PDA

View Full Version : Classic Country Poll Round 1: George Jones vs. Merle Haggard

Chad Haden
01-09-2007, 01:09 PM
http://www.franktrainor.com/tributes_memories/images/george_jones.jpg

http://www.rhino.com/fun/henrydiltz/sept/5big_sept.jpg

We've had a ton of Rock n Roll Survivor polls so I decided to do something for fans of good Country music and round 1 pits the Possum against the Hag, they've both had long careers full of crazy stories and beautiful songs.

Who you gonna vote for?

I'm going for George myself

Chad Haden
01-09-2007, 01:36 PM
I see, just wait till Miller gets here

William R.
01-09-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm goin' with Merle.

Ian Jane
01-09-2007, 02:26 PM
I see, just wait till Miller gets here

His head will explode. I love'em both, but I've gotta go with Merle. George's early stuff is great, but he's also got a lot of crap out there whereas Merle doesn't have as much crap in his discography. Plus I think he'd win in a fight.

Chad Haden
01-09-2007, 02:29 PM
George has "He Stopped Loving Her Today"

Mike Brown
01-09-2007, 02:34 PM
I think Merle would win in a fight too. I bet they'd both fight dirty.

mark t
01-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Merle...no fuckin' question.

Mike Howlett
01-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Make mine Merle!

Alyss N.
01-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Merle was definitely a badass. :cool:

jeff henry
01-09-2007, 05:37 PM
My votes for Hag.

Ian Jane
01-09-2007, 06:02 PM
Merle was definitely a badass. :cool:

He still is.

Matt A
01-09-2007, 06:21 PM
I can't vote because I told Chad I thought Merle was the dude on Dukes of Hazzard, but...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/matthewallison/5big_sept.jpg

Michael Greenwood
01-09-2007, 09:28 PM
I love Merle but George Jones is the fucking man. He and Tammy?! Good God! It's George all the way for me and one more if I could vote for my father as well.

Alyss N.
01-09-2007, 10:21 PM
He still is.

Indeed. INdeed.

J. Harte
01-10-2007, 02:20 AM
THE POSSUM. FYI Jimmy 'Ghastly One' McDonough's next book is Tammy Wynette. THAT I want to read!

Don Guarisco
01-10-2007, 03:11 AM
George has "He Stopped Loving Her Today"

... but Merle has "Fightin' Side Of Me." Given your habit of ending disputes with a punch to the face, I think that deep down you really identify with Merle more than you do George.

Don't get me wrong - George has his place in the pantheon of brilliance and "He Stopped Loving Her Today" is one of the best melodramas in all of country music, a genre built on melodramatic tunes. But "No Show" Jones could have had an even greater career if he didn't spent so much time goofing off. In the final analysis, Merle is just more consistent, at least to these ears.

And yeah, if Haggard and Jones had to fight each other, Merle would drop George like a bad habit.

Joe N.
01-10-2007, 03:34 AM
I'm going with Jones. Christ, he rode a lawn mower to the liquor store after being denied keys to his car!

Randy Thomas G
01-10-2007, 03:34 AM
Merle is a great, great songwriter but I had to go with George because when he's on I think he's just greater than Merle, which is hard to admit but those duets with Tammy and 'Cup of Loneliness' are just painfully good.

Nick Tosches wrote a bit on Jones (I think it was in his book on Emmett Miller) as a jerk whose genius is like some kind of divine grace outside of his own understanding.

Steve Greenfield
01-10-2007, 04:17 AM
I too went with Merle because I guess I have more of his stuff than George's. But George did record the greatest country song ever, "He Stopped Loving Her Today".

Man! That was a tough one! Should have made it easy like Merle Haggard vs. Tim McGraw!

I know, wouldn't be a contest then. Think Merle at his age could take on Tim McGraw in a bar room fight? :rolleyes:

mark t
01-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Last night I told Chad that Merle was better than George, and Chad got fightin' mad. I think that if he would've been able to, he would've punched me in the head.

