Rounding out the imports are Spaten from Germany (very nice!) and Tetley's from England. There are probably some more, but these are my favorites.

OK, moving right along are your vodkas. It has to really be high end stuff, otherwise it tastes like it was filtered through a dirty sock (i.e. it tastes like ouzo). Grey Goose is probably the penultimate vodka. I rarely drink it straight up, and more likely I'll mix it with cranbery or orange juice, but I rarely do this combination anymore... this stuff is mostly for beginners.

Whiskey, now we're talking. Unlike vodka, I can enjoy this by itself, but more likely I'll have myself a Jack and Coke. Whiskey is something awesome.

Other mixed concoctions I've been known to sip on... Rum and Coke, very nice. Gin and Tonic, less so... not bad, just not really my thing. White Russians... awesome! The perfect after-dinner drink (either that or Bayley's on the rocks). On the flipside, Bloody Mary's are also pretty nice.

So yeah... I like drinking.

jeff henry
01-26-2007, 01:35 PM
I'm sporatic... lately i've been drinking stouts & porters - it's a winter thing, i guess. I recently had a Flying Dog Scotish Porter and fell in love with it - unfortunately most local bars don't carry it. Guinness is a mighty fine beer - and it's kind of considerred a lite beer since it doesn't have as many calories as other dark brews (if you're worried about that sort of thing... chances are you're not - or shouldn't be...)

As far as liquor is concerned - it's Jameson (an Irish whiskey) on the rocks for me.

Troy Howarth
01-26-2007, 01:46 PM
I keep away from the liquor these days - let's say I enjoy it a little too much - but in the beer department I can handle everything from Coors Lite (the only lite beer I can handle, really) to crappier brews like PBR. I tend to drink Miller High Life and Yuengling (in its various incarnations) the most, but every now and again, when the opportunity presents itself, I like to get an import of some kind.

John G.
01-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Oooh, I forgot wine... there's a time and a place for everything, and that goes for wine as well. First off, I hate white wine. I can't stand it... it's on the same level of suckitude as champagne. Absolutely gross. Now red wine is awesome... it's great with fancy meals, and it's very great for a romantic get together with the opposite sex. There's nothing more arousing that sitting back and getting drunk together on a large bottle of wine, and wherever that leads to. It's a trick that I have employed often, and it gets the trick done. It's a fancy-pancy way of saying "let's get drunk and fool around."

Wine from Greece is also pretty awesome, or more specifically Crete. At outdoor gatherings, each table is well supplied with a bottle of wine (it's not quite red, and it's not quite white... I always just saw it as Cretan wine... whatever it is it's amazing), and the combination of loud traditional Greek Cretan music, people dancing, and plentiful wine has made for some great experiences.

So yeah... hooray wine!

Oh yes, some more beers I forgot the first time... Yuengling (awesome) and Sam Adams.

Christoffer S
01-26-2007, 02:22 PM
Wine is pretty much the only alcoholic beverage I never drink. It just doesnt taste good to me.

Jeremy Wallace
01-26-2007, 03:14 PM
I also can not handle wine. It is icky.

Randy Thomas G
01-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Like everything wine is an aquired taste, I have two brothers who work in the wine industry so there is always a lot of wine available at family gatherings and I agree with John that it goes well with a good meal.

Scott Ruhl
01-26-2007, 03:32 PM
Beers - I don't drink domestic bottled or canned beer and prefer to mainly stick to micro-brews, ales and lagers; from tap or growlers. Golden and Red Ale is my favorite and generally like to to do a pint of half & half. On the flip side I also like a nice dessert stout with a high abv usually 12-15%. Currently I'm half into a growler of Brown Ale 7% abv, which coupled with a traditional stout makes a real nice black & tan.

Liquor - Congac on the rocks or with a splash of water is my preferred drink. I'm pretty felxible when it comes to brand but like the higher-end stuff more.
I'm also partial to Baileys, Kahlua and Hypnotiq.

Shots - PatrĂ³n Tequila, Silver. That's about all I will do. (Sometimes J&B. :) )

Wine - Red. Tawny or Ruby Ports are my favorite but I also like a good Merlot. White is for cooking. Wine gives me my favorite liquor buzz compared to beer or hard liquor. I've never been sick from drinking wine.

