Chad Haden
09-14-2006, 10:26 PM
Ya gotta pick one

http://www.codehot.co.uk/images/lyricpics/duran/01b.jpg

http://www.fromthearchives.com/bp/BP_Photo82a.jpg

Also, ya gotta tell us why you picked who you did

William R.
09-14-2006, 10:30 PM
I'll tell you who I picked and why if you can inform the world how much of and what kind of alcoholic drink you consumed before thinking up this poll.

Let's just go compare Prince to Big Black or something.

Is it the hair?

Chad Haden
09-14-2006, 10:33 PM
I chose the Birthday Party for a number of reasons, one of them being that my love of the Stooges can be traced directly to the Birthday Party and their cover of "Fun House" on the LIVE 81/82 album.

Chad Haden
09-14-2006, 10:35 PM
I'll tell you who I picked and why if you can inform the world how much of and what kind of alcoholic drink you consumed before thinking up this poll.

Let's just go compare Prince to Big Black or something.

Is it the hair?

I'm not drunk...I know, I'm just as surprised as you are.

Prince vs. Big Black is easy, one sucks and the other is Big Black

Paul Casey
09-14-2006, 10:40 PM
I went with DD. The Birthday Party is fuckin' great. However, I get DD stuck in my head way more often. Plus, their lyrics are easier to fuck with.

Although, The Birthday Party has probably the best song title I've ever heard...Big Jesus Trash Can.

What if you were to pair The Birthday Party against The Jesus Lizard????

Hhmmmmm....I'd vote JL.

Prince Kills Big Black.

NQ

mark t
09-14-2006, 11:09 PM
You fucker. I refuse to take part in this mockery of the democratic system.

Damian P
09-14-2006, 11:21 PM
THE BIRTHDAY PARTY. That's crazy fun music right there. Me and Mr. Clarinet have things to do.

Paul Casey
09-15-2006, 02:24 AM
HANDS UP, WHO WANT'S TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chad Haden
09-15-2006, 08:54 AM

Pinko

Don Guarisco
09-15-2006, 01:19 PM
I voted for 'crap music.' I actually like Duran Duran a lot (particularly their early 'Roxy Music meets Chic' sound) and like the few Birthday Party tracks I've heard but every social experiment needs a dissenting party.

Kyle Bachman
09-15-2006, 01:41 PM
Birthday Party. Mutiny in Heaven. Enough said.

Ariel P
09-15-2006, 11:27 PM
The Birthday Party, no question about it. Duran Duran = Boring in my book. Now if it was Birthday Party or Fad Gaget, that would be a tough one. Plus the Birthday Party has that video where nick cave frolics in a diaper.
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0RwjuQ-ivOo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0RwjuQ-ivOo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Ingolf Eskedahl
09-16-2006, 04:57 PM
Birthday Party...!

Ian Jane
09-16-2006, 06:00 PM

Why not? Do the right thing and vote for the Birthday Party. Duran Duran isn't a real band anyway. It's music made for teeny booper girls in the 80s.

Justin Frank
09-16-2006, 06:02 PM
I'm not a big Duran Duran fan, but they got my vote. I find Birthday Party (and all of Nick Cave's output, for that matter) to be overly self-indulgent, pretentious and boring. At least DD wrote some memorable pop tunes.

Alex D
09-16-2006, 06:11 PM
Duran Duran...? What were you thinking, Chad....?

Release the Bats!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yaWn0qcRYFA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yaWn0qcRYFA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Ariel P
09-16-2006, 06:13 PM
Okay, okay, here’s a great idea for the next poll, Einstürzende Neubauten or Kajagoogoo.

Wait, how about Merzbow or Flock of Seagulls. Maybe Masonna or Britney Spears. Wolf Eyes or Mariah Carey? The Mentors or Whitney Houston? Nurse With Wound or Kenny G? G.G. Allin or Cyndi Lauper? Throbbing Gristle or the Bee Gees? Here’s a killer one NON or the Spice Girls. I can do this all day.

Ingolf Eskedahl
09-16-2006, 07:02 PM
I really really like Einsturzende, but Lihmal had the baddest hair ever!, And The Never Ending Story!
Thenagain Kollaps and 1/2 Mencsh are all time favourites.
Kajagoogoo is a good name,,....
The hair...Kollaps....

So difficult..

What was the next one..?

Justin Frank
09-16-2006, 07:12 PM
Duran Duran isn't a real band anyway. It's music made for teeny booper girls in the 80s.

