PDA

View Full Version : M.I.A.

Mike Brown
01-17-2007, 12:12 PM
Maniacs of the past. Where are they now?

Andrew Monroe
01-17-2007, 01:21 PM
Some are patrolling other sectors.

http://www.boardgameplayer.com/gallery/d/511-3/DSC00285.JPG

Richard C
01-17-2007, 01:50 PM
Wow that's spooky I was thinking about this sort of thing on the way home on the train. I haven't been here as long as some but there have been some contributors that I miss around here.

Christoffer S
01-17-2007, 02:56 PM
Tommy D is never here. I miss him :(

and what happened to Troys best friend in the whole world Joe Lozo ?

Mike Brown
01-17-2007, 03:01 PM
It's hard to believe someone could forsake this place... though I've done the same with other forums.

Richard C
01-17-2007, 03:04 PM
Tommy D is never here. I miss him :(

Yeah Tom is one Maniac that doesn't get a chance to post anymore. What was that guy's name who loved Morricone (apologies for forgetting your name :o ).

John G.
01-17-2007, 03:12 PM
Yeah, he was a fairly significant member... I just recently knocked him out of the "Top 10" and he stopped posting months ago or something. Matthew Allison seems to have picked up the slack though for sheer posts per day, more or less...

It would be pretty interesting if Joe decided to come back and post again... his sparring matches with Mr. Howarth were the stuff of legends.

Bill Pissott
01-17-2007, 03:42 PM
Not to mention his battles with Michael Elliott. Another guy I miss.

John G.
01-17-2007, 03:46 PM
I'd say the chances of Mike coming back to post are about zilch, for various reasons best left unsaid. He does still post at Home Theater Forum, doesn't he? I'm not too fond of that site... it's very cold and impersonal. I very much prefer the friendly atmosphere of this place.

J Fresta
01-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Not to mention his battles with Michael Elliott. Another guy I miss.

oh my god.. the arguments would be like 15 pages long.

John G.
01-17-2007, 03:48 PM
It did often get out of hand, but there was a certain charm and familiarity about it... you would log in and check the site for new threads, and upon seeing a new one that was 50+ posts long, you just knew what you were in for before you clicked to read. :D

Bill Pissott
01-17-2007, 03:50 PM

The kings of the thread derailments :)

We've had this discussion before and I know where other folks stand on the issue but from a purely personal standpoint, I much prefer Maniacs from 5-6 years ago then I do today's version. Not even close.

I like the stormy, unpredictable atmosphere. Plus it was more fun but that's just me :)

John G.
01-17-2007, 03:56 PM
Well Bill it was often fun, I'll agree with you there, but remember also that many of those people aren't here today because of it.

When was the last time we had anybody banned or leaving under negative circumstances, aside from Swedish Joe's prissy "I'm leaving" threads of course. :D

Martin N
01-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Yeah Tom is one Maniac that doesn't get a chance to post anymore. What was that guy's name who loved Morricone (apologies for forgetting your name :o ).

Andy Johansen?

Peter S, is another cool fella I miss.

Christoffer S
01-17-2007, 03:59 PM
THATS IT! IM LEAVING! :mad:

Al Edwards
01-17-2007, 04:01 PM
Some names who haven't posted in a while.

Daisy Gard
Andrew Bodsworth
Mario Gauci

Bill Pissott
01-17-2007, 04:02 PM
Well Bill it was often fun, I'll agree with you there, but remember also that many of those people aren't here today because of it.

When was the last time we had anybody banned or leaving under negative circumstances, aside from Swedish Joe's prissy "I'm leaving" threads of course. :D

That's a good point John but you have to admit, all the years leading up to stuff like that was never dull or uninteresting. I don't want folks to think I'm bitching here because I'm just voicing my opinion in the context of the conversation but I think you were right, it had a more family type atmosphere back in those days despite the dysfunctionality :)

You know who I miss? That guy "Sardonicus" that used to have those classic horror film showdowns.

mark t
01-17-2007, 04:08 PM
I miss Sgt. Pinback. That guy was too rad.

Bill Pissott
01-17-2007, 04:09 PM
I remember, I think his name was fudohfan39 or something and that dude was really big on Asian horror. Also remember a fella by the name of Rabiddogs84 I believe who was a huge Hammer fan.

Bill Pissott
01-17-2007, 04:10 PM
I miss Sgt. Pinback. That guy was too rad.

He didn't last too long.

mark t
01-17-2007, 04:12 PM
I remember, I think his name was fudohfan39 or something and that dude was really big on Asian horror. Also remember a fella by the name of Rabiddogs84 I believe who was a huge Hammer fan.

Yeah, fudohfan was alright...i think that i first watched Fudoh because of his name. Rabiddogs was big on music, as I recall. I'm trying to remember who the one dude was that came on here and offended just about everyone in 3 posts.

Bill Pissott
01-17-2007, 04:14 PM
Yeah, fudohfan was alright...i think that i first watched Fudoh because of his name. Rabiddogs was big on music, as I recall. I'm trying to remember who the one dude was that came on here and offended just about everyone in 3 posts.

I don't remember. I do remember there was one dude I turned on to "Torture Chamber Od Dr. Sadism" and he was really thankful for that. I'm thinking it might have been Carl Perez but I'm not positive.

John G.
01-17-2007, 04:17 PM
All of this was back when the forum was more centered on horror and exploitation films... I suppose it still is to a lesser extent, but these days I believe Edwin and Ian are going more for a "general film" type atmosphere. This might also explain why certain forum members stopped hanging around (note that I'm not blaming anyone, just making an observation).

But yeah... seeing some of these names really brings back memories.

Andrew Monroe
01-17-2007, 04:20 PM
Peter S, is another cool fella I miss.

Yeah Martin, I really miss Peter S too. He was one of my favs to talk gialli with. Weren`t you or Jonny in touch w/him some? What happened to him?

Mario Gauci still posts reviews on IMDB, I`ll be looking up some obscure spaghetti or giallo and POP, there`s a recent review from him. Also, he (or his evil twin brother Roderick) post occasionally at Latarnia or CHFB.

I miss Daisy too. Always had a unique perspective on a movie.

Magnus Wersen
01-17-2007, 04:20 PM
I really miss that guy from Texas (can't remember his name) with his dancing gerbils.

Matt A
01-17-2007, 04:21 PM
Never mind.

Bill Pissott
01-17-2007, 04:22 PM
I remember Li'l Spanky which I believe was Lyle. I thought he was a pretty good kid.

Andrew Monroe
01-17-2007, 04:23 PM
I did a search for some of the people you guys have mentioned. This came up alot... :rolleyes:

Maybe you oughtta be clear about who, `cause that sure as hell isn`t the case with the folks I mentioned.

