PDA

View Full Version : Better: SCTV or SNL?

Anthony V
09-14-2006, 12:07 PM
SNL has been dead ever since Hartman left. Even in its first five years, it was never as consistently hilarious and incredibly entertaining as SCTV, which had superior writing, better talent, and way-better running characters.

I love classic SNL but SCTV was much superior.

If you don't agree with me, then...then...then...You're a Hoodlum!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GZI-ne-IESM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GZI-ne-IESM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Matt A
09-14-2006, 12:30 PM
SCTV for certain. They knew when to quit for one thing. ;)

Todd J
09-14-2006, 12:57 PM
I voted for SNL. I only got to see SCTV when they played it on Nick At Nite, and although it was funny, I can not recall much from it.

SNL over the years was hit or miss (mostly miss), but I can think of A LOT of things that were funny.

Josh S
09-14-2006, 01:20 PM
I don't think SNL died when Hartman left, so much as the idea of a good cast died. There were still funny people on there, but it became more about specific actors, as they couldn't get more than one or two funny people at a time. Since Ferrell left, though, there has been one funny skit (Lazy Sunday) and that was run into the ground within a month.

Matt A
09-14-2006, 01:25 PM
...there has been one funny skit (Lazy Sunday) and that was run into the ground within a month.

And what has that guy (Samberg?) done since? Jack and shit.

Mike Brown
09-14-2006, 01:56 PM
I love SCTV, but there are so many years to pick from Saturday Night Live. Many bad, but many good. Tough call. SCTV was funnier than hell, but sometimes, it was just strange. This is way to hard.

Don Guarisco
09-14-2006, 02:28 PM
To these eyes, SCTV is superior (and I'm not even counting the terminally lame post-Hartman years in my judgement). I love the anarchic, acidic touch of O'Donoghue-era SNL but SCTV had the benefit of being scripted in advance, giving it a layered and fully-thought-out style of humor that SNL only occasionally achieved. In terms of cast, I can't deny the greatness of the early SNL players but SCTV worked better as an ensemble - the superstar mentality hit SNL as early as 1976 and crippled the ability of the various casts to work as a real team.

Matt A
09-14-2006, 02:57 PM
The problem I see with the current SNL cast is that they're simply content to just be on the show and aren't concerned with taking the opportunity to innovate and create something fresh and exciting. There was an interview with Fred Armisen in The Onion a few months back where he was asked if he and the other cast members and writers ever fought to get something on the air and he said no. He went on to say that no one wants to step on anyone else's toes and they're all just pleased to get any airtime, even if it's in a shitty sketch. I think this is why the last few seasons have been so horrible. The cast is just waiting for their movie deal and don't really care about creating anything edgy.

Jonathan Daniels
09-14-2006, 03:01 PM
To these eyes, SCTV is superior (and I'm not even counting the terminally lame post-Hartman years in my judgement). I love the anarchic, acidic touch of O'Donoghue-era SNL but SCTV had the benefit of being scripted in advance, giving it a layered and fully-thought-out style of humor that SNL only occasionally achieved. In terms of cast, I can't deny the greatness of the early SNL players but SCTV worked better as an ensemble - the superstar mentality hit SNL as early as 1976 and crippled the ability of the various casts to work as a real team.

SCTV all the way!

I have probably had more laugh out loud moments with SNL through the years but my heart still has to go with SCTV.

I love the large cast of characters, the running gags, the obscure references, absurd spoofs, and the musical guests. The show had wonderful comedians and great writers. SCTV had the absolute best TV comedy cast ever.

I didn't catch up to the show (except for a handful of episodes) until the recent DVDs and I'm definitely hooked now. The show's vibe just sucks me in. I love the whole small town UHF feel of the SCTV network. I love the mood this show puts me in. It's like comfort food or something.

Dr. Tongue...Harry, the Guy with the snake on his face...Tex and Edna...Johnny LaRue...Lola Heatherton...Guy Caballero...Sammy Maudlin...Bobby Bittman...Gerry Todd...Bill Needle...Edith Prickley...Count Floyd...Sid Dithers...etc..etc...

