PDA

View Full Version : The best guitar-solo in the world is...

Bård Haugland
09-16-2006, 03:00 AM
...the one in The Allman Brothers - Blue Sky.

What is your favorite(s)?

BobG
09-16-2006, 03:09 AM
I love the one in Neil Young's "Like A Hurricane" (the version on "American Stars and Bars" and "Decade").

Tom K
09-16-2006, 03:36 AM
Nigel Tuffnel's guitar solo while using a violin to do it...

Jesper Maintz
09-16-2006, 04:08 AM
Theres three of them:

Frank Zappa: WATERMELON IN EASTER HAY (From Joes Garages 3)
Van Halen: ERUPTION (from Van Halen)
Devin Townsend: DEEP PIECE (from Terria)

Frank Estrada
09-16-2006, 07:31 AM
Prince, at the end of "Let's Go Crazy".

Seriously. That's my favorite of all time.

Mike Howlett
09-16-2006, 08:28 AM
Scott Gorham's lead in "With Love".

For just blasting away, not in a song, I may go with "Eruption".

Chad Haden
09-16-2006, 08:31 AM
Buzzcocks - Boredom

Graham Smith
09-16-2006, 08:40 AM
Nothing beats Eddie Hazel on Funkadelic's Maggot Brain.

Eric A
09-16-2006, 09:44 AM
Comfortably Numb.

C.L. James
09-16-2006, 10:15 AM
Jake E. Lee's solo at the end of Ozzy Osbourne's "Bark at the Moon". Nothing better than that.

Kristian R
09-16-2006, 01:00 PM
Nothing beats Eddie Hazel on Funkadelic's Maggot Brain.

I second that emotion.

Chris Hill
09-16-2006, 01:01 PM
Hendrix, Machine Gun on Band of Gypsys.

Jeremy Wallace
09-16-2006, 01:03 PM
Angus Young's in Ride On.

Fred Adelman
09-16-2006, 01:03 PM
Comfortably Numb.

I second that!

Conner H
09-16-2006, 02:32 PM
I second that emotion.

Thirded. Sorry, folks, but nothing else even comes close.

Magnus Wersen
09-16-2006, 03:07 PM
Tony Iommi: Zero The Hero
Rocky George: How Will I Laugh Tomorrow

William R.
09-16-2006, 03:17 PM
Thirded. Sorry, folks, but nothing else even comes close.

Uh... fourthed (is that a word?!)

Every time this topic comes up it's like an echo of a broken record in here. :p

Justin Frank
09-16-2006, 03:18 PM
Buzzcocks - Boredom

Yes!!!

hear it ring-a-ring-a-ring-a-fucking ding!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JuPreGVYbGw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JuPreGVYbGw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Frank Estrada
09-16-2006, 03:42 PM
Uh... fourthed (is that a word?!)

Every time this topic comes up it's like an echo of a broken record in here. :p

I know. Comfortably Numb is too easy. I tried to go the shitty route.

Frank Estrada
09-16-2006, 03:43 PM
How about Neil Young's "Cinnamon Girl" with it's literally one-note solo?

William R.
09-16-2006, 03:46 PM
Comfortably Numb is definitely too easy, but maybe that's because it's the right choice.

Prince is damn good, so it's not like you dug out some crap that no one listens to released on vinyl only by some band of Prog rockers from Snitzleberger who play all their instruments through megaphones and record on 4track with a name like SOLOMAN GIVES THE FIGS TO JONAH or some shit.

Magnus Wersen
09-16-2006, 03:51 PM
Comfortably Numb is definitely too easy, but maybe that's because it's the right choice.

Prince is damn good, so it's not like you dug out some crap that no one listens to released on vinyl only by some band of Prog rockers from Snitzleberger who play all their instruments through megaphones and record on 4track with a name like SOLOMAN GIVES THE FIGS TO JONAH or some shit.

I watched Prince in concert here in Gothenburg some fifteen years ago and that guy really knew how to play a wicked guitar solo. I'm still in awe!

John G.
09-16-2006, 03:55 PM
The Snitzleberger Seven - Soloman Gives the Figs to Jonah

William R.
09-16-2006, 04:01 PM
The Snitzleberger Seven - Soloman Gives the Figs to Jonah

It really is that good.

John G.
09-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Who knew a bunch of Snitzlebergians with their fat sausage-fingers, euro-trash haircuts and megaphone filtered guitars could meedly-meedly-meedle with the best of em?

William R.
09-16-2006, 04:16 PM
Who knew a bunch of Snitzlebergians with their fat sausage-fingers, euro-trash haircuts and megaphone filtered guitars could meedly-meedly-meedle with the best of em?

No one but us, my good man. No one but us.

Some nice obscure shredding finds itself on this record here:

http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/6185/screenshot01ub7.jpg

Ian Miller
09-16-2006, 04:17 PM
Besides MAGGOT BRAIN?

I sure dig Hendrix's MIDNIGHT, all the way through.

Short and sweet? James Burton's lead on Ricky Nelson's HELLO, MARY LOU is frickin' awesome.