Bill Pissott
01-17-2007, 04:26 PM
Maybe you oughtta be clear about who, `cause that sure as hell isn`t the case with the folks I mentioned.

More then likely Joe or Michael. That shit didn't bother me none though, back then the board had that kind of passion and emotion and unpredictability whereas it's more generic these days. Still a nice place I also wanna say :)

Matt A
01-17-2007, 04:30 PM

Sorry. I had looked up "Sardonicus" and found a thread about CABIN FEVER with some heated arguments going on. I edited my post.

Bård Haugland
01-17-2007, 04:32 PM
Ryan Clark?

David Huber
01-17-2007, 04:35 PM
Remember back when Matthew Allison used to post? I think it was about 3:30 or so....

John G.
01-17-2007, 04:36 PM
I remember Li'l Spanky which I believe was Lyle. I thought he was a pretty good kid.
I still talk to him on IM but very rarely these days.

I too remember satanic dancing gerbil guy. Wasn't his last name Mcbride or am I imagining things?

Disco Stu was pretty active for a while, but once Ryan Burgos stopped becoming a regular himself, so did he.

Magnus Wersen
01-17-2007, 04:46 PM
I too remember satanic dancing gerbil guy. Wasn't his last name Mcbride or am I imagining things?

It definitely was McBride! He was one of the few people who actually agreed with me whenever I posted something stupid. :D

Christoffer S
01-17-2007, 04:48 PM
It definitely was McBride! He was one of the few people who actually agreed with me whenever I posted something stupid. :D

He then must have agreed with everything you ever posted! :D

Magnus Wersen
01-17-2007, 04:51 PM
He then must have agreed with everything you ever posted! :D

Yeah, and who doesn't? ;)

Andrew Monroe
01-17-2007, 04:53 PM
Sorry. I had looked up "Sardonicus" and found a thread about CABIN FEVER with some heated arguments going on. I edited my post.

That`s cool. These threads serve one purpose for me, to hopefully encourage some of the missed to post again, so I wouldn`t want to put them off.

Now who I really miss is Travis Brain, the man had a way with a phony giallo title, and I liked the cut o`his jib.

Bill Pissott
01-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Now who I really miss is Travis Brain, the man had a way with a phony giallo title, and I liked the cut o`his jib.

Wow. I remember him.

Magnus Wersen
01-17-2007, 04:57 PM
I really miss Brian Stewart as well. He had a brilliant taste in music...

Bill Pissott
01-17-2007, 04:58 PM
OK, so who was formerly canuckcultfilmfan?

mark t
01-17-2007, 05:03 PM

I think that was either Clint or Zane, wasn't it?

Bill Pissott
01-17-2007, 05:06 PM
I think that was either Clint or Zane, wasn't it?

Zane is correct. I think Clint was "crunchermcnut" or something

Christoffer S
01-17-2007, 05:07 PM
Wasnt Clint crunchermcnut?

Bill Pissott
01-17-2007, 05:09 PM
Wasnt Clint crunchermcnut?

I think so.

Christoffer S
01-17-2007, 05:10 PM
I do so to. Lets agree that he was, and thats the end of that :D

Don Guarisco
01-17-2007, 05:12 PM
Perhaps there should be one more subforum to recreate the feeling of old. You could bring back Elliott, Lozo, Pinback, etc. and cut them loose without rules or guidelines. Anyone else who wants to get involved can do so (at their own risk, of course). It would just be non-stop battles to the death over opinions, film preferences and anything else that can start a 15-page argument. Gratuitous religious, political and music-preference threads would be a must.

It could be the film forum equivalent of ROLLERBALL. You could call this subforum "Stirring The Shit." :D

Plus, this would give Ian a whole new out when addressing a thread that goes wrong elsewhere - he could simply say "Guys, this has gone as far as it can go here. Time to take your argument to Stirring The Shit."

Bill Pissott
01-17-2007, 05:15 PM
Awesome idea!

Alyss N.
01-17-2007, 05:15 PM
I feel so deprived of having known these people.

Christoffer S
01-17-2007, 05:16 PM
I like it! :D

Bill Pissott
01-17-2007, 05:16 PM
I like it! :D

Dropping the gloves Swede, Dropping the gloves! :)

Bill Pissott
01-17-2007, 05:19 PM
Remember who Denise was before she was Minx?

Josh S
01-17-2007, 05:19 PM

He posts over on a hip-hop board now, and I think he does mixtapes under the name DJ Pure-L. Lyle is a special kind of rad.

Bill Pissott
01-17-2007, 05:20 PM
He posts over on a hip-hop board now, and I think he does mixtapes under the name DJ Pure-L. Lyle is a special kind of rad.

Very cool. I thought he was a good guy. Really loved classic horror films. I think his favorite was "Freaks".

Jesper Maintz
01-17-2007, 05:22 PM
I miss Peter S as well - he was a really nice fella. Also Ryan Clark and GoblinGodess. And what was that fellas name? Paul Chanault?

Troy Howarth
01-17-2007, 05:24 PM
The kings of the thread derailments :)

We've had this discussion before and I know where other folks stand on the issue but from a purely personal standpoint, I much prefer Maniacs from 5-6 years ago then I do today's version. Not even close.

I like the stormy, unpredictable atmosphere. Plus it was more fun but that's just me :)

You know my feelings on this topic, but I'll chime in just for the heck of it - while some of the unpredictability you note was indeed fun, some of it was just nauseating after a while. To really understand how one feels about this, however, it's best to be in their shoes - thus you have your reasons for missing some people, and I have reasons for not missing them. :)

Martin N
01-17-2007, 05:26 PM
Yeah Martin, I really miss Peter S too. He was one of my favs to talk gialli with. Weren`t you or Jonny in touch w/him some? What happened to him?

Yup, Peter knew his gialli and polizieschi. I think he had some troubles in real life and didn't get the time to post. Jonny stayed in touch with him, I think, but I haven;t heard anything in a while.

Bill Pissott
You know my feelings on this topic, but I'll chime in just for the heck of it - while some of the unpredictability you note was indeed fun, some of it was just nauseating after a while. To really understand how one feels about this, however, it's best to be in their shoes - thus you have your reasons for missing some people, and I have reasons for not missing them. :)

I understand completely.

Troy Howarth
A few names I am genuinely curious about have been raised, however - I'd like to see Goblingoddess and Paul Chenault back here again, and Harvey Click posts too infrequently for my tastes.