They seem that way on the surface, but I think they were a real band. They formed on their own and wrote/performed their own music, as far as I know. It's not like they were manufactured by a label or anything like a lot of the boy-bands that came in their wake. Thay can't help it if they were pretty, and I bet they scored a lot more tail than Nick Cave :D

Justin Frank
09-16-2006, 07:15 PM
on second thought, never mind what I said before...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0b3vwQDbmlg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0b3vwQDbmlg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Adolph L.
09-16-2006, 10:10 PM
damn, what a crappy choice. i guess i'll go with duran duran.

Chad Haden
09-17-2006, 12:30 AM
Nick Cave sez:

I might be pretentious but I fucked PJ Harvey and everyone who voted for Duran Duran can suck it! :P

Oh yeah and Tolch is a puss for not voting

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/MMPH/175970~Nick-Cave-Posters.jpg

Darren Nemeth
09-17-2006, 01:01 AM
Sorry, guys. :)

I've been to three DD concerts since 2000 and listen to their CDs regularily. Especially, the more recent vintage 1996 - 2000.

One night I waited outside one of the concert venues and almost got autographs had they not been snobs.

Simon LeBon aknowledged my existance at least.

DD is not music for girls. They have a lot of harder edge, dark side stuff. NIGHTBOAT is a great song, IMHO.

I never heard of Birthday Party, however, I wonder if they may have been musical "fluff."

I used to see DD on MTV all the time when the channel used to play music videos all day. I couldn't get enough of them and waited for every new video. Must have grown out of it around 1986, when the original line up split up and the appeal of their vids to me declined.

Got back into DD after seeing their show from the second row at Pine Knob in 2000.

You can't beat MTV era, new wave classics like NOTORIOUS and IS THERE SOMETING I SHOULD KNOW, IMHO.

It is a real group. Simon Lebon and Nick Rhodes write the songs and all drum and guitar parts are worked out by the Taylors.

Chad Haden
09-17-2006, 08:54 AM
I never heard of Birthday Party, however, I wonder if they may have been musical "fluff."

Well I guess The Birthday Party could be "fluff" if you compared them to Khante or Burzum or something.

William R.
09-17-2006, 08:57 AM
Well I guess The Birthday Party could be "fluff" if you compared them to Khante or Burzum or something.

Hahaha.

Do you think Nick Cave gave Kylie Minogue a taste? I would've.

Chad Haden
09-17-2006, 09:01 AM
Hahaha.

Do you think Nick Cave gave Kylie Minogue a taste? I would've.

Of course he did, he's Nick Cave. The mullet attracts the lovely ladies of the world.

mark t
09-17-2006, 06:01 PM
Why not? Do the right thing and vote for the Birthday Party. Duran Duran isn't a real band anyway. It's music made for teeny booper girls in the 80s.

Fine. You and the Chad can go hornswoggling. I'm voting my conscience....

Chad Haden
09-17-2006, 08:32 PM
Fine. You and the Chad can go hornswoggling. I'm voting my conscience....

You'll rue the day you crossed Ian Jane and myself, Tolch!

mark t
09-17-2006, 09:46 PM
You'll rue the day you crossed Ian Jane and myself, Tolch!

It's not a far drive to kentucky with a headful of acid, Mr. Haden.....

Chad Haden
09-17-2006, 09:49 PM
It's not a far drive to kentucky with a headful of acid, Mr. Haden.....

Then come to Kentucky and we'll settle this once and for all. And then, we'll drink and sing Celtic anthems!

William R.
09-17-2006, 09:53 PM
And then, we'll drink and sing Celtic anthems!

Three cheers for the Celtic green
While we may never be as good as Rangers Blue
We're a damn sight better than Aberdeen
OI!

Chad Haden
09-17-2006, 10:14 PM
Three cheers for the Celtic green
While we may never be as good as Rangers Blue
We're a damn sight better than Aberdeen
OI!

Hahah, nice one Will

William R.
09-17-2006, 10:20 PM
I have my moments.

Paul Apsley
09-18-2006, 05:07 PM
I guess I'm going with the unpopular choice and voting Duran Duran. I 've always been a sucker for their music and consider them to be one of my greatest guilty pleasures. Plus, I loved their videos!

Bill Pissott
09-18-2006, 09:04 PM
I like crap music and hate both bands

John Ellsworth
09-18-2006, 11:22 PM
The Birthday Party I like Duran Duran but c'mon try picturing Simon Le Bon singing Dead Joe or Junkyard?