PDA

View Full Version : VEEEENNNOOOMMMM!!

Chad Haden
09-09-2006, 10:21 PM
Doesn't quite have that Slayer ring to it, does it?

I just had my first experience with Venom the other day when I ran across the In League With Satan 7" and I enjoyed it, are any of their albums worth buying?

Andrew Monroe
09-09-2006, 10:38 PM
Get Welcome To Hell, it`s all you need (but it is MANDATORY).

John G.
09-09-2006, 10:43 PM
I'd also recommend At War With Satan and it's hilarious 20 minute faux-epic title track.

Horace Cordier
09-09-2006, 10:52 PM
Actually, the first 3 are all mandatory. "Black Metal" is probably considered their classic album, though I slightly prefer "Welcome To Hell".

All 3, by btw, sound like they were recorded in a toilet bowl - but they were cut loud, so they sound great. The crude production, mixed with Crono's gargly vocals and the nasty guitars and tin-canny drums make the damn things work.

Great stuff. Get the Sanctuary cds as they are stuffed with bonus tracks (singles, b-sides and demos) and some of VENOM's best songs were on singles - like "Warhead".

Damian P
09-10-2006, 01:46 AM
Ah, VENOM, the true SPINAL TAP of Metal.

William R.
09-10-2006, 01:47 AM
Ah, VENOM, the true SPINAL TAP of Metal.

NONE MORE BLACK!

Damian P
09-10-2006, 01:56 AM
NONE MORE BLACK!

More like NONE MORE DRUNK! :D

Tom K
09-10-2006, 05:01 AM
Actually, the first 3 are all mandatory. "Black Metal" is probably considered their classic album, though I slightly prefer "Welcome To Hell".

All 3, by btw, sound like they were recorded in a toilet bowl - but they were cut loud, so they sound great. The crude production, mixed with Crono's gargly vocals and the nasty guitars and tin-canny drums make the damn things work.

Great stuff. Get the Sanctuary cds as they are stuffed with bonus tracks (singles, b-sides and demos) and some of VENOM's best songs were on singles - like "Warhead".

What Horace said...The first three albums are classic...after that, it is give or take...The first three was a mixture of NWOBHM, Punk, and what later became death metal...

Venom did take Slayer out on their first tour, so there has to be a respect level...

Luckily, I saw the original line up back in 97...Great show...

They just played Chicago and it was Cronos and three other guys...Although their set list was classic, I did not go...the Brutal Truth reunion was happening the same night...So I went to that instead...

Venom was and is a huge influence on my music career...Same with many other bands out there...

Bård Haugland
09-10-2006, 05:23 AM
Is there a band I find overrated, it's Venom. What I've heard of them is incredibly boring. But then you may be thinking "he just likes technical music anyways", and that's wrong. I can listen to anything if it's good music, and Venom ain't, it's as simple as that.

Robert Wilkins
09-10-2006, 10:40 AM
Doesn't quite have that Slayer ring to it, does it?

I just had my first experience with Venom the other day when I ran across the In League With Satan 7" and I enjoyed it, are any of their albums worth buying?

Fortunately for you, Welcome To Hell and Black Metal were re-released a few years back. The discs also contain the Bloodlust and Die Hard singles so you just have to get those two and you'll be all set Venom-wise.

Tom K
09-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Is there a band I find overrated, it's Venom. What I've heard of them is incredibly boring. But then you may be thinking "he just likes technical music anyways", and that's wrong. I can listen to anything if it's good music, and Venom ain't, it's as simple as that.

That's cool...Venom is not for everybody...Most of the people who dig them grew up with them...Kind of like a "you had to be there" thing...

They were raw, sloppy, and brutal...and that's what I dig...

Ian Jane
09-10-2006, 01:09 PM
I love Venom.

John G.
09-10-2006, 02:55 PM
Venom ist krieg.

Randy Thomas G
09-10-2006, 11:28 PM
They just played Chicago and it was Cronos and three other guys...Although their set list was classic, I did not go...the Brutal Truth reunion was happening the same night...So I went to that instead...

Good choice, BT are probably much better live than Venom.

Y. Dudelle
09-11-2006, 01:13 AM
The B side of that single is probably their coolest song in my opinion, but you should still get Welcome To Hell and Black Metal.

Chad Haden
09-11-2006, 09:52 AM
I got Black Metal yesterday, I'm digging it

Ray Kanne
09-11-2006, 11:09 AM
Allthough I love to listen to the three first albums for nostalgic value or partying hard, "Temples of Ice" and the late eighties stuff is what I listen to when I want to listen to Venom just for the music. Better production, more advanced playing, double guitars and some great 'icy' guitar solos.