PDA

View Full Version : Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band vs. Pet Sounds

mark t
09-13-2006, 07:13 AM
These albums get compared a lot. You almost don't hear about one without the other. Sgt. Pepper has been called the greatest album ever made....it's also been called the most overrated piece of wax to hit a record stand. Pet Sounds is regarded as the most underrated pop album ever made....the Beach Boys are almost a joke at this point, though.

I personally think that Sgt. Pepper flows better than Pet Sounds, AND it has A Day In The Life, which i think might be one of the most beautiful and cohesive songs i've heard. Aside from that though, I think that Pet Sounds' two most popular tracks, "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and "God Only Knows" completely blow the Lennon/McCartney songwriting duo off of the map.

Which do you prefer?

Paul Casey
09-13-2006, 07:49 AM
WOw, tough one. I love Sgt. Pepper's and have been listening to it since I was a kid. Pet Sounds, however, has this something that I can't quite name. I listen to it every time I open up the store. I love it.

Therefore, I gave Pet Sounds the edge.

Gary Banks
09-13-2006, 08:48 AM
I went with Pepper. It has been ingrained into me for the past 39 years.

Aleck Bennett
09-13-2006, 08:48 AM
Pet Sounds. Whether or not the Beach Boys are a joke at this point (they don't even really exist right now outside of Mike Love and his gang of hired hacks) is irrelevant. What matters is the music they made at the time, and there's hardly anything that touches this record (indeed, without it, Sgt. Pepper wouldn't even exist). The album, for me, flows much better than Pepper, and is heartbreaking in its progression from the yearning innocence of "Wouldn't It Be Nice?" to the finality and loss heard in "Caroline, No." Pepper is remarkably inconsistent -- it contains a number of great songs, and the production and performances are top-notch, but it's way too Paul-heavy, IMO. I could lose "Getting Better" and "Lovely Rita" and never miss them, and "When I'm Sixty-Four" is too cutesy by half. The concept itself falls apart after "With a Little Help From My Friends" and doesn't pick up until the end of the record. I'd go so far as to say that I prefer Magical Mystery Tour to Pepper.

Now, if the choices were Revolver vs. Pet Sounds, then I'd be stuck.

John G.
09-13-2006, 08:55 AM
Sgt. Pepper. The album is a masterpiece, even the so-called "lesser" songs. "Fixing a Hole" is my favorite.

mark t
09-13-2006, 09:33 AM
Pet Sounds. Whether or not the Beach Boys are a joke at this point (they don't even really exist right now outside of Mike Love and his gang of hired hacks) is irrelevant. What matters is the music they made at the time, and there's hardly anything that touches this record

In keeping things fair, i had to say something negative about the Beach Boys to correlate with the comment about Sgt. Pepper being called overrated. :) I would've liked to have said something about Pet Sounds being completely inconsistent with all of their earlier work...aside from the harmonies, it's almost inconceivable to me that Pet Sounds is a work of the Beach Boys. I do like their earlier stuff, but it's got a ridiculous camp value for the most part. The music that they were making before Pet Sounds, is IMO about as hokey as Mike Love's current incarnation of the Beach Boys....a bunch of dudes in hawaiian shirts singing about going to the beach and driving their cars.

I'd go so far as to say that I prefer Magical Mystery Tour to Pepper.

I would disagree with you there, only because i find the Magical Mystery Tour album (without the tracks that were added as filler by the American label) to be too stark and lacking.

Mike Brown
09-13-2006, 09:46 AM
I really like Pet Sounds for the most part, but I've got to go with Pepper as a whole. My favorite Beatles album however is The White Album.

Christopher M.
09-13-2006, 10:01 AM
I went with pepper, even though it makes me sneeze.

I still remember the first time I smoked a doobie and heard this album. I'd heard it 100 times before, but all of a sudden bass lines were popping up from the cauldron...all sorts of things I'd never caught before.

I do love Pet Sounds, though. When it was released in stereo a few years back it was a revelation.

But I'd also consider FOREVER CHANGES by Love, OGDEN'S NUT GONE FLAKE by the Small Faces, ODESSEY AND ORACLE by the Zombies, and VILLAGE GREEN PRESERVATION SOCIETY by the Kinks...those six albums are gems from start to finish, and all have a wonderful continuity to them.

