PDA

View Full Version : Spidey - Kraven`s Last Hunt

Andrew Monroe
01-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Anyone else a fan of this story? I have fond memories of dragging my then girlfriend around to convenience stores hunting for the issues (it ran in all 3 of the Spiderman books). Several years later, I sold it along with a bunch of other comics. I picked up the new hardcover edition of it w/a gift card...the tale holds up incredibly well! One of the darkest Spidey stories for sure, taking a minor villain in Kraven and turning him into a scary, yet tragic madman. Even more horror comes into the story from Vermin, a cannibal rat/man. The final battle between Spidey and Vermin in the sewer is killer stuff. I`ve always liked J.M. DeMatteis, and this might be his best story. Zeck`s art is super cool as well. This run has been called possibly the finest Spiderman story ever, and I`m inclined to agree. It would make one hell of a film if done with care.

Scott Ruhl
01-09-2007, 09:58 AM
This is my favorite Spidey story also, and possibly my favorite super-hero story. When I was younger I to went all over trying to get the whole story then later sold them and picked up the hardcover which I still have. I think it's also the last great Spider-man story before Venom/McFarlane came along and changed everything.

The 3-part follow-up story "What's The Matter With Mommy" is even more twisted. With Peter Parker losing his memory and ending up in an insane asylum.

David Huber
01-09-2007, 10:14 AM
I was a big comics reader when I was little in the 70s, but I "grew out" of them in high school and sold all my stuff in '83. Then a few years later I picked up an issue of Spidey on a whim (at a 7-11), and it blew me away because it seemed so 'mature'; it was one of the Kraven issues. Like you, I ended up scouring the 7-11s for the rest of the issues, and that got me back into Marvel comics, which led to independents, underground comix, graphic novels, comic book stores, etc. Now that I think about it, I met some people through the comic book store I hung out at that are now close friends and pretty influential in some of my current extracurricular activites. All because of a Spidey comic on a whim- you know, the "road not taken" and all that.

Anyway, the Kraven arc was awesome, and apparently has changed my life without realizing it!

Andrew Monroe
01-09-2007, 10:39 AM
It`s interesting how you both mention hunting down the issues, that really is a HUGE part of the fun of collecting anything. My girlfriend and I would sometimes go to Charlotte or Columbia for a weekend, and we both had a blast hitting the stores there, searching the racks. She really got into it too, getting all excited when we found one. I guess this story was revolutionary in a way too, running across all 3 titles, something that`s common now but not then.

Matt A
01-09-2007, 10:42 AM
It's been a while since I read this story so I can't comment too much but I will say that Mike Zeck is really an underrated artist. His work on this, as well as the Punisher limited series, is great. I wish he was back on a Spider-man title.

Ian Jane
01-09-2007, 11:08 AM
Mike Zeck was fantastic in the 80s and 90s. Whatever happened to him? Kraven's Last Hunt was really solid. I still remember the way the drums were worked into the text, it was kind of creepy. It was much darker than you'd have expected from a Spidey story at the time. Good stuff. I should re-read it.

Matt A
01-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Mike Zeck was fantastic in the 80s and 90s. Whatever happened to him?

He has a website where he sells original art and recreations of his famous covers, often substituting characters at your request like this recreation of the Captain America Annual #8 cover with Batman instead of Wolverine.

Gary Banks
01-09-2007, 12:15 PM
Classic stuff and probably the best Spider Man story since the silver age if not all time.

I really liked the black costume too.

Andrew Monroe
01-09-2007, 12:22 PM
You guys should definitely re-read it! This was my first re-read since the original run, and I sat down Sunday with it and couldn`t put it down `til I was through. It holds up really well.

It`s funny, I consider myself way more of a DC guy overall, but 2 of my maybe top 5 stories are Marvel, this and Miller`s Born Again Daredevil story (others would include Alan Moore`s For The Man Who Has Everything Supes story and the #1/2 issue of Busiek`s Astro City -- the only comic story I`ve read that actually made me tear up--...have to think about the last of the top 5).

That`s a great cover Matthew!

Was Kraven`s Last Hunt issued in hardcover before? I know there was a tpb, but I thought this new hardcover was the first.

Scott Ruhl
01-09-2007, 12:33 PM
It was issued as a hardcover shortly after the original issues came out. The softcover came later I believe. I love the cover for the HC.

Andrew Monroe
01-09-2007, 12:42 PM
It was issued as a hardcover shortly after the original issues came out. The softcover came later I believe. I love the cover for the HC.

Thanks, Scott.

This is the cover for the new one:
http://www.comichole.com/img/items/114943960142297900.jpg

Scott Ruhl
01-09-2007, 12:49 PM
I've never seen that'

This is the cover I was tom'bout....
http://i21.ebayimg.com/06/i/07/fd/ff/92_1_b.JPG

Andrew Monroe
01-09-2007, 12:55 PM
That`s an eye-catcher, no doubt. Here is yet another one (looks to be a hardcover), dunno when this one came out:

http://www.comichole.com/img/items/114943962194958800.jpg

Matt A
01-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Anyone have the scoop on this?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/matthewallison/kravenepilog.jpg

Andrew Monroe
01-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Wow, I`m just a tad intrigued! The scoop is needed!

By the way, I forgot to mention, in his introduction for this new edition, DeMatteis tells how this was originally a Simon "Wonder Man" Williams story, with his brother The Grim Reaper killing and burying him. It was rejected. He then pitched it as A Batman story with the Joker...shot down because of the impending publication of The Killing Joke. Then he re-pitched it as bats and Hugo Strange...nadda. THEN came Spidey.

Scott Ruhl
01-09-2007, 02:11 PM
Anyone have the scoop on this?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/matthewallison/kravenepilog.jpg

Never seen or heard of that before so I did a search and came up with this:

Soul Of The Hunter
Due to the success of this story, a sequel of sorts was created in 1992 called Soul Of The Hunter, written again by DeMatteis and drawn by Mike Zeck. In this story, Spider-Man is confronted by Kraven's ghost. Unsure what to make of this apparition, Spider-Man goes to Kraven's grave, where he sees an apparition that appears to be Death. Death tells Spider-Man that he and Kraven share a spiritual bond, and that Kraven's soul cannot find the peace it craves because of Kraven's suicide. Spider-Man is then forced to confront Kraven's body from the grave. Spider-Man appears to be ready to submit to allowing himself to be dragged down with the body, but then fights back and makes his way back to the surface. Having done so, he has freed Kraven's soul and allowed it to find its final rest.

Scott Ruhl
01-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Also found this info on an issue of WHAT IF?

What If?
In an issue of the marvel alternative history title, What If?, Kraven uses real bullets instead of tranquilizers, thus killing Spider-Man and assuming his place. Eventually, at the request of Mary Jane, Daredevil, Captain America, and the Human Torch all confront Kraven, who eventually returns to Spider-Man's grave, digs him up, and though not directly shown, it is implied he consumes portions of Peter's body to gain his strength. Afterwards, Mary Jane holds a press conference to attempt to clear Peter's name of Kraven's time as Spider-Man, with the issue ending on the note that Mary Jane has a lot of work ahead of her.

Andrew Monroe
01-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Nice work there diggin` all that up. I`m not so sure I`d be interested in reading either one of those though, the more I think about it. I think it`s best to just leave the original story as is (though it sure ain`t no shock that a comics company would dry hump that cash cow).