PDA

View Full Version : Do you live paycheck to paycheck?

Jason P
01-16-2007, 01:45 AM
No, not a get rich quick scam.. Just a question for those who do. How do you do it? I once had a good job and made good money, was able to afford a house, bought stacks of DVDs without worrying about the cost of it all but had a nice shock when I went to pay bills recently. I'm broke. The taxes on my house and car problems lately have really hurt and now I'm finding that I can't pay my gas bill until my next check comes. I've never been in this situation before since before I made this money that I had, I lived with my parents and never spent any because I just didn't have any.. Now I don't know what to do or how to live like this.. May seem like a pretty basic question but its one thats really stressing me out lately. I guess I can figure up the cost of my monthly bills and take a set amount out every month for expenses on top of that and just not spend over that in order to save a little every month. Thats the best I have right now. Anybody have any idea or advice? Want to tell me that I suck? :)

Christoffer S
01-16-2007, 05:34 AM
Well ofcourse payday is the most important day of the month. And no, I never manage to stop myself from spending it all until a week or so before the next one comes :(

Wim C.
01-16-2007, 05:38 AM
First week of the month = spend spend spend !! Last three weeks I try and survive on cheap pasta till the next paycheck.

Jason Allen
01-16-2007, 08:11 AM
Make a budget. Rent/Bills come first, figure out how much for groceries to last you until next check. Figure in other expenses like gasoline, etc. Try to eleminate shit you don't need, like fast food, or cel phones. Rent movies rather than buy. Stay out of bars. If you want liquor, buy it somewhere cheap like Wal*Mart and just drink at home.
My wife and I are able to take care of all of our expenses and still have money to spend afterward. You might have to cut back more than you like, but after a little while you won't notice, or even care. Hope this helps.

Eric A
01-16-2007, 09:08 AM
Yes, I live paycheck to paycheck.

Christoffer S
01-16-2007, 09:18 AM
After todays groceries, I have $6 until the 25th. YAY! :D

Richard C
01-16-2007, 09:36 AM
I live at home with my folks and it's both a burden and a blessing. The blessing is that even though I pay rent I don't have to worry about all the other bills but I do help chip in with my parents. The burden is that I'm 28 and the house prices in the UK have increased 65% in one year and inflation has increased making bills more expensive. So if I can't afford to get a place of my own now and prices keep increasing I'm never going to leave home!

Anyone know any single rich women looking for a skinny guy with crap health?.....

Paul A J Lewis
01-16-2007, 11:11 AM
I live at home with my folks and it's both a burden and a blessing. The blessing is that even though I pay rent I don't have to worry about all the other bills but I do help chip in with my parents. The burden is that I'm 28 and the house prices in the UK have increased 65% in one year and inflation has increased making bills more expensive. So if I can't afford to get a place of my own now and prices keep increasing I'm never going to leave home!
House prices will plummet within the next couple of years, Richard, especially with how rapidly the Bank of England seem to be putting up interest rates (which rose 0.25% last week, to 5.25%).

I budget fairly carefully. A number of my bills are paid via direct debit; and companies usually offer a little discount as an incentive to pay via dd. I've also arranged it so that most of them go out on the second or third of the month, a day or two after I get paid. Consequently, most of my bills are paid within the first week of the month, and any money I have left over after that can be spent on (a) luxury stuff, (b) food, or (c) saved.

Still, just about every month I find a bill arrives that I've forgotten about.

First of all, however, you need to document your financial commitments each month: what absolutely must be paid--your mortgage, your gas and electricity, travel to and from work. Once those priorities have been listed, factor in how much you reckon to spend on food each month. That'll give you a good idea exactly how much you have left over.

Chris Poggiali
01-16-2007, 01:05 PM
I lived paycheck-to-paycheck while in college and again while I was in grad school. I don't miss those days at all.

Scott Ruhl
01-16-2007, 01:53 PM
Basically, yes. But I like to spend money.

Isaac K.
01-16-2007, 05:06 PM
Yes I do. We haven't managed to save a single dime since buying our house. It needs a ton of work and we can't afford anything more than the most basic of repairs. Fortunately we're getting 3 grand or so back from taxes and that will help a little. Looking forward to having my wife's student loans paid off in a year or so but really what I need to do is to find a higher paying job that gives cost of living raises and doesn't get a fixed annual budget from the state government.