When the season's right I drink a shitload of Woodchuck Cider.

edited to add: I love liquor.

http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/5286/2356/1600/304769/cheese2.jpg http://www.flossmoorstation.com/images/cheersanimate.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/theburden/02768a.jpg

Chuk H
01-26-2007, 05:19 PM
Wine is best with food...especially properly paired with the right foods.

Educate yourself about wine. Learn the basic types of grapes, regions your favorite wines come from and most important, how to pair the right wines with the right foods and I can guarantee you will impress the ladies.

Ian Jane
01-26-2007, 05:36 PM
Just as a drink I go with White russians
for shots I usually go with Ouzo or similar
on ice I go with Baccardis flavoured beverages or Vodka with any kind of fruit juice mixed in really

Der Swede is a girl drink drunk.

I more or less live off of the following:

Domestic Beer: PBR is cheap and tasty but failing that I can rock the Highlife which is also cheap but not all that tasty. If you're in Canada, drink Molson Export or Labbatt's 50. They're old man beers, but that doesn't matter and it'll put hair on your chest.

Real Beer: Bridgeport IPA, MacTarnahan's Amber, Dogfish IPA, Rogue Dead Guy, Arrogant Bastard - not see easy to find outside the Pacific Northwest/Cali area maybe, but worth looking for.

Bourbon - Maker's Mark is all you need.

Scotch - Laphrioge or Speyburn are great. Speyburn isn't quite as good, but it is considerably more affordable, not as peaty but still tasty.

I don't do mixed drinks so often, I usually like my whiskey/bourbon/scotch straight up but I will do gin and tonic if you're buying.

Ian Jane
01-26-2007, 05:37 PM
Wine is best with food...especially properly paired with the right foods.

Educate yourself about wine. Learn the basic types of grapes, regions your favorite wines come from and most important, how to pair the right wines with the right foods and I can guarantee you will impress the ladies.

This is also very true. Wine will get you laid.

Christoffer S
01-26-2007, 05:59 PM
Der Swede is a girl drink drunk.

I could still kick your ass, so shut your piehole Canadian! :D

Michael Greenwood
01-26-2007, 06:00 PM
Merle Haggard endorsed George Dickel so that's what I drank when I went to Jayne Mansfield's grave five years ago or whenever it was.

Noland B.
01-26-2007, 06:10 PM
And I'll attest that Ian will drink pretty much whatever you buy him, even a Chocolate Choo-Choo.

My recommendations:

Sparks - especially Sparks Plus.
Red Bull & Jager (what I have forever termed as a "testiculator")
Red Bull & cherry vodka ("cherry bomb")
Red Bull & mandarin vodka ("touchdown")
Jello shots
Blue hawaiians
Pink squirrels
Guinness
Strongbow (or equally competent) cider
Lagunitas - anything they make
Anchor Steam - again, anything they make
PBR
Chimay
regular Amstel
Kilkenny
Anything I can find at <a href="http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp?PlaceID=475">John's Market.</a>
Single-malt, highland scotch
Booker's bourbon
Fonseca port
Bushmill's whisky
Ketel One, Belvedere, or Grey Goose vodka
Melon Ball Boone's Farm or Kiwi Lime Mad Dog 20/20

Scott Ruhl
01-26-2007, 06:10 PM
I could still kick your ass, so shut your piehole Canadian! :D

You better be careful Ian Jane is a tall-ass monster, you'd prolly only come up to his taint. Best let Troy handle this one.

Scott Ruhl
01-26-2007, 06:12 PM
Red Bull & Jager (what I have forever termed as a "testiculator")
Red Bull & cherry vodka ("cherry bomb")
Red Bull & mandarin vodka ("touchdown")

My favorite has always been Red Bull and Citron.

Noland B.
01-26-2007, 06:14 PM
My favorite has always been Red Bull and Citron.

That sounds yummy, too. But, most importantly, does it have a name? Recognition, boy - that's what we're after with these!

Ian Jane
01-26-2007, 06:14 PM
You better be careful Ian Jane is a tall-ass monster, you'd prolly only come up to his taint. Best let Troy handle this one.

I'd just feed the Swede one of these and it'd be all over.

http://dala.de/cards/dala/drink01n.jpg

Xavier West
01-26-2007, 07:05 PM
Nobodies mentioned Absinthe or else I've missed it. Terribly hip at the moment I know but it's a genuinely fine beverage in it's own right and it never fails to make me feel like a French Symbolist Poet- just like a good shot of J&B never fails to make me feel like George Hilton...

