PDA

View Full Version : Graphic Designers?

mark t
01-25-2007, 04:20 PM
I got roped into doing a graphic design project for the school board...simple enough, take some of these original posters, manipulate them and change them up a bit, integrate some new photographs...the problem is two fold.

What kind of file has a .q or .q report extension?

What are the advantages of .eps over .jpg? Anything that will be noticed on an 11X17 poster?

Thanks in advance!

Matt A
01-25-2007, 04:40 PM
My first guess is that the ".q" files are Quark with a wonky extension. Copy the file and add a ".qxd" to see if it is indeed a Quark file.

With an eps file you are most likely going to see line art with flat colors and your jpgs would be photos. Make sure that the jpgs are high resolution because you may have a file that was created for web viewing. They may look okay on screen but will print fuzzy or jagged. If you have an eps and a jpg of the same file I would assume that the eps would be the way to go.

John S
01-25-2007, 04:54 PM
Does this help: http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=Q

Fred Adelman
01-25-2007, 05:01 PM
My first guess is that the ".q" files are Quark with a wonky extension. Copy the file and add a ".qxd" to see if it is indeed a Quark file.

With an eps file you are most likely going to see line art with flat colors and your jpgs would be photos. Make sure that the jpgs are high resolution because you may have a file that was created for web viewing. They may look okay on screen but will print fuzzy or jagged. If you have an eps and a jpg of the same file I would assume that the eps would be the way to go.

What Toyboy said. I produce all my jpegs at 100dpi for the web (to save disk space on my web site). They look nice to the naked eye but reproduce lousy when printed. That's why if anyone wants a reproduceable piece of art they see on my site, I will email them a 300 - 600 dpi scan of the artwork. That will print out nicely even though it could be way over 5mb in size. EPS files are great for line art because no matter how big you make them (within reason, of course), the lines will always come out straight and not jagged. Wmf files do the same thing although they're not used that much now.