PDA

View Full Version : Death metal

Bård Haugland
01-04-2007, 05:16 PM
Recently, I almost exclusively listened to techincal death metal, with exception of some old Death and a few other bands, but now lately, I've been checking out more and more of the straight stuff, like Morbid Angel, Immolation, Dismember, and so on. What else should I check out? I saw a Obituary cd at the record-store today, how are they?

Eric A
01-04-2007, 06:28 PM
I wouldn't necessarily say that Morbid Angel and Immolation are NOT technical. Trey, crazy as he may be, writes some extremely complex music.

For more straight forward death metal, check out Cancer, Bolt Thrower, older Obituary, Possessed (though they fall under black metal as well, IMO), Malevolent Creation (older), Suffocation (though they're quite technical as well).

Patrick B.
01-04-2007, 06:49 PM
I saw a Obituary cd at the record-store today, how are they?

Arnold metal. You'll know what I mean if you download ''Chopped In Half''.

K August
01-04-2007, 09:32 PM
BOLT THROWER...

uncompromising, brutal and even a bit of melody.

Randy Thomas G
01-05-2007, 02:03 AM
HUMAN REMAINS were great, although I don't think I'd call them straight-ahead...

Early Entombed (the Nihlist demos were recently released on CD) and Brazillian thrash/death like early Sepultura and Massacre are fun. I prefer the earliest, most primitive forms of death metal, after the innovations of Death (who I also like) things get a little to samey and repetitive stylistically for me.

Damian P
01-05-2007, 02:10 AM
Obituary's Cause of Death is a favorite of mine. Some prefer the rawer Slowly We Rot but for my money Cause... is tops.

Bård Haugland
01-05-2007, 02:30 AM
I wouldn't necessarily say that Morbid Angel and Immolation are NOT technical. Trey, crazy as he may be, writes some extremely complex music.

For more straight forward death metal, check out Cancer, Bolt Thrower, older Obituary, Possessed (though they fall under black metal as well, IMO), Malevolent Creation (older), Suffocation (though they're quite technical as well).

I've already checked out Possessed, Malevolent Creation and Suffocation, great bands. Been meaning to check out Bolt Thrower for a while, so I'll do that. Obituary will also be checked out. Sepultura and Massacre, I don't think I've heard more than one song of both of 'em, the Sepultura one was a cover, but both bands sounded good.

Tom K
01-05-2007, 03:44 AM
Everybody's opinion will differ...

For example, I pretty much have no time for anything after 1992...

Most people think I'm nuts, but I like what I like...

One band I will always recommend is Autopsy...crusty death metal that is sick as fuck...not too fast, not too slow, and not too technical...just right...

Josh S
01-05-2007, 04:48 AM
What makes death metal different from say regular heavy metal?

Bård Haugland
01-05-2007, 05:00 AM
Deep vocals (cookie monster vocals, some call it), blast beats, fast guitars, often with a crunchy guitar-sound. Lyrics is often about death, blood and gore. Not nescesarrily all of these elements are present, but these are some tht is typical.

Eric A
01-05-2007, 08:59 AM
What makes death metal different from say regular heavy metal?

Listen to an Iron Maiden song, then listen to an Obituary song. The difference should be pretty obvious :p

Tim Mayer
01-06-2007, 03:11 AM
And how does it differ from symphonic black metal?

Lee O
01-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Too much mainstream DM on this list. Too much polished, digital studio sounds too. Check out the rawer bands that blur the line between black and death - like Blasphemy, Sarcofago, Throneum, Martire, Hoath, Descention, Revelation Of Doom, Bestial Warlust, Conqueror, Axis Of Advance, Abhorer, Abominator, Surrender Of Divinity, Impiety, Revence, Rites Of The Degringolade, Portal, Amputator, Baphomets Horn, Arkhon Infaustus, Warage, etc...

Tim Mayer
01-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Are these the bands that don't want to be listed on ANY metal guides?
I had a fun little CD by a band called Thirteen Winters from the NE USA. Raw, female death metal vocals that was good for a spin in the afternoon. Unfortunately, I left it at my last job. I only hope one of the yuppies there put it on by accident and got the scare of their life. :)

Alex E.
01-06-2007, 06:36 PM

One band I will always recommend is Autopsy...crusty death metal that is sick as fuck...not too fast, not too slow, and not too technical...just right...
I couldn't agree more. Obituary, Sepultura, Atheist, Dark Angel, Death, Coroner, Kreator, etc. Seen 'em live lotsa times. Them was some fun shows.

Nuclear Assault was cool, and I really dug Carcass. The latter's guitar attacks were ripping..

Tom K
01-06-2007, 06:57 PM
A big problem lies with all the merging of genres...there are just way too many these days...Not to mention that things get damn confusing...lol

My favorites and influences are (and are not all Death Metal bands)

Slaughter (Canada)
Mantas/old Death
Venom
Hellhammer/Celtic Frost
Master
Deathstrike
Repulsion
Sodom
Destruction
Kreator
Autopsy/Abscess
Possessed
old Metallica
old Slayer
Voivod
Sacrifice
Discharge
Doom
Amebix
Terrorizer
Impetigo

I can go on and on...

A lot of likes and dislikes can be associated to age as well...I have seen many people take a liking to extreme music and two years later, they move on to something else...I have been with it for over 20 years now...And all the stuff I listed above means something to me...So it is always with me... :)

Jonny Redman
01-06-2007, 07:47 PM
I'm not a fan of this kind of music. On the whole, when I listen to it I feel ill.

The best way I can describe it is like having my teeth dragged over sand paper whilst my fingernails are being poked with red hot needles under my cuticles.

Alex E.
01-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Definitely agree on tastes changing with age. I pretty much gave up on Death Metal after bands like Deicide came out. Nowadays, I need something uplifting. Teenage angst has long gone.

But I will always dig some classic Venom and Slayer.

"Teacher's Pet!"

Patrick B.
01-06-2007, 08:59 PM
I couldn't agree more. Obituary, Sepultura, Atheist, Dark Angel, Death, Coroner, Kreator, etc. Seen 'em live lotsa times. Them was some fun shows.

Holy Shit! Death, live. That must have been an experience.

Patrick B.
01-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Definitely agree on tastes changing with age. I pretty much gave up on Death Metal after bands like Deicide came out. Nowadays, I need something uplifting.

Nile?

Alex E.
01-06-2007, 09:38 PM
Holy Shit! Death, live. That must have been an experience.
I lost a huge chunk of skin from my elbow hitting the pavement stage diving. Like damn road burn. Later on it got infected and I had to take antibiotics.. :o

Terry Carpenter
06-05-2011, 10:53 PM
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/i8ZpJ4lvEs8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Paul Casey
06-05-2011, 11:19 PM
I pre-ordered mine. Been a fan for too long not to. I'm figuring full listens may be better than the samples, but it looks like it's gonna be worse than Domination. And to think, I was looking forward to David Vincent being back. We'll see.

Terry Carpenter
06-05-2011, 11:34 PM
Oh boy, you haven't heard anything yet Paul...

R. Olson
06-05-2011, 11:52 PM

Hell yes, IMHO, Autopsy's Mental Funeral is easily in the top 10 (maybe even top 5) greatest Death Metal albums of all time!! It's a true klassick underground masterpiece!

I'm also surprised that no one's mentioned Carnage's Dark Recollections or Grave's Into The Grave! Also essential Death Metal listening.

Jon Houghton
06-06-2011, 12:01 AM
Hell yes, IMHO, Autopsy's Mental Funeral is easily in the top 10 (maybe even top 5) greatest Death Metal albums of all time!! It's a true klassick underground masterpiece!

I'm also surprised that no one's mentioned Carnage's Dark Recollections or Grave's Into The Grave! Also essential Death Metal listening.

I think anything by Autopsy is pretty much a klassick underground masterpiece. I'm also surprised no one has mentioned Cadaver's Hallucinating Anxiety, or Atrocity's Hallucinations.

Jon Houghton
06-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Oh boy, you haven't heard anything yet Paul...

I have been reading a lot of negative reviews about the new Morbid Angel album. What gives? Is it really that bad?

Terry Carpenter
06-06-2011, 05:32 PM
Here's the first two tracks:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/saTiV_LjnsY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7feN8oHuHdM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Paul Casey
06-06-2011, 08:46 PM
hahaha Oh lordy.

Thomas D.
06-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Here's their "rap metal" song:

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/W6ZVMQayzng" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Holy shit...I think Trey and the boys are hoping the WWE hires them to write entrance music.

Paul Casey
06-06-2011, 09:35 PM
haha This shit's hysterical. I wonder how the reaction to this will be when they play it live.

Terry Carpenter
06-06-2011, 10:11 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if they'll just dance in the pit...

Strangely enough I haven't found any reviews yet(outside of some others reactions), granted it comes out tomorrow, but I figured some online sites would've gotten ahold of it.

R. Olson
06-07-2011, 12:45 AM
They'll probably play the more traditional MA songs on the disc live....

R. Olson
06-07-2011, 12:45 AM
Of the 11 trax on the album only the intro and 4 songs comprise this horrible industrial/techno style while the rest are more traditional Morbid Angel songs. Yes those trax absolutely suck, but the other songs are much much better! Here are 2 of the more klassick MA style songs on the album Blades For Baal and Existo Vulgore, see for yourself. Ignore the few crappy songs, the rest of the disc is the real Morbid Angel....

http://youtu.be/3iKRrxGoN6U
http://youtu.be/qSYBymlQa7Q

Terry Carpenter
06-07-2011, 09:29 AM
I do dig Blades.

Based on setlist.fm it's looking like they're playing the more traditional tracks, even though they haven't had a show in a couple of weeks.