Ian Z.
09-13-2006, 12:08 PM
PET SOUNDS has it easily over SGT. PEPPER. Is "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite" really a good song??? There's too much garbage on that record. PET SOUNDS is fantastic from start to finish.

Admittedly, I like the Beatles' psych stuff, but I think their supposed classic albums are overrated. Some great songs with too much filler. REVOLVER is the best complete LP, IMO, though "Yellow Submarine" tries hard to kill it.

I really wish the Beach Boys would have completed SMILE back in the day. I'd like to see that one go up against PEPPER.

Matt A
09-13-2006, 12:29 PM
Pet Sounds is regarded as the most underrated pop album ever made....

This has been said so many times I don't think it's valid anymore. I'd even say the opposite is now true. It's like Mark Knopfler. "He's such an underrated guitarist." Not if everyone says that.

Because The Beach Boys are somewhat of a novelty act it makes the fact that they, or more specifically Brian Wilson, created such a great album all the more noteworthy.

I don't know where I'm going with all this...just rambling since I don't own either album. :p

No vote from me.

Don Guarisco
09-13-2006, 12:45 PM
Definitely PET SOUNDS for me. SGT. PEPPER'S is an amazing technical feat - in record production, engineering, arrangements and song construction - but PET SOUNDS has all that (achieved in mono, no less) and it also has an emotional depth that gives it the edge on SGT. PEPPER'S. PET SOUNDS has songs about growing up, learning what it means (and feels like) to fall in love and what it's like when you realize your idealized visions of being an adult and being in love don't necessarily live up to the reality of such things. I never get tired of hearing it and it moves me just as much every time.

And if we're talking about forgotten masterpieces of late 60's pop, don't forget to mention S.F. SORROW by the Pretty Things. Their PARACHUTE album, despite dating from 1970, is equally worthy of mention.

Ian Jane
09-13-2006, 12:59 PM
Pet Sounds, for reasons that Don and Aleck have already explained.

Lewis G.
09-13-2006, 01:14 PM
Pet Sounds, for the same reasons:mainly because nobody was ready for it considering it was the beach boys after all.

mark t
09-13-2006, 01:30 PM
I think that if this album had Good Vibrations on it, it might be my favourite album ever.

Tom K
09-13-2006, 02:46 PM
I could never get into The Beach Boys...For some reason, I just find all their stuff unlistenable...And I have tried...also watched docs on them to try and help my aversion towards them, but to no avail...

My Beatles fixation goes in waves...at times, I am into all of their later stuff...other times, I can't get enough of their "bubblegum" years...But regardess, I am a fan...

So I voted Pepper's

Jeffrey M2
09-13-2006, 02:50 PM
PET SOUNDS over SGT. PEPPER.

FRIENDS over SGT. PEPPER.

SUNFLOWER over SGT. PEPPER.

Hell, *any* Beach Brothers over any Beatles records... Brian's production was far more radical and idiosyncratic than anyone else was doing, with a far wider (and yet somehow more personal) range of influences. The Beatles just sound like classical music wannabees (in Paul's case) or blues wannabees (in John's). Brian and his music was *always* much weirder and more interesting than John or Paul's, though you'd never know it from the same six hits classic radio plays over and over...

Gord Reller
09-13-2006, 03:06 PM
The Beatles = music geniuses! The Beach Boys = suburban surfers + one nut case! Gord goes with the FAB FOUR!

Chuck C.
09-13-2006, 04:37 PM
I went with Sgt Peppers, I think it has more variety & the
Beatles are my fave band, so I'm biased. I do like
Pet Sounds & think it's their best, altho I enjoy playing Friends
or Sunflower more. Also I do think that the Beach Boys Today
LP had some songs with a Pet Sounds type of vibe, She Knows
Me Too Well, In The Back of My Mind & others. Also
check out Guess I'm Dumb which he wrote & produced
for Glen Campbell in 1965.

Chad Haden
09-13-2006, 06:28 PM
One sucks and the other is PET SOUNDS

Matt A
09-13-2006, 06:30 PM
A question for the Pet Sounds lovers:

When and why did you first buy this album?

Paul Chenault
09-13-2006, 06:36 PM
One sucks and the other is PET SOUNDS

Wow, Chad! I never would have thought you would hate Sgt. Pepper. I was taken back.

