Tom K
09-18-2006, 09:32 PM
Layne Staley

Bill Pissott
09-18-2006, 09:36 PM
Kurt Cobain

mark t
09-18-2006, 09:36 PM
Fuck Layne Staley. Fuck Shannon Hoon. You're talking about one guy who could barely stand in front of a microphone, and managed to be in tune about 2% of the time that he needed to be, who's guitarist later proved that he was the most talented in the band.....another guy who's claim to fame is that he actually PISSED ON HIS AUDIENCE, whcih is just dumb as shit.

Cobain may have been high, but he was responsible for over 90% of Nirvana's catchy songwriting, had a great fucking voice, and (like it or not) was one of the biggest teen angst idols of the century. Nirvana may have only put out 3 albums in their career, but they were great, filler-free pieces of wax.

William R.
09-18-2006, 10:03 PM
I'm with Tolch, even though I don't think Nirvana are that great really.

Jeremy Wallace
09-18-2006, 10:05 PM
It was a close vote for me. But I went with Staley. I could have easily voted for Cobain.

Hoon was very underrated IMHO.

Chad Haden
09-18-2006, 10:11 PM
I went with Cobain

but my heart said Darby Crash

Bill Pissott
09-18-2006, 10:17 PM
I don't speak ill of the dead so let me start by saying that WHEN HE WAS ALIVE Staley was a slurring sack of shit IMHO. Like Nirvana or not, Cobain and crew stuck their collective foot up the asses of those mostly lame-ass hair metal bands and sent them all scurrying home and that's good enough for me. Oh, and the music fucking rocks also!

Chad Haden
09-18-2006, 10:19 PM
I don't speak ill of the dead so let me start by saying that WHEN HE WAS ALIVE Staley was a slurring sack of shit IMHO. Like Nirvana or not, Cobain and crew stuck their collective foot up the asses of those mostly lame-ass hair metal bands and sent them all scurrying home and that's good enough for me. Oh, and the music fucking rocks also!

Ahahahha, Very well said Bill :D

William R.
09-18-2006, 10:23 PM
If you say so, Bill. ;)

Bill Pissott
09-18-2006, 10:29 PM
If you say so, Bill. ;)

I'm sorry Will, does that not mesh with your thoughts? I'll re-think it. K?

mark t
09-18-2006, 10:31 PM
Nice one, Bill. I didn't want to be too negative, but I fucking hated Alice in Chains.

Jeremy Wallace
09-18-2006, 10:32 PM
Nice one, Bill. I didn't want to be too negative, but I fucking hated Alice in Chains.

I have mucho love for Jerry Cantrell!

Bill Pissott
09-18-2006, 10:35 PM

It's just one mans opinion. Really doesn't amount to shit at the end of the day.

William R.
09-18-2006, 10:36 PM
I'm sorry Will, does that not mesh with your thoughts? I'll re-think it. K?

You do just that. I'll wait right here.

I'd actually like to thank Kurt for making me some money. I sold the eight volume set of Outcesticide cd's I had to a local record shop for 20 dollars a piece. I can't believe they paid that much for them. I had no idea bootlegs were still in high demand price wise when you can download the damn things easier that coming across them in a record shop. Especially since they're not the orginal Blue Moon discs.

Have you heard them Bill?

Drew C
09-18-2006, 11:51 PM
Clearly Nirvana had the most impact overall, and Cobain was Nirvana, so there we are.

As much love as I have for AIC, Layne Staley had contributed about as much as he possibly could by the end of 'Dirt', and was basically dead long before he actually died.

Hoon, IMO, really is one of the most underrated singer/songwriters of that era at least, and was just getting better until he checked out. 'Soup' is one of my favorite albums, ever, of all time, by any band, ever.

Bill Pissott
09-18-2006, 11:59 PM
I'd actually like to thank Kurt for making me some money. I sold the eight volume set of Outcesticide cd's I had to a local record shop for 20 dollars a piece. I can't believe they paid that much for them. I had no idea bootlegs were still in high demand price wise when you can download the damn things easier that coming across them in a record shop. Especially since they're not the orginal Blue Moon discs.

Have you heard them Bill?

