PDA

View Full Version : How'd you do in school?

Matt A
09-08-2006, 07:46 PM
I was a so-so student. I usually scored B's in Science, Social Studies and Language Arts, and C's in Math. I graduated with a 3.2 after filling my senior year schedule with art classes.

I was at the Rocky Mountain School of Art and Design for two trimesters, failed a Math course and decided not to go back when I was told to re-take it. A regrettable decision but at the time I just didn't have it in me. I've never seriously considered going back to school.

Todd J
09-08-2006, 07:53 PM
I was an honor student but never tried to be one. Dean's list in college. I hated school and never brought books home, but seemed to be able to absorb shit in class and somehow got good grades.

I have no plans to ever step foot in an official classroom again.

Christoffer S
09-08-2006, 07:57 PM
I didnt care for highschool. Then returned to education a few years later, got top grades without even giving it my all, and have been going that route ever sience.

Im contemplating taking a year and getting a fucking diploma from the university in something. (I have lots of loose ends, nothing fully finnished)

Troy Howarth
09-08-2006, 08:00 PM
Grade school and high school I did well enough academically, but often scored poorly in terms of conduct - we were actually graded on those things in grade school.

I did very well in college, after a rocky start - my first term I failed two of my four courses, because I was irresponsible, but then I consistently made the Dean's List.

Alex D
09-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Unspectacular. 7 GCSE's and 2 A-levels in History and Geography. It was enough to get me into university, I chose a HND (higher national diploma) in Countryside Management (I had dreams of becoming a Park Ranger)...and dropped out after a month

Bård Haugland
09-08-2006, 08:14 PM
I got 5.0/6 in average when I went out of tenth grade.

Matt A
09-08-2006, 08:17 PM
We had a program in junior high called "Gifted and Talented" that my art teacher nominated me for. Not wanting to be singled out for something like that I never brought home the papers for my parents to sign. That's another regret.

After high school I won a scholarship to the Kansas City Art Institute but it was for only $2,000 a year and I think tuition at that time was at least 14 grand per year so my parents couldn't afford it. The school I ended up at had just started their fine arts program and in an effort to get higher enrollment began handing out half tuition scholarships to pretty much anyone. It was a 45 minute drive from my house so that's where I ended up...until that damn math class. I'd park my car in mall parking lots on the days I had math, listen to the stereo and write letters to my girlfriend, who did end up at the KC Art Institute. Can't pass if you don't show up.

Todd J
09-08-2006, 08:58 PM
I still have bad dreasm about skipping school and having to make it up. There was one point in my college career I skipped a solid month of school. I was in a bad depression. When I started feeling better I went to each professor and explained my plight and asked them for some leeway and they all helped me out.

But I still have bad dreams about it.

Josh S
09-08-2006, 09:04 PM
I had like a 3.3 in high school. The first time I went to college I had like 2.0 becasue I never went to class. Since I've been back I've got it up to 3.0.

Alex D
09-08-2006, 09:08 PM
I had like a 3.3 in high school. The first time I went to college I had like 2.0 becasue I never went to class. Since I've been back I've got it up to 3.0.

What is 2.0 and 3.3...? I know nothing about the US education system

Matt A
09-08-2006, 09:11 PM
You have a grade point average with 4.0 being the highest, meaning straight A's. I had mainly B's and A's, with a few C's scattered here and there so I ended up with a 3.2, which is like a B- average.

J Fresta
09-08-2006, 09:25 PM
i BARELY made it through high school. and i mean I think I graduated with Ds... MAYBE Cs... depended on the class.

I did about a year and a half of community college... and except for music classes didn't do that great. and now i work for Viacom.

what the fuck happened? not a clue how I got here.

in fact.. i'm at my desk right now writing this post... and i know the boss isn't going to get angry... because right now... that's me. :confused:

i guess I do have to admit that I have above average con-artist skills.

Matt A
09-08-2006, 09:31 PM
I got out of school being just smart enough to know how dumb I am. I'm teetering on the edge.

