PDA

View Full Version : Looking through my father's LP's

Bård Haugland
01-20-2007, 08:06 PM
I'm for once home, so I sat down, and looked through my dads collection of LP's. Earlier on, I was almost exclusively into metal, but now the last month or so, I've been checking out much other music, and in the collection, I found many great albums. Amongst them Dark Side of the Moon, Led Zeppelin I and IV, The Wall, Paranoid, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, tons of old hard rock/heavy/prog. Currently listening to Dark Side of the Moon, aah, there ain't much that's better than just lying back, enjoying a cold coke, and listening to some great music on vinyl. I feel nostalgic, even though I wasn't born at the time most LP's were produced.

Wayne Schmidt
01-20-2007, 08:56 PM
You don't know how old that makes me feel . . . . . :o

mark t
01-20-2007, 09:00 PM
I'm gonna guess that we're about the same age, Bard....I got all of those albums from MY dad's record collection too. Sorry, Wayne!

Conner H
01-20-2007, 10:36 PM
My dad's record collection is the same way, Bard... Blue Cheer, Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Floyd, The Who, Bloodrock, Yes, Trapeze, Zeppelin, etc...

Mike Howlett
01-20-2007, 10:40 PM
My dad's record collection is the same way, Bard... Blue Cheer, Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Floyd, The Who, Bloodrock, Yes, Trapeze, Zeppelin, etc...

I just might be your dad!

John G.
01-20-2007, 10:51 PM
My dad listens to traditional Greek music, so I do not know such joys... it's probably one of the reasons I was relatively late coming into the music game, but with the sheer collector-obsessed mania that I've been indulging in lately, I've more than made up for lost time.

For me, a similar experience would be browsing the vinyls at my college's radio station... an enlightening experience.

William R.
01-20-2007, 11:20 PM
My old man's record collection consists of a lot of soul music and a shit ton of Curtis Mayfield and Sinatra. My mother's is all bossa nova and tropicália. I love digging in crates at record shops. The Princeton Record Exchange was/is my God. Ask Chilly D. The man knows.

Wayne Schmidt
01-20-2007, 11:39 PM
Well, I take solice that all you young punks enjoy the music I enjoyed in my youth! It means we musta had good taste back then or something. I used to go through my parent's stuff but it was (what's now referred to) as mostly "lounge" music and some big band . . . . they were pretty much B.R. ("before rock").

Alex E.
01-20-2007, 11:49 PM
My dad's LP collection among others, consists of Australian drinking songs, Marliene Dietrich, and Tom Lehr. Mom is Rod Stewart, Elvis, The Beatles. I think she had a few Stones albums too. Guess you could say mom likes to rock.

But the first LP I bought with my own cash was Black Sabbath's Master Of Reality

Damian P
01-21-2007, 01:19 AM
The Princeton Record Exchange was/is my God. Ask Chilly D. The man knows.

William is correct. It's been too long since I have been there.

My pop listened to some cool music. He was a Stones man. I lifted some great records from his collection including; Chico Hamilton's "The Gambler," The Doors' "The Doors," Eric Burdon and The Animals' "The Twain Shall Meet" and "Winds of Change. " I would have took some Stones but his LPs were played to death. He doesn't listen to that stuff much anymore, he's really big on Latin and Brazilian music now.
One of my fondest memories is watching a video for Motorhead's "Ace of Spades" back in the 80's (it was my first exposure to the group). My dad said, "That is a cool fuckin' song. Now...those guys are the real deal." :)

Patrick B.
01-21-2007, 05:06 AM
My dad also has a LP collection like yours, Bård. So when I was young i searched through it, and listened to Dark Side of the Moon, Paranoid and other great stuff. The first band my dad got into was Sabbath, so I think he has alot. But I think most of it are at my grandma's house.

Bård Haugland
01-21-2007, 08:07 AM
I'm gonna guess that we're about the same age, Bard....I got all of those albums from MY dad's record collection too. Sorry, Wayne!

Well, you're about two times as old as me. :p

Patrick: Yeah, Black Sabbath was one of the first bands my dad started making me listen to. That and Queen, Stan Rigdeway, John Hiatt ++. But I think Black Sabbath sparked the interest in heavy metal, and I still love 'em.