Randy Thomas G
09-16-2006, 05:13 PM
Peter Laughner's solo in 'Final Solution.'

Mayo Thompson of Red Krayola told me that he joined Pere Ubu just to play that song and David Thomas had decided the band would never play it again.

KH Brown
09-16-2006, 07:05 PM
I would go for Eruption, simply because it defined a new paradigm for guitar solos. It maybe doesn't really do anything 'new' - Billy Gibbons and Ritchie Blackmore had both done the finger tapping thing before - but it redefined the vocabulary in terms of how people understood the guitar. I think Zappa said something to the same effect when he credited Eddie Van Halen for reinventing the electric guitar. Yes, it was soon surpassed, but how many of its succesors would have been possible without it?

Drew C
09-17-2006, 04:15 PM
For my money, it would be a tough choice between Gilmour's 'Dogs' solo and Rhoads' outro solo on 'Revelation (Mother Earth)'.

Chuk H
09-17-2006, 04:46 PM
Rhoads on Mr. Crowley.

A lot of Buck Dharma's solos on ON YR. FEET OR ON YR. KNEES is damn good; hard to pick just one.

Gotta give props to Maggotbrain too.

Chris Poggiali
09-17-2006, 05:26 PM
I'll go with Eddie Hazel, but for me it's a tie between "Maggot Brain" (a long, beautiful lovemaking session on a weekend getaway) and "Alice in My Fantasies" (a sweaty, raunchy quickie done standing up -- with her parents in the next room).

William R.
09-17-2006, 05:31 PM
Maybe somebody should just start a "Maggotbrain" vs. "Comfortably Numb" poll and end this fucker once and for all.

Bill Pissott
09-18-2006, 08:05 PM
Comfortably Numb

Jim R.
11-29-2011, 02:11 AM
Steve Howe's solo "Wurm", the third part of Yes' "Starship Trooper".

Edward McDougal
11-29-2011, 02:47 AM
Maggot Brain is great. George Clinton & Funkadelic/Parliament I consider one of my favorite musicians/bands. CLinton is a brilliant genius but you can hear in Trombipulation they were loosing it some and then George started loving that pipe and it fucked him all up. With that being said Eddie Hazels work on the albums is probably my least favorite parts. He is amazing and I still love his involvement, but when I think George Clinton I think MOTHERSHIP CONNECTION, TALES OF KIDD FUNKADELIC, UNCLE JAM, etc

I am going with

Watermelon in Easter Hay- Frank Zappa (my favorite musician)

That piece is so beautiful! He was a genius composer who happened to be able to rage on guitar also.

BTW- LOL@ people saying "Comfortably Numb." Don't get me wrong, I love Pink Floyd, but David Gilmour just slides up and down the pentatonic scale... nothing special.

Also, not any pieces in particular, but I am surprised no one has mentioned The Mahavishnu John McLaughlin..... what a genius!!

Bill Wolford
11-29-2011, 04:19 AM
I don't know if its my favorite guitar solo, but its pretty damn close, and underrated. Check out Neil Schon's solo on the track Dead Or Alive from the Journey album Escape. It must be on youtube. I'd like to see if I'm crazy, or thats actually a good solo. I've played Bass for 30 years, so I don't pick out guitar solos too well.

Isaac K.
11-29-2011, 07:31 AM
Dave Davies' on The Kinks' "Mr. Churchill Says"? I don't know. I like a lot of 70s guitar rock like BOC and Alice Cooper, but I somehow can't think of any solos specifically. I like them more for the riffs. I guess that I'm not too huge on the guitar solos. Most of my favorite music has the weakest ones ever. How about "Punk Rock Girl" by The Dead Milkmen?

Bill Wolford
11-29-2011, 08:30 AM
I loathe the song, but how come the solo to Hotel California hasn't been mentioned? I can actually whistle the solo. Its got to be good if its that memorable.

Edward McDougal
11-29-2011, 02:20 PM
lol hotel california sucks

and i fuckin hate the eagles man!

Emanuele Sheriff
11-29-2011, 06:37 PM
I haven't heard some of the other Zappa solos mentioned above but,for my money, the one off "Inca Roads" from ONE SIZE FITS ALL is just beautiful. Superb melodic development, wide range of techniques, unique tones.

I like the ones in "Sweet Home Alabama", Hendrix's "All Along the Watchtower", Harrison on "Something", Gilmour on Floyd's "Time", the dude from Gene Vincent's Bluecaps on "Be Bop-a-lula" and you have to acknowledge Van Halen's "Eruption".Lots more, I'm sure.

P Smith
11-30-2011, 05:05 PM
Paul Leary on "22 going on 23" on Locust Abortion Technician by Butthole Surfers. A great and moving contrast to the harshness of the rest of the song. IMHO

Aaron G
11-30-2011, 08:03 PM
anything by DRAGONFORCE!! I just want to drink 100 RedBulls. pull out my Lord of the rings and Twilight novels, pull my cock out and just wiggle it in glee as I listen to the awesome leadbreak bullshitness!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywxm6zLEjFY