Fred Adelman
09-08-2006, 09:57 PM
I wasted my life getting a BS in bio-chemistry only to find out that I hated doing it in real life. I despised working in a lab. Repetitive tasks running endlessly. Got out of it after less than a year and went into computers. Worked for myself for several years until the Government made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I needed a degree in college to get the job, even if it had nothing to do with my specialty. Getting the BS turned out to be a good thing.

Bill Pissott
09-08-2006, 09:59 PM
Didn't do good at all. Went to one of those catholic grammar schools where they pretty much promoted us just to get us the fuck out of there. Caused way, way too much trouble.

High School was bad because I pretty much spent those years fucked up out of my mind. Needed to go to summer school freshman through junior year. Pulled it together for senior year because I needed every single credit to graduate.

Only went to college for two years but did ok. Made the deans list one semester.

Adam C
09-08-2006, 10:30 PM
In high school I did well in everything except math. Honors English classes except for one grade.

In college I struggled again with math but was able to squeeze by, did great in everything else. I should have chosen a different major though and I still think about going back.

David Huber
09-08-2006, 10:37 PM
Grade school through high school- mostly A's with very little effort.
1st 2 years of college- A's and B's.
Next 3 years of college- drank like a fish, had a few semesters with a 1.0 GPA, dropped out twice and eventually got myself together.
Last 2 years of college (still undergrad...leave me alone...)- brought my grades up and got a BA in Psychology, graduated with a 3.01 GPA.

Josh S
09-08-2006, 10:38 PM
In high school I did well in everything except math. Honors English classes except for one grade.

In college I struggled again with math but was able to squeeze by, did great in everything else. I should have chosen a different major though and I still think about going back.

What's your major?

Fred Adelman
09-08-2006, 10:59 PM
What's your major?

He's probably a CPA for Haliburton! :D

Randy Thomas G
09-09-2006, 12:42 AM
I was constantly in shit throughout elementary school (I think yanks call it grade school) and coasted through junior high but got serious in high school (grade 11 & 12) because we were told that our GPA determined whether we would make it into a good university or not. But when I saw some of the idiots who made it into university I realized that this was probably bullshit.

I did well in everything except math (I received a P for grade 11 math, I don't know if that grade even exists anymore). In University I did well except I was pretty burned out by my third and fourth year of my B.A. when I realized I didn't want to actually do what I had majored in but didn't have the guts to drop it and switch to something else.

Things seem to have worked out post-school though so what the hell, although I may go back sometime, I don't look forward to it.

Adam C
09-09-2006, 12:43 AM
What's your major?

Computer sciences, emphasis on networking (I could program too but didn't like it.) I just lost interest toward the end.

I had a professor really encouraging me to do something creative like writing or acting (same thing teachers told me throughout high school, I didn't listen then either). But I was almost done by the time I realized I should have gone for something else. Woe is me. :(

Elske McCain
09-09-2006, 04:11 AM
I was in the gifted program from preschool till Junior High. I skipped first grade. When I hit junior high I was still in honors courses and did well in everything except for math. When I got my first F in Math everything kinda went down hill and I kinda stopped caring. I graduated with a 3.33. Then I did a year of community college where I took Spanish, keyboarding, Drama, Algebra and English 101. I got all A's. I had to have a tudor for math though. Then I dropped out.

William R.
09-09-2006, 04:26 AM
I don't recall how I did in Grammar School. Ok I reckon. Jr. High began my decline. I got kicked out of Malcolm X Shabazz HS and had to attend "Alternative School" my jr. year. I got let backin Sr. Year, but of the 180 something days I only went 20 tops to attempt learning something. I didn't graduate.

School was only good for two things. Money and Pussy.

I went to adult high school and got my diploma in six weeks.

I told you I was stupid.

Mike Howlett
09-09-2006, 06:49 AM
I was on the honor roll. I had a 163 IQ test.

I dropped out of 10th grade and joined a band and did a lot of drugs.

