PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Crenshaw Does Buddy Holly

Bill Pissott
01-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Just a quick detour from my music thread boycott. A one time only affair.

I love Buddy Holly but I gotta say that this is my favorite version of my favorite Holly song. Crenshaw nails it with the help of a pretty interesting backing band. Enjoy.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4mswXirHfN4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4mswXirHfN4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

mark t
01-14-2007, 12:25 PM
I love Crenshaw on the LA BAMBA soundtrack, he gets that Buddy vibe down perfectly. (And that strat he's got is very similar to my old one, now gone away). I couldn't ever choose over Buddy's original track, but he does a great job.

Bill Pissott
01-14-2007, 12:52 PM
OK, you're going to think this sounds stupid but, first let me state that I love Holly's version also. It's really an upbeat, kinda fun song. The stupid part is that I like Crenshaw's version because he throws in the "Doo-doo-doo" after Crying and Waiting vocally as opposed to Holly doing it on the guitar. I also think Crenshaw's short solo is a blast. Strange huh? :)

mark t
01-14-2007, 01:22 PM
OK, you're going to think this sounds stupid but, first let me state that I love Holly's version also. It's really an upbeat, kinda fun song. The stupid part is that I like Crenshaw's version because he throws in the "Doo-doo-doo" after Crying and Waiting vocally as opposed to Holly doing it on the guitar. I also think Crenshaw's short solo is a blast. Strange huh? :)

Not strange, your opinion. I personally prefer the Doo-doo-doo line on the guitar, but that's just me. I dig 'em both though, and covering Buddy Holly is no small task...the man is a LEGEND.

Just re-reading the Waylon Jennings autobiography, and he talks about how he was supposed to be on the plane with Holly that night....The Big Bopper asked Waylon to sell him his seat, because he was not feeling well. Waylon agreed, and Buddy was ribbing him, calling him too chicken to fly....according to Jennings, Buddy then said, "Well, i hope that ol' bus freezes up on you", and Waylon answered, "Well, I hope your ol' plane crashes". Took him awhile to get over that, I guess.

Bill Pissott
01-14-2007, 01:26 PM
I remember reading that Jennings situation somewhere. I think I even saw something on it while watching and A&E Biography or something. Talk about major survivors guilt. So, it's also absolutely true that Valens got the last plane seat by winning a coin toss?

Michael Greenwood
01-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Who is the band? Is it Rockpile or should I know the ones that aren't Dave Edmunds?

'Blues Is King' by Crenshaw is a fantastic song.

mark t
01-14-2007, 01:29 PM
I remember reading that Jennings situation somewhere. I think I even saw something on it while watching and A&E Biography or something. Talk about major survivors guilt. So, it's also absolutely true that Valens got the last plane seat by winning a coin toss?

That, i'm not entirely sure about.

Bill Pissott
01-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Who is the band? Is it Rockpile or should I know the ones that aren't Dave Edmunds?

'Blues Is King' by Crenshaw is a fantastic song.

I don't think it's Rockpile 'cause I don't see Nick Lowe anywhere in the video. I just thought it was interesting to see Crenshaw come up and jam with Edmunds and his band.