Chad Haden
09-13-2006, 07:06 PM
I'm not a Beatles fan at all and Sgt. Pepper just comes across as psychedelic garbage to me

I got into Pet Sounds when I was 22 and a friend hipped me to Forever Changes, Ogden's Nut Gone Flake, S.F. Sorrow and Pet Sounds all around the same time.

Matt A
09-13-2006, 07:08 PM
I got into Pet Sounds when I was 22 and a friend hipped me to Forever Changes, Ogden's Nut Gone Flake, S.F. Sorrow and Pet Sounds all around the same time.

Around 2002 then?

Jeffrey M2
09-13-2006, 07:38 PM
I can think of a hundred records from the 60s better than SGT. PEPPER

Chad Haden
09-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Around 2002 then?

Yeah, it would of been around the fall of 2002

Matt A
09-13-2006, 07:51 PM
Yeah, it would of been around the fall of 2002

Okay. I'm just trying to pinpoint when the tides turned for this album. I started reading MOJO around 2002-2003 and they would hype Pet Sounds and Brian Wilson quite a bit. I just saw a TV ad for the remastered expanded version of Pet Sounds and the narrator talks about how it's one of the most critically acclaimed albums of all time.

I do also recall my friend John Porcellino putting Pet Sounds on one of his Top 10 lists in his KING-CAT comics in the mid-90's and I thought, "The Beach Boys? Really?"

Shows what I know. :D

Chad Haden
09-13-2006, 07:57 PM
Pet Sounds was always more respected in the British press like Forever Changes or Screamadelica.

I started reading MOJO in '02 as well and it definantly had a big impact on stuff I've listened to since then

Evan C. Price
09-13-2006, 08:17 PM

Whoa, whoa, whoa there, slick. Let's not go gettin' out of hand. :rolleyes:

Whatever your opinion, I think it would be hard to deny that of the two records, Sgt. Pepper at least has more variety -- starting with the number of lead voices/personalities (four rather than one-and-a-half, if we're counting Mike Love). I mean, okay, Ringo didn't write "Little Help From My Friends," but he freakin' made the song his own and it's always been nice to have him there on track #2.

I love The Beach Boys at their creative peak just as much as anyone, but for me Pet Sounds is really a Brian Wilson solo project, and too much of his relentless self-pity can be wearying. I agree that it's brilliant for a good chunk of the running time, but right around the point of "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" I have the tendency to hit the STOP button. By that time the album has worn out its welcome both lyrically and musically, and I'm no longer interested.

Pepper, despite having what I think is one of George Harrison's dullest songs shoved rudely in the center of the album (they should've used his "Only A Northern Song" instead, which was the original idea), flows effortlessly and has a nice sense of artistic one-upmanship from Lennon and McCartney that eventually surfaces on the amazing "Day in the Life". Brian Wilson never really had anyone even resembling serious competition until his brother Dennis started writing tunes on "Friends", and that's partly why his music on Pet Sounds lacks the same resonance as The Beatles.

Besides, Wilson has said himself in interviews that Pet Sounds would not exist if it weren't for Rubber Soul. So there. :D

Kristian R
09-13-2006, 08:31 PM
I'm a Pepper. But Pet Sounds is a fine, fine album.

Chad Haden
09-13-2006, 09:00 PM

As can I

Kristian R
09-13-2006, 09:23 PM
I can think of two hundred records from the 60s better than Pet Sounds. So suck it.

:)

Chad Haden
09-13-2006, 09:25 PM
I can think of 11 gazillion records better than Sgt. Pepper's. Bite it.

Kristian R
09-13-2006, 09:30 PM
I can think of 100 bazillion-jillion records from the 60s better than Pet Sounds. Now swallow.

Chad Haden
09-13-2006, 09:33 PM
I can think of infinity x a fuckzillion records from the dawn of time onwards better than Sgt Peppers. Toss my salad.

Kristian R
09-13-2006, 09:41 PM
I can think of several wet farts that I have heard that are better than Pet Sounds. Now felch my jizz from your (female relative of your choice)'s bunger.

Chad Haden
09-13-2006, 09:45 PM
I've heard cats fuck with more harmony than anything on Sgt. Pepper's. Now give a hobo with leprosy a toe job.

mark t
09-13-2006, 09:55 PM
If you two dickholes (haha) get my fucking hippy music thread locked down, you're BOTH gonna be sucking it. Just so you know.