Now I am a maniac.

Is that considered going full circle, or a steady decline?

Damian P
09-09-2006, 11:00 AM
I spent a good portion of my high school years either in detention or suspension. I graduated but not with high marks. I hated HS. Some of the worst years of my life.

I changed my shit around in college. After 2-1/2 years I made the Dean's List a few times and left with a GPA of 3.8. I'm no longer enrolled nor did I graduate.

Mike Brown
09-09-2006, 11:28 AM
I did pretty well. Honor Society in junior high. Cruised through high school doing as little as possible, but just enough to get into college. 3.3 grade avg. in college. Dean's list a couple of times. B.A. in Business. I have yet to put my degree to work for me though. I've never wanted to put on a tie for work. I've been lucky for the most part.

Martin N
09-09-2006, 12:06 PM
At junior school I did okay. I had a shit time at secondry school and was hardly ever there but managed to scrape through with Cs.

I dossed about for a year then got frog marched on to some youth employment scheme with placements at crap McJobs. I hated it but through it I got to go and do my A levels at college. Surprisingly I did well with my A levels and was pursuaded at the last minute to give uni a try. I got a grant and that's where I'm at now...

Christoffer S
09-09-2006, 12:34 PM
but what is this Deans list you americans mention so much?

Tom K
09-09-2006, 01:01 PM

Not sure, but I think that is 3.6 GPA or higher...

I did ok for the most part in school. In grade school, grades were decent, but conduct was the problem which kept me off honor roll...In 7th grade, I turned it around though...

I did ok in high school my freshman year and first semester of sophomore year...had to go to summer school for failing geometry...Junior year was my worst...Had quite a few F's, but would bring those up to A's, giving me C's for the semester...Senior year, I had all A's and B's...

When I went to college the first time, I graduated with a B average...

Currently I am working on a Bachelor's Degree and am running a 3.8 average...

Wostry Ferenc
09-09-2006, 01:15 PM
Elementary school (8 years here in Hungary): I did excellently, I was a A+ student

High school (I went to "gymnasium", which is the best type of high school here, 4 years): I did fucking awful. I failed 3 times(!!!) and the only reason I shouldn't have repeated any years because I always did good at the so-called re-take exam which was always held at the end of each summer.

I have to add that I had a math teacher who was a genuenly evil person. I know people justify their school problems blaming the teacher, but i swear in this case, this woman was really a psycho bitch.

College: I did great, it was a breeze.

Richard C
09-09-2006, 01:42 PM
9 GCSE's (2 As, 3Bs and 4Cs), 3 A-Levels (Geography (B), History (B) & Biology (C)) and a Degree in Enviromental Science (2:1)

Damian P
09-09-2006, 04:25 PM

A Dean's List is a category of students in a college or university who achieve high grades during their stay in a term. In secondary school, or high schools, the term Consistent Honor List or Honor Roll is more preferred, but Dean's List and Consistent Honor List means exactly the same thing.

Wostry Ferenc
09-09-2006, 04:26 PM
What's a college?

Damian P
09-09-2006, 04:49 PM
What's a college?

Based on my Austin experience it's where people go to get drunk, dress in burnt orange, hate on gays and date rape.

William R.
09-09-2006, 05:03 PM

Up until Damian explained it I figured it was the honor roll, so I guess I was partly right. I never actually went to college. I atteneded lecture halls for the hell of it because there were hundreds of us and no attendence taken. I spent a lot of time there though. Mostly for the woman and the alcohol. Good times not having to get up hungover at eight in the morning to crawl my ass to some pointless Liberal Arts class.

I crashed a lot of history lectures.

Ian Jane
09-09-2006, 09:29 PM
I was an honor student but never tried to be one. Dean's list in college. I hated school and never brought books home, but seemed to be able to absorb shit in class and somehow got good grades.

I have no plans to ever step foot in an official classroom again.

Same here. College was different as I started drinking and doping and not going to class the first year, so my grades dropped, but once I got my shit together it was all aces again.