Bill Pissott
01-17-2007, 05:27 PM
One guy I really miss who was probably one of my favorite posters ever is Kylefield. That guy actually dug Bread and The Poppy Family also! :)

Magnus Wersen
01-17-2007, 05:28 PM

Like me? ;)

Troy Howarth
01-17-2007, 05:28 PM
Magnus! Yes, you need to show your ugly mug around here more often! :)

mark t
01-17-2007, 05:29 PM
Kyle Field was awesome. Genuinely nice guy, and a great and generous trader...odd considering i first "met" him while we were attacking the hell out of each other in a Victor Salva thread.

Troy Howarth
01-17-2007, 05:29 PM
Yeah, Kyle was a good guy - well, still is... I shouldn't speak of people like they're dead! :D

Ian Jane
01-17-2007, 05:30 PM
I'm going to chime in on this once and only once, as we've been over this what seems like at least a dozen times in the last year and a half or so.

MOST of these people were not kicked off. Out of all of those named, there are (I think) three exceptions but that's it. Those who were kicked off were kicked off for perfectly valid reasons and they were given MULTIPLE chances. It's rare that I'll give anyone the axe without at least a few second chances. Everyone fucks up once in a while or loses their temper once in a while so it's only fair that you get out of jail free from time to time. That being said, when it's constant, as it was in a couple of cases, it's time to move on... like it or not. I'll say no more on this subject as those who were kicked off aren't here to defend themselves.

The rest of the people mentioned , yeah, they'd gladly be welcomed back anytime. Their accounts are still active and they can login whenever they feel the need.

Like any message board, people come and people go. It's just the nature of the beast. It'd be great if we could all correspond with whoever we wanted to on here but sometimes life changes, priorities differ, etc. and you don't want to post on a message board anymore. As such, you move on and forget or can't be bothered. It's just part of life.

Bill Pissott
01-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Ian's right of course. For me, it's just a silly trip down memory lane that's fun to talk about sometimes.

And yes, Kyle was a great guy and a superb trader, even though he likes the Kings :)

Andrew Monroe
01-17-2007, 05:43 PM
Yup, Peter knew his gialli and polizieschi. I think he had some troubles in real life and didn't get the time to post. Jonny stayed in touch with him, I think, but I haven;t heard anything in a while.

Thanks for the update, Martin. I`m sorry to hear he had troubles, been through some rough times myself the last few years. If you or Jonny ever contact him, please pass along my best wishes. Hopefully things are on the upswing now.

Finally, I miss some of the old Maniacs, but this is a great board right now. There`s a nice mix of fans of all types of films and the level of respect for others is generally a lot higher than it used to be.

Matt A
01-17-2007, 05:45 PM
I dislike Troy Howarth. :mad:

Conner H
01-17-2007, 05:46 PM
I really miss that guy from Texas (can't remember his name) with his dancing gerbils.

Josh McBride. I remember getting into political debates with that guy some years ago...

Troy Howarth
01-17-2007, 05:49 PM
I dislike Troy Howarth. :mad:

Join the club!

Matt A
01-17-2007, 06:03 PM
In all seriousness though, I have learned that I don't do well with film discussions/heated, hair-pulling, face-slapping, "I wish cancer on you because you didn't like HULK" slobber knockers. I was talking to Don about this the other night, but you're always going to run into someone with a difference of opinion and some folks (i.e. ME) can take it personal and don't always behave like an adult in those situations. I would get into multiple page battles with people at another board I would go to and got kicked off several times. Granted, this other forum had much stricter moderators, but nevertheless I would act a fool on occasion. This is honestly why I don't post in other forums here all that often, unless it's to drop a top ten list or provide some info (which I rarely have). It's just not worth the stress to get into an argument with someone half way across the country, whom you've never met, over a movie of all things. I still love film, and watch movies regularly, but I've come to discover that I don't always have a level head when it comes to message boards (in case you hadn't noticed.) ;)

Jonny Redman
01-17-2007, 06:17 PM

Last time I spoke to Peter he'd split up with his longtime girlfriend and got a job promotion. He'd also started DJ'ing playing old soul records and said he'd rekindled his passion for said music. I got the feeling that his Giallo collecting mania and the long nights sat on the internet was one of the reason's why he split with his girl...

Peter's a cool cat, I must email him and see how he's doing.

Graham Smith
01-17-2007, 06:18 PM
A couple of the names mentioned above remind me why I'm glad they no longer post here. Before signing up in, I think, October 2003 under the cunning nickname 'Graham', I'd been browsing the forum for well over a year. However, what stopped me from signing up earlier was how argumentative this place was at times back then. I think the place is a far more friendly, mature forum now. On the other hand, I genuinely miss a couple of the other names.

Jonny Redman
01-17-2007, 06:28 PM
Disco Stu was always entertaining. If someone argued with him he'd magically produce a rake of old posts/info to back up his rant.

He had his own forum if I remember correctly? Anyone remember what it was?

Jesper Maintz
01-17-2007, 06:46 PM
He had his own forum if I remember correctly? Anyone remember what it was?
http://www.wehateyouandyourhorrendoustasteineverything.co m

Zane C.
01-17-2007, 07:23 PM

That would be me! That was back in the days before we had to post under our real names. It's cool, though, as I would have changed it to my name sooner or later anyhow. This place is too much fun to hide under a pseudonym! :D

Clint was CruncherMcNut.

Jonny Redman
01-17-2007, 07:27 PM
http://www.wehateyouandyourhorrendoustasteineverything.co m

Nice one Jesper. I see the site hasn't been updated for a couple of years now, what has become of Disco Stu?

Andrew Monroe
01-17-2007, 08:11 PM
Last time I spoke to Peter he'd split up with his longtime girlfriend and got a job promotion. He'd also started DJ'ing playing old soul records and said he'd rekindled his passion for said music. I got the feeling that his Giallo collecting mania and the long nights sat on the internet was one of the reason's why he split with his girl...

Peter's a cool cat, I must email him and see how he's doing.

Thanks for the update, Jonny. As I mentioned, please pass along my greetings and best wishes if you do get in touch.

Jonny Redman
01-17-2007, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the update, Jonny. As I mentioned, please pass along my greetings and best wishes if you do get in touch.

Just had an email back from Peter. He's cool, busy working and playing his Xbox. Still into his Gialli, Poliziesco's and stuff. Just got out of the habit of posting on forums, which is cool.

mark t
01-17-2007, 09:34 PM
I agree with Bill, somewhat, that the forum had more of a Gonzo attitude back in tha day....however, I think, with a couple of exceptions (Harvey Click being one), that we're at a better place with our membership. Bill, Troy, Ian, Zane, Clint, Chad, etc, are still kicking around to chat to...and then we have the "newer" guys (newer than 5 years ago) like Allison, Redman, Donnie G., and Alyss......(sorry to class you as a guy, Alyss) that are wicked forum members, post some good shit....