Kristian R
09-13-2006, 09:58 PM
I've belched catchier tunes than anything on Pet Sounds. Now go star in another German Schei├če video and make sure to brown bag it so you can bring the leftovers home for later enjoyment.

Kristian R
09-13-2006, 09:59 PM
If you two dickholes (haha) get my fucking hippy music thread locked down, you're BOTH gonna be sucking it. Just so you know.

Choke on it hippy!

Mike Howlett
09-13-2006, 10:08 PM
Two great records. I'm going with Sgt. Peppers, though. I'm a bigger Beatles fan by far.

Chad Haden
09-13-2006, 10:10 PM
Choke on it hippy!

Yeah, you fucking hippy! Go listen to some fucking Marillion! :)

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39031000/jpg/_39031969_neil_270.jpg

Chad Haden
09-13-2006, 10:12 PM
When I was a kid in Texas and my granddad would take me to work at the slaughterhouse with him, I heard shit that sounded way better than anything on Sgt. Pepper's could ever sound. Go kiss Matthew Allison

Kristian R
09-13-2006, 10:13 PM
"Kill the hippy!"

Kristian R
09-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Go kiss Matthew Allison

Now that's just wrong. Fucker.

Chad Haden
09-13-2006, 10:15 PM
"I hope Mike brings back the cure"

"No Neil, it's Madness this week"

Chad Haden
09-13-2006, 10:17 PM

Leave it to me to bring the thread down several notches. Usually that's Swedish Joe's job.

Kristian R
09-13-2006, 10:19 PM
"Every morning I take a good poo before I get out of bed."

Kristian R
09-13-2006, 10:25 PM
Leave it to me to bring the thread down several notches. Usually that's Swedish Joe's job.

You just had to get this thread shut down, didn't you?

Chad Haden
09-13-2006, 10:30 PM
Don't blame me, blame society...and that dickhole Allison

Kristian R
09-13-2006, 10:32 PM
I blame Canada... and that dickhole Allison.

Chad Haden
09-13-2006, 10:37 PM
Yeah, you'll note that this thread compares an American album and a British album. Where's the Canadian equivalent to either of these albums? I'll show you:

http://www.bryanadams.com/onlineshop/images/Rec14.jpg

Kristian R
09-13-2006, 10:42 PM
I think we need a Brian Adams' "Reckless" vs. Loverboy's "Get Lucky" poll now.

Howard Farmer
09-13-2006, 10:47 PM
Both were extraordinary in their day and it's a tough choice but I went for Sgt. Pepper (uh... says the guy with the avatar). Both albums have songs that can still sound fresh to me. I'm just finishing up 'Here, There and Everywhere, My Life Recording the Music of THE BEATLES" by Geoff Emerick who worked as an engineer on many of their recordings. He was there for Pepper. Intersting book. :)

mark t
09-13-2006, 10:59 PM
Yeah, you'll note that this thread compares an American album and a British album. Where's the Canadian equivalent to either of these albums? I'll show you:

Here's your fucking equivalent, you dickhole....

http://rateyourmusic.com/album_images2/206253.jpg

Aleck Bennett
09-13-2006, 11:24 PM

I bought it in the early 90s, though I'd had access to it on vinyl for a long time before. I'd been a Beach Boys fan for years, but this was the first time I'd actually bought it.

(For what it's worth insofar as the poll goes, Sgt. Pepper was one of the three first records I ever picked out on my own -- that, the White Album, and DEVO's Freedom of Choice.)

Steve Greenfield
09-14-2006, 03:17 AM
I purchased Sgt. Pepper back in '77 or '78. It wasn't till sometime in the '90s that I purchased a remastered version of Pet Sounds.

I dunno... just never was into surfin' cars.

Steve P.
09-14-2006, 06:59 AM
Both albums are grossly overrated. "Revolver", "Rubber Soul", and "Abbey Road" are much more consistent albums. "Pet Sounds" may be the best Beach Boys album and I recognize it's influence but I don't think it's the masterpiece it's been portrayed as.

My pick from the same era would be Love's "Forever Changes". Quite possibly the pinnacle of all 60s music.

Chad Haden
09-14-2006, 08:23 AM
Here's your fucking equivalent, you dickhole....

http://rateyourmusic.com/album_images2/206253.jpg

A period?

mark t
09-14-2006, 11:17 AM
A period?

nah, there was a picture there of the Gruesomes "Tyrants of Teen Trash" quite possibly the best garage album ever recorded. It must be offline. I recommend going and throwing on your copy, which i burned for you a bunch of years ago.