I don't intend to go back anytime soon either.

Chad Haden
09-09-2006, 10:08 PM
I hated school, rarely bothered to show up and only looked at it as a place to meet girls, take drugs and make a little money. I loved to learn and read but going to high school a couple miles from the beach doesn't exactly lead to the best education when everyone's half-assing it, luckily I had 10 years of Texas schools before I set foot in Florida so I knew how to read and write and count higher than 4 which was a distinct advantage compared to most of my classmates.

I remember the first day of Junior English when the teacher asked us to list some of our favorite books and authors and I gave her my list and she looked at it and looked at me then asked me if I'd really read all these things or just made the titles up :eek: It seems that "On The Road" sounds like something a kid would make up just to throw their teacher off.

I dropped out a couple weeks into my first semester of college and have gone back a couple times since then and am currently enrolled and doing rather well.

Troy Howarth
09-10-2006, 01:42 AM
A college, so far as I was concerned, was a perfeclty reputable institution - so long as one didn't become a member of a fraternity.

William R.
09-10-2006, 02:17 AM
I'm of the impression college is a big waste of time unless you know dead set what it is you want to do from the get go. Otherwise you're wasting your parents or the governments money. That's why you get a hundred kids tyring to enroll in a maxed out Psychology course at the local JC because they just don't know what the fuck.

Everyone I know who went to college just got drunk and laid alot. I did the same thing without blowing 12 grand a year (depending on the college). College is great if you have some sort of drive towards a certain field, but some of these majors are just stupid. Art History? Yea. You might as well just say fuck it and admit you wasted 50 g's. It really all depends on the job market available in regards to your diploma.

Christoffer S
09-10-2006, 09:13 AM
Everyone I know who went to college just got drunk and laid alot. I did the same thing without blowing 12 grand a year (depending on the college). College is great if you have some sort of drive towards a certain field, but some of these majors are just stupid. Art History? Yea. You might as well just say fuck it and admit you wasted 50 g's. It really all depends on the job market available in regards to your diploma.

isn the whole point of college to proove that you can learn = get a diploma, so people who hire you have a lesser chance of hiring a fucktard?

Paul A J Lewis
09-10-2006, 09:42 AM
I'm always struck by exactly how different the American college system is from the British university system. (To say nothing of how different British secondary education is from the American high school system.)

I went to a mixed comprehensive school (which are often under attack in this country, as 'failing') and did well in my GCSEs (which we sit at 16), and then I progressed onto my A Levels. I really wanted to do A Level English, but my dad persuaded me to study 'useful' subjects (Geography, History and Chemistry): it was either that or he was going to try to force me to enrol in the military.

I passed my A Levels, but didn't do brilliantly: I wasn't too interested in the subjects, and being from a working class family I didn't think my chances of going to university were very good.

However, I was offered a place studying for a BSc in Biomedical Chemistry, and I considered taking it but eventually turned it down because it was in a part of the country I couldn't afford to live.

By chance, I managed to stumble into a university offering a BA(Hons) in English and Social Science, much closer to home and in a far less expensive part of the country. I applied through clearing and got a place, graduating with a 2.1.

By that time, I'd discovered what I really enjoyed: studying English literature and film, and when my degree ended I enrolled on an MA in Contemporary Literature and Film. I graduated from that course with a distinction and went on to get my PGCE (a Post-Graduate Certificate of Education) and began teaching.

I began my PhD after a year or so of teaching: I wanted to study for one after completing my MA, but there was no way in the world I would have been able to afford it. Fortunately, my employer is paying for my PhD.

I feel like a swot, but I guess my story is a good example of how a kid from a 'failing' working-class comprehensive can overcome the odds.

Cheers,
Paul

William R.
09-10-2006, 03:35 PM
isn the whole point of college to proove that you can learn = get a diploma, so people who hire you have a lesser chance of hiring a fucktard?

