PDA

View Full Version : Funkadelic records VS Parliament records

Matt A
09-08-2006, 12:24 PM
Seeing as how both bands featured many of the same players and George Clinton led them both there's no point in doing a band versus band poll so I'll just ask: Who's albums do you prefer?

While I enjoy Parliament I've always leaned toward Funkadelic, especially the records Eddie Hazel played on. By the end of the 70's the distinction between the sounds of the two groups became harder to make out - Funkadelic tracks like "(Not Just) Knee Deep" and "One Nation Under a Groove" could have easily been included on Parliament albums. The earlier Funkadelic though is much more rock based, almost moreso than they were funk or R&B.

So, my vote's with Funkadelic.

Scott Ruhl
09-08-2006, 01:37 PM
I love me some early Funkadelic. "Free Your Mind," "Maggot Brain" and "Let's Take It To the Stage" are awesomely AWESOME albums. However I love both bands juss about equal and am only missing a couple albums outta their output up until '81-82.

David Huber
09-08-2006, 02:32 PM
Funkadelic, easy. 'Maggot Brain', 'Standing on the Verge...', 'Free Your Mind...', etc. More Hazel = more fun.

Chris Poggiali
09-08-2006, 03:01 PM
Parliament records, for the most part, serve a dual function: you can get out on the floor and shake your ass to them or you can sink into your beanbag chair with a bong and just chill for 40 minutes. Also, the best of them ("Mothership Connection" to "The Motor-Booty Affair") serve as great concept records rather than just mixed-bag collections of songs. So, with a gun to my head and the key word being records, I'd have to say Parliament.

But I consider them the same group and would rather not choose.

Scott Ruhl
09-08-2006, 03:12 PM
The Parliament MOTHERSHIP CONNECTION dvd is pure uncut funk btw, if you don't have it I'ma tell your momma.

Scott Ruhl
09-08-2006, 03:14 PM
This one:

http://www.laserdisken.dk/billeder/forsidealm/40801.jpg

http://www.funkyvideos.com/images/P76/pfunk57.jpg

http://www.funkyvideos.com/images/P76/pfunk53.jpg

http://www.funkyvideos.com/images/P76/pfunk56.jpg

Nick McBride
09-08-2006, 04:59 PM
I couldn't vote. Parliament's got the Horny Horns, while Funkadelic had some great rock. How do you choose between Standing on the Verge, and the Mothership Connection? I'd probably lean toward Funkadelic but it doesn't seem right voting against Parliament.

William R.
09-08-2006, 05:00 PM
No Hazel, no nothing.

Don Guarisco
09-08-2006, 05:00 PM
I've always looked at it this way - Parliament was the studio-slick yet subversive take on commercial soul music while Funkadelic (up til ONE NATION at least) was the raw, dirty alternative to the heavy rock of the 1970's. I love both but they hit the ear in different ways and appeal to different moods. If I had to pick, I'd pick Funkadelic - specifically that stretch of records from MAGGOT BRAIN through LET'S TAKE IN TO THE STAGE. They rock, but it do it with maximum soul and plenty of freaky 'nastay'-ness on the side. You couldn't ask for more.

Chad Haden
09-08-2006, 07:10 PM
I guess if I have to choose, I'm gonna go with Funkadelic

Kristian R
09-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Funkadelic. "Maggot Brain" and "Red Hot Momma" kick my ass!

Graham Smith
09-08-2006, 08:11 PM
Funkadelic, if pushed.

Randy Thomas G
09-09-2006, 12:52 AM
The first few Funkadelic records with Hazel are essential. There are some great tunes on the Parliament records but they are much more uneven.

Adolph L.
09-09-2006, 02:07 AM
funkadelic all the way!

Chris Poggiali
09-09-2006, 09:53 AM
No Hazel, no nothing.

Then you're limiting yourself to only a handful of LPs -- like 2 or 3, with a smattering of playing on a couple of others. Dennis Coffey and Ray Monette handled most of the playing on the first Funkadelic album, Ron Bykowski took over for Cosmic Slop, Michael Hampton was the bomb on Tales of Kid Funkadelic and Hardcore Jollies...

William R.
09-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Then you're limiting yourself to only a handful of LPs -- like 2 or 3, with a smattering of playing on a couple of others. Dennis Coffey and Ray Monette handled most of the playing on the first Funkadelic album, Ron Bykowski took over for Cosmic Slop, Michael Hampton was the bomb on Tales of Kid Funkadelic and Hardcore Jollies...

I know this. I also tend to only listen to two Funkadelic albums and far more live material. Gots my Hazel dvd and everything.

Tim Mayer
09-11-2006, 09:07 AM
Go Maggot Brain.....