I'll be honest with you, once in awhile i feel a little nostalgia for the old days of Lozo and Elliot, and then i think, while the conversations were interesting and heated sometimes, other times they were ridiculous.

Alyss N.
01-17-2007, 09:37 PM
...and Alyss......(sorry to class you as a guy, Alyss) that are wicked forum members...

I'm used to it... I take it as a compliment. :cool:

Ian Miller
01-17-2007, 09:51 PM
So, how long have I really been here? Four years? Three? My join date is wrong.

Ian Miller
01-17-2007, 09:57 PM
OK, I think it was 2003.

Bill Pissott
01-17-2007, 10:00 PM
So, how long have I really been here? Four years? Three? My join date is wrong.

Yeah, all of the old time members join dates are wrong. Remember we had to start over from scratch in 2003 when the forum got fried? My join date probably goes back to like 2000 or something. Maybe 2001.

Bill Pissott
01-17-2007, 10:06 PM
that we're at a better place with our membership.

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum Tolch. With all due respect to whoever, I feel the membership as a whole was a lot better years ago. Again, it's a fun place to stop by and visit but, membership wise, it's kinda generic like other forums. Back then, I feel it was more unique and one of the things that set Maniacs apart from anything else. Remember the Magnificent Butcher?? :)

Travis Sheldon
01-17-2007, 11:00 PM
Memories...
Like A PBR Soaked Pillowcase
Misty Bong-Water Colored Memories
Of The Way We Were...

Sniff!
I'm shedding a tear. :o

Ian Miller
01-17-2007, 11:02 PM
Remember when I used to post drunk offa my ass? I don't!

Josh S
01-17-2007, 11:08 PM
I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum Tolch. With all due respect to whoever, I feel the membership as a whole was a lot better years ago. Again, it's a fun place to stop by and visit but, membership wise, it's kinda generic like other forums. Back then, I feel it was more unique and one of the things that set Maniacs apart from anything else. Remember the Magnificent Butcher?? :)

I can definately understand that.

To me it's a more inviting place now (as well as I can judge being here four years), but at the same time it's so familiar that's it's not as fun. Then again I love threads that are train-wreck arguments. I wouldn't want a whole forum of that, but I do think this board is almost too friendly.

Also, what happened to Frank? I haven't seen him since I said I didn't like brown shoes with white soles. I assume he's just busy with life. I hope...

Alyss N.
01-17-2007, 11:11 PM
Remember when I used to post drunk offa my ass? I don't!

Even I remember that and I've only been here a month. :rolleyes:

If things are too friendly here maybe someone should start a "You Know Who I Hate?" thread. That should add some fun banter to the board. :D

Ian Miller
01-17-2007, 11:18 PM
but I do think this board is almost too friendly.

I'll see what I can do about that, ya lil' fucker!

Also, what happened to Frank? I haven't seen him since I said I didn't like brown shoes with white soles. I assume he's just busy with life. I hope...

face it, he's left you.

Josh S
01-17-2007, 11:41 PM
I'll see what I can do about that, ya lil' fucker!

haha

I appreciate that. Asshole. :)

Maybe familiar would've been a better word. Once I get used to people I tend to just kinda drop them and go on about my merry way. I'm not complaining that we get along.

Bill Pissott
01-18-2007, 12:16 AM
I can definately understand that.

To me it's a more inviting place now (as well as I can judge being here four years), but at the same time it's so familiar that's it's not as fun. Then again I love threads that are train-wreck arguments. I wouldn't want a whole forum of that, but I do think this board is almost too friendly.

Good points. I don't think the board has nearly the personality and originality, member wise, that it had years ago.

Troy Howarth
01-18-2007, 12:58 AM
I think the fact that we all get along could well be improved, however, by all of us bothering to pitch in and participate in actual film discussion. The OT section gets lots of play, but so what? This is a film board, and I think we could find a happy medium by actively participating in making this a better place. Translation: stop your whinin' and get back to posting actual opinions! I'll be happy to participate.

Fred Adelman
01-18-2007, 02:08 AM
Good points. I don't think the board has nearly the personality and originality, member wise, that it had years ago.

Ouch! I don't know whether all the other posters here should take that statement personally.

Sorry you feel that way, Bill. Lately, you seem bored and disinterested in nearly everything that is posted here.

The sad fact is that things change. Without change, everything would seem boring to me. It seems to have the opposite effect on you.

I think you need an enemy. It would probably get your juices flowing again.

Maybe someone new will come on and make your life miserable.

John G.
01-18-2007, 08:48 AM
I think things took a drastic turn once politics was banned from the forum. Some of the more heated arguments always centered around topics like abortion, the death penalty or welfare. These arguments reached their breaking point with the Bush/Gore election, the controversy there, 9/11, and finally the war in Iraq... a series of events that seemed to one-up themselves in terms of controversy. It would be interesting to speculate whether or not the forum would "regress" back to what it originally was if these subjects were allowed again, but it's been so long since we've had them that they're almost a distant memory (almost).

Then again, I seem to recall similarly heated arguments over aspect ratios, cut scenes, and Warner Brothers being the worst of the major companies (since recanted). So I guess it really DOES have more to do with certain key members who would be willing to fuel the arguments, so to speak. I think the remaining members from that time have mellowed out over time.

Jonathan Douglas
01-18-2007, 09:15 AM
Wasn't there a God of Death here, I remember that nick?

Bill Pissott
01-18-2007, 09:16 AM
Ouch! I don't know whether all the other posters here should take that statement personally.

Sorry you feel that way, Bill. Lately, you seem bored and disinterested in nearly everything that is posted here.

The sad fact is that things change. Without change, everything would seem boring to me. It seems to have the opposite effect on you.

I think you need an enemy. It would probably get your juices flowing again.

Don't take it personally Fred. I'm sure by now you know that I think you are aces. I don't think an enemy or someone that makes my life miserable would work since I am VERY good at ignoring things. However, there are a couple of posters here that make me want to rip the hair out of my head by the roots so you never know :)

Bill Pissott
01-18-2007, 09:17 AM
Wasn't there a God of Death here, I remember that nick?

That was the former nick of our old friend and valued member Al Edwards.

