PDA

View Full Version : BLUE OYSTER CULT reissue news

Horace Cordier
01-24-2007, 09:18 PM
It looks like "Some Enchanted Evening" and "Spectres" are arriving on Febuary 13th in remastered/expanded editions. The "Evening" set looks especially nice. A 70's concert dvd and a really pumped up tracklisting on the cd (I love the album but always thought it was too short - now its not). I'll be ordering both of these through Amazon (using the dvdmaniacs link, of course!) and saving a bit on both titles.

Play.com has the following tracklisting...

"Some Enchanted Evening" (CD & DVD)

Disc 1 (CD)

R.U. Ready 2 Rock
E.T.I. (Extra Terrestrial Intelligence)
Astronomy
Kick Out The Jams
Godzilla
(Don't Fear) The Reaper
We Gotta Get Out Of This Place

Bonus Tracks:
ME 262
Harvester Of Eyes
Hot Rails To Hell
(This Ain't The) Summer Of Love
5 Guitars
Born To Be Wild
We Gotta Get Out Of This Place (Alternative Version)

Disc 2 (DVD, Previously Unreleased)

R. U. Ready To Rock
ETI (Extra Terrestrial Intelligence)
Harvester Of Eyes
We Gotta Get Out Of This Place
Golden Age Of Leather
Astronomy
ME 262 8. Kick Out The Jams
(This Ain't The) Summer Of Love
5 Guitars
Born To Be Wild

"Spectres"

Godzilla
Golden Age Of Leather
Death Valley Nights
Searchin' For Celine
Fireworks
R. U. Ready 2 Rock
Celestial The Queen
Goin' Through The Motions
I Love The Night
Nosferatu
Bonus Tracks:
Night Flyer (Previously Unreleased)
Dial M For Murder (Previously Unreleased)
Please Hold (Previously Unreleased)
Be My Baby (Previously Unreleased)

John G.
01-24-2007, 09:27 PM
Very cool stuff. I'm very interested in the bonus tracks for Spectres. From what I remember, Night Flyer is another vampire song, or perhaps it's a longer version of I Love the Night with that rumored extra verse. They really had a thing for vampires on this album didn't they? Dial M For Murder sounds intriguing, hopefully it will be a found gem like the first run-through of Fire of Unknown Origin off of the Agents of Fortune reissue.

There's another new BOC release called ALIVE IN AMERICA PT 1. Anyone here get it yet? Here's the setlist...

Dr. Music
Burnin' for You
Fire of Unknown Origin
Joan Crawford
Veteran of the Psychic Wars
Hot Rails to Hell
Me 262
Don't Fear the Reaper
Godzilla
Born to be Wild
5 Guitars
Roadhouse Blues [Doors cover]

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/11970000/11973487.gif

Horace Cordier
01-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Very cool stuff. I'm very interested in the bonus tracks for Spectres. From what I remember, Night Flyer is another vampire song, or perhaps it's a longer version of I Love the Night with that rumored extra verse. They really had a thing for vampires on this album didn't they? Dial M For Murder sounds intriguing, hopefully it will be a found gem like the first run-through of Fire of Unknown Origin off of the Agents of Fortune reissue.

There's another new BOC release called ALIVE IN AMERICA PT 1. Anyone here get it yet? Here's the setlist...

Dr. Music
Burnin' for You
Fire of Unknown Origin
Joan Crawford
Veteran of the Psychic Wars
Hot Rails to Hell
Me 262
Don't Fear the Reaper
Godzilla
Born to be Wild
5 Guitars
Roadhouse Blues [Doors cover]

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/11970000/11973487.gif

Yeah, thats a reissue of the first cd of a 2cd set that came out in Europe a few years ago called "Tales Of The Psychic Wars". I have it around here somewhere but need to go hunting.

The first cd is from NYC 1981 and the second one (which hasn't been re-released yet) is from Pasadena 1983.

Rough boot-level audio, but it is a soundboard if I remember right and well worth the time for a BOC fan.

David Huber
01-25-2007, 09:47 AM
: drroool :
I'm preordering as we speak....

