PDA

View Full Version : New Wave Face-Off #1: Squeeze vs. The Police

Bill Pissott
09-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Might or might not do more of these depending on how I feel but I'll leave the door open for possibly more.

So, who floats your boat more? Squeeze or The Police?

Gary Banks
09-07-2006, 11:10 AM
Why am I drawing a blank on Squeeze?

Do know if I hear "Roxanne" one more fucking time I'm going to scream.

Mike Brown
09-07-2006, 11:12 AM
I mildly enjoy a few tunes by these two bands, but don't really prefer either enough to vote. Sorry Bill. :)

mark t
09-07-2006, 11:24 AM
I liked Squeeze...I guess i still might, but haven't listened to them in years.

I was never a big Police fan, but i'll give them the edge in musical ability and songwriting. Sting kinda grates on my nerves lately, but Synchronicity is a great album.

Bill Pissott
09-07-2006, 11:27 AM
Very difficult choice for me. I like both bands alot, particularly the early stuff. Slight, very slight edge to The Police.

Aleck Bennett
09-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Squeeze. Wryly humorous, honest, intelligent and soulful. Pop at its best. Difford and Tillbrook are among my favorite songwriters, and the band (and its ever-rotating roster of members) has always been tight. The Police could be a great band, and have done their fair share of great songs, but Sting tends to irk me -- his arrogant and dictatorial leadership of the group was always kind of off-putting, and his exploration of his influences (jazz, reggae) always came off as forced and artificial to me (Elvis Costello said it best when he said "Someone needs to clip Sting about the ears and tell him to stop singing in that fake Jamaican accent!").

Jonathan Daniels
09-07-2006, 12:02 PM
I have to go with the Police simply because I'm fairly unfamiliar with the Squeeze. :)

The Police were a very frustrating band. I truly feel that they could have been a much "better" band given the talent of the three members (it would be impossible for them to have been any more successful though). Too many bad choices. I think their third album (Zenyatta Mondatta) is their best and it's somewhat downhill from there. There are some nice moments on Ghost in the Machine and Synchronicity but neither do it for me. I think the sound is a little too slick on both. Ghost has too many horns and too much filler. Synchronicity has some great songs but I don't like many of the arrangements.

I think the best thing about the Police is the tight rhythm section of Sting and Stewart Copeland. Stewart is truly one of my favorite drummers. Great style and always interesting. Sting's basslines were usually quite simple yet perfect for the song. They are both very underrated players.

These are my favorite tracks:

"Message in a Bottle"
"Reggatta de Blanc"
"Bring on the Night"
"Walking on the Moon"
"Don't Stand So Close to Me"
"Driven to Tears"
"When the World Is Running Down, You Make the Best of What's Still Around"
"De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da"
"Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic"
"Omegaman"
"Synchronicity I"
"Synchronicity II"
"King of Pain"

Jonathan Douglas
09-07-2006, 12:13 PM
I hate Sting (solo) with a flaming passion, but I dig The Police more than Squeeze, except the pop classic "Cool for Cats" of course, which is great.

Mike Howlett
09-07-2006, 12:50 PM
I'm going with Squeeze solely on Glen Tillbrook's voice. But I hate some songs by them (most of Jules Holland's stuff) and don't know a good portion of the later stuff.

I love the first 2 Police records, but subsequent years have really soured me to Mr. Sting... enough to taint some of the better stuff after those 2 records. Andy Sommers is a helluava guitarist, though.

Bill Pissott
09-07-2006, 01:15 PM
I think both bands are equally talented songwriters but I think The Police are better musicians. And not many folks have written a more brooding song then "Beds Too Big Without You" :)

Matt A
09-07-2006, 01:30 PM
The first 3 Police albums are fantastic. Great stuff.

I don't know a whole lot about Sqeeze but The Police were a great, great band.

Josh S
09-07-2006, 01:32 PM
I've never even heard of Squeeze. The Police would still win for inspiring:

Roooooooooooss can!

