PDA

View Full Version : Talking Heads - Your Favorite Album

Edwin Samuelson
01-24-2007, 12:54 PM
I've been listening the my newly remastered "Brick" of all of the Talking Heads and have been really enjoying the my trip down memory lane. I forgot how great the Talking Heads were. From '77 to Little Creatures I don't think anyone else had such an original sound. It's real hard for me to choose my favorite album by the group, but it would defianlty be between the very underrated live album "The Name of this Band is Talking Heads" (which is unfairly overshadowed by "Stop Making Sense") and "More Songs About Food and Buildings".

http://www.amazon.com/Talking-Heads-Brick/dp/B000B5XSK8/sr=8-6/qid=1169657727/ref=pd_bbs_sr_6/104-8875484-6244742?ie=UTF8&s=music/-dvdmannet-20

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000B5XSK8.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1130122332_.jpg

Don Guarisco
01-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Great minds think alike, Eddie... ;)

http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10670

It'll be interesting to see if the voting changes any. My vote remains with FEAR OF MUSIC, for the reasons described in the above thread.

Matt A
01-24-2007, 01:09 PM
Fear of Music - Grew up with this album on 8-track and my favorite cuts are "Animals", "Drugs", and "Memories Can't Wait". The whole album is great.

2 - Speaking in Tongues
3 - More Songs About Buildings and Food

John G.
01-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Remain in Light is my favorite, followed by the debut.

Wayne Schmidt
01-24-2007, 01:50 PM
Remain in Light. I got the remixed DVD-Audio version awhile back, which sounds amazing. Haven't seen that brick before. Are they all remastered standard CDs?

Edwin Samuelson
01-24-2007, 02:11 PM
How about about of couple of your favorite songs? Mine in no particular order:

Pulled Up
Who Is It?
The Book I Read
I Zimbra
Cities
Life During Wartime
New Feeling
Mind
Artists Only

Edwin Samuelson
01-24-2007, 02:14 PM
Remain in Light. I got the remixed DVD-Audio version awhile back, which sounds amazing. Haven't seen that brick before. Are they all remastered standard CDs?

All re-mastered with Bonus tracks and DVD-Audio and videos on the flipside. The Brick is the best deal around as you can see by the link above (Support DVD Maniacs! :) ), it's a lot cheaper than buying all of the albums.

I really like '77, but I think the production isn't all it could be. If you listen to The Name of this Band..... you'll see how much the live cuts kill the ones on the finished album.

Aaron M.
01-24-2007, 02:15 PM
1. Remain In Light- I used to just love the first 3 amazing songs (and a few near the end), but the rest really catch up after many listenings. The Great Curve is simply amazing, and never mentioned.

2. Fear of Music- Used to be my favorite,still very close. The Heads at their most parnoid and druggy sounding (the ol Eno influence). Mind, Cities, Animals..hell just about the whole thing is great.

3. More Songs About Building And Food- This used to be my LEAST favorite, and there are still some weak tunes on it. But there's awesome stuff like With Our Love, Good Thing, and especially Get A Job.

Matt A
01-24-2007, 02:15 PM
This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)
Drugs
Slippery People
Memories Can't Wait
Found a Job
I Get Wild/Wild Gravity
Animals
Cities

Matt A
01-24-2007, 02:18 PM
Oh, and...

Stay Up Late
Papa Legba*
Psycho Killer (live)

*Looks like I'll have to buy the rerelease True Stories CD since it has the Pops Staples version..."In the nigheeet, in the nigheeeet, come an' ride your horse!"

Gary Banks
01-24-2007, 05:20 PM
Although I played the hell out of Stop Making Sense back in the day Little Creatures gets my nod.

Edwin Samuelson
01-24-2007, 05:35 PM
Although I played the hell out of Stop Making Sense back in the day Little Creatures gets my nod.

Some people think that Little Creatures is where The Heads lost it. I like they tried to make a basic rock album and She Was is a great song.

Josh S
01-24-2007, 05:49 PM
Are Talking Heads the group that had the video where a bunch of random people were standing on stage (maybe a karoke bar?) signing the song?

Jon Rollins
01-24-2007, 05:52 PM
Remain in Light.

Matt A
01-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Are Talking Heads the group that had the video where a bunch of random people were standing on stage (maybe a karoke bar?) signing the song?

