PDA

View Full Version : Which DVD player to get? Denon?

Darren Nemeth
09-08-2006, 07:09 PM
I think I am finally going to break down and buy a DVD player before the end of the year. (then I will have to get a TV, too!!!)

SACD, CD, DVD, DVD-Audio are the formats I am going to use it for and am willing to pay up to $430 but no less than $300. I need something that will last me about 10 years or more.

There are a lot of models out there and I hear Dennon's are among the best made.

Any suggestions on a well built, high quality DVD player??

BTW, Audioreview.com is a great resource for customer reviews on AV stuff but finding a specific player got too overwhelming. Please help narrow down my choices!! :D

Eric A
09-08-2006, 08:06 PM
I would look into the Oppo Digital (http://www.oppodigital.com/) players, they do it all and have some of the highest ratings at Home Theatre Hifi. If my current player ever breaks, that's what I'm getting.

Alex D
09-08-2006, 08:16 PM
I would look into the Oppo Digital (http://www.oppodigital.com/) players, they do it all and have some of the highest ratings at Home Theatre Hifi. If my current player ever breaks, that's what I'm getting.

I have the Oppo 971 and it's great. I had a Denon 2900 before that and experienced numerous problems with playback of discs. It was VERY selective, discs that skipped and froze on the Denon play without any issues on the Oppo

Steve P.
09-08-2006, 09:00 PM
I've never owned Denon products myself, but I know of a few people who have and weren't very satisfied with the reliability.

$430 is a darn good budget for a DVD player. Believe it or not, I would consider going here: www.audiogon.com and look for a used Rotel DVD player. Their DVD players cost $700-800 brand new, but are warhorses and have great digital audio converters for music and feature HDCD decoding. In fact, Rotel is often considered "entry level" high end equipment. I believe most of their DVD players also play DVD-Audio.

Darren Nemeth
09-08-2006, 09:06 PM
I have the Oppo 971 and it's great. I had a Denon 2900 before that and experienced numerous problems with playback of discs. It was VERY selective, discs that skipped and froze on the Denon play without any issues on the Oppo
The Oppo sounds like a winner but for the low price is it really a well built player that will last me at least a decade or die out within the year?

Alex D
09-08-2006, 09:20 PM
The Oppo sounds like a winner but for the low price is it really a well built player that will last me at least a decade or die out within the year?

It's a quality player. I think they are bringing out a new version soon (with HDMI instead of DVI). The main drawback of the Oppo 971 is that it cannot output progressive scan via component, so it would be pointless buying it if that was your preferred connection. If you have the ability to connect it via HDMI (or DVI to HDMI to be precise...), it's a winner

Darren Nemeth
09-08-2006, 10:47 PM
It's a quality player. I think they are bringing out a new version soon (with HDMI instead of DVI). The main drawback of the Oppo 971 is that it cannot output progressive scan via component, so it would be pointless buying it if that was your preferred connection. If you have the ability to connect it via HDMI (or DVI to HDMI to be precise...), it's a winner

The new model is out now. The 970.

They say that it puts 2 to 3 second gaps between every track when playing SACD and DVD-Audio. Looks like I will have to look elsewhere. :(

Randy Thomas G
09-09-2006, 12:48 AM
I have two Panasonics (DVD and DVD-R recorder) which have never given me any trouble. My DVD player is over 5 years old and still works with no problems.

You should look to pick up a cheap all-region player or make sure you can crack the code of the player you do decide on.

Marshall Crist
12-01-2006, 11:30 PM
I was thinking about getting a Jaton because I want x/y scaling. Folly?

Wayne Schmidt
12-02-2006, 12:37 AM
I think I am finally going to break down and buy a DVD player before the end of the year. (then I will have to get a TV, too!!!)

SACD, CD, DVD, DVD-Audio are the formats I am going to use it for and am willing to pay up to $430 but no less than $300. I need something that will last me about 10 years or more.
Is the ability to play other region or PAL discs not an issue?

Ten years is a mighty long stretch in the fast moving world of digital electronics. That's almost the length of time since DVDs really broke out as a format. My original machine (a first generation Toshiba) was still functioning when I replaced it. I did that because new discs had features on them that weren't even in place (like seamless branching) which it obviously had problems with.

If money's no object by all means get the best player you can. But you could probably get something very nice for substantially less and it won't sting if you want to replace it in five to seven years.

Jesper Maintz
12-02-2006, 05:52 AM
I have the Oppo 971 and it's great. I had a Denon 2900 before that and experienced numerous problems with playback of discs. It was VERY selective, discs that skipped and froze on the Denon play without any issues on the OppoListen to the man. Please listen to the man. :D