PDA

View Full Version : Prog Rock Battle: Round 5

Mike Brown
01-19-2007, 01:01 PM
It's starting to get ridiculous, isn't it? :D

Mike Brown
01-19-2007, 01:03 PM
Supertramp. I love's me some Supertramp for sure.

Jonathan Douglas
01-19-2007, 01:12 PM
How amusing, I'm listening to APP right now on my jukebox, so they get my vote. I just like the music better than Supertramp, but it's not really a band of course (APP).

Randy Thomas G
01-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Can't stand Supertramp so this one's easy for me.

Don Guarisco
01-19-2007, 01:27 PM
WARNING: some serious music nerdishness dead ahead. All hipsters should avert their eyes.

Again, I enjoy both - each is a good example of someone applying prog thinking to pop songwriting and the organization of pop songs into an album format.

But I think Supertramp was ultimately more successful to these eyes. APP had some great songs but their album concepts were hit-and-miss (the "nature of women" opus EVE is probably the most unfortunate). Also, the production got too sterile after AMMONIA AVENUE, with an unfortunate emphasis on gated drum sounds and ugly digital synths.

SUPERTRAMP fell prey to some of the same "ugly 80's production" flaws but that's really after the Hodgson/Davies partnership fell apart (and not really Supertramp) to these eyes. Their real era as a band (roughly CRIME OF THE CENTURY through FAMOUS LAST WORDS) is jam-packed with great songs that communicate well to pop listeners while also applying a subtle prog quality to their arrangements - listen to the arrangement of "Lady," probably the best-ever transposing of prog complexity to the pop song format.

John G.
01-19-2007, 01:48 PM
Perhaps Styx vs. Supertramp would have been a better suited matchup.

My vote is for Supertramp... I loved their brand of sophisticated pomp-pop. The first two albums are alright, but indistinguished and cliched by prog standards... the band really came into their own on Crime of the Century with their classic style. They mantained a level of brilliance and consistency up to roughtly Breakfast in America, of course their most popular album with a couple of hit singles that still get played on the radio today. These guys were amazing... a shame they couldn't quite make the transition into the 80s, but then again not a lot of these bands really did.

Gary Banks
01-19-2007, 02:21 PM
I'm listening to The System Of Dr Tarr & Professor Fether so guess who got my vote.

I loved Supertramp especially the Breakfast In America album as it got a lot of play wjile I was in college.

Mike Brown
01-19-2007, 03:00 PM
WARNING: some serious music nerdishness dead ahead. All hipsters should avert their eyes.

If loving Supertramp is wrong, I'm turning in my hipster badge. :D

Hey, I've got one! :mad:

And about APP and the gated drum reverb thing, I thought it was a shame the way they added that to "To One In Paradise" on the Orson Welles vers. of the Tales CD. I just don't understand that at all.

Mike Brown
01-19-2007, 03:02 PM
Perhaps Styx vs. Supertramp would have been a better suited matchup.

If I was gonna include Styx, I'd probably pare them with Kansas.

John G.
01-19-2007, 03:23 PM
What about Rush... surely they need a nod as well... it might be a good pairing with Queen, both of them being hard rock and proggy in the 70s.

Jonathan Douglas
01-19-2007, 03:31 PM
No round 6? Plenty more great bands, c'mon Mike. :)

John G.
01-19-2007, 03:37 PM
Van Der Graaf Generator
Jethro Tull
Camel
Caravan
Marillion

I could go on.... we need at least three more rounds!

Jonathan Douglas
01-19-2007, 03:45 PM
Renaissance
Curved Air

Two bands with female vocals, unusual for prog.

Michael Greenwood
01-19-2007, 06:09 PM
This was tough but I have a bigger attachment to a couple of Supertramp records so I had to take them.

Tom K
01-19-2007, 06:52 PM
I never really considered Supertramp prog, but so be it...That's who I went for...

I believe Breakfast in America was the first album I ever owned...an aunt got it for me as I always used to listen to hers when I was over by her house...I still listen to the CD regularly...

APP is cool too...

Mike Brown
01-20-2007, 10:06 AM
Supertramp wins! Finals on Monday.