Mike Brown
01-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Another one to chew on.

Mike Brown
01-19-2007, 11:34 AM
Yes for me, by a long shot.

Mike Brown
01-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Round 4 question: What band that hasn't been named should I pit against Genesis?

William R.
01-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Round 4 question: What band that hasn't been named should I pit against Genesis?

Camel.

Or Pink Floyd to piss off Tolchie.

Alyss N.
01-19-2007, 11:41 AM
Okay, haha, you're making these up now, aren't you? :rolleyes:

Mike Brown
01-19-2007, 11:45 AM

My very same thoughts! The first couple of ELO albums were a bit prog too I guess.

Camel's great, but I'm trying to keep it to bands that Alyss may hear of in this lifetime. :D

Don Guarisco
01-19-2007, 11:46 AM
It's easily "Yes" for me. To these ears, ELP did not have the ability to consistently write good material to back up their chops. Yes has made their mistakes, but they have tons of material with tunes that you can hum between all the instrumental breaks. I also like that Yes tends to be more melodic when it comes to the solos - ELP just seems more interested in instrumental pyrotechnics.

Mike, please, please start a poll that tags Pink Floyd as a prog group. We all know its true, it's time for everyone to face the facts.

Mike Brown
01-19-2007, 11:49 AM
It's easily "Yes" for me. To these ears, ELP did not have the ability to consistently write good material to back up their chops. Yes has made their mistakes, but they have tons of material with tunes that you can hum between all the instrumental breaks. I also like that Yes tends to be more melodic when it comes to the solos - ELP just seems more interested in instrumental pyrotechnics.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Mike, please, please start a poll that tags Pink Floyd as a prog group. We all know its true, it's time for everyone to face the facts.
Oh Donnie G, please don't make me choose between Genesis and Floyd. :(

Jonathan Douglas
01-19-2007, 11:50 AM
ELP for me, they're more fun to listen to and watch IMO, Yes had that Anderson fellow...enough said...

Don Guarisco
01-19-2007, 11:52 AM
Oh Donnie G, please don't make me choose between Genesis and Floyd. :(

You don't necessarily have to pit Floyd against Genesis... but there are certain members of this forum that need to face the fact that Floyd is indeed a prog group. You'll be doing the world a favor. :D

Mike Brown
01-19-2007, 11:58 AM
You don't necessarily have to pit Floyd against Genesis... but there are certain members of this forum that need to face the fact that Floyd is indeed a prog group. You'll be doing the world a favor. :D

I'm afraid it's done.

John G.
01-19-2007, 12:15 PM
While Yes is a brilliant band, and I love the hell out of them, I went for Emerson Lake and Palmer. Overall they have much less brilliant albums overall, but I prefer the peak of ELP's work to that of Yes's. The problem with both bands is that they soon degenerated into lazy by-the-numbers music. At their prime, both were absolutely brilliant. ELP take it because of Tarkus and especially Brain Salad Surgery. Karn Evil 9 is one of the greatest songs ever written, and Emerson's flashy keyboard work puts them over the top. Oh yes, Lake and Palmer weren't slouches either... :D

Randy Thomas G
01-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Yes, for me, I'm not a big fan, mainly due to the vocalist who get on my nerves, but some of their intrumental passages kick ass.

Gary Banks
01-19-2007, 01:25 PM
I love both bands. But I got laid a lot while Classic Yes was on in the background so they get the nod. :D

mark t
01-19-2007, 02:03 PM
You bunch of assholes. :) I didn't read this thread before i read round 4, and i would not have gone for it like a puppy panting for a milkbone if i saw this first.

Fuckers......

Mike Brown
01-19-2007, 02:05 PM
You bunch of assholes. :) I didn't read this thread before i read round 4, and i would not have gone for it like a puppy panting for a milkbone if i saw this first.

Fuckers......

EAT IT! :D

Don Guarisco
01-19-2007, 03:34 PM

Fuckers......

Mark, we care about you and are genuinely concerned for your well-being. Thus, we want you to face reality on its own terms.

We did it for your own good. And yes, it hurt us more than it did you.

Tom K
01-19-2007, 05:43 PM
Yes

Got into them way more than ELP, although, they have some great stuff too...

Steve P.
01-19-2007, 05:58 PM
I voted for ELP because I figure Yes is going to win.

It's really too bad that ELP went so far downhill so quickly after "Brain Salad Surgery". Like the Moodies, they had a great run of records. But then they did "Love Bitch". Then they reformed and did a couple of shitty reunion efforts. Gotta say though that the ELPowell album is quite underrated.

Horace Cordier
01-19-2007, 05:58 PM
I like ELP, but I love YES.

Problem for me is that while both bands could disappear up their own asses in a cloud of musical wankery, I generally prefer the musicians that have played in YES over the years, and I think they were better in terms of actual songs. Don't get me wrong, I love a good jam (hell I regularly play 20+ minute live DEEP PURPLE/RAINBOW tracks!) but YES just work for me more consistently. Still, ELP's "peaks" (like "Brain Salad Surgery") were pretty mighty.

Another interesting thing about YES is that one of my favorite albums of theirs is "Drama" - which Anderson does not even sing on.

Btw, whats all this about FLOYD? Are they blues-based rock or Prog? I'm confused. Maybe Tolch can fill me in? :D

Horace Cordier
01-19-2007, 06:01 PM
I voted for ELP because I figure Yes is going to win.

It's really too bad that ELP went so far downhill so quickly after "Brain Salad Surgery". Like the Moodies, they had a great run of records. But then they did "Love Bitch". Then they reformed and did a couple of shitty reunion efforts. Gotta say though that the ELPowell album is quite underrated.

I thought it was "Love Beach"? It SHOULD have been called "Love Bitch" though - it would have given that record at least one cool quality. :)

Mike Brown
01-20-2007, 09:03 AM
Yes it is then. Finals on Monday!

Wayne Schmidt
01-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Yes, although neither band were my favorites in the day. Actually I liked Jon Anderson's first solo album OLIAS OF SUNHILLOW better than almost any of the Yes albums. He never did another nearly as good though.

mark t
01-20-2007, 11:21 PM
Btw, whats all this about FLOYD? Are they blues-based rock or Prog? I'm confused. Maybe Tolch can fill me in? :D

Choking on a cock might fill you in....take that advice, you bastard!

Horace Cordier
01-20-2007, 11:35 PM
Choking on a cock might fill you in....take that advice, you bastard!

We off our meds again?

Everyone knows FLOYD are a prog-blues act anyway. :D

William R.
01-20-2007, 11:37 PM
The Wiki never lies Tolch.

Just deal.

Horace Cordier
01-20-2007, 11:50 PM
The Wiki never lies Tolch.

Just deal.

Actually, the Wiki lies all the time. What do you expect from something that any idiot like me can edit on a whim? :D

Have you been over there messimg with the FLOYD entry? :eek:

William R.
01-20-2007, 11:53 PM
Pipe down.