PDA

View Full Version : How damaged is your hearing?

Matt A
09-18-2006, 02:23 PM
With over two decades of listening to music full blast on headphones or cranked in my car, plus going to countless metal shows as well as working with loud machinery, my hearing would best be described as "fucked".

I have to constantly ask people to repeat themselves and when I sit across from my wife in a restaurant I must lean in close in order to hear her. I've never had it tested but my guess is that the loss is pretty significant.

I would imagine I'm not alone here.

Kieran M
09-18-2006, 02:31 PM
I would imagine I'm not alone here.
Definately not.
I also have to lean-in to hear people. If somebody speaks to me, I will only catch the last few words, needing to ask them to repeat themselves. I probably say "pardon?" more than any other word. It's a pain in the ass and I hate asking people to repeat themselves. If there is other noise in the room, my ears will fight to decide which noise to pay-attention to (even if the other noise is quieter than the person's speaking voice).
I've also noticed I'm starting to look at people's lips when they talk---- I think my brain is already gearing-up for lip-reading. Sad.

And at night, I have a lovely little high-pitched *ringgggg* in my ears, a light tinnitus I believe. I actually sleep better if there a bit of noise in the room to occupy my ears (ie. a humidifier or some music playing on low volume), otherwise I focus on the ringing and have difficulty drifting off.

John G.
09-18-2006, 02:43 PM
I was actually thinking about this today.

I'd say it's more the heavy metal concerts that I attend that have kind of scrambled my hearing... once and a while I get that high pitched tinnitus, but it usually lasts for like 5-10 seconds and then disappears. I first had it after a Megadeth concert and it lasted for like a week and a half afterwards and drove me crazy. Funnily enough, I didn't experience any of that after the Roger Waters show.

Maiden next month... sorry ears. :D

Clint C
09-18-2006, 03:05 PM
I've been playing in loud bands since I was 16 and I didn't wear earplugs for the first 6 years or so. I've never had my hearing tested but I'm sure I've done some damage. I definitely have mild tinnitus. These days I wear earplugs whenever I jam, perform, or attend concerts.

Bård Haugland
09-18-2006, 03:14 PM
I was actually thinking about this today.

I'd say it's more the heavy metal concerts that I attend that have kind of scrambled my hearing... once and a while I get that high pitched tinnitus, but it usually lasts for like 5-10 seconds and then disappears. I first had it after a Megadeth concert and it lasted for like a week and a half afterwards and drove me crazy. Funnily enough, I didn't experience any of that after the Roger Waters show.

Maiden next month... sorry ears. :D

I got that kind of high-pitched ringing after seeing Destruction in the end of August. I think it lasted for a week, and I have absolutely no problem understandig that people who live with this continiously may commit suicide. It's the second mest annoying thing I've ever experienced. The most annoying is a manic depressive in class. :D
I don't think that my hearing is very damaged, but a little bit, yes. So I've started to think about how high volume I use when I'm using headphones, and don't standing too near the loudspeakers at concerts. Because the hearing is the sense, together with seeing, appreciate the most.

Jeremy Wallace
09-18-2006, 03:16 PM
There are certain low tones that I have a hard time with. If someone talks in that tone I can not understand a single word.

Martin N
09-18-2006, 03:21 PM
I've never had it tested but my guess is that the loss is pretty significant.

You can test your hearing here (http://www.freehearingtest.com/test.shtml) (non pun intended).

I don't know if it really means anything but it suggests I ' may have hearing loss in the 8hz area. You should seek a hearing professional for diagnosis and help in preventing further loss of hearing'. :(

Bård Haugland
09-18-2006, 03:40 PM
It doesn't mean a thing if you can't hear anything in the 8hz area, since these tones are too low for a human to hear anyways. At least that's what I've heard.
I checked the test, and seems I don't have any hearing loss.

Martin N
09-18-2006, 03:44 PM
It doesn't mean a thing if you can't hear anything in the 8hz area, since these tones are too low for a human to hear anyways.
I checked the test, and seems I don't have any hearing loss.

That's good to know, Bård. Thanks. :)

Always best to take these internet tests with a pinch of salt, me thinks.

Chad Haden
09-18-2006, 03:52 PM
Definately not.
I also have to lean-in to hear people. If somebody speaks to me, I will only catch the last few words, needing to ask them to repeat themselves. I probably say "pardon?" more than any other word. It's a pain in the ass and I hate asking people to repeat themselves. If there is other noise in the room, my ears will fight to decide which noise to pay-attention to (even if the other noise is quieter than the person's speaking voice).
I've also noticed I'm starting to look at people's lips when they talk---- I think my brain is already gearing-up for lip-reading. Sad.

And at night, I have a lovely little high-pitched *ringgggg* in my ears, a light tinnitus I believe. I actually sleep better if there a bit of noise in the room to occupy my ears (ie. a humidifier or some music playing on low volume), otherwise I focus on the ringing and have difficulty drifting off.

Same here, I have a female friend who gets really annoyed talking to me because she talks very quietly and I constantly have to ask her to repeat what she said. I also can't sleep unless there's some sort of background noise going on because I'll concentrate on the drone sound until it drives me nuts.

Chuk H
09-18-2006, 04:18 PM
My hearing isn't too bad considering what I've been through. I do have constant tinitus in the right ear and the left one is about 50% of what it was....but somehow I still hear better than some other people....it's weird.

My sight is pretty fried now that I've made it past 40...I have to wear glasses like 75% of the time.

"What a drag it is getting old......"

paul h.
09-18-2006, 05:33 PM
After 25 years of 90+ decibel rock music, I'd say that my hearing has actually become more sensitive, which is odd. I often listen to things in the more comfortable 50-65 decibel range, but I like it louder so I can feel the kick drum in my chest. I don't like really loud headphones, however, it doesn't make much sense to me. I still hear things like car doors shutting down the block from my house with all my windows closed, the AC running and listening to music or watchng a movie.

Ingolf Eskedahl
09-18-2006, 05:37 PM
You all have to write a bit louder, I Can´t hear your posts!!! :(

Scott Ruhl
09-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Mine's pretty bad. I've started listening to everything at a more moderate level as it seems everything is ampliphied but muffled. If I sleep on my right ear at night it's all stuffed-up the next day. :(

Christoffer S
09-18-2006, 06:05 PM
Im beginning to get it :(

Tom K
09-18-2006, 06:27 PM
I've been playing in loud bands since I was 16 and I didn't wear earplugs for the first 6 years or so. I've never had my hearing tested but I'm sure I've done some damage. I definitely have mild tinnitus. These days I wear earplugs whenever I jam, perform, or attend concerts.

Similar situation, although I still don't use ear plugs...I tried and nothing sounds good...

Adam C
09-18-2006, 09:39 PM
My left ear is fucked.

Kristian R
09-18-2006, 10:16 PM
Mine is pretty well preserved, but with a couple of issues. I've been wearing ear plugs to shows since I got the fear put into me when I lost most of my hearing in my right ear for a day after a PiL show back around '85. However, I have had tinnitis for as long as I can remember so whenever it is quiet I have that high pitch TV sounding buzz in my ear. Also, on the rare occasion when I am at a show with unprotected hearing and have a fair amount of hooch in my system the right kind of noise can can cause my ear to blast me with loud static for a few seconds. Scary.

Protect your hearing kids!

Tim Mayer
09-19-2006, 08:48 AM
What? Did you say something?

Bill Piper
09-19-2006, 09:09 AM
my left ear has some issues, as some stuff sounds muffled, but my problem is when people talk really low, especially at work. there's lots of noises and for some odd reason, people like to talk low and then get mad when i can't hear them. lol.