Mike T
01-18-2007, 09:54 AM
In all seriousness though, I have learned that I don't do well with film discussions/heated, hair-pulling, face-slapping, "I wish cancer on you because you didn't like HULK" slobber knockers. I was talking to Don about this the other night, but you're always going to run into someone with a difference of opinion and some folks (i.e. ME) can take it personal and don't always behave like an adult in those situations. I would get into multiple page battles with people at another board I would go to and got kicked off several times. Granted, this other forum had much stricter moderators, but nevertheless I would act a fool on occasion. This is honestly why I don't post in other forums here all that often, unless it's to drop a top ten list or provide some info (which I rarely have). It's just not worth the stress to get into an argument with someone half way across the country, whom you've never met, over a movie of all things. I still love film, and watch movies regularly, but I've come to discover that I don't always have a level head when it comes to message boards (in case you hadn't noticed.) ;)

Hear, hear, Matt! Yes, you're not blocked/on Ignore/etc...I was just fuckin' with ya! :p As someone else said, it would be un-Maniac to block you in any form and, I'm sure you'd agree, things here are a whole lot more relaxed and fun than another place we both used to frequent once. Thus, apologies (from reading the above post) for any ill-feeling I may have created from my seldom seen sarcastic side.

But I have to agree through and through -- there have been people in the past here that shat me to tears who I had lengthy arguments with...but after a while I thought "Do I really give a fuck about these people? Are they remotely important to me in my day to day life?" and the answer was no. So these days, I just post in the topics I like, willingly ignore posts by folk who I know will rile me before I login, and remain blissfully ignorant of their posts once I have logged in as there were a few I actually did engage the Ignore function with. Like Ian said, time changes people and their priorities, and eventually some of us just end up realising that there's more to life than posting stuff on internet forums when we have nothing else to do.

Likewise, there's zero benefit in getting worked up what someone with a differing opinion or viewpoint has to say on a forum to something you write yourself; they don't like what you have to say or who you are? That's their problem, not yours...especially if you're being true to your own personality. Why change yourself so as to not "rock the boat" just because someone tells you you're wrong every time you type something? Talking shit to people because they don't agree with you isn't intelligent discussion -- it's narrow-mindedness, an unwillingness to think outside of the box that is your own comfort zone (eg: your own opinions and feelings), and that's why this is the only forum I post on...because, by and large, we're largely free of that kind of redundant behaviour.

That said, I do have to agree somewhat with Troy too -- these are predominantly film forums and some days actual film discussion is somewhat lacking. I'd like to see more of that...just without all of the useless rhetoric that you see elsewhere that differentiates other forums from this one. :)

Mike Brown
01-18-2007, 09:58 AM
Sounds like this place used to be a regular hell hole. :)

Chad Haden
01-18-2007, 10:05 AM
There are certain old members I miss like Kyle Field, Tom D and Harvey but there are certain other members who I miss about as much as I'd miss shitting my pants.

Bill Pissott
01-18-2007, 10:09 AM
Sounds like this place used to be a regular hell hole. :)

Nope.

Graham Smith
01-18-2007, 10:28 AM
I do have to agree somewhat with Troy too - these are predominantly film forums and some days actual film discussion is somewhat lacking. I'd like to see more of that...

Me too. Sometimes I log in, see 73 or whatever threads to read, and only find myself clicking on a handful as the majority reside in Off Topic. It's nice people people chat about all sorts of things but I do wonder sometimes whether people come here to talk movies. Still, it's easy to ignore such threads, so I don't really have an problem with it. Just an observation. :)

Mike Brown
01-18-2007, 10:50 AM
Nope.

A lot of what I'm reading here leads me to believe that it was quite a bit more humorless. I'm proabably wrong. I didn't join till a couple years back, so I can't really say for sure. Anyway, I'm all for passionate discussion, but without humor, it's just a bit too dramatic... for me anyway. However, I do get a kick out of the occasional flare up. Otherwise, I'm fine with the way the board is now, though it has seemed to be in a bit of a lull since the holidays.

-------

Also, off topic is there for a reason. It's just as valid as any other forum on this board as far as I see it. It's a place to let loose, let off steam, get ridiculous, and shoot the shit. If Ian or Edwin had a problem with it, I'm sure it would have been dealt with a long time ago. If I'm burnt on dvd talk, I'd rather read or post something ludicrous in OT than avoid the forums all together. That's just me though. :)

Scott Ruhl
...me want to rip the hair out of my head by the roots ...

My brother Moe is doing that to me all the time.

Jonathan Douglas
I understand what Bill means about before and now, and I'm convinced it's all that sordid pornography, it depraves the soul. :o

John G.
01-18-2007, 10:56 AM
Another thing about the old days... I think it may have alienated a lot of the forum members because you would have these MASSIVE threads with Michael, Joe, Troy, myself and a couple of others posting these epic back-and-forths and meanwhile other forum members would get frustrated that their comments were ignored in favor of a lot of the bickering. Speaking as someone who often participated in these threads, it WAS often very fun, but on the other hand I could see it being very annoying from the other perspective.

Alyss N.
01-18-2007, 10:58 AM
Seems to me OT type forums are there for people to get to know each other. Sort of like recess during school. Films (or school) is why you're there but often recess (OT) is the most relaxing and fun. Sometimes you find boards though were there are posters that only seem to post in OT and don't contribute at all to the real point of the board. From what I've seen though, seems everyone here contributes everywhere or at least in the genre forums they're interested in. So do the hokey pokey and turn yourself around 'cause that's what it's all about. :cool:

John G.
01-18-2007, 11:01 AM
Wait, so what forum is detention then?

mark t
01-18-2007, 11:02 AM
A lot of what I'm reading here leads me to believe that it was quite a bit more humorless. I'm proabably wrong.

It wasn't always humourless, but yeah, sometimes it was. And as much as I can appreciate somebody getting worked up enough to engage in an argument about a movie for 38 pages, it did sometimes get downright nasty in here, with insults, name-calling, and even threats through email and PM's.

Alyss N.
01-18-2007, 11:03 AM
Wait, so what forum is detention then?

Definitely eX. That's where all the cool kids hang out. :D

Scott Ruhl
01-18-2007, 11:08 AM
A lot of what I'm reading here leads me to believe that it was quite a bit more humorless.

It seems like if anything it's more humorless now, maybe some of you old timers are just bored with the board and need to move the fuck on.

Christoffer S
01-18-2007, 11:10 AM
Excuse me? This is MY board! MINE! You move the fuck on! :D

Alyss N.
01-18-2007, 11:10 AM
It seems like if anything it's more humorless now, maybe some of you old timers are just bored with the board and need to move the fuck on.

Are you looking for an argument or do you want a blowjob?

:p

(Yes, that's a quote. :mad: )

:D

Bill Pissott
01-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Another thing about the old days... I think it may have alienated a lot of the forum members because you would have these MASSIVE threads with Michael, Joe, Troy, myself and a couple of others posting these epic back-and-forths and meanwhile other forum members would get frustrated that their comments were ignored in favor of a lot of the bickering. Speaking as someone who often participated in these threads, it WAS often very fun, but on the other hand I could see it being very annoying from the other perspective.