That was the "Wild Wild Life" video and it was a snippet from the movie TRUE STORIES. Tito "Hammy" Larriva is in it.

Josh S
01-24-2007, 05:56 PM
Thank you, good sir. I think I'll partake in some Talking Heads CD purchasing this weekend.

Mike Brown
01-24-2007, 06:06 PM
Can I pick "My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts"?

Chad Haden
01-24-2007, 06:35 PM
I went with "More Songs", I just dig the hell out of it

Edwin Samuelson
01-24-2007, 06:41 PM

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WE9SQFVrSPc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WE9SQFVrSPc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Edwin Samuelson
01-24-2007, 06:43 PM
Thank you, good sir. I think I'll partake in some Talking Heads CD purchasing this weekend.

If you grab any, be sure to get the remasters. They might cost a little more, but the remastering is amazing. If you look on Amazon, you can find some decent prices. I would start off with The Name of this Band is Talking Heads as it's a great way to sample their catalog with wasting it on the greatest hits because you might end up buying the extact songs all over again.

Matt A
01-24-2007, 06:49 PM
Can I pick "My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts"?

That's a great album but I keep it with my Brian Eno CDs.

:) Dowhatchalike.

Edwin Samuelson
01-24-2007, 06:56 PM
That's a great album but I keep it with my Brian Eno CDs.

:) Dowhatchalike.

How about least favorite song and album? Mine's Naked and the lead track sucks and it gets justs worse from there. It's a very disappointing ending to a great band.

Matt A
01-24-2007, 07:08 PM
How about least favorite song and album? Mine's Naked and the lead track sucks and it gets justs worse from there. It's a very disappointing ending to a great band.

I thought "Blind", "Mr. Jones" and "Flowers(Nothing But)" were decent enough, but yeah, that album was disappointing overall.

Edwin Samuelson
01-24-2007, 07:11 PM
I thought "Blind", "Mr. Jones" and "Flowers(Nothing But)" were decent enough, but yeah, that album was disappointing overall.

It just didn't feel like a Talking Heads album. It felt more like a solo record from Byrne. Did you know Byrne came up with all the vocals and lyrics after the recording in Paris?

By the way, check out these videos below as I think you'll get a kick of them. A semi-reunion by the band:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F0kTUg0RrOw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F0kTUg0RrOw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lLPWkIDWXSs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lLPWkIDWXSs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Aaron G
01-24-2007, 07:51 PM
The DVD-audio discs are fantastic..My face is FEAR of MUSIC then MORE SONGS..fave songs CROSS EYED AND PAINLESS, ONCE IN A LIFETIME, HEAVEN, FOUND A JOB, I ZIMBRA.

I had a sublime moment last year when I saw James Murphy from DFA records, his set was pretty so-so, then my E kicked in as he dropped Talking Heads 'I ZIMBRA'!

Edwin Samuelson
01-25-2007, 12:38 AM
The DVD-audio discs are fantastic..My face is FEAR of MUSIC then MORE SONGS..fave songs CROSS EYED AND PAINLESS, ONCE IN A LIFETIME, HEAVEN, FOUND A JOB, I ZIMBRA.

I had a sublime moment last year when I saw James Murphy from DFA records, his set was pretty so-so, then my E kicked in as he dropped Talking Heads 'I ZIMBRA'!

Did you know Gene Wilder played Congas on I Zimbra? Yes, Gene Wilder!

Aaron G
01-25-2007, 12:50 AM
Musta had the same coke dealers!

Aleck Bennett
01-25-2007, 01:32 AM
You know, I readily admit that it's not their best album, but I have to say that I still really like NAKED. It's remarkably warm for a Heads album (much like LITTLE CREATURES), and while it's not groundbreaking in any way, contains its share of inviting, witty and catchy songs. I'd still pick it to listen to over TRUE STORIES (despite the presence of "Papa Legba" and "Puzzling Evidence" on the latter, both for my own personal sorta-religious reasons more than anything else).

Kristian R
01-25-2007, 01:59 AM
I'm lame. I don't think I have ever heard a whole Talking Heads studio album. I love the Sand In The Vaseline anthology and have always intended to check out their albums but have never gotten around to it. :(