PDA

View Full Version : Derek Trucks Band On CBS This Weekend

Bill Pissott
09-07-2006, 09:19 PM
Saturday morning, September 9 on the CBS Saturday Early Show. Check local listings.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/03/24/opinion/smith/mai n1436609.shtml?CMP=ILC-SearchStories

A Great Guitarist
Harry Smith Is Awestruck By Derek Trucks' Musicianship

NEW YORK, NY
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----
Guitarist Derek Trucks. (Derek Trucks Band)

I was awestruck by his brilliant facility, but his dazzling fingers almost mask the even-more-impressive musicianship. He is an improvisational wonder.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----

(CBS) This column was written by CBS News Early Show co-anchor Harry Smith.
I'm a baby boomer and have certain very strong feelings about rock and roll. What is — The Rolling Stones. What isn't — most everything else.

I've painstakingly passed this wisdom on to one of my sons. So when he suggested a couple of years ago that we attend an Allman Brothers concert — southern blues — in New York, I said great.

Man, were we in for a treat. Most every year, the Allmans set up camp for a couple of weeks at the old Beacon Theatre on the Upper West Side. Concerts last hours, and each is its own tour de force.

We went again this year, and I'm beginning to believe their young guitarist Derek Trucks may be the best at his instrument I've ever heard. I was awestruck by his brilliant facility, but his dazzling fingers almost mask his even-more-impressive musicianship. He is an improvisational wonder — rich, death-defying blues licks infused with a catalogue of influences.

Rock legend Peter Frampton shared the stage with Trucks — and even he was blown away.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/11/15/earlyshow/saturday/main529567.sht ml

They Make A 'Joyful Noise'

NEW YORK, NY
(CBS)

(CBS) It's a double bill at The Saturday Early Show's Second Cup Café this weekend, as bluesy singer-songwriter Susan Tedeschi drops in with husband Derek Trucks, leader of The Derek Trucks Band.

It's the first time the two have appeared together on national television. Susan was a Grammy nominee for best new artist, and has a new album coming out next week called "Wait For Me." Derek Trucks, regarded as one of the best slide guitarists in the world, also has a new album - it's called "Joyful Noise."

On "Joyful Noise," Susan lends sultry soul to the Joe Tex tune "Baby, You're Right," first popularized by James Brown in 1962. While the band has recorded with Susan a few times in the past, this is the first time they've released a track with her.

It was also Susan's first time singing since giving birth in March 2002 to Charlie, the couple's first child.

Derek's musical career began when he was 9, when he picked up a $5 acoustic guitar at a yard sale. He got his first paying gig at age 11 and formed his first band at age 12.

In 1999, Derek was asked to join the Allman Brothers Band, taking over slide guitar duty. When your childhood heroes ask you to play, "no" is hardly an option. But with so much invested in the Derek Trucks Band, breaking up the group was also out of the question. Derek decided to balance the two, and between them he keeps up an extensive touring schedule that leaves little time at home in Jacksonville, Florida.

Tedeschi has played guitar and sung since childhood, including several years in church choir. She formed her first band at 13, and was on the Boston club scene before she finished high school. By the mid-1990s, her eponymous blues combo was one of New England's biggest draws.

John M. Bernhard
09-07-2006, 11:55 PM
Derek and Susan are touring together this fall ( playing the sonically astounding Berklee Performing Arts Center in Boston ). I saw Derek listed over at RockonTV but did not know his honey was gonna be on there too. This is why I love my DVR with hard drive!
This show airs before I like to get out of bed on Saturdays, so I'll set up for it Friday night.

Bill Pissott
09-08-2006, 12:04 AM
I think the show starts at 7AM in New York. I'll more then likely be up since my damn body clock gets me up so early, even on weekends but just in case, I'm setting the Tivo also.

Yeah, Susan can sure play and she's not a bad looker either :)

http://www.inmusic2000.de/POP_Queens/M-POP_Queens/A-POP_Queens/B-POP_Queens/C-POP_Queens/susanTedeschi01.jpg

Bill Pissott
09-09-2006, 06:46 PM
Nice showing from the DTB this morning on CBS. The kid is really nice and down to earth and man, to be able to play like that. The group did nice versions of "I Wish I Knew" and "Key To The Highway". Worth being up early for :)