Matt A
09-14-2006, 11:36 AM

What? Why? I'm a great smoocher, dickhole!

Chad Haden
09-14-2006, 06:01 PM
nah, there was a picture there of the Gruesomes "Tyrants of Teen Trash" quite possibly the best garage album ever recorded. It must be offline. I recommend going and throwing on your copy, which i burned for you a bunch of years ago.

Oh yeah! That is a great fucking album!

William R.
09-14-2006, 06:23 PM

I've had the album for as long as I can remember. Stolen from the parents, or someone's record collection when I started to stockpile vinyl in Jr. High. I didn't really "listen" to it until some years later, but it's been a mainstay since, if I had to hazzard a guess, '97-ish. I never re-purchased the album until I picked up the box set a few years ago. It's a good album that approaches greatness, it might be a bit overrated these days, but what album isn't? Revolver sure as fuck is.

Like lots of other fools have pointed out, I can name quite a few albums from the era better than either of them. I'm not going to says 100 because then someone can call you on your shit and tell you to do it. I will say at least 10 when it comes to Pet Sounds, quite a few more when it comes to Sgt. Pepper. I never, ever cared for that album and it's nowhere near my favorite Beatles records. If anything, it's the record they completely lost me with.

Kristian R
09-14-2006, 09:15 PM
What? Why? I'm a great smoocher, dickhole!

OK, I will admit you are my favorite dickhole. After my own of course...

Justin Frank
09-14-2006, 10:53 PM
Great Poll -

I voted Pet Sounds without a moment's hesitation. A friend of mine played some of it for me back around '99 and it just floored me. I listened to that record every day for at least a year, and it still blows my mind every time I listen to it. The writing, the performances, the production - it is the pop masterpiece.

I love the Beatles, even more than I do the Beach Boys, but I'm in the "Pepper is overrated" camp. It's got some brilliant tunes on it, but it's inconsistent overall. I prefer Rubber Soul and Revolver. And Abbey Road.

Several years ago I saw Brian Wilson perform Pet Sounds in it's entirety in Dallas. He had the Wondermints as his backing band, and they did a good job recreating the music and backing-vocals. Brian had to read from a tele-prompter a lot, I think he baked himself too much to remember lyrics anymore. It was kinda sad, but really beautiful too...

Randy Thomas G
09-15-2006, 03:01 AM
There's a lot of truisms regarding these albums which just happen, imo, to be true.

Sgt. Pepper's only really memorable track is A Day in the Life, which may be one of the best Beatles tracks ever, but the rest of the album is forgettable.

Pet Sounds, I picked a vinyl copy out of some bargain bin (same one I picked up Springsteen's Nebraska!) because I had heard it was good but had always hated the Beach Boys because they seemed so square. Completely blew me away, although I also love Today!, Summer Days and Nights and Wild Honey. The boots of the original Smile sessions also have a lot of great stuff on it. I don't think the re-recorded version of Smile BW released a year or so ago was as strong as the original tapes.

Dennis Wilson's tracks ('Little Bird,' 'Be Still,' 'Be With Me,') on the late 60s/early 70s records are also great, he's really underrated.

I think I got into Pet Sounds sometime around 1996 at least because I remember being stoked that 'God Only Knows' was used in Boogie Nights which came out in 1997.

Paul Chenault
09-16-2006, 08:59 AM
Pet Sounds was always more respected in the British press like Forever Changes or Screamadelica.

I started reading MOJO in '02 as well and it definantly had a big impact on stuff I've listened to since then

So, in 2002, a Beach Boys album that's been around for decades had an huge impact on what you listen to? Elaborate.

I listen to Pet Sounds when I was young. My parents used to listen to Oldies and it used to be one of my favorite time periods of music. Pet Sounds is great, tons of people were influenced by it ie. Mr. Bungle's California. I respect it and appreciate it for what it is, but I do not think it changed my life.

Neither of the albums changed my life.

I think you are overexaggerating the point you hate Sgt Pepper because, well, it's the Beatles. Beatles can be easily written off as one of the most overrated bands ever.

Bill Pissott
09-18-2006, 08:19 PM
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band