They had so many great characters and skits. You gotta love "The Crusing Gourmet"!

Jonathan Daniels
09-14-2006, 03:01 PM
Sorry...double post...dang it...

AntoƱio Maldonado
09-14-2006, 05:07 PM
aThe best thing I recall seeing on SCTV was the Punk parody Disco show? Martin Short did a good Johnny Rotten/Sid impression.

Matt A
09-14-2006, 05:11 PM
TA DA!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EwqmB3Jocmw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EwqmB3Jocmw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Mike Howlett
09-14-2006, 05:13 PM
Always been an SNL fan. I still am.

Mike Brown
09-14-2006, 05:19 PM
If you asked me if I'd rather watch an episode of SNL or SCTV at this minute, I'd have to go for SCTV. So there.

mark t
09-14-2006, 05:46 PM
If you don't agree with me, then...then...then...You're a Hoodlum!

I haven't seen that since.....probably since it aired. I laughed pretty hard then, but I tell ya, watching it now all of those years later cracked my shit right up. :)

William R.
09-14-2006, 06:16 PM
I think they're both kind of blah. Always were, even SNL during the so-called golden years. Some of SCTV is downright painful to watch as is SNL, but at least one of them is no more. So, SCTV get's the edge. Not just for that reason, but because of Polynesiantown.

Adam C
09-14-2006, 09:58 PM
Never saw much SCTV growing up (saw it later and liked it), usually watched old episodes of FRIDAYS that we had on beta. I need to dig those out...

Mike P
09-14-2006, 11:54 PM
Why isn't Kids in The Hall included? :confused:

John G.
09-15-2006, 12:14 AM
Why isn't Kids in The Hall included? :confused:
Out of pity for the other two, because it would whoop both show's asses.

Mike P
09-15-2006, 12:19 AM

Agreed!

John G.
09-15-2006, 12:20 AM
Thread pwnage...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MrUN1sifFWU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MrUN1sifFWU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Isaac K.
09-15-2006, 12:38 AM
I'm not sure when I first believed SNL should call it quits, but it was definitely a few years before I graduated HS. That would make it prior to '92. And here it is almost 2007. Talk about beating a dead horse!

John G.
09-15-2006, 12:46 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BmEUsqeVyyg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BmEUsqeVyyg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Mike P
09-15-2006, 12:52 AM
http://www.midnightpoutine.ca/archives/chickenlady.jpg

mark t
09-15-2006, 09:44 AM

Truer words have yet to be spoken...,.

Ian Miller
09-16-2006, 12:05 AM
I think they're both kind of blah. Always were, even SNL during the so-called golden years. Some of SCTV is downright painful to watch as is SNL, but at least one of them is no more. So, SCTV get's the edge. Not just for that reason, but because of Polynesiantown.

Wow you just took me back about two years to a drunken debate on this very subject!

William R.
09-16-2006, 12:23 AM
Wow you just took me back about two years to a drunken debate on this very subject!

I think of that convo whenever I see a clip or episode of SCTV or WHO'S HARRY CRUMB for some odd reason.

Ian Miller
09-16-2006, 12:30 AM
Yeah, you broke my heart!

William R.
09-16-2006, 12:42 AM
It comes from an age I just was not a part.

Ian Miller
09-16-2006, 12:47 AM
Yeah, an age that could produce a Michael Macdonald sketch where he's on the go, stopping by just to lay down some fancy background vox.

"Such a long way to goooooo!"

Bill Pissott
09-18-2006, 08:15 PM
Saturday Night Live

Adam A
04-13-2010, 12:33 PM
Old school SNL. They didn't do the Antler Dance on SCTV.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9EgJuf7czhQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9EgJuf7czhQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
This is NOT the Antler Dance!

Marshall Crist
08-29-2010, 02:14 PM
Now that they have knocked out the first five years of SNL on DVD, they have completed the "original cast" years including that awful last one. I WISH, though it will never happen, that they would put out Season 6 as it is probably the most horriblest of all, and most of that stuff has not been seen in decades. And I just found out there were only 13 episodes.

I wonder how the sales figures were on Season 5.

