PDA

View Full Version : Indian cooking - do you like it?

Jesper Maintz
09-15-2006, 08:35 AM
Well, for tonights meal, I decided to go all indian - so I just bought 7 different kinds of spices, chili peppers and so on. Indian food is not hard to make, you just need to have the 20+ ingredients that it takes - and it tastes good!

Any other Maniac like indian food? And what are your faves?

Jason S
09-15-2006, 09:20 AM
There's an Indian place down the street that is mighty tasty. I like.

Jeremy Wallace
09-15-2006, 09:31 AM
I have had it once. All I remember is that the food was all neon colors and tasted like turds.

Jason S
09-15-2006, 09:53 AM
The bread is fantastic! Curry is soooooo good. The chicken in the orange cream sauce is soooooo damn good. It's Yummy i tell you!

mark t
09-15-2006, 10:24 AM
I just can't eat it. I have yet to try anything that I liked, but i don't like chick peas or anything even on their own.

mark t
09-15-2006, 10:41 AM
I just can't eat it. I have yet to try anything that I liked, but i don't like chick peas or anything even on their own.

Jeremy Wallace
09-15-2006, 10:46 AM
Yeah. You just said that. WE GET IT!!!

Matt A
09-15-2006, 10:47 AM
The bread is fantastic! Curry is soooooo good. The chicken in the orange cream sauce is soooooo damn good. It's Yummy i tell you!

Agreed. I need to take you to this great Indian buffet up in Northglenn.

Jason S
09-15-2006, 10:49 AM
Agreed. I need to take you to this great Indian buffet up in Northglenn.

And I gotta take you to the buffet over on Colorado and 8th. It's just amazing.

Matt A
09-15-2006, 10:54 AM
I also dig that creamy spinach stuff - I'm not sure what it's called off the top of my bald head.

Clint C
09-15-2006, 10:56 AM
I love Indian food. My fav dishes are probably butter chicken, palak paneer, and tandoori chicken, but I pretty much like everything I've had. I also love nan bread and samosas.

Matt A
09-15-2006, 11:03 AM
Are samosas the fritters? If so I like those too.

When my wife and I were in Paris (Yeah. I've been to France. Suck it, Toby Keith!) we went to this Indian place that had amazing butter chicken.

I'm so hungry right now. :(

Mike Brown
09-15-2006, 11:18 AM
I can take it or leave it.

Jason S
09-15-2006, 11:29 AM
Mmmm butter chicken....thats the stuff!

Clint C
09-15-2006, 11:46 AM
Are samosas the fritters? If so I like those too.
http://webpages.csus.edu/~sac60070/samosa.jpg

Matt A
09-15-2006, 11:50 AM
Oh. Those. They're real tasty too. I was thinking of the fried cabbage(?) fritter things. I guess I like it all. :p

mark t
09-15-2006, 12:19 PM
Yeah. You just said that. WE GET IT!!!

Yeah, like you've never double-posted before, you smooth-mouth cookie?

Frank Estrada
09-15-2006, 12:27 PM
Indian food is delicious.

Jeremy Wallace
09-15-2006, 12:52 PM

I love you.

Jeremy Wallace
09-15-2006, 12:52 PM

I love you.

Chris Poggiali
09-15-2006, 02:07 PM
I eat it once or twice a week. I had Shrimp Vindaloo with samosa and rice for dinner on Monday, and today for lunch I had Chicken Tika Masala with rice, assorted fritters and a spinach dish on the side.

Mike Howlett
09-15-2006, 02:08 PM
If I had to live with one ethnicity of food for the rest of my life, it would be Indian. Veggie friendly, spicy and just plain GOOD!!!

Shaun C
09-15-2006, 02:44 PM
It's my favourite food, and the Curry is the national dish in the UK.

Clint C
09-15-2006, 03:02 PM
I was thinking of the fried cabbage(?) fritter things.
I think you're talking about pakora. They usually have spinach and cabbage in them. They're delicious too.

http://www.sundaypost.com/magazine/images2005/may05/food_may_05_pakora.jpg

Josh S
09-15-2006, 03:07 PM
I've only had Indian food a couple times but I liked it. I wasn't crazy about the bread, though. Sag paneer (sp?) is godly.

David Huber
09-15-2006, 03:38 PM
My wife is Indian, so I eat it at least 1-2 times a week from either her or my mother-in-law, plus from Indian restaurants occasionally. Having said that, it's not my favorite cuisine, but I do like it. The best Indian food I've had by far was when I went to India- the tandoori chicken straight from the oven with a spritz of lemon was awesome. Curiously, the best Chinese food I've ever eaten was in India, too. Maybe something about the proximity.

Howard Farmer
09-15-2006, 05:58 PM
Yes. My favorite too in fact. Preparing three or four vegetarian curries and some chutnies and raita and chapatis or nan takes me about 4 or 5 hours. Quite a commitment. I cheat though and get some mediocre packaged stuff from time to time but it ain't nearly the same.
No Indian restaurant on this island. :( So I always look one up when I hit civilization.

William R.
09-15-2006, 06:17 PM
I enjoy it well enough when other people make it, but I don't enjoy cooking it myself. It's not my favorite by and large, but it's ok.

Chad Haden
09-15-2006, 06:23 PM
I dig it, I'm a big fan of Chicken Curry with a side of cheese nan and an IPA to wash it down

Jesper Maintz
09-16-2006, 04:02 AM
Last night, I made meatballs (not swedish) in a really hot indian sauce (with spices I thought were for baking) and it tasted like heaven. It took some time and I made the meatballs all by myself, but it was a succes. And now I have all those strange spices I need to cook more indian food - it is delicious!