David Huber
09-07-2006, 02:37 PM
The Police, by far. Their albums are all, in one way or another, classics; Squeeze was a band that never really thrilled me, even the singles.

THe Police's early stuff was raucous and fun, but even their later, slicker material was light years ahead of most of the pop stuff around in the 80s. 'Every Breath You Take' and 'King of Pain' are two of the catchiest songs about stalking and death ever written :)

Gary Banks
09-07-2006, 03:24 PM
"Every orgasm you fake,
Every shit you take,
I'll be watching yoooouuuuuu....." :eek:

Mike Brown
09-07-2006, 03:26 PM
I've decided to write in XTC. ;)

Gord Reller
09-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Dig tha Police! Even go fo' some of that Sting thing. So sue me!

Jonathan Douglas
09-07-2006, 03:39 PM
I've decided to write in XTC. ;)
Great band, better than Police and Squeeze together.

Horace Cordier
09-07-2006, 03:40 PM
The POLICE for me.

I think SQUEEZE have some insanely catchy tracks, and I like the band from what I've heard - but I really dig the first two POLICE albums, and I agree with Bill about them being better musicians.

Bill Pissott
09-07-2006, 03:50 PM
I'm a little surprised in that I thought this would be a bit closer and more folks would be more aware or familiar with Squeeze, especially since they were one of the real first New Wave era bands.

mark t
09-07-2006, 04:38 PM
I can't think of SQUEEZE without getting annoyed by the chorus of HOURGLASS. :)

Bill Pissott
09-07-2006, 05:01 PM
I understand Tolch. For me, Argy Bargy just holds a huge place in my heart. I still get giddy when I hear "Another Nail For My Heart". :)

John G.
09-07-2006, 05:42 PM
I love the Police... great GREAT band! I think Regatta de Blanc was their best but if you ask me they never released a bad album.

Jonathan Douglas
09-07-2006, 05:57 PM
"Ghost In The Machine" for me.

Chad Haden
09-07-2006, 06:48 PM
I went with Squeeze, I just listened to "Singles: 45 and Under" last night

Howard Farmer
09-07-2006, 07:04 PM
Squeeze because they're not The Police. Not as familiar with their albums but they never really annoyed me like The Police did. Too bad because The Police did one album that I liked most of (Synchronicity?) but that could never redeem them from Roxanne.

Bill Pissott
09-07-2006, 07:39 PM
I think Regatta de Blanc was their best

I agree. Love that album!

Paul Casey
09-07-2006, 07:44 PM
I like Squeeze, but The Police have so many songs I love. Plus, Klark Kent (S. Copeland's solo) is fuckin' great!!

Oh yeah, and Sting's real name is easily confused with ALF's.

mark t
09-07-2006, 10:47 PM
Oh yeah, and Sting's real name is easily confused with ALF's.

I'm a little frightened that i remembered ALF's real name before Sting's. :eek:

BobG
09-08-2006, 12:50 AM
I'm a little surprised in that I thought this would be a bit closer and more folks would be more aware or familiar with Squeeze, especially since they were one of the real first New Wave era bands.

It can't help that Squeeze's catalog is barely in print. I think the only things available in the U.S. are the aforemantioned "Singles, 45 and Under" and another comp that barely scratches the surface. I want "Argybargy" and "East Side Story," dammit!

Bill Pissott
09-08-2006, 12:59 AM
It can't help that Squeeze's catalog is barely in print. I think the only things available in the U.S. are the aforemantioned "Singles, 45 and Under" and another comp that barely scratches the surface. I want "Argybargy" and "East Side Story," dammit!

That's a good point. Rhapsody has "East Side Story".

William R.
09-08-2006, 01:42 AM
It's not difficult got me at all. It's all about The Poilice.

The Squeeze can go rub on off in the corner and disappear.

Adolph L.
09-08-2006, 07:35 PM
definately the police