Chuk H
01-25-2007, 01:18 PM
Excellent news! I am very eager to see that 70s era concert!

Thanks for posting this, Horace!

John G.
01-25-2007, 01:27 PM
A shame that they skipped over ON YOUR FEET OR ON YOU KNEES... it would have been really cool to hear some more live performances from that era. Also, I wonder how far this reissue campaign is going to stretch forward to... the next albums would be MIRRORS (never a fan favorite) and CULTOSAURUS ERECTUS (a more obscure offering, no obvious hit singles). Can anyone see them getting to IMAGINOS eventually... I would be most interested to hear songs that never made the cut for that phenomenal concept album.

David Huber
01-25-2007, 02:01 PM
I would love to see a CULTOSAURUS ERECTUS reissue; that's the album BOC toured on during the Black and Blue tour (speaking of which, the BLACK AND BLUE movie was supposed to come out on DVD via Ventura a few years ago, but I guess that's dead. It probably wouldn't have looked much better than my boot anyways).

David Huber
02-15-2007, 10:07 AM
I watched the DVD from the Some ENchanted Evening set yesterday, and was pleased to see that it was taken from a 1978 concert at the Capital Centre near D.C. (I saw BOC myself at the Cap Centre on a few occasions, as well as a jillion other big arena shows back in the day; the Cap Centre parking lot was also the setting for the classic short 'Heavy Metal Parking Lot'). The Cap Centre is no longer there; now it's a shopping centre that's about 1 minute away from me as I'm typing this from work. Alot of shows were bootlegged from the Cap Centre because they were one of the first arenas with a video screen, so every concert had a pro-shot tape that occasionally made it's way into bootleg form. I have a boot of a BOC show from 1976 that I think eventually had a semi-legit DVD release 5 or 6 years ago, and it was really nice seeing most of this 1978 show (a number of songs are missing, including the ubiquitous 'Godzilla' and 'Don't Fear the Reaper). Highlights for me were seeing 'Golden Age of Leather' live, as well as the '5 Guitar' segment that starts out with a really nice bass solo. I'm looking forward to checking out the audio CD, as well as the remastered 'Spectres'. I'm just glad Amazon got them to me in the middle of the ice storm we've had here the last few days.

Horace Cordier
02-16-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm pretty happy with both sets. The dvd is a bit "bootleg quality" but is still better than the "Live '76" thing that came out years ago on Castle Records on dvd and cd.

Eric Bloom was one sinister looking mofo back in BOC's glory days - and the contrast with Buck gave them a great look on stage. I'd love to see "Cultosarus" and "Fire Of Unknown Origin" get the deluxe treatment too. It might actually happen with "Fire..." since that one was a big seller with a hit single ("Burnin' For You").

John G.
02-16-2007, 04:39 PM
The Brain Surgeons need to get cracking on Imaginos 2. Two Oyster Cult have all but disowned the record.

Chuk H
02-16-2007, 11:12 PM
The Brain Surgeons need to get cracking on Imaginos 2. Two Oyster Cult have all but disowned the record.

That would be really exciting.

Travis Sheldon
02-17-2007, 12:03 AM
I'd love to hear anything new from The Brain Surgeons w/Ross The Boss!
But they are on hiatus currently, I believe.

John G.
02-20-2007, 07:49 AM
The SOME ENCHANTED EVENING set really is a thing of beauty... a nice double-sized digipak with a booklet of liner notes, some fantastic pictures... really gorgeous.

I'm so glad BOC are finally getting the treatment they deserve on disc. Here's to the next two reissues, the underrated MIRRORS (yes, I actually like this album) and the balls to the wall CULTOSAURUS ERECTUS.

David Huber
02-20-2007, 04:55 PM
I'm not usually a stickler for sound quality, but I thought for a 'remastered' version the new Spectres sounded pretty muddy and flat. The extra tracks are pretty good, though, and it was nice to hear the album again (I actually hadn't owned Spectres since the mid-80s and was one of the few Cult's I never bought on CD). Still not my favorite or anything, though.

Some Enchanted Evening is a really nice set, as John said.