BobG
08-29-2010, 02:53 PM
Was SNL Season 6 the one with Denny Dillon, Gilbert Gottfried, Christine Ebersol, etc.? Fridays was probably funnier than that crap.

Marshall Crist
08-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Indeed. I would also welcome a FRIDAYS release on DVD.

Emanuele Sheriff
08-29-2010, 03:38 PM
SCTV rules!

Daniel S.S.
08-29-2010, 05:04 PM
A tough call to be sure but in the end I remember much more about SCTV and replay or refer to those sketches in my head more frequently. I'd love to see Friday's again though - some ridiculously great moments there.

Raleigh B
08-29-2010, 05:47 PM
aThe best thing I recall seeing on SCTV was the Punk parody Disco show? Martin Short did a good Johnny Rotten/Sid impression.

Aaaaaaah...memories! "I Hate the Bloody Queen!" To my eyes, he kind of looked like Early 80's Marc Almond a bit.

I voted SCTV as well. One of my memories was an episode based on 1984 with the Doubletalk game show.

If SNL would have stopped in 1985-6, then this would have been a mind-melting question as SNL's first 5 and 7-9 had moments of brilliance (6 at least had some killer music, but beyond possibly a few moments featuring Eddie and Joe, it stank to the lowest level of TV Hell enough for me to pretend it did not exist, Gilbert, Leather Weather, Mall Chicks and all). SCTV, however, was really something I could get into, and it was seriously on target most of the time as well as being more innovative and inventive.

Raleigh B
08-29-2010, 06:01 PM
Was SNL Season 6 the one with Denny Dillon, Gilbert Gottfried, Christine Ebersol, etc.? Fridays was probably funnier than that crap.

At least the Musical Guests mainly redeemed a part of that season - Kid Creole and The Coconuts, Captain Beefheart, Joe 'King' Carrasco and the Crowns, Prince, James Brown, Cheap Trick. Although I knew I was no fan of Musicals with that damn Pirates of Penzance happening on the David Carradine episode, I knew that listening to the others pretty much awakened my musical interests as a kid.

Marshall Crist
05-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Better than nothing?

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Fridays-The-Best-Of/18433

Marshall Crist
08-06-2013, 09:16 PM
My bad. Many of the episodes on the FRIDAYS set are cut. Fuck that noise.

Brian W
08-06-2013, 11:38 PM
While SNL had some great seasons nothing can touch SCTV at their peak for me.
Eugene Levy has to be the funniest actor ever.

Then a lot of the SCTV alumni went on to some of the funniest films of all time...mocumentaries such as WAITING FOR GUFFMAN and A MIGHTY WIND.,

Tony D
08-07-2013, 03:36 AM
This is like the arguments that happen in sports and music all the time. Do you go with the performer who had the highest PEAK, or the one with greatest long-term career?

I think the compact "peak" of SCTV takes it for me, but, it's hard to diss the impact and longevity of SNL. In the end, we are lucky to have them both.

P.S. And, for those that diss (deservedly) the MANY poor seasons of SNL, should also keep in mind some pretty bad post-John Candy SCTV seasons.

Brian W
08-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Another thing to consider is SNL hires already established performers like Martin Short bringing their already honed schtick to SNL.

Rich K
08-11-2013, 02:27 PM
SCTV was much more consistent. SNL (except for that glorious Michael O'Donoghue period) was very hit or miss.
Loved the movie parodies SCTV did (The Godfather, Chinatown) and The Lampoon influenced Joe Cocker, Mr. Mike and Little Train that Could bit's from SNL.

Steve R
08-12-2013, 12:07 AM
SNL was very hit or miss right from the start. Lousy producing and slipshod editing that let far too many
sketches in that simply were not funny.

Though Bill Murray as the lounge singer in the ski lodge singing the theme to Star Wars was killer.A lot of Belushi and Akyroyd's
stuff was great. Those first two, three seasons had some real gems. On any give 90 minute time slot you got maybe fifteen to twenty minutes of well written and staged comedy sketches. No Coke ,Pepsi. And major kudos to whoever booked the musical guests. That was almost unfailingly the most consistent part of the show.