PDA

View Full Version : Doors Fans - "Bright Midnight: Live In America"

Bill Pissott
09-10-2006, 07:23 PM
What do u folks think of it? I like it. The Doors had a much more raw, almost garage type sound live as opposed to in studio IMHO. Not as polished but still good. "Bright Midnight" is a perfect example of that I think. They stretch it out live also. For example, "Light My Fire" clocks in at 11 and a half minutes. Not nearly as smooth as the version off the first studio album but frantic and frenetic. I'm not a huge fan of Krieger's guitar playing and the guitar solo in "Fire" is pretty choppy but there is some kind of appeal to it that I like. "The End" runs 16 minutes and 15 seconds and again, it's much more raw but still retains the spookiness of the studio cut. The medley of Love Me Two Times>Baby Please Don't Go>St. James Infirmary again, has a raw-punkish feel that is quite entertaining. Any fans have this? Thoughts?

http://www.bluebeat.com/i/a/l/l1828.jpg

Zane C.
09-10-2006, 08:01 PM
I don't have this, Bill, but I'm going to look into getting it. I actually like the Doors' live stuff, although some of it is hit or miss. I can definitely admit that, and I'm a fan!

You're right about the raw sound of the Doors; their live material is much different than their studio output, but that kind of adds to the charm at times. Mind you, on nights when Morrison was passing out on stage, or hammered beyond comprehension, their live show could easily go South, as evidenced by a couple of performances caught live. Kreiger and crew had to learn to be pretty good improvisational musicans for this very reason. Mind you, they had their bad nights as well.

Kreiger has been overlooked as a guitarist, but really, compared to the contemporaries he had in the 1960's, it isn't surprising. He's a solid, but not great player. He's pretty much said as much himself. The Doors were capable musicians who got better as they went along, it looks like, although the mystique of Morrison carried them a lot farther than they would have gotten otherwise, IMO. He was alternately brilliant and utterly shitty at the same time, and it seems like you never knew what type of perfromance he would put on; he's since become a legend to many people, although the truth is sometimes less interesting than the mythology built around him. It would have been interesting to see what kind of material he turned out in later years, had he lived, as I think he may have straightened up and channeled his songwriting prowess more. But really, who knows? He may have continued down the self-destructive path he was on. Some of the live stuff out there, like ABSOLUTELY LIVE, is very good, and some of the bootlegs floating around are sub par shows.

Do you own ABSOLUTELY LIVE, Bill? What do you think of it?

BTW: A great read, if you like The Doors, is Stephen Davis' book about Morrison. The title escapes me at the moment.

Bill Pissott
09-10-2006, 08:12 PM
Definitely hit or miss with them as a live unit. Funny you brought up "Absolutely Live". I've had that thing for ages, upgrading along the way and often ask myself why I keep holding on to it? I'm split on that album actually, always have been I suppose. Some of the stuff is freakin' excellent like the cover of "Who Do you Love", a neat version of "Soul Kitchen" and a monster "When The Music's Over". Other stuff seems quite dull at times and James seems to be going through the motions. It's part of my youth so it will always have a place in my collection.

I like your point on the other members of the band having to sharpen their improv skills because of the unpredictability of Morrison. Very true Zane and they do a good job of it under the circumstances. That's something that shouldn't be overlooked.

Damian P
09-10-2006, 09:26 PM
I heard this in a record store a few weeks ago. I thought it was fantastic. Very raw. Some of the younger more hip-hop oriented customers were hating life because of it but I was pleased.
Another record I need to pick up.

Randy Thomas G
09-10-2006, 11:24 PM
Looks good, one more record to pick up. The Doors were a big influence on Joy Division, Ian Curtis mentioned them all the time in interviews. I often wonder what all the goth kids would make of that.

Bill Pissott
09-11-2006, 10:56 AM
I know this was asked before in another thread, I think by Tolch, but I'm too lazy to look. What is THE BEST live concert DVD on the market today for The Doors?