The only problem is that good absinthe is damnably difficult to come across. Mostly all you see are those goddamned Chezch Bohemian concoctions. If another person tells me that they like Absinth for the fire ritual then I'll club them like a baby seal. Sacriliege. Only uneducated swine set their Absinthe on fire.

Very into cocktails at the moment. Like Bond I like 'em very strong, very good and very well made. In fact Bond's Vesper is an excellent drink and a favorite at the moment. Again though, the Lillet Blanc is hard to come by around these parts.

I really need a good liquor store. I have a drink supermarket not too far away that's good and cheap but where does a man go when he requires a more refined drink? Is there anywhere online that won't gouge me on shipping.

William R.
01-26-2007, 07:29 PM
This is also very true. Wine will get you laid.

Too much of any liquor will have that desired effect if that's your intention. Vodka is a big liberator of inhibitions.

Brian Christman
01-26-2007, 08:13 PM
Nobodies mentioned Absinthe or else I've missed it. Terribly hip at the moment I know but it's a genuinely fine beverage in it's own right and it never fails to make me feel like a French Symbolist Poet- just like a good shot of J&B never fails to make me feel like George Hilton...

The only problem is that good absinthe is damnably difficult to come across. Mostly all you see are those goddamned Chezch Bohemian concoctions. If another person tells me that they like Absinth for the fire ritual then I'll club them like a baby seal. Sacriliege. Only uneducated swine set their Absinthe on fire.

Very into cocktails at the moment. Like Bond I like 'em very strong, very good and very well made. In fact Bond's Vesper is an excellent drink and a favorite at the moment. Again though, the Lillet Blanc is hard to come by around these parts.

I really need a good liquor store. I have a drink supermarket not too far away that's good and cheap but where does a man go when he requires a more refined drink? Is there anywhere online that won't gouge me on shipping.

I agree, it's hard to find a good absinthe without paying an arm and a leg. And that Czech mouthwash is hideous, let alone the trendy BS surrounding the drink in general. Here's two good online sources, though shipping rules vary from country to country:

http://www.absintheonline.com/
http://www.absinthvertrieb.de/en/

I used to drink a lot of gin, but started to discover it could make be turn into a real mean asshole (not sure if that is a result of just the quantity or the gin itself).

Right now I'm enjoying Vodka and Tonics, and the occasional sipping Tequila. Cielo is a current favorite.

Jonny Redman
01-26-2007, 09:48 PM
I haven't drunk anything alcoholic this past year or so apart from white wine and gin.

Chuk H
01-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Bourbon - Maker's Mark is all you need.

Well, I have to beg to differ.

Maker's is almost always a good choice and you can find it almost everywhere but there's many a good bourbon out there.

A recent "discovery" of ours is Bulleit Bourbon "Frontier Whisky". The recipe includes 30% rye in the mash, unusual for this day and age giving it a more turn of the century appeal. It's an excellent whiskey for the money and I'd say the taste rivials Woodford Reserve and possibly surpasses Maker's.

Here's a review:

http://www.alcoholreviews.com/SPIRITS/bourbons-evan-bulleit.shtml

Other ( American ) whiskys I like:

Evan Williams ( it's in my hot sauce!)
Maker's
knob creek
Bookers
Woodford reserve
Dickel
Weller's 10 year reserve
Old Overholt Rye

two I consider rotgut:

Jim Beam
Jack Danniels

cheers!

Chuk H
01-28-2007, 03:33 PM
Too much of any liquor will have that desired effect if that's your intention. Vodka is a big liberator of inhibitions.

Ian was referring to my post where I was implying that having wine knowledge might get you laid.

William R.
01-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Ian was referring to my post where I was implying that having wine knowledge might get you laid.

I know, it was Ian's wording that made me respond that way. It reminded me of all the quips we'd make to kids who'd come up to the counter with a bottle of Boone's Farm Wine. "Hot date tonight, huh buddy?"

jeff henry
01-29-2007, 01:07 PM
Something else i failed to bring up in my last alcohol-soaked post. I've been partaking in Mead lately - Bunratty makes a fine mead. It's sweet (a given since it's made with honey - so if you don't like sweet then find something else). But it's a fine drink to consume on chilly sunday afternoons (like yesterday...).

Patrick B.
01-29-2007, 03:56 PM
Vodka n Red Bull

Straight up vodka and flush it down with beer

Jack Daniels

Tuborg