And thanks for the many replies - I guess indian food isnt as popular in the States as it is over here, and it is a safe bet to say, that you guys really are missing out on something really great! :)

Frank Estrada
09-16-2006, 08:06 AM
This is my favorite Indian recipe. And, as per my usual, I don't measure the ingredients - I just guess.

Gather these ingredients:

a couple cans of coconut milk

a couple cans of chick peas or garbonzo beans or whatever you want to call them

at least three or four large yams or sweet potatoes or whatever you want to call them

a bunch of garlic, minced real fine

some cheap, powdered curry

a whole bunch of soy sauce

a bottle of Sriracha

Get a huge ass pot (a pressure cooker works even better) and put everything in there. Cut the yams into chunks before you put them in. Simmer that shit for a long long time - I'm talking HOURS. Until the whole thing turns into sort of a very thick, brown gravy. If yo're not using a pressure cooker, stir that fucker every once in a while. Serve it over white rice. Sriracha to taste.

I gfuarantee you will make this more than once, because it's so easy, exotic, and DAMN good. I am warning you though - this is some of the most gaseous food on the planet. You will fart uncontrollably. But it's worth it. This dish is delish.

David Huber
09-16-2006, 09:18 AM
a bottle of Sriracha

Although Sriracha is ubiquitous, a great substitute when making Indian food at home is to pick up some lime pickle from an Indian grocery store. Lime pickle, or to a lesser extent mango pickle, will add a nice spicy flavor to any Indian dish. Pickles are used extensively in the Tamil Nadu area of India where my wife is from.

Frank Estrada
09-16-2006, 01:15 PM
Way to rain on my parade.

Fred Adelman
09-16-2006, 01:28 PM
I don't like Indian food but I smell it every day. I have people of Indian decent living above me and you can smell their cooking in the hallways. Some of it smells pretty good, while some of it smells like dirty socks. I guess you can say that about culinary cooking from every ethnic background.

Tom K
09-16-2006, 01:57 PM
I'm not brave enough to try any Indian Food now due to a bad experience from one of my former co-workers...

He was a real nice guy for the most part, but he was always real ass-kissy which got rather annoying...Plus, I always questioned his hygine habits...He said he was going to bring me food one day...Well, one day he brought some food to me from his mosque...It was for me and another guy...I was afraid as was this other person...It did not smell good at all...It was some kind of chicken with rice...The rice looked like it was dropped on the floor and swept back up...I told this other guy we have to at least try it...So we go to the cafeteria and got a couple of plates...my buddy started spooning this stuff out and I was literally retching...then I saw bare chicken bones mixed in...Needless to say, I skipped our meal...Very unappealing to me, and now I've been very hesitant to even consider trying to eat Indian food...

Frank Estrada
09-16-2006, 02:03 PM
That is to Indian food what prison food is to American food.

Not the best example!

David Huber
09-16-2006, 03:39 PM
Way to rain on my parade.

Not my intention. If I was to rain on your parade, however, I would have mentioned that no Indian dish would contain soy sauce. Since I am not a parade-rainer, though, I will not mention it.

Frank Estrada
09-16-2006, 03:40 PM
*runs to room, screaming and crying*

Chuk H
09-16-2006, 07:36 PM
Love , love , LOVE Indian food. Lately I'm into the creamy goodness of kormas.

My wife and I threw an "Indian Feast" dinner party once and I made all the marsalas from scratch. I cooked for 2 days and it was awesome!

Indian food is probably my favorite next to Mexican with Thai and Italian coming in tied for 3rd.

KH Brown
09-16-2006, 07:53 PM
I like it, but a propensity to be fattening, ghee and all.

Frank Estrada
09-16-2006, 08:37 PM
Not my intention. If I was to rain on your parade, however, I would have mentioned that no Indian dish would contain soy sauce. Since I am not a parade-rainer, though, I will not mention it.

My ex-brother-in-law is Indian, and he taught me how to make that dish. So you're either gonna have to break the news to him that either a) he's not Indian, or b) that soy sauce he'd been using all those years was actually motor oil. And since his name is Nikunj and the whole rest of his family is Indian... you're probably gonna have to go with the motor oil theory. :o

Ian Jane
09-16-2006, 08:46 PM
It's my favourite food, and the Curry is the national dish in the UK.

Did you know I have a website dedicated to curry? It's true! Check it out here:

http://www.ianjane.com

I love Indian food. It took some time for my pallet to get used to it but I could eat it all day now.

Horace Cordier
09-16-2006, 09:02 PM
Probably my second favorite after Italian. I usually go for a lamb vindaloo and take it pretty hot.

I like the breads, the yogurt and the samosas. Luckily, we have some very good takeout places as I would never attempt to cook it. That would just get ugly.

Frank Estrada
09-16-2006, 09:03 PM
Ian, do you eat the curry chips at the Moon and Sixpence?

You probably provided the recipe.

Jeff D.
09-17-2006, 12:59 AM
I was scared to death of Indian food for a while but my fiancee whos half Pakistani(and Italian) got me hooked on it . Love the Tika chicken. Drawback is that its very gassy :eek:

David Huber
09-17-2006, 03:03 PM
My ex-brother-in-law is Indian, and he taught me how to make that dish. So you're either gonna have to break the news to him that either a) he's not Indian, or b) that soy sauce he'd been using all those years was actually motor oil. And since his name is Nikunj and the whole rest of his family is Indian... you're probably gonna have to go with the motor oil theory. :o

Well, my wife's Indian, and she usually throws in Tabasco sauce into her stuff. Last I checked Tabasco wasn't Indian, so I guess I can let the soy sauce thing slide. I guess we can call it 'fusion' cooking!