Michael Greenwood
01-21-2007, 02:16 PM
My dad is all Waylon and Willie and George Jones and Charlie Rich so I don't complain now but I did when I was all everything but. And then in 1988 I got my own copy of 'Dreaming My Dreams'.

Alyss N.
01-21-2007, 02:19 PM
About 90% of my musical tastes stem from my mom.

Sadly she's not into Twisted Sister. :p

Tom K
01-21-2007, 02:58 PM
My dad never really listened to music...he had some blues albums, but that was it...

My mom was the music person...She was not into anyhting remotely heavy...

I got into all my metal stuff at a young age thanks to my cousins...Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, etc...

Steve Greenfield
01-21-2007, 03:12 PM
I inherited my Dad's record collection which consisted of several thousand country music albums dating from the mid-50s thru the mid-80s. Use not to care for country but after listening to Johnny Cash, George Jones and Merle Haggard I've come to appreciate it.

Jonathan Douglas
01-21-2007, 04:10 PM
Them vinyl days were good days. 1979/80/81/82/83 I guess were banner LP years for me, cycling to the city and buying new releases by Motorhead, Queen, Styx, Kiss, Rainbow, AC/DC, Whitesnake, Tubes, Tull, .38 Special, Maiden, Priest, etc. And if a new issue of Kerrang! had just come out, only made the day better. Old folks weren't much into rock. Magazines, radio and TV, that's where bands were discovered, not much different from today's kids, except now it's mostly the internet (and TV).

Tim Mayer
01-21-2007, 07:17 PM
My kids seem to be into Mallcore and Scream-o, but the younger ones do like The Flaming Tsunamis. The oldest was into J-pop for awhile. As I have said, in my house Goth Metal is "Dad's music".

Andrew S
01-21-2007, 07:27 PM
Well, jeez, my dad's record collection was Roxy Music, Eno, Bryan Ferry, Nico, 801, Lou Reed, David Bowie, Devo, Elvis Costello, Talking Heads, Tom Waits, Van Dyke Parks, Mothers of Invention and The Beach Boys, amongst others. He had an awesome and huge record collection and was once interviewed about it. Unfortunately most of the collection was destroyed in a flood about 15 years ago.

Ray Kanne
03-16-2007, 03:09 PM
My dad also has a LP collection like yours, Bård. So when I was young i searched through it, and listened to Dark Side of the Moon, Paranoid and other great stuff. The first band my dad got into was Sabbath, so I think he has alot. But I think most of it are at my grandma's house.
When you were young? Aren't you still pretty young? ;)

Anyway, like most people here I also have parents with a record collection, and because of their great taste in music I grew up listening to the best in rock and even attended a couple of cool concerts when still in my mothers womb.

Erik Mortil
03-16-2007, 05:45 PM
"Dark side of the moon" has to be listen to from a Vinyl, with ITT speakers and 70' furniture. It's fun to treasure hunt ones parents record collection :)

Jack Criddle
03-16-2007, 06:32 PM
My parents used to have a lot of great records but they got rid of them all when we moved from England to America. I've been collecting for about eight years though. My collection mostly consists of old rock and roll, punk, country, and film soundtracks. Last month, though, this woman who works at a restaurant my dad always goes to gave me a like three crates of of LPs - mostly swing jazz, althogh there were a few soundtracks, some cheesy travel records and am album of old movie theater intermission music.

Lewis G.
03-16-2007, 08:20 PM
Geez, the only record my dad ever owned was a Kenny G one.
Sadly, I'm not joking...

Jonny Redman
03-16-2007, 09:30 PM
I have few of my Dad's LP's... They're pretty much all recordings of radio and TV comedys. Tony Hancock, Beyond The Fringe... Some Beatles and Elvis stuff in there too, a nice copy of the 'White Album' and 'Rubber Soul'...

K August
03-18-2007, 01:43 PM
My dad still likes country and opera (two I cannot listen to to this day), but my older sisters dug a lot of what you uncovered Bard (save for Black Sabbath).

I found metal on my own, thanks to seeing Ted Nugent on tv back when I was far too impressionable. This went on until about 94 when the scene really fell apart.

In the last five years, I've all but moved away from metal. Only daily whirls of Bolt Thrower and the occasional spin of Celtic Frost still cut it these days.
Otherwise, it's Goblin and other soundtrack composers.

It's cool to expand your horizons, so enjoy :)