Not a bad point John. But in truth, even if folks didn't participate back then, the threads, IMHO were fun to read at least. Almost like mini-movies if you will. Excellent bang for the buck entertainment wise. Back then, if I couldn't post all day due to work, I couldn't wait to read the board when I got home. Now, I check it after checking about 4 other forums and more times then not, most threads I just pass right over. But, it could change down the road. Who knows.

John G.
01-18-2007, 11:18 AM
Not a bad point John. But in truth, even if folks didn't participate back then, the threads, IMHO were fun to read at least. Almost like mini-movies if you will. Excellent bang for the buck entertainment wise. Back then, if I couldn't post all day due to work, I couldn't wait to read the board when I got home. Now, I check it after checking about 4 other forums and more times then not, most threads I just pass right over. But, it could change down the road. Who knows.
That's also true I guess.... you know, the cliche is that these things come in cycles, so perhaps someone will come along and "rock the boat," so to speak. That situation from a few years ago arose because you had very strong personalities with very different opinions... sooner or later someone else will come along who is just as opinionated and clash with Troy or myself. ;)

Christoffer S
01-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Im oppinionated!

But noone takes me seriously :(

Scott Ruhl
01-18-2007, 11:31 AM
Excuse me? This is MY board! MINE! You move the fuck on! :D
It is your board, you are the spice of life, but then you don't act like a whiny bitch either

Are you looking for an argument or do you want a blowjob?

I'm always looking for a blowjob, good thing I just came from one. zing!

Bill Pissott
01-18-2007, 11:36 AM
That's also true I guess.... you know, the cliche is that these things come in cycles, so perhaps someone will come along and "rock the boat," so to speak. That situation from a few years ago arose because you had very strong personalities with very different opinions... sooner or later someone else will come along who is just as opinionated and clash with Troy or myself. ;)

Very true. People get along too well around here. Blah! :)

David Huber
01-18-2007, 11:57 AM
I wasn't around back then, although I do remember Joe Lozo- I had just started posting prior to his infamous 'exit speech'- but I do know that reading the back and forth arguments were a double-edged sword. On the one hand, they were fun to read as an observer; on the other, they really inhibited the novice poster (like me) from joining the forum. Although a number of people can plop down in a forum and rack up posts and become instant core members, it's not something that most are able to do (look at the ratio of Members to Guests and I think you'll see what I mean), particularly on a forum where there are many members still here after 6-7 years. I would guess that people enjoy reading the posts and like getting to know the active members via their 'posting personalities', but those same personalities tend to become a semi-exclusive club. Again, this can be fun to read but difficult to participate in. Also, when this forum started, DVD (and, really, the internet)was in it's infancy: I stumbled on the Mobius forum back around then, and it was a genuinely exciting place. I think both the Net and DVDs are now so much a part of everyday life that they can't help but become a little dull. How many times can the same movies, lists and polls be discussed, really? Having said that, I still think this is the best place of it's type on the Net.

Clint C
01-18-2007, 12:17 PM
Here's my 2 cents.

I can see where Bill is coming from. Some of the old mega-arguments were compelling, in a kind of trainwreck sense.

The board has become less volatile since the abolishment of political threads (and the ousting of a couple of shit disturbers), but to me, this is a good thing. Sure, the board isn't quite as raucous as it used to be, but I find it to be a much more pleasant environment these days. I used to get really pissed off and upset by things some members would say in the political threads, and I would carry those feelings into the film discussion and completely disregard certain individuals that I thought were ignorant fucking bastards. That doesn't happen so much these days.

Mike Brown
01-18-2007, 12:37 PM
It strikes me as funny that some of the seemingly "touchiest" members would pine for the "volatile" days.

Matt A
01-18-2007, 12:43 PM
Hear, hear, Matt! Yes, you're not blocked/on Ignore/etc...I was just fuckin' with ya! :p As someone else said, it would be un-Maniac to block you in any form and, I'm sure you'd agree, things here are a whole lot more relaxed and fun than another place we both used to frequent once. Thus, apologies (from reading the above post) for any ill-feeling I may have created from my seldom seen sarcastic side.

Thanks. I know I can be a bit much some (alot) of the time and I've pissed off my fair share of people around here, such as...

For some unknown reason (I don't wanna know why), every year there is a new guy who shows up and for one reason or another they think I don't give them *enough* attention. They all follow the same disturbing pattern too, complete with the ol' mock appreciation thread, and endless spamming designed specifically to get my oh-so-valuable attention.

For the record, I give EVERYONE attention. It's not part of the job, it's what the job IS. But obviously it's not enough for *some* people.

Matthew, whatever I missed that needed MY attention SO BADLY - hey, tough fucking titties. I can't read every single post on this board, and even if I did, sometimes I just plain forget to respond to some of them. Most people understand that this goes without saying. Some people demand an explaination, and when that explaination isn't good enough, they go all Jan Brady and subsequently embarrass themselves while simultaneously losing the respect of many people on a global scale.

You're gonna have to take my word for it when I say that attention from me is vastly over-rated anyway. Personally, I'd rather be obsessed with Ian Jane any day of the week. He's much cooler.

I'm used to it. :)

Bill Pissott
01-18-2007, 12:44 PM
Clint and David - Some good points all around. I'm not so sure, for me personally, that I actually miss the climate from the old days or some of the members. Probably a little of both but again, as I've said repeatedly, I still think the current version is a fun place to stop by once in a while. I'm sure my comments don't sit well with certain folks but that's ok, I'm not here to be liked by everybody nor do I want to be. I still like stopping by because there is a good handful of members who I enjoy talking to and who's posts I like to read. Other then those people, I have to honestly say that I just don't care about what anyone else has to say. Good, bad or indifferent.

Mike Brown
01-18-2007, 12:46 PM
Thanks. I know I can be a bit much some (alot) of the time and I've pissed off my fair share of people around here, such as...

Oh come on, admit it. You're a touchy little baby-cut-a-fart. Whatever the hell that is! :D

Gary Banks
01-18-2007, 12:54 PM
So much of life today is accompanied by an "in your face" shout at the top of your lungs attitude. I see people screaming at each other trying to drown out the other one's opinion on the tv all the time. We've lost the art of communication and have replaced it with the last person standing is "right/the winner".

Granted some of the old threads were funny. But when people lost control it just became page after page of "I'm right and you're a fucking idiot". If I want to hear that I can turn on the tv and watch the talking heads do that.

Scott Ruhl
01-18-2007, 01:00 PM

I wouldn't put much stock into what Frank thinks. Really.

