PDA

View Full Version : Socrates Drank the Conium - kick ass rock fury from Greece!

William R.
09-19-2006, 07:33 PM
What a name, huh? Gargo, I bet you're familiar with these guys. They rip.

"Socrates Drank The Conium were a Greek band, and “On The Wings” was their third album, originally issued in 1973. Psychedelic hard blues rock with ragged, rough-edged English vocals, and — this is key — UTTERLY RIPPING twin electric guitar. Definitely an early milestone in heavy acid rock guitar shred. Vangelis later joined this band, but you’d never guess there was any New Age connection from this kick ass album. The songs twist and snake around, with rockin’ and doomy riffs, dual guitar harmonies, and crazy leads — both guitarists playing entirely different, complex licks that somehow meld perfectly. Brilliant stuff. Kinda progressive and utterly powerful."

This is great stuff, the guitar work is amazing and by the second track, "Destruction" (it slays) off of the album On the Wings I was completely sold. I've been listening to these guys all afternoon.

Bill, Horace, Zane, Chad, etc. check out the album posted here (http://postpunkjunk.com/?p=155) at Post Punk Junk.

Frank Estrada
09-19-2006, 11:02 PM
WRAWLK!

John G.
09-19-2006, 11:12 PM
Represent.

Horace Cordier
09-20-2006, 12:28 AM
This is a great band. I have to dig out the cds now!

Steve P.
09-20-2006, 08:22 AM
I only have "Phos" from 1976. They had shortened their name to Socrates and Vangelis plays keyboards! It's a good album, but for Greek rock, my favorites are Aphrodite's Child's "666" and the awesome PLJ Band's "Armageddon" from 1982.