PDA

View Full Version : Prog Rock Battle: Round 2

Mike Brown
01-19-2007, 11:14 AM
Fuck it. I'm gonna get a couple of these going and we'll pit the winners against each other later.

Mike Brown
01-19-2007, 11:18 AM
King Crimson for me. GG were very good, but KC were the King.

William R.
01-19-2007, 11:29 AM
King Crimson, one of the very, very few bands in the genre I have a respect and love for.

Don't think I ever heard Gentle Giant. I think.

Alyss N.
01-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Wow. I thought round 2 would be a little easier but I don't know either of these bands. :p

Jonathan Douglas
01-19-2007, 11:36 AM
GG fo me, don't like KC really, can't warm to them for some reason. GG are the prog kings IMO, deserve to win this whole thing. Check 'em out, William.

John G.
01-19-2007, 12:12 PM
King Crimson for me... I love Fripp's willingness to experiment and shift around the style of his music, from the classical prog stylings of the first era, to the Wetton-fronted fusion stuff (my favorite), to the Talking-Heads-meets-prog of the 80s, and the distorted greatness of 90s->now. Truly one of the greatest bands of all time, certainly near the very top for me. These guys are legends.

Gentle Giant I really enjoy... their weird quirky style of of medieval vocal melodies takes some getting used to, but their vocal harmonies are truly amazing, and at their peak they were one of the more unusual but quality prog acts. They fizzled out eventually... a really great band, but they stand no chance against Fripp and co.

Randy Thomas G
01-19-2007, 12:16 PM
King Crimson for me, although I like Gentle Giant's folky sound. I love the mid 70s period stuff with two drummers like Lark's Tongue in Aspic, I think it had a big impact on more contempary bands like Slint, Don Cabellero and every math rock band in existence.

Don Guarisco
01-19-2007, 12:37 PM
I enjoy Gentle Giant but I give King Crimson the nod because they tackled a greater variety of sounds: the old-school mellotron prog of IN THE COURT..., the metallic jazz-rock of the LARK's TONGUES days and the eccentric new-wavish minimalism of the DISCIPLINE era really cover a lot of ground and do so with impressive consistency.

Jonathan Douglas
01-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Argh, only one vote for GG! :(

Lewis G.
01-19-2007, 01:06 PM
King Crimson here too, never been a huge prog fan but my brother is a prog scholar and he lurves King Crimson. I remember his Tie dye jeans coat with a huge Adrian Belew(sp?) autograph on the back :D

Mike Brown
01-19-2007, 02:10 PM
First band with ten votes. It's official. Crimson nailed it. All Hail The King.

John G.
01-19-2007, 02:26 PM
Speaking of King Crimson, the title track from their debut album makes an appearance in the film CHILDREN OF MEN. Very cool. There's also a reference to Pink Floyd's Animals album for those paying close attention. :)

Michael Greenwood
01-19-2007, 05:11 PM
'In The Court of the Crimson King' is one of the greatest and heaviest songs, in my opinion. I know they have plenty of others (I have a compilation double lp as well) but I am always floored by that song. It's intense.

Tom K
01-19-2007, 05:41 PM
King Crimson...no contest

Steve P.
01-19-2007, 05:54 PM
King Crimson are STILL making quality progressive music. Gentle Giant went downhill after "Interview" in 1976.

Both bands recorded some classic prog, but for me, a relative no brainer.

Bård Haugland
01-19-2007, 05:59 PM
King Crimson gets too weird for me sometimes, and I love Gentle Giant, even though both are great bands. Another vote for GG.

Chad Haden
01-20-2007, 11:40 AM
King Crimson, the only prog band I like

Wayne Schmidt
01-20-2007, 01:47 PM
The Crim, definitely. Definitely one of the most influential prog bands ever. Although they changed so many times through the years it's almost like talking about two or three different bands. I love the early Mellotron heavy Pete Sinfield stuff, and the mid-era Wetton-Bruford albums. The Adrian Belew - Tony Levin era hasn't aged as well for me. I rarely listen to those anymore. And the current band doesn't get under my skin (although the last album was pretty good).

GG I could never get into, although I have a number of their albums.

Wayne Schmidt
01-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Speaking of King Crimson, the title track from their debut album makes an appearance in the film CHILDREN OF MEN. Very cool. There's also a reference to Pink Floyd's Animals album for those paying close attention. :)Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by that. I thought it worked amazingly well with the images!

Jonathan Douglas
01-20-2007, 02:24 PM
GG I could never get into, although I have a number of their albums.
Funny how it's just the other around for me.

Wayne Schmidt
01-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Funny how it's just the other around for me.Yeah, that's music for ya. I respected Gentle Giant and actually went to one of their concerts and enjoyed it. They were good showmen and had great chops, obviously. But their music never moved me . . . it was too analytical or something. But they were loved by many; the crowd at the show worshipped them.