Jesper Maintz
01-18-2007, 01:23 PM
It strikes me as funny that some of the seemingly "touchiest" members would pine for the "volatile" days.I was thinking the exact same thing - is it just funny to read some other people argue like hell, as long as you dont get any heat yourself? If thats what the good old days is about, then there should be plenty of boards out there - and its certainly not something I miss around here.

What I do miss is the frequency of posting - on sundays, nothing really happens at all and back in the day you could always log in and find some 25 new posts pr hour - now its like theres some 5 new posts pr hour. On the plus side, theres always a person to discuss films with in here, but you have to give it some work yourself. If you start to write something like "Lets agree to disagree" as soon as someone states their opinion, then it should be no surprise that you cant get a good discussion in here.

Matt A
01-18-2007, 01:26 PM

I say that after you've been here for a certain amount of time, like, I don't know, a year, you can create an alter ego and post under that name as well, as long this other person has views that oppose yours. People already think I'm Alyss N. so I'll be Allison Matthews and I'll only post once every few weeks in the Asian forum.

Fred Adelman
01-18-2007, 02:00 PM
I'm always ready for an intellectual arguement, but once it gets to the name-calling stage, I will just back out. As Gary said, If I want a name-calling, in-your-face debate, I'll turn on the Fox Network or MSNBC. Life is too short to put up with inane bullshit.

I do have a nasty temper, though, which a lot of my early posts will show. I'm glad that political discussions are no longer allowed, since those debates are the ones that get the nastiest and end up doing the most harm to everyone. I made the mistake of getting into one when I first signed-up and, if it wasn't for Ian reading me the riot act, I would have exploded. People usually put into words what their emotions are feeling at the time and usually regret it right after they click on the "Submit" button. I thing reeling it in before it becomes a problem beyond repair is a good thing.

Fred Adelman
01-18-2007, 02:02 PM
People already think I'm Alyss N. so I'll be Allison Matthews and I'll only post once every few weeks in the Asian forum.

All Ian has to do is check the IP address of the poster to see if it matches anyone else. I never for once thought you were Alyss.

She's nice! :p

Matt A
01-18-2007, 02:13 PM
All Ian has to do is check the IP address of the poster to see if it matches anyone else. I never for once thought you were Alyss.

She's nice! :p

HA! HA! HA!

fucker

Actually it was Ian Miller and one other person who accused me of being Alyss. It might have been Alyss herself! :p

John G.
01-18-2007, 02:20 PM
Despite often engaging in political discussions (I've mellowed out politically since then), I was one of the biggest supporters in having them removed from this website when it came time for a vote. As others have stated, they caused the most problems, and things have been much more polite since then. I have to say that I really regretted saying a lot of the things I did back then, not simply because I don't agree with almost all of it these days, but because I offended a lot of members whose opinions on music and movies I otherwised value (and still do). I look at that aspect of my time here with utter embaressment these days.

Chad Haden
01-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I prefer the way things are now with a group of grown-ups who don't have to resort to petty name calling or childish insults like "cRap" to make their point. This forum is a place to come and unwind and just talk to people about stuff you like, I personally never found the spats between Michael and Joe to be even the least bit amusing and frankly I'm glad they're both gone.

Matt A
01-18-2007, 02:31 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I prefer the way things are now with a group of grown-ups who don't have to resort to petty name calling or childish insults like "cRap" to make their point. This forum is a place to come and unwind and just talk to people about stuff you like, I personally never found the spats between Michael and Joe to be even the least bit amusing and frankly I'm glad they're both gone.

Shut the cRap up, you pee-pee doodler. Nobody cares what you think, coyote democrat. :mad: :mad:

Bill Pissott
01-18-2007, 02:34 PM
Michael and Joe went at it quite a bit, not just amongst themselves but others as well, including me. Sure, it may have went too far sometimes but I think they both bought a wealth of movie knowledge to the table as well as humor, and with Michael, a large bit of music knowledge as well. I understand people being happy they are gone and being glad they never came back but I wouldn't mind seeing them stop by.

Chad Haden
01-18-2007, 02:34 PM
Shut the cRap up, you pee-pee doodler. Nobody cares what you think, coyote democrat. :mad: :mad:

How about I just slap the fucking shit out of you, hippie? :mad:

mark t
01-18-2007, 02:37 PM
How about I just slap the fucking shit out of you, hippie? :mad:

I've never met either of you face to face, but that visual totally cracked me up. :)

Chad Haden
01-18-2007, 02:38 PM
They did both have a fair knowledge of movies and Michael knew alot about Bob Dylan & Aerosmith, but speaking as someone who met Michael face to face a few times, he was a pretty cocky fella.

Chad Haden
01-18-2007, 02:39 PM
I've never met either of you face to face, but that visual totally cracked me up. :)

Good, cause you're gonna hold him down while I smack him...unless you want some too?

Bill Pissott
01-18-2007, 02:42 PM
They did both have a fair knowledge of movies and Michael knew alot about Bob Dylan & Aerosmith, but speaking as someone who met Michael face to face a few times, he was a pretty cocky fella.

One of the few people I could talk Springsteen boots with and not get a wiseass crack about it :)

Matt A
01-18-2007, 02:43 PM
Guys, stop. Seriously. Don't get all "DVD Maniacs '04" here. We all deserve a slap...except me. :mad:

mark t
01-18-2007, 02:44 PM
Good, cause you're gonna hold him down while I smack him...unless you want some too?

Oh no, I'm definitely with you....

Matt A
01-18-2007, 02:45 PM
I'll rape you both, fuckers!

Chad Haden
01-18-2007, 02:45 PM
One of the few people I could talk Springsteen boots with and not get a wiseass crack about it :)

I like the Seeger Sessions :)

Chad Haden
01-18-2007, 02:46 PM
Guys, stop. Seriously. Don't get all "DVD Maniacs '04" here. We all deserve a slap...except me. :mad:

'04? How about I go '02 on you motherfucker?

Chad Haden
01-18-2007, 02:47 PM
Oh no, I'm definitely with you....

I love you Mark

Chad Haden
01-18-2007, 02:47 PM
I'll rape you both, fuckers!

You won't rape anything, tree hugger. Why don't you go listen to some John Denver and drink a soy latte?

Matt A
01-18-2007, 02:48 PM

I hear that the Boss is into anal full Nelsons. He calls 'em the "Jersey pot hole filler." Ask Patty what'sherface.

(Sorry, Bill ;) )

John G.
01-18-2007, 02:50 PM
You can't just say something like that and not elaborate on it... you just CAN'T!

Christoffer S
01-18-2007, 02:58 PM
That is very true Chad.. we wanna hear more!

