PDA

View Full Version : "Sometimes When We Touch" - Dan Hill

Bill Pissott
09-06-2006, 07:30 PM
Is it true that this song is really about an incestual relationship between a brother and a sister?

At times I understand you
And I know how hard you try
I've watched while love commands you
And I've watched love pass you by
At times I think we're drifters
Still searching for a friend
A brother or a sister
But then the passion flares again

And sometimes when we touch
The honesty's too much
And I have to close my eyes
And hide
I wanna hold you till I die
Till we both break down and cry
I wanna hold you till the fear in me subsides

Paul A J Lewis
09-06-2006, 07:53 PM
I always interpreted it as a song about someone who is wary of exposing themselves ('The honesty's too much') to their lover, and thus the 'brother or a sister' line is a metaphor: a way of distancing him/herself from the passion in their relationship, which 'flares again'. It's about someone whose instincts override their passion or their need for love.

Cheers,
Paul

Bill Pissott
09-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Thanks Paul. Your's is as good an interpretation as any. I personally don't think the song is about a "forbidden" love affair but when the song was first released, there were rumors that it could be. Not due entirely to the brother/sister line in the song, that was part of it. But also lines like "sometimes when we touch, the honesty's too much", i.e, I shouldn't be touching you and I know it. Also "I have to close my eyes and hide. I wanna hold you till I die, till we both break down and cry, I wanna hold you till the fear in me subsides". i.e., we know it's wrong, I'm ashamed and it's killing me inside.

Again, mainly rumors but I was wondering if those rumors circulated widely or just among the large circle of idiots I hung out with or associated with :)

David Huber
09-06-2006, 08:32 PM
I LOVE this song. I have it on one of my Rhino 70s CDs, and it's the most singable song this side of a Manilow tune. I would karaoke this song.

Bill Pissott
09-06-2006, 08:35 PM
A huge hit back in the day. I really like the song.

Chad Haden
09-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Oh yeah, it's the Geico song right?

Horace Cordier
09-07-2006, 01:45 AM
I like the song too, but I'll never listen to it the same way after Bill's post though. :eek:

Max Page
09-07-2006, 04:19 AM
well in the U.S the 45 version edits that verse about "brother or a sister" so wonder if the record execs feared the radio stations would misinterprete it?

Bill Pissott
09-07-2006, 08:14 AM
I like the song too, but I'll never listen to it the same way after Bill's post though. :eek:

Well, don't take it as gospel Ace. Might just be the ramblings of some lunkheads who mentioned to me that the song was really about that. I'm trying to sorta validate that rumor by wanting to see if anyone else heard the same thing. So far, no. Perhaps it's just a nice little love song afterall. :)

Bill Pissott
09-07-2006, 08:15 AM
well in the U.S the 45 version edits that verse about "brother or a sister" so wonder if the record execs feared the radio stations would misinterprete it?

Possibly. But didn't the radio cuts of the song include the brother/sister line?

Max Page
09-07-2006, 11:33 PM
Possibly. But didn't the radio cuts of the song include the brother/sister line?

not the original 45/radio cut from 78. It cut out the entire verse that began with "at times I understand you", which included the brother or a sister part, I think the 45 cut is in the Rhino CD.

Bill Pissott
09-07-2006, 11:35 PM
not the original 45/radio cut from 78. It cut out the entire verse that began with "at times I understand you", which included the brother or a sister part, I think the 45 cut is in the Rhino CD.

Very interesting. Thanks for that info.

Jason Allen
09-08-2006, 01:06 AM
Oh yeah, it's the Geico song right?
Yep. It was pulled because some animal rights dong suckers thought that Ashley Laurence dancing with a cartoon gecko implied beastiality.

Fred Adelman
09-08-2006, 01:28 AM
Yep. It was pulled because some animal rights dong suckers thought that Ashley Laurence dancing with a cartoon gecko implied beastiality.

Ashley Laurence should be dancing with Cenobites, not some horny lizard. I'm glad I complained. :D

BTW: I always thought this song did imply incest. At least when it was first released. There was a big discussion about it when I was in college. The consensus was 50/50, but I think we spent too much time analysing the lyrics and not enough time enjoying the music. It reminds me of PUFF THE MAGIC DRAGON and the way people implied that it was a metaphor for pot smoking. After toking on a fattie, I'd have to say no.

Bill Pissott
09-08-2006, 08:18 AM
BTW: I always thought this song did imply incest. At least when it was first released. There was a big discussion about it when I was in college.

Alright! I thought my geek friends and I were the only ones to ever discuss it :)

Chad Haden
09-08-2006, 08:34 AM

Cartoon lizards - bad
songs about touching your sister's naughty bits - ok