Ian Miller
01-10-2007, 02:35 PM
This poll sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

There is NO WAY you're gonna make me choose, therefore I say............

http://www.pamphletpress.org/images/music/johnny_paycheck_on_his_way.jpg

mark t
01-10-2007, 02:51 PM
I think that Dave Mustaine inherited his sweaters from Johnny Paycheck.

Ian Jane
01-10-2007, 02:53 PM
This poll sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

There is NO WAY you're gonna make me choose, therefore I say............

You have to, or else you're a pussy and it means you hate them both.

Ian Miller
01-10-2007, 03:17 PM
GEORGE JONES is the greatest living country singer, without a doubt. Without his contribution, the genre would NOT be the same, and his vocal dynamics are still boss, in terms of range, style, and total audacity, he is pretty much unmatched (though I agree with the Tosches comment, though that's what makes him so special, because if he had ever stopped to analyze just what it was that he was doing, it would have ruined everything). he is the King, and the last of his kind.

However, Merle just may be the greatest living country singer and WRITER, not to mention that the very best of all his material was produced, written and performed by a small-knit and relable group of people, which goes a long way toward achieving the consistency that he has enjoyed over the years, and he had this not-so-secret weapon:

http://www.shownet.com.au/cowboys/images/roy_nichols.jpg

God bless Roy Nichols, and God bless Merle Haggard.

Now, El Chaddo, get on to some MORE INTERESTING CHOICES, where I don't have to pick my favorite child, or guitar string, JEEZ!

Ian Miller
01-10-2007, 03:18 PM
In case yu'r wondering, I voted for Merle.

Chad Haden
01-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Last night I told Chad that Merle was better than George, and Chad got fightin' mad. I think that if he would've been able to, he would've punched me in the head.

Yeah, I was pretty well in the bag.

mark t
01-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I was pretty well in the bag.

We can sort it out in March. Over carbombs.

Ian Miller
01-10-2007, 03:28 PM
How 'bout these mofos?

http://www.louisianamusicfactory.com/images/product/2628.jpg

Zane C.
01-10-2007, 11:05 PM
Jesus, this is agonizing!!!! :eek:

This is like picking between two equally amazing options. WHY? WHY?!!! :D

Having seen both of these guys in concert, this is a next to impossible call. George put on a hell of a show, and sang hit after hit, but clearly is slowing down. Merle sang hit after hit as well, but he was tanked, and didn't sound as good as he could have. He was actually a little disappointing, which made me sad, as he's been a favorite of mine for years. Nonetheless, I have to go with Merle in this vote. He's still putting out decent music, and has quite the legacy behind him. So does George, but he loses points for the bad form he showed in the past, earning him the moniker "No Show Jones". He's the "King of Country", but Merle edges him out ever so slightly, I think.

Choosing between these two is tough - it's really a draw, but if it's a must-vote situation like this, Merle's got the upper hand - even if only by a bit!

Jonathan Douglas
01-11-2007, 01:20 AM
Merle sings the theme to this trucker series, MOVIN' ON (1974-1976), somewhat forgotten show now but I liked it.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nvJFJya49aE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nvJFJya49aE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Chad Haden
01-11-2007, 04:26 PM
We can sort it out in March. Over carbombs.

Y'know, a buddy of mine just refreshed my memory and that wasn't the first time I was drunk and wanted to whip somebody's ass for insulting George Jones. It appears that a few years ago I was at a party with some friends and one of them insulted George Jones AND Waylon Jennings so I threw a bottle of beer at him and told him I'd knock his goddamn teeth out if he didn't show my fellow Texans some respect.

mark t
01-11-2007, 04:38 PM
In my defense, Chad, i didn't insult George...I just said that I liked Merle better. I only started insulting George when you started calling me a fuckhead and threatening to fight me. :)

Chad Haden
01-11-2007, 04:42 PM
In my defense, Chad, i didn't insult George...I just said that I liked Merle better. I only started insulting George when you started calling me a fuckhead and threatening to fight me. :)

I blame my appreciation for George and his reckless lifestyle, maybe I'll start talking like Deedoodle Duck soon :eek:

Honestly, I've been listening to more Merle lately. Those Capitol remasters are kicking my ass.