Randy Thomas G
01-18-2007, 03:02 PM

Who doesn't like the Boss? :mad:

Chad Haden
01-18-2007, 03:07 PM
It was just the way he carried himself and talked whenever I was around him, I mean there's a difference between being confident and being arrogant and you can pick up on it by body language.

Bill Pissott
01-18-2007, 03:08 PM

Well, that's something :)

Bill Pissott
01-18-2007, 03:10 PM
I hear that the Boss is into anal full Nelsons. He calls 'em the "Jersey pot hole filler." Ask Patty what'sherface.

(Sorry, Bill ;) )

That's ok Allison. I know it's hard to resist sometimes.

Bill Pissott
01-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Who doesn't like the Boss? :mad:

I think you'd find a few folks who fit that description.

Chad Haden
01-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Matthew Allison is a hippie..and now the good kind either

Matt A
01-18-2007, 03:23 PM
It was just the way he carried himself and talked whenever I was around him, I mean there's a difference between being confident and being arrogant and you can pick up on it by body language.

He raped you and put you in an anal full Nelson, didn't he?

mark t
01-18-2007, 03:32 PM
I think you'd find a few folks who fit that description.

Yeah, i'm not a fan of Bruce. I can, however, see why people like him, so i wouldn't smartass you for liking him. U2, on the other hand.... :)

Fred Adelman
01-18-2007, 03:38 PM
Being for New Jersey, you couldn't help but hear Bruce every time you turned on the radio or walked into a bar during the 70's & 80's.

That's why I can't stand him. Overplayed. That and my best friend used to sing all his songs when he was drunk. Which was every night.

Chad Haden
01-18-2007, 03:39 PM
He raped you and put you in an anal full Nelson, didn't he?

What's your obsession with anal rape, hippie?

Matt A
01-18-2007, 03:42 PM
What's your obsession with anal rape, hippie?

It's all those anal rape videos I've been watching.

Chad Haden
01-18-2007, 03:49 PM
It's all those anal rape videos I've been watching.

Shouldn't you be working or making sweet love to your woman or something?

John G.
01-18-2007, 03:52 PM
I think Michael, Joe and aspect ratios have been replaced with Chad, Matthew and anal rape.

Mike Brown
01-18-2007, 03:54 PM
I think Michael, Joe and aspect ratios have been replaced with Chad, Matthew and anal rape.

It's really a beautiful thing. :eek:

mark t
01-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Being for New Jersey, you couldn't help but hear Bruce every time you turned on the radio or walked into a bar during the 70's & 80's.

That's why I can't stand him. Overplayed. That and my best friend used to sing all his songs when he was drunk. Which was every night.

Did he do that tune 57 Channels and nothin' on? I used to live in this totally ghetto apartment building, and i was leaving for work one morning at about 3 a.m., and the dude who lived downstairs was drunkenly belting that out with no backup at all.

It was heavenly.

mark t
01-18-2007, 03:57 PM
aspect ratios

I just thought of some of the aspect ratio arguments I used to have with Michael involving Kubrick, and almost vomited.

Bill Pissott
01-18-2007, 04:27 PM
Yeah, i'm not a fan of Bruce. I can, however, see why people like him, so i wouldn't smartass you for liking him. U2, on the other hand.... :)

Thank you Tolch. As for U2, I'm starting to get tired of them and Bono's rants actually. I'll still pop in some old stuff now and then but sometimes nowadays, I have a hard time looking at them.

Mike Brown
01-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Thank you Tolch. As for U2, I'm starting to get tired of them and Bono's rants actually. I'll still pop in some old stuff now and then but sometimes nowadays, I have a hard time looking at them.

I still listen to Boy and October on occasion.

Troy Howarth
01-18-2007, 05:49 PM
Going back to what I was saying yesterday - and I think the fact that I was in a bad mood resulted in a less than tactful tone - I think the ingredients are all here for terrific conversation. The problem is that too many people just don't give a shit. There's plenty to be said, and I think if we all worked a little harder and tried to actually get interesting conversation going we wouldn't need to pine for the so-called good old days. The past is past - we need to press on, and we won't get anywhere by allowing ourselves to stagnate. That's more or less the long and the short of it, as I see it. :)

Matt A
01-18-2007, 05:51 PM
Going back to what I was saying yesterday - and I think the fact that I was in a bad mood resulted in a less than tactful tone - I think the ingredients are all here for terrific conversation. The problem is that too many people just don't give a shit. There's plenty to be said, and I think if we all worked a little harder and tried to actually get interesting conversation going we wouldn't need to pine for the so-called good old days. The past is past - we need to press on, and we won't get anywhere by allowing ourselves to stagnate. That's more or less the long and the short of it, as I see it. :)

When my copy of DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS/BLOOD-SPATTERED BRIDE shows up and I've given it a spin, you and I will chew the fat. Bet on it, buster booty! ;)

Troy Howarth
01-18-2007, 05:54 PM
I'll be looking forward to it. I've plenty to say on both films, believe you me. :)

Matt A
01-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Well, they both have a strong 70's vibe, that's fer sher. :p

Troy Howarth
01-19-2007, 05:19 PM
You rascal, you! :D

Randy Thomas G
01-19-2007, 11:41 PM

But Fred...NEBRASKA!!!!

Fred Adelman
01-20-2007, 12:22 AM
But Fred...NEBRASKA!!!!

One of the most over-hyped albums in recording history. I can't help but get bored every time I hear it. JMO, but I know a lot of other people who feel the same.

Randy Thomas G
01-20-2007, 12:31 AM
I know what you mean about Bruce being overhyped, but I always thought he was lame (I'm not a fan of Born to Run or Born in the USA) until I picked up Nebraska for a buck from a budget bin and was completely blind-sided by the song-writing.

Fred Adelman
01-20-2007, 12:47 AM
I know what you mean about Bruce being overhyped, but I always thought he was lame (I'm not a fan of Born to Run or Born in the USA) until I picked up Nebraska for a buck from a budget bin and was completely blind-sided by the song-writing.

If I wanted to hear about death, desperation and giving up hope, I would watch the evening news.

Or the Prog Rock posts on this board. :D

Seriously, the song-writing may be good, but I don't want to feel bummed-out (and reaching for the razor) after listening to an album. Some people do, but not me. I think a lot of Neil Young's tunes do the same thing, but goes down a lot easier ("Helpless", etc.).

Randy Thomas G
01-20-2007, 04:19 PM
I think a lot of Neil Young's tunes do the same thing, but goes down a lot easier ("Helpless", etc.).

I'll always remember in THE LAST WALTZ when Neil Young says they should sing 'the song about Canada' and it ends up being 'Helpless.' :cool: