PDA

View Full Version : If only everyone were so peaceful...

Mike T
09-20-2006, 09:51 AM
...as my email friend in Bangkok. Some time ago, out of a post on a Thai-based discussion forum, I picked up some much needed assistance with translation services (for my ongoing Asian review site project) from a former television industry individual who was studying marketing here in Oz. Ali has helped me immensely over time and one day, in the not too far-flung future, I'll be able to share her work with some ground-breaking (Western) information dissemination over the film career of Thailand's Prince Chatrichalerm Yukol. So, obviously, and on the back of a week old email (after months of silence) advising she was home you can imagine my shock at the news that broke out of Thailand this morning concerning the military coup that overthrew their government!

So, being the concerned soul I am, I emailed her the instant I got to work to see if everything was okay and if things had affected her in any way. This is the reply I received mid-afternoon:

"The situation here is fine. I think most Thai people are compromising in nature. We dont like violence so it is like calm revolution.

Hope everything will be all right soon."

That put things in amazing perspective for me, as well showed me a resilience in human nature that must seem completely alien to us Westerners at times. While the world reacted in shock, my friend took it in her stride (understanding, of course, that she has probably grown up with such a thing being commonplace in her local history). Nothing political meant by this at all -- just wanted to share something positive out something the world press have painted as the next best thing to the apocalypse throughout the day. :)

John G.
09-20-2006, 10:19 AM
The media hype-scare machine here is out of control, that's for sure.

Richard C
09-20-2006, 10:54 AM
The media hype-scare machine here is out of control, that's for sure.
The media here in the UK hasn't been like that. They've continually pointed out that it's been a relatively calm take-over and no bloodshed. There's been some concerned messages from Brits there (who obviously aren't used to tanks rolling through cities) but like Mike said the last Government was ousted in a coup some 15 years ago so it's nothing new to most Thai folk. From what I gather most of the population hate the bugger anyway except for those in rural areas.

Mike T
09-20-2006, 11:08 AM
From what I gather most of the population hate the bugger anyway except for those in rural areas.

Pretty much, from what I've been able to gather since I first started reading about the government issues dating way back into the year (there was serious unrest there that was well reported in the media while I was in Malaysia in May). Realistically, what occured last night was inevitable - it's been brewing for some time, if you've been keeping up with world affairs.

The Dept. of Foreign Affairs & Trade down here have issued a "defer all non-essential travel" warning citing "dangerous security" issues, and the local press are having a field day! The crap I've been seeing all day has been inferring that this will initiate "copy-cat" coups throughout surrounding regions and that virtually all of SE Asia could be on the verge of collapsing into political turmoil. What rot. Our press have turned to shit over the last couple of years: every chance they get they adopt the "keep the people scared" agenda or jump on the bandwagon to incite racial unrest and vilification. It's a shambles of sensationalist journalism... :(

But my friend set me at ease -- she was cool, calm and collected and exhibited a decent "taking it in her stride" outlook. Should be more of that, if you ask me...:)

Richard C
09-20-2006, 11:20 AM
Pretty much, from what I've been able to gather since I first started reading about the government issues dating way back into the year (there was serious unrest there that was well reported in the media while I was in Malaysia in May). Realistically, what occured last night was inevitable - it's been brewing for some time, if you've been keeping up with world affairs.

The Dept. of Foreign Affairs & Trade down here have issued a "defer all non-essential travel" warning citing "dangerous security" issues, and the local press are having a field day! The crap I've been seeing all day has been inferring that this will initiate "copy-cat" coups throughout surrounding regions and that virtually all of SE Asia could be on the verge of collapsing into political turmoil. What rot. Our press have turned to shit over the last couple of years: every chance they get they adopt the "keep the people scared" agenda or jump on the bandwagon to incite racial unrest and vilification. It's a shambles of sensationalist journalism... :(

But my friend set me at ease -- she was cool, calm and collected and exhibited a decent "taking it in her stride" outlook. Should be more of that, if you ask me...:)
The last I heard was that the UK's Foreign Office was keeping an eye on the situation but people were free to enter the country as they please. I think even the stock exchanges have settled down now after the initial confusion (and people with lots of investments are usually the first to go!).

Christoffer S
09-20-2006, 12:01 PM
I wanna orchestrate a coup in Sweden.. but since the guys I voted for won, that would be pretty pointless.