I've not heard them but I know of them. I'm gathering you didn't like them much?

mark t
09-19-2006, 12:14 AM
Some of the Outcesticide discs ended up on With The Lights Out, so who knows? Maybe they thought it was in high demand. I had the set, and listened to it maybe once....Clean up before She Comes and You Know You're Right were favourites but didn't get alot of airplay.

Zane C.
09-19-2006, 12:54 AM

Agreed, Bill. Cobain and crew gave the music industry something to stand up and take notice of, to be sure. I'm a very, very casual fan of Nirvana, though, and can only claim to like a few of their songs. There's no doubting they changed music in their time, though, like them or not. I was growing up and in high school when they exploded on the scene, and they shocked the heck out of my Guns N' Roses-listening self at the time. In a few short months, metal was dead. At first I was kinda mad at them, then I realized that they were actually pretty smart for taking music back to basics. Not the flashiest bunch around, but they proved a point, to be sure.

To be honest, none of these three are among my favorites (although I do like some Alice in Chains stuff...), but I'll have to say Cobain, but only because he's the most palletable of the three to me, and because of his undeniable importance AT THE TIME.

Interesting vote, though!

William R.
09-19-2006, 12:56 AM
I've not heard them but I know of them. I'm gathering you didn't like them much?

Oh, no. Just taking up space and the a conversation came up where I mentioned I had them and they got all interested. So, I ripped them to computer and sold them. My cd-r or the cd-r in the case, a bootleg is a bootleg.

They're very good, as Tolch said some of what was released eventually made it's way to the box set, but what bugged me about that was the amount they left off and some of it really didn't sound much better. It's the live performances and the stripped down demos that I get the most use out of when it comes to the band. I think they were at their best when either channeling the Melvins (Bleach), live and raw, or just stripped (unplugged). I have no use for Nevermind, though I acknowledge it's impact. It's too polished and the best songs sound better to my ears elsewhere, either live or demos. In Utero is better, but outside of a few tracks the same goes.

J Fresta
09-19-2006, 04:18 AM
I could never choose between Cobain and Staley. I love them both equally and they both had an ENORMOUS impact on my life and my music. Picking one over the other would be like choosing between my mother and my father.

Tom K
09-19-2006, 04:23 AM
Alice In Chains spoke to me more that Nirvana did...

Dirt is in my Top 10 ever...

I liked Nirvana a lot...in fact, I was into them before most people ever heard of them...I think it was the masses that ruined Nirvana for me...

Bill Pissott
09-19-2006, 09:20 AM
I think they were at their best when either channeling the Melvins (Bleach), live and raw, or just stripped (unplugged). I have no use for Nevermind, though I acknowledge it's impact.

I like 'em alot when they are raw and stripped down also but "Nevermind" will always be one of "THE" albums for me.

Jason Lee
09-19-2006, 10:25 AM
First time I heard the opening riffs of SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT was like a musical Epifeny(spelling?).....

As was said before, it was such a kick up the arses of the music scene at the time that they achieved so much in such a short time and did so much in such a short time too....I can still stick the CDS on and get pumped up....Not my favourite band ever, but there is so much energy in their songs.....

I guess the big question to me is, if he DIDNT DIE, would they stil be around...and would they still be as important/good?

Paul Apsley
09-19-2006, 03:49 PM
While I love Staley, I have to go with Kurt Cobain. He was as talented as the day is long. Nirvana put out a lot of great music in a short amount of time.

John G.
09-19-2006, 04:04 PM
I voted for Cobain, and I fucking love IN UTERO, but I'll also profess my recent appreciation for Alice in Chains, particularly FACELIFT. They were a pretty great fucking band if you ask me.

Damian P
09-19-2006, 04:19 PM
Hoon? Hoon? How did that assclown even get in this thread?

Mike Brown
09-19-2006, 04:23 PM
Sorry, No love for any of these guys.

John G.
09-19-2006, 04:27 PM
Hoon? Hoon? How did that assclown even get in this thread?
He died?

Jeremy Wallace
09-19-2006, 04:27 PM
He died?

Right!

Damian P
09-19-2006, 08:33 PM
He died?

I just never considered him much as a frontman but I suppose he was. Damn I hate that rain song. Every fucking time it rains some unimaginative disc jockey throws it on.