No. Sort of. As I said, it depends on the field. In some cases you're hiring just as big a fucktard with the exception that one fucktatd has a piece of paper that proves he may be less of a fucktard than the guy who didn't go to college. However if the dude who didn't go to college has been doing the same job said guy fresh out of school has been doing without a degree for over five years, his nice expensive piece of paper means squat. It also depends on what your alma matter is, but not so much. In one instance in particular I saw a kid get hired just because he attented (and later dropped out) of the same school the guy doing the hiring did. A good interview goes a long way.

A lot of majors are very good and very important. A lot of majors are also so overcrowded that really unless you want to wind up teaching it, there's no point into following through. It works for some and it doesn't for others. I know kids who graduated college and did go on to better things and I know kids who graduated who work at Gamestop and Applebee's. I also know kids who didn't go to college and work for high profile magazines and then there are kids who didn't go college and shoot heroin and play guitar listening to Yes in their parents basement.

It's what works for you. I suppose it all comes down to determination and a good career choice.

Travis Sheldon
09-10-2006, 11:44 PM
Some of the best sleep of my life was while I was in high school.
As for the rest, it pretty much sucked.
I have a few friends that are worth their salt, but the rest were shitbags extraordinaire.

Y. Dudelle
09-11-2006, 02:46 AM
I had to go to pre-school twice because of behavior. In third grade I got put in a gifted program and I started skipping then. The police came into my class and locked me up for a little bit in tenth grade, a little while after that I dropped out and officially disenrolled. They offered to send me to the University at that time, which would have been completely paid for by the state because of some test scores, but I didn't want to. I don't regret it, I still hate all those motherfuckers. :)

Jason Allen
09-11-2006, 05:32 AM
I made it out of high school by the skin of my teeth. Fuck college. They don't give a shit about you, all they want is your money.

mark t
09-11-2006, 09:10 AM
I did well in school up until about grade 6....gifted class and everything. That's when things went downhill. I was a behavioural issue in highschool, though not too big of one. I didn't fail any classes (though i was only shoved through advanced math because the teacher didn't want me in his class). I was pretty consistently solid in everything English and computer related, and got the highest mark ever in math for technology (it sounds cool, but it was all tech based, mostly the slower kids took it). I got my OACs (Grade 13 university courses), but didn't go to university. I went to college.

College is not about what you know academically, to answer Der Swede's question. College, IMO, is a way to teach you how to play the game. Case in point, i have a college diploma. I drank and drugged my way through most every class. I was systematically withdrawn from the program each semester, and then readmitted cause i know how things work. College, with the exception of meeting Ian Jane, was just an expensive way to teach you that you can bullshit your way through just about everything in life.

Wostry Ferenc
09-11-2006, 09:14 AM
It's pretty safe to say the everyone who posts in this thread will have some kind of problem with authority... :)

Damian P
09-11-2006, 09:39 AM
It's pretty safe to say the everyone who posts in this thread will have some kind of problem with authority... :)

When I was in the 5th grade a cop told me I had a "chip on my shoulder." When I looked at my shoulder and said "I don't see a chip" he said "and you're a wiseass too." :o

mark t
09-11-2006, 10:11 AM
When I was in the 5th grade a cop told me I had a "chip on my shoulder." When I looked at my shoulder and said "I don't see a chip" he said "and you're a wiseass too." :o

He was right. :)

Wostry Ferenc
09-11-2006, 10:22 AM

I passionately hate cops, soldiers, priests, politicians, and never liked any of my teachers. Fuck, i just proved my own point...

William R.
09-11-2006, 01:56 PM
I have always had a huge problem with authority, and given my current situation I find this hilarious as, funny enough, I'm still giving authority a hard time. Which reminds me, I need to PM Tolch again.

mark t
09-11-2006, 02:25 PM
I have always had a huge problem with authority, and given my current situation I find this hilarious as, funny enough, I'm still giving authority a hard time. Which reminds me, I need to PM Tolch again.

Please do. I love